++Inspiration Friday (Chaos Icons. Until 12/18)++

Kierdale

Finally got me an Octed! Chuffed to bits, even shared with everyone else. (I really dug Scourged's story this week) I'd better start working on a model for Carnak's Icon now!

I'd also like to join Carrack and everyone else in thanking you for picking up IF and carrying the torch.

I'd be down with the idea of winner judges next, but with the caveat that they also select the theme. Mainly because I know that I skip entering when I can't relate to the theme, and I wouldn't necessarily feel that I could judge such a theme either. (the example that sticks in my head is titan, because I just don't know enough about them to really get a sense of what I would be looking for) I agree with Scourged that some kind of judging guidelines should be followed.

I have enjoyed developing on the loose ideas that I have for my warband/host and expanding my own take on the Word Bearers. I hope that that is coming across.

It's a good idea, MaliGn. But, I think I'd prefer topic selection stay as it is. Topic selection seems to be something that is thought out well in advance, in order to lead to running themese and/or avoid duplication of past themes too frequently. Kierdale does a fantastic job with both of those, as well as avoiding any biases in topic selection.

There are a couple of reasons why I'd like to be in charge of topic choice:

1. If the winner gets to choose the next topic, things could get delayed a fair bit. They have to read all entries, but say there are a couple of 11th-hour ones, so judgement is delayed, and the choosing of the next week's judge -who also chooses the topic- is delayed.

If I choose the topic we can get started on the next topic while the judge is still reading and deliberating.

2. I have a plan and would like to stick to it. ;) Not just stubbornness and wanting to avoid repetition but I communicate with other board members about topics. Collaborations are planned: as we had Chaos versus Tau when their new codex was released, so shall we have Chaos versus ______ as new codexes come out. So, if rumours are correct, get ready to go wolf hunting ;)

If a winner doesn't feel they know enough about the next topic to judge it, I'll be the backup judge, or offer them advice as they wish.

I'd just like to add my thanks to those who have volunteered to stand in when I'm too busy. It's much appreciated and I'm sure I'll be calling on you in 2016 (that business trip around early March for one...).

I think judging guideline are a very good idea.

Throwing together some ideas:

1. Many of our members are non-native English speakers so grammar, spelling and punctuation should not be too harshly judged. That said, members are encouraged to type their entries in a word processor program which can help them with their spelling and grammar.

2. the judge should choose the entry which, in their mind, best suits the IF topic of that week. Not necessarily the most action-packed, the longest, the coolest, etc. The one which exemplifies the given topic.

3. The judge may, when posting their judgement, choose to give feedback on each entry. What they liked and didn't like, what they wanted to see more or less of.

Thoughts? Additions?

EDIT: one radical thought. We could just do away with the award. No winner, just write.

Wolf hunting? I can already hear the wet-leopard growls... heh.

I like the guidelines thus far. They seem like what everyone was probably already thinking, and it's nice to have them formalized in print. One additional thought I had for them...

We're all in very different locations. Should we decide we're on board with the "winner is the judge" plan, it may be prudent to designate specific time and time zone for submission deadlines and judging deadlines.

EDIT: one radical thought. We could just do away with the award. No winner, just write.

Personally, having a deadline and knowing I'm in competition with others and will be judged motivates me. Not getting an Octet because someone else had a better story fires me up to do better, to try new things.

I'm with Aznable, I like the competitive aspect, the other aspects of the forum have competitions, why not us!?

Seriously though, having a little competitiveness makes me push harder, I would never have written much of this if I wasn't sure at least you (the judge) would read it with a critical eye.

Personally, having a deadline and knowing I'm in competition with others and will be judged motivates me. Not getting an Octet because someone else had a better story fires me up to do better, to try new things.

I'm with Aznable, I like the competitive aspect, the other aspects of the forum have competitions, why not us!?

Seriously though, having a little competitiveness makes me push harder, I would never have written much of this if I wasn't sure at least you (the judge) would read it with a critical eye.

Agreed whole-heartedly. Not only is competition in our nature as slaves to Chaos, it just makes things more fun. The competition is a large factor of the inspiration, truth me told. It keeps the fires (of change) burning bright. Hell, we could just keep the octeds and I'd still be happy. Or, hey, keep the octed, but have a runner-up type of honor too.

That's fair enough, and makes a good deal of sense, maybe the winner could suggest a future theme that you can incorporate into the larger plan? Especially if they have something in mind that they would like to write. I think that the little precises (?) that you write are quite an important part of the judging feedback, so I'm keen to keep the summary post each week, whether or not there is a prize.

I definately like having a winner. Especially as of lately, considering the level of writing we are seeing. I'm honestly proud when I win, and I think the competition makes me do better. Also, if we do winners judge, I think that Kierdale should not be exempt from winning.

