ETL prep: Chaos Shadow Wolves Colour Schemes Advice

Hi, I come here today to ask for your advice, Brothers and Sisters, about a colour scheme.
As you may know, my main army is a chaotic offshoot of the Chapter known as the Shadow Wolves. You may also know that their official colour scheme has become this :
med_gallery_39941_11034_658438.jpg

I have stripped my models (not because of the official change, just because they were pretty ugly in my more mature eye) and I would like to use a variant of the official scheme for my marines. Here are my tentative schemes, knowing that my warband is fragmented between four "great
companies", each venerating one of the major chaos gods. (Please imagine that they would also have a helmet band of the same colour as the chest symbol and knees, and that the weapons would have the same colours as the shoulder pad inlays)

Tzeentch (Tchar)
http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/15/92/38/07/tchar_10.png (the lighter blue is metallic blue)

Khorne(Arkhar)
http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/15/92/38/07/arkhar10.png (the yellow is gold)

Slaanesh(Shornaal)
http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/15/92/38/07/shorna10.png (The purple is metallic purple)

Nurgle(Onoghal)
http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/15/92/38/07/onogha10.png (the brown is verdigris'd bronze)

I have two questions :

• Do you think that I should paint the grey colours metallic or "mat" ? I'm pretty sure the loyalist version is two shades of grey, but I'm afraid that grey may look a bit dull. On the other hand, I'm afraid that silver or boltgun metal are overly used in different chapters, legions and warbands in power armour armies... Of course I can also paint the legs in silver and the chest in grey, or the other way round... I don't really know what to do for the best.
  • What do you think of my colour schemes ? comments, remarks and critics are welcome :-)

The shoulder/power pack colour you've chosen is very close to the colour of my Raven Guard. It's a mix of 4:1 Abandons Black:Dark Reaper.

With regards to the other colour, take a look at some Grey Knight painting tutorials - I think it'll look great.

Cool theme.

Thanks for the tips.

The thing is, I don't really want them to look like grey knights, but I'll have a look, see if I can make a variation. So you'd recommend with going with the silver rather than the grey ?

• 10 months later...

Right, I'm resurrecting this thread (hey, I'm allowed to, I started it :P)

I still haven't got round to painting these chaps again since last year, but as it turns out, that's perfect for ETL V !

I've been mulling the colour scheme over a bit more, and I've made a few decisions:

• They are going to be mat grey rather than silver. One of the main reasons being that my HH is going to be Iron Warriors.
  • I'm going to be keeping secondary colours for each chaos god, though I'm shuffling them around a bit: Blue is still Tzeentch, red is still Khorne, but pale-flesh-colour will be Nurgle and I'll try some kind of golden yellow for Slaanesh. What I'll be trying is to paint the inlay a light grey first, then knotwork patterns in silver, and then a coloured glaze over the top.

Now, another thing is that I've turned off the idea of horned helmets, so I've chopped all of mine off. The problem is that they look extremely like loyalist marines (especially for those models that don't have Anvilus pattern backpacks). I've been trying to think of ways for making them look more sinister than their loyalist counterparts, so that they'll still look like Chaos Space Marines, rather than just Space Marines:

• Applying Nuln oil generously to the armour to make the shadows stand out more
  • Painting the occulars black - possibly with a bit of black "OSL" around them, though I don't think I'm skilled enough for that yet, and even then I don't know what it would look like
  • Trying black (or coloured ?) lightning motifs
  • glowing rune patterns...

So yeah, I've had several ideas, but I'm not sure how effective they'll be, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could say what they think would be best, be it amongst these ideas, or giving me their own :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Oh, I forgot to ask about Chaos marks.

I intend to represent the mark of Khorne by a red crown painted on the helms (they believe Khorne has promissed them each a kingdom upon their victory, and so these are the "Eighty-eight Kings"), and the mark of Tzeentch by shields, but I have no idea for Nurgle or Slaanesh.

In my fluff, I want to theme my Shadow Wolves a bit like the Anglo-Saxon "North Sea Empire", with a few bits of the Norman Conquerors under William the First for Nurgle forces, if that's any help smile.png

Archived