Clerics WiP Successor Chapter - We're back!

Father Mehman

It's great to see the Clerics progressing.  I am liking the Int Chap build.  The deamon's head makes for a sick looking Crozius.  I really like the idea that the recruits are nameless and when they get their armour they get their new name.  Keep up the great work!

Second that!

Well I just sat and read three months worth of updates while downloading a Windows update. Wow! I don't normally follow DIY chapter topics for very long but the esoteric/hermetic angle has me hooked. I'm here for the long haul now.

Keep up the good work. :tu:

Cheers, brothers :biggrin.:! You all are too kind with your words but I will take them gladly and with much humbleness. It's not everyday your favourite people come out to say hello :laugh.:!

@Epher- You don't know how glad I am that they are showing a bit of progression. Painting-wise it's all going to the Interrogator-Chaplain at the moment. He needs to be awesome mainly to show those sons of Dorn who does the black panoply of war better. He also needs to be awesome to show everyone how the Dark Angels Forum rolls- Unforgiven style.

The Crozius was a fun project. It started off as a Power Axe and the skull from the Grey Knights Strike Squad kit. It just didn't work; too small for an honoured Crozius. Then I thought back to my days of Fantasy and knew where my salvation slumbered: Beastmen. It always leads to the Beasts. Anyway, I took the banner top from one of those holy kits but was still left perplexed. The arm wasn't dynamic enough. We're talking about an Interrogator-Chaplain here, not a mere Chaplain. A few months ago, I was tinkering with a Tactical Squad, the Sergeant in particular. The Power Maul arm from the Dark Angels Veteran Upgrade kit is one wicked looking piece of plastic but, unluckily enough, it has a small Dark Angels trinket below the wrist. Well, as everyone can guess, that piece was removed ever-so-slightly and the whole area around the missing piece was shaped to look as natural as possible. The maul head was snipped off, the connector piece was shaped a bit to support the skull, and after a bit of glue, the weapon arm was ready.

That it turned out well in your mind makes me happy. I don't try to impress but it's always great to hear that I've done it.

The whole namelessness idea came from just sitting there writing about what Possum had rhetorically questioned of me. I'm very glad he did because that bit would have never been discovered. I'm a firm believer of letting your story tell itself through you. There is a lot about the Clerics that I don't know and they're my own creation. I listen to what they want me to tell by automatic writing. All the ideas everyone leaves me in this thread are like fuel for my automatic writing and I can't thank each and every one of you enough :thanks: ! Again, if I could, I'd hug every one of you.

If I may switch topics for a bit? I'd like to touch on what automatic writing is and how to do it as I think there are a lot of stories out there in people's minds that, for whatever reason, can't come out. That's a travesty. If this helps one person, I've done my job. Alright, here goes:

Automatic writing is writing without direction in one long, continuous string of thought. "Alright, that's all well and good, Meh. How do we do it?" Easy (or not depending on your personality type)!

First, start with a topic. Let's think about something small. How do the Clerics view the Fallen, for example? You start off with what you know about what you're writing about. We know the Clerics are Daemon killers and banishers that use hermetic, occult, and esoteric lore to fulfill these deeds. We also know that they exterminate those that would treat with the Fell Powers. Alright, good start. What do we know of the Fallen? Basically, they are the dark secret of our primogenitor Chapter, the Dark Angels. They are those brothers that were lured to Chaos by Luther. I know there is more to the Fallen but we're going for "nutshell" here. Now, I would start writing about different ways, reasons why, and reasons how the Clerics view these heretics. Here's a sample of what I came up with a few days ago.

Upon their Founding, the Clerics' Chapter Master, Grand Master Elias Trisrex, learned of the shameful past of the Dark Angels and its Successors. He acknowledged the gravity of the situation and then vowed to hunt the Fallen for eternity by announcing: "We hunt the Daemon and those that would treat with them. Call the heretics what you wish after they are on the pyre."

Previous to that session of automatic writing, I had no idea how they viewed the Fallen. Well, I actually thought they didn't care anything about them. Now I have a quote from their first Grandmaster about how the Chapter feels. To me, that's pretty cool :happy.:!

Thank you, Brother Epher, for the compliments. They mean a lot, as you well know. In fact, I needed those to lift my day a bit :smile.:!