There is nothing stopping us now from suggesting themes. I've done so, as had Kierdale when Tenebrous was the judge. It might be a good idea for all of us who plan on winning, to have suggested a few themes in advance. That way Kierdale has something to go on that fits with his overall sceme. But I would feel more comfortable if these were just suggestions. I like how this year's competitions have had a few ongoing themes, such as the different units, interviews with hq characaters, and tales of glory, hubris and the like, plus the Daemonforge tie ins. I wouldn't want to lose out on the bigger themes if we run topic selection by winner's choice.

I agree with all of you. We could even have a loyalist vs chaos theme one week ie a competiton between us and the corpse Emperor's lap dogs tongue.png

We most certainly will not have a loyalist vs. Chaos theme one week!

We shall have many! :D

As I said, I plan to do a Chaos vs. _____ whenever any new codex comes out. For those which are B&C appropriate I'll open a thread in the appropriate forum and extend the invitation for relevant members to take part. As I said, if rumours prove true then Space Wolves and Imperial Guard are on the horizon. With the Titan challenge the AdMech forum members were invited however no one took part. We can but extend the invitation.

Thanks all for your input.

If anyone has suggestions for new topics, please post them here in the thread any time and I'll add them to my (long) list (and not necessarily to the end of it).

It seems unanimous that having a winner (and awarding the Octed) stays.

Draft judging guidelines:

1. Many of our members are non-native English speakers so grammar, spelling and punctuation should not be too harshly judged. That said, members are encouraged to type their entries in a word processor program which can help them with their spelling and grammar.
2. the judge should choose the entry which, in their mind, best suits the IF topic of that week. Not necessarily the most action-packed, the longest, the coolest, etc. The one which exemplifies the given topic.
3. The judge may, when posting their judgement, choose to give feedback on each entry. What they liked and didn't like, what they wanted to see more or less of.

As for the cutoff, I propose 700 Saturday Tokyo time (2200 Friday GMT), for the reason it is most convenient for me to post the next topic post before heading to work (and it's still Friday for most of you ;) ).

Okay, how about...

2. the judge should choose the one entry which, in their mind, exemplifies the IF topic of that week. Not necessarily the most action-packed, the longest, the coolest, etc.

I think those work well, yeah. It's a hard thing to quantify into a set of rules, I've realized. There is a good deal of subjectivity in the "grading" process for our stories.

Unrelated addendum:

...GW just put out a painting guide that changed the paint scheme for my warband. I am more frustrated/annoyed than I should be by this... hmph.

• 2 weeks later...

We will start again on January 8th.

As the rules will be changing a little (judging, as already mentioned) I'll be starting a new thread so all can be explained in the initial post making it easier for newcomers to understand. I will of course link to it from this thread, and the opening thread will contain links to all of the past IF challenges.

IF ideas

Just a few ideas to add to the line up of future Inspirational Fridays, or be discarded as you see fit.

Chaos Steeds

The mighty Juggernaut of Khorne, the sleek Steed of Slannesh, the foul Palaquin of Nurgle, and the arcane Disk of Tzentch all have the important task of carrying the leaders of your warband to battle. But more than just mere mounts, they are daemonic gifts from the gods, symbols of power rewarded to their faithful, or begrudgingly bequeathed to a warlord whose power is beyond questioning. Likewise, the Chaos Bikes that have felt the touch of the warp are unique symbols of power, as well as vehicles to speed their riders into the lines of the Corpse God's lackeys. Mighty engines that run on souls or blood instead of more mundane fuels, turn iron shod wheels as they crush those unworthy of a thrall's collar. Tell the tale of a Daemonic mount or a chaos bike.

Tales of Conquest

"Vini, Vidi, Vici." -Ancient Terran Warlord.

More often than not a chaos warband leaves naught but ashes and charred bones in its wake, but there are times when territory must be seized, if only to repair and refit before moving on to the next target. Sometimes, a conquered world, port, or territory remains a possession of the warband for years, decades, even eons. Write of what happened to one such conquest. What was seized and who was it taken from? Was it a daemon world from the depths of the Eye, wrested from ancient rivals, or an orbital station taken from the light of Him on Terra? Is it ruled with on iron fist by legionaries of the warband, or is it left to its own, so long as the tribute flows? Is the worship of the true gods mandated by their very emissaries, or are the rulers merely content that the false idols of the Corpse God be torn down? How does the conquest contribute to the might of the warband? Tell the tale of a conquest.

Excellent ideas, Carrack. I've added them to the list. :tu:

I might remove the bike part from the mount one as I'd like to do a solely 'bikers' IF sometime.

Conquest is a great one to add to the Tales Of... series.

Archived