army painter:warpaint......any good?

i think thtitle says it all. i had ordered some citadels but having problems getting delivered to rural alaska. but, i can get army painter stuff. how do they flow, and what kind of color saturation do they have.

AP tends to be a little on the thick side and really benefits from a little flow-aid. Color Saturation is very high. The nicest thing about the AP stuff is the color matched sprays and bottle paints. I'm very fond of their "Demonic Yellow" spray and bottle paints for excellent yellow coverage.

It's actually random. The black is very thin and flows nicely, though you should still thin it a little bit. I've had two bottles of Army Painter Grey. One was just fine, about average consistency. My newest bottle for some reason was VERY thick and pretty much had to be thinned. Like, hobby store acrylic thick. It wasn't an old bottle either, since it was very crisp and new, and the entire dropper was jam packed to the brim with paint so it's not like the medium evaporated.

I think it's a good line, I'd say it's inferior to Vallejo and somewhat comparable to Citadel. Sometimes better sometimes worse. The colored sprays, cheap brushes, and various basing bits is what really make Army Painter. The Warpaints are sort of just an afterthought or a tool to match the primer, IMO.

Their washes are amazing though. Perfect copies of Citadel washes and they have Badab Black and Devlan Mud copies too.

Not the best stuff, but certainly more affordable and efficient than GW's paints. I'm especially fond of that quickshade. Cheating was never so fun!

It's actually random. The black is very thin and flows nicely, though you should still thin it a little bit. I've had two bottles of Army Painter Grey. One was just fine, about average consistency. My newest bottle for some reason was VERY thick and pretty much had to be thinned. Like, hobby store acrylic thick. It wasn't an old bottle either, since it was very crisp and new, and the entire dropper was jam packed to the brim with paint so it's not like the medium evaporated.

I think it's a good line, I'd say it's inferior to Vallejo and somewhat comparable to Citadel. Sometimes better sometimes worse. The colored sprays, cheap brushes, and various basing bits is what really make Army Painter. The Warpaints are sort of just an afterthought or a tool to match the primer, IMO.

Their washes are amazing though. Perfect copies of Citadel washes and they have Badab Black and Devlan Mud copies too.

Any advice for a good water:paint ratio for them? I've been encountering some inconsistency myself, and I really don't want to ruin a blob of paint on my pallet by squeezing out too much water from the dropper I use.

Archived