@GMB- Thirded :tongue.:! No, I joke. Thank you very much for the sentiment, my brother.

@Cactus- Wow. Now I'm feeling some pressure! If nothing else, at least I know my guys can kill some time during updates. Just wait for some more hooks to be thrown into the water, Brother Cactus. I've yet to start talking about the specific fundamentals the Clerics utilize from hermetic, esoteric, and occult lore. Stay tuned!

@Stobz- I will carry on, Sir! My wife even liked your compliment :laugh.:!

Again, my friends, thank you very much for the praise. It looks like I can't stop the Cleric Train yet as I'd be afraid of the knives in the dark :blink.:.

Cheers!

Speaking of knifes in the dark. I'm glad to hear that you're making progress on your Chaplain. After reading a bit in the Black Templar forum, I've the feeling we should fight back to back.

I still have no good idea for a background story for Interrogator Chaplain Gerrit, just some funny ideas suggested by my cat.

gallery_86236_11073_59566.jpg

Wantz me play beast of Caliban?

Speaking of knifes in the dark. I'm glad to hear that you're making progress on your Chaplain. After reading a bit in the Black Templar forum, I've the feeling we should fight back to back.

I still have no good idea for a background story for Interrogator Chaplain Gerrit, just some funny ideas suggested by my cat.

gallery_86236_11073_59566.jpg

Wantz me play beast of Caliban?

That is great :laugh.:! A fearsome opponent, no doubt.

Yes, a great idea. We should fight back-to-back against the Chaos onslaught. Two sons of the Lion are equal to at least fifteen other fighting elements. PM me and we shall create a story that will rock the ages...BOOM! I mean, if you want. No pressure. Boom- oh, that was just an after-shock. Whew :happy.:!

• 4 months later...

In the name of the God-Emperor of Mankind I resurrect this thread from stasis. In His name may the Clerics go forth to destroy the ignorance of His galaxy; to gather about them the occult from aeons past; to defy the Warp-tainted spawn of Horus!

So, hey, everyone. I guess I'm back again :happy.:!

• 2 years later...

It's been a while, hasn't it? Guess it's time to dust this thing off and start again. Cue the Judas Priest: Father Mehman is back!

For whatever reason, the Clerics bug bit me today. It was a shame when I put this Chapter's massive amount of work in the "I'm Done with This" folder. It's nagged me for the last couple of years, so here I am to resurrect it from the ashes. For a start, there's a new edition of the game, so the new Codex had to be bought. Check. Then, the old files had to be found in the purgatory that is my computer. Check. Now... now we ride!

So, a few things occurred to me during the intervening years. First, the colour scheme needs to be updated. There's nothing wrong the power armour, it just needs an edge highlight with Ushabti Bone (funny how I kept typing "Bleached Bone" instead of the current name). The joints don't need to be metallic like my Iron Hands. Skavenblight Dinge with a Nuln Oil wash should suffice. There could be an easier way to do the Base skin, though, and I think that's already been fixed in my recipe notes. That's it on the painting end.

The second thing that occurred to me is that the Chapter should utilize the Primaris Marines. They wouldn't be Inner Circle members by any stretch - so no Primaris officers, but they would make excellent line troops. On second thought, there might be room for a Primaris Captain or something, but just because I like the model. (We'll see if I can't snag one of the limited editions from The Citadel when it opens.) What about a Primaris Librarian? Hmm... I'll have to think about that.

The last thing that came to me was that their parent culture - Arabic culture as a whole - needs to be turned up to 11. The only way I know to do that is through fluffy backstory. Consider that being worked on right now.

I guess it would be nice if we all had a recap of what these guys look like. Well, I aim to serve, so here are a few pictures (if I can remember how to do this...):

med_gallery_83709_11112_12769.jpg

Clerics Test Scheme

med_gallery_83709_11112_678405.jpg

Clerics Primaris Marine - the gold trim is supposed to be bronze...

med_gallery_83709_11112_12107.jpg

Clerics Chapter Badge - This would make a cool tattoo...

Well, that's all for this update. Thanks for reading!

Cheers :happy.:!

I had thought about a scorpion at one point, a black Emperor scorpion, but decided against it. Although it would have given me an excuse to use the Red Scorpion's shoulder pad upgrade sets from Forge World, it ended up feeling like I was pushing the desert theme too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived