Full Battle Company - Finished Infantry - First Razorback

twopounder

I'm currently in the process of finally restructuring my army as a whole. I've wanted to wait until I had suitable time and do it on the heels of a codex so I can maximize the time I'll be able to use it. My current tally stands at:

Ready for painting:

• 5 scouts
  • 4 lascannons

In production:

• 12 Razorbacks
  • 10 company veterans w/ grav-pistol, bolt pistol
  • 10 company veterans (command squad, 2x banners, all with grav-guns)
  • 10 assault marines (no jump packs, 4x flamers, 2x combi-grav guns)
  • 30 tactical marines (5 combi-grav guns, 1 lascannon, betrayal at calth marines + DA upgrade sprue shoulder pads)
  • Company master with foe smiter
  • Generic chaplain

On Order:

• Betrayal at Calth (full box)
  • Interrogator-Chaplain (new one with power fist)
  • tons of grav weapons

Still Needing Order

• Dual Assault Cannon Turret System
  • 8 grav-cannons
  • 2 razorbacks

Current 2500 Point List

Pics:

http://orig08.deviantart.net/4d07/f/2015/189/b/a/img_20150708_151136_1__by_s3dition-d90hq43.jpg

http://orig10.deviantart.net/2099/f/2015/189/2/7/img_20150708_151144_1__by_s3dition-d90hqad.jpg

http://orig06.deviantart.net/e3cf/f/2015/189/2/c/img_20150708_151153_1__by_s3dition-d90hqid.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you thought about swapping out some of those Razorbacks for Drop Pods at all? I have been playing around with the idea of a full battle, and overhauling and adding to my army much as you are doing now. I was thinking about half with Razorbacks and the the other in Drop pods, this way you would get a turn one strike that your enemy would have to deal with, maybe even pop some armor or tie up some units. Then if you go DW you would have turn two reinforcements that are DS'ing in. Which should help the survivability of your Razorbacks as they get in to position and move up.

Command Squads, Assault Squads, and dreadnoughts are good candidates for pods. Just something I have been looking at doing and thought you might have an interest in. If you go all Razorbacks you might want to go RW to get into your enemies line faster and draw fire from your armor, and If you give your scouts bolters and cloaks this would get them into close proximity along with your Fast RW which would also buy your Razors / Tacs some time to get into position.

Best of luck and will be interested in seeing which route you go.

• 6 months later...

My buddy was just deployed to Japan for 2 years (My heart bleeds for him /sarcasm). He was originally going to send me all of his marines, but only sent the transports and dreadnoughts. This is fine. To accompany that, I ordered some extra goodies (and will be ordering more goodies soon):

http://orig01.deviantart.net/bef2/f/2016/050/7/9/img_20160219_182351_by_s3dition-d9se28t.jpg

The blisters are:

3x DA upgrade sprues

(I wanted everything below to add to my NIB collector stash)

Azrael

Ezekial

Cypher

Standard Bearer

I'm going to fix up the dreadnoughts and make them unforgiven and purchase the following:

3x Nephalim/Dark Talon

2x Vengeance/Dark Shroud

Betrayal at Calth

Interrogator Chaplain (because the model is so badass)

A bunch of grav cannons/guns off ebay

The plan:

I'm slowely working up towards the SaG 14 free razorback list. It's on my bucket list, so I have to try it at least once. I'm at about 10 potential razorbacks now, so getting close.

I'm planning on putting all the grav weapon on the betrayal at calth models. The 1st legion is supposed to have a large cache of pre-heresy technology, So I feel that mixing the older marks of power armor with grav weapons will work really well in a lion's blade. The 3 upgrade sprues are meant to add extra flavor to the BaC models.

Finally, after using 3 dreadnoughts in a game against a grey knight player (and watch them move through his army like a wrecking ball on meth), I figured it would be nice to augment them. With these new dreadnoughts, my 4 original, and these guys, I'll be able to drop 9 on the table and just see where things go from there.

That's all for this update, but I'm planning on spending off in March doing nothing but modeling/painting.

where do u buy jewlers chain?

It was actually chain rigging for 18th century ship models. One of the local hobby stores used to carry them. They're made of copper. Unfortunately the place went out of business and I have no clue who made them. I got them over 10 years ago.

Have you thought about swapping out some of those Razorbacks for Drop Pods at all? I have been playing around with the idea of a full battle, and overhauling and adding to my army much as you are doing now. I was thinking about half with Razorbacks and the the other in Drop pods, this way you would get a turn one strike that your enemy would have to deal with, maybe even pop some armor or tie up some units. Then if you go DW you would have turn two reinforcements that are DS'ing in. Which should help the survivability of your Razorbacks as they get in to position and move up.

Command Squads, Assault Squads, and dreadnoughts are good candidates for pods. Just something I have been looking at doing and thought you might have an interest in. If you go all Razorbacks you might want to go RW to get into your enemies line faster and draw fire from your armor, and If you give your scouts bolters and cloaks this would get them into close proximity along with your Fast RW which would also buy your Razors / Tacs some time to get into position.

Best of luck and will be interested in seeing which route you go.

Totally missed this question.

Not really. I'm not a big fan of drop pods. In general, power armor is pretty easy to kill and not much of a distraction unless it's in cover. I see the assault squad as more of a tax, so if I can get part of that back with a razorback, I'm going to to. I also need to update my list, as I'm planning on replacing much of it with grav weapons. The trick is being very careful about wargear and upgrades.

EDIT:

Though dropping a few dreads with heavy flamers on the opponent can create a nice bit of havok.

The insanity is in painting an entire battle company all at once...

Chunks at a time my friend. Chunks at a time.

So, I'm officially at 12 razorbacks, but they need to be fixed up. Two more and I'll have the full 14 free razorback madness.

I ordered tons of grav weaponry - grav pistols, combi-grav, and the top combi-grav section to convert full grav-guns. I still need to purchase some grav-cannons, but they're currently $13 a pop on ebay, so I'll probably go for some Kromlech.

Betrayal at Calth is on its way, so I can use the DA shoulder pads to mix in with the pre-heresy armor. That should add a lot of flavor to my army. The whole "ancient tech" thing is migrating from plasma to grav. Maybe I can inspire GW to make us the grav army now :P.

I'll update with pics when the stuff arrives. I'm currently working on the 2500 point list. I'm strongly considering adding assault cannons to each razorback. It's extra points, but a lot more firepower.

Updated picture. No new stuff yet, but I metered out my assault cannons. I currently have 12 that are ready to go, with another 4 that need some work. Definitely enough for all the razorbacks:

http://orig11.deviantart.net/abc1/f/2016/054/f/6/img_20160223_165643_by_s3dition-d9svqsw.jpg

Are you planning to have the assault cannons on all of them?  That is a serious amount of fire power with rends on 6's.  How do you plan on mounting all of them? 

Are you planning to have the assault cannons on all of them?  That is a serious amount of fire power with rends on 6's.  How do you plan on mounting all of them? 

I'm still working out the finer details. I have several assault cannons from the old land raider crusader (with the massive pewter assault cannons) and a total of 11 pairs from the ravenwing upgrade sprues.

The ravenwing versions have a kind of mount that is supposed to attach them to the underside of a land speeder. at least 3 vehicles have the proper weapon mount (though one is missing the top splinter shield).

So that leaves me with 9. I'd rather not mount them upside down, though I'm not averse to it. I'm much more worried about making some sort of proper turret so they aren't just "there".

EDIT:

And yes, very much serious fire power. The majority of my units have grav weapons (10 pistols on veterans, 8 grav cannons for devastators, 10 grav-guns for command squad, and a combi-grav for each sergeant). 5 of the tactical squads have lascannons.

The assault cannons are the anti light/medium infantry weapons.

Looking at some of your other posts and threads, you are acquainted with 3D modeling and printing. You may have to consider going that route. I have had some success with PLA filament. I've had to sand and fill but the results are take a little time to get right but the price is right on producing the parts. I have a basic one piece turret that was designed for PLA printing. They fit the side sponson weapons from the predator kits and the heavy flamers from the LCR kits. I am also working on antoher to be printed with resin. That way I could get more detail out of it but nothing beats the originals from GW. Here's CAD pics.

sml_gallery_83962_10975_2589.jpg

sml_gallery_83962_10975_17422.jpg

Looking at some of your other posts and threads, you are acquainted with 3D modeling and printing. You may have to consider going that route. I have had some success with PLA filament. I've had to sand and fill but the results are take a little time to get right but the price is right on producing the parts. I have a basic one piece turret that was designed for PLA printing. They fit the side sponson weapons from the predator kits and the heavy flamers from the LCR kits. I am also working on antoher to be printed with resin. That way I could get more detail out of it but nothing beats the originals from GW. Here's CAD pics.

sml_gallery_83962_10975_2589.jpg

sml_gallery_83962_10975_17422.jpg

I have put serious thought into it. I'm already up against the wall as far as budget and time goes. It wouldn't be too much to make the parts (they're as simple as simple can get), but still generally need a 3 week lead time to get the parts, and I only have a one week window to get a jump on building/painting coming up in march.

white polished would probably work for everything but the turret shield. It's only .49 per cm3 of material, but 11 of these would probably still run $30.

I could save on material and a turret shield if I keep it low profile. Maybe I'll give that a try. Hmm. I have a few ideas to work with now.

Some of the stuff is starting to roll in. Just got some of the combi-grav and.... the Betrayal at Calth set! Boy that thing is heavier than I expected. I'm going to apply the upgrades to the BaC marines to make DA in their proper, relic based garb. I really wanted to get the forgeworld DA heads, but $60 is just too much for some heads. I'm still on the lookout for some reasonably priced alternatives.

http://orig04.deviantart.net/f1c5/f/2016/055/5/f/img_20160224_233952_by_s3dition-d9t14tk.jpg

Looks like you'll be busy for a while there TP!

How are you planning on dispersing the MkIV armour throughout your company? I'm asking because I'm toying with the same idea, and spreading the older armour through my AoA (command squad, vets, sergeants etc). But 30 suits might be a bit much for one company, just wondering your plans

Looks like you'll be busy for a while there TP!

How are you planning on dispersing the MkIV armour throughout your company? I'm asking because I'm toying with the same idea, and spreading the older armour through my AoA (command squad, vets, sergeants etc). But 30 suits might be a bit much for one company, just wondering your plans

Mostly it's going to be the heavy and grav weaponry. This means sergeants, veterans, and command squads for the most part.

It may seem odd to have that many older marks, but keep in mind that Dark Angels are known for having many relics and an abundance of pre-heresy technology. It's a big part of why I wanted to integrate the BaC set into my collection. 

Alright, last post for the night. I have 90% of the turret done. So far they're about $5 each, but I think (hope) I can reduce them down a little more. I plan on adding the ability to put the assault cannon lantern in the middle for a bit more flavor:

http://orig04.deviantart.net/5039/f/2016/056/e/1/razorbackturret_by_s3dition-d9t4rb6.jpg

http://orig12.deviantart.net/8b55/f/2016/056/3/9/razorbackturret2_by_s3dition-d9t4rb8.jpg

http://orig15.deviantart.net/d504/f/2016/056/9/a/razorbackturret4_by_s3dition-d9t4rbf.jpg

http://orig01.deviantart.net/a821/f/2016/056/3/7/razorbackturret3_by_s3dition-d9t4rbb.jpg

Fun facts:

The turret shield size is 50% (10mm) of the normal razorback turret shield.

Each turret has less than 4 cm3 of material

The entire thing will be two pieces when finished - the ring and gun support will be one piece and the turret shield will be the second.

That is a nice looking turret! It will look better with the smaller assault cannons.  I cannot wait to see some final products. What material are you printing with?

Archived