Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++Inspiration Friday (Chaos Icons. Until 12/18)++

Inspiration Friday Chaos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
327 replies to this topic

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Cheers Carrack with the corpse Emperor reference I was originally going to have her decide to abandon her faith in the corpse hoping that the chaos marines would spare her

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,776 posts
Damn. Just a bit too late! biggrin.png

The Herald Cometh
Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
My sincere thanks to Carrack for hosting IF these last few weeks with some excellent topics.
I'll get the Opening Post updated this week (and everyone's entries read ASAP after that).

And for this week's challenge...
Chaos Treadheads - This week we turn to those behemoths of the battlefield: tanks. Rhinos, Predators, Vindicators, myriad Landraiders, Sicarans, Baneblade and Shadowsword-chassis superheavies are also welcome...even Whirlwinds, Hunters, Stalkers, Sabers and Razorbacks if you’ve got them. For those with renegade Guard regiments: the Leman Russ-chassis, likewise the Chimera variants, Taurox, tracked artillery, heavy tanks such as the Malcador and superheavies (yes, that includes turncoat Capitol Imperialis).
Tell us about one of your warband/legion/regiment’s tanks (or a squadron of them if you wish). The tank/unit’s crew, its history, modifications, victories and defeats.

The challenge runs until October 9th.
Let us be inspired...
  • Warsmith Aznable and Carrack like this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
  • Faction: Neo Zeon

Once again, great stories all, but there has to be a winner. Honestly, this last week of my guest hosting IF has been the hardest to choose a winner. The stories of Warsmith Aznable and Scourged both stood out as potential winners, but I choose Warsmith Aznable as the winner of this week's IF. Claim your prize.

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

I claim this prize for the IV Legion!

I believed that I would open the thread today and have to swallow my pride and bitterly congratulate Scourged. tongue.png  Being chosen was a pleasant surprise!

Warsmith Aznable.
+ perfectly captured the use and view of daemons by his Legion.
+ Multiple narrators worked well in telling both an overarching story, and the traditions and practices handed down in his Grand Company.
+I found the character of "Finder" very believable, and an interesting take on a psycher.

-perhaps a little more detail on the setting, not a major drawback, as the story is great as is, and more detail may make the story too long, but it seemed like a missed opportunity to do a bit of world building.

I love critique! It's what I miss most about university. Well, that and not having to work and not yet being in repayment.

I originally had more of the process. There were two characters named Ugly and Ratface, sort of bored, blue collar workers stuck down in the bottom level of the Armoury who have to do the actual dirty work, and what they did directly showed that the psyker was turned into a power source. Instead I used the tech-marine's notes to imply that and I cut the two workers and their scene for length, which is something I always struggle with in Inspiration Friday stories. The world-building comment is well received. I try to make each story self contained, but sometimes in my struggle to pare down for length I lose that world-building and don't notice it because I've got my past writings rattling around in my head and take them for granted.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

I claim this prize for the IV Legion!

I believed that I would open the thread today and have to swallow my pride and bitterly congratulate Scourged. tongue.png  Being chosen was a pleasant surprise!

*laughs* Seems as though I'm the one doing the "bitter" congratulations this week. Well done, Warsmith. Though, I can't help but feel you have a bit of an advantage with the new "Treadheads" topic this week, heh. happy.png I'll have to step up my game.

Summoning.

Scourged
+epic, epic battle, epic ritual.
+ the characters of the two brothers were interesting and compelling.
+ Great action, I have consistently been impressed with every IF story you have submitted, but this time your fight scenes really stood out, in addition to the plot and characters that you normally write so well.

-What happened when the sacrifices went into the pit? I'm assuming the mist or energy killed them somehow, but I was unclear as to what the pit did to the sacrifices.

Echoing the Warsmith, I'm loving the critiquing as well. Thank you for that input!  And yeah, I realized once I finished my story that the actual "summoning" in this summoning story ended up taking a backseat to everything else. My original sketches only had something vague in mind: the collective psychic gestalt of the sacrifices within the pit would provide the means to open the portal, thus having so many Warp-touched minds in close proximity creating a critical mass reaction, a synchronized explosion of 999 heads in a psychic shriek, and Boom!, one instant daemon. I'll have to come back to the idea of the pit another time and explore it more.

Well then, time to start drafting my next epic tale. biggrin.png

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

What about tanks that now are more creature than tank, but still have treads? (Think similar to LoS??)

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,193 posts

From my Plog, I hope it's ok:

Behold, the IV Legion predator 'Immortal',

The Immortal has been in the armoury of the Iron Warriors Legion since the dawn of the Great Crusade, and has a history steeped in the extinction of Xenos species and those unwilling to see the illumination of the Imperial Truth. During the dark days of the Horus Heresy, the Immortal's guns were turned upon those still loyal to the Emperor. Treachery revealed at Istvaan V, the deaths of hundreds of Salamaders and Raven Guard Legionaires can be attributed to its fearsome weaponry. The Immortals first wounds came at the hands of the Primarch Corax, who ambushed an Iron Warriors armoured column, punching through the armoured front of the tank and crushing the skull of the driver in one swift motion, before destroying the right side motors, crippling the tank. Abandoned while the Iron Warriors regrouped and recovered from the wrath of Corax, and after the Raven Guard Primarch's flee from Istvaan, recovery of damaged materiel begun. The Immortal, bore many scars from the fight, and was about to be towed away for repair of the damaged drive motors, when the engine roared into life, before idling. Of the previous crew, there was no sign. No blood, no discarded armour, the ruination of the battle still writ large across its outer shell, the mechanisms of the Immortal appeared as perfect as the day it was commissioned.

Phall. Tallarn. Barakiel VI. The Immortal fought and was seen to die in all of these battles, and yet in the aftermath, appeared in full working order in the IV Legion vehicle hangars, the crew missing, presumed dead. The superficial damage to the outer shell would initially be repaired, however when the tank was next seen, be it in the hangar of a cruiser, or upon set down by thunderhawk transporter, it always returned, yet seemed to offer no additional weakness for the enemy to exploit: The armour, although ripped and dented, proved strong. Over time, Legion serfs and tech servitors were instructed not to bother patching up the tank, its spirit appearing to revel in its disfigurement.

After millenia of fighting within the Eye, the Immortal has found its way into the hands of Warsmith TorschLag, with whom it fights to this day. To crew the immortal is both a reward and a punishment from Torschlag. The tank will perform its duties, and bring honour and glory to its driver and gunners while protecting them in its armoured shell, however the tank commander that allows critical damage to befall the Immortal, be he outmaneuvered, outgunned or otherwise beaten...well, no remains have ever been found. There are no second chances with the Immortal.

2015-04-25%2011.55.08_zps938hfwxv.jpg

2015-04-25%2011.55.04_zpsytnbfkzq.jpg

2015-04-25%2011.54.46_zps4sqxwfff.jpg

2015-04-25%2011.54.41_zpsokuceegb.jpg

2015-04-25%2011.54.53_zpsywjg0dil.jpg

Edited by Xenith, 02 October 2015 - 04:44 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable, Beachymike123, Kierdale and 2 others like this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
  • Faction: Black Maw
@ Kierdale. I liked the way you tied in previous stories into your latest.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,776 posts

What about tanks that now are more creature than tank, but still have treads? (Think similar to LoS??)

That sounds fine, though bear in mind that there will be an IF for Daemon Engines (including counts-as and original designs) in the future.
This week's is mainly for the more traditional 'tanks' but by all means inspire us with something a little different. This is Chaos after all ;)

@ Kierdale. I liked the way you tied in previous stories into your latest.

Thanks. I'm steadily filling in/detailing chunks of the chapter/warband's timeline. I'll have to compile them all in chronological order sometime.
  • Teetengee likes this

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
The Wrath of The Gods
The Predator Annhilator can date it's history back to the great Crusade. Part of the word bearers legion, it was assigned to the Sons of Truth chapter and saw many battle fields.

During the days of the Heresy it was present at many battle fields from istvaan V to Calth. It earned it's name the Wrath of The Gods after Istvaan V where it was responsible for destroying many vehicles of the Iron hands, the salamanders and the raven guard.

After the battle of Istvaan V it would reappear at Calth and was responsible for not only destroying many regular battle tanks but legion says it also destroyed a fell blade.

In the aftermath of the it never gained as much infamy as it did in the days of the Heresy, until M:39 where the Word Bearers Chapter the Sons of Truth (now known as the Sons of Chaos) launched a invasion of the Ikari sector. Where this predator went death and destruction surely followed and as hard as the people of the Ikari sector tried they couldn't hold out against the Word Bearers assault.

It has often been hinted even during the early days of the Heresy that this battle tank has something malevolent about it. None have been able to say for sure what it is but many inquisitors of the Ordo Malleus believe that this tank may be possessed by a greater daemon who goes by the name of the Harbinger.
  • Xenith, Kierdale and Carrack like this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The Blood Monger

Spoiler
  • Xenith, Kierdale, Teetengee and 2 others like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,776 posts

Profaned

Hidden Content

I planned to do an entry simply about the fallen chapter up-arming it's rhinos but that idea switched to a salvaged Adeptus Sororitas rhino...and that idea transformed into the above...

• Teetengee, Scourged and Thedarkprincesnun like this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

Figured I'd try something a little different this time around. So what I present is not another entry in the stories of the Scourged, but rather their allied renegade Guard regiment. Enjoy this week's entry: Alpha Sigma 2847 Lambda 15

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale, Teetengee and 2 others like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

So, perhaps this wasn't clear enough about the nature of the Beast being a treaded daemon engine, but hey, I like the story well enough.
Beast Taming

Hidden Content

Edited by Teetengee, 07 October 2015 - 03:53 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale, Carrack and 2 others like this

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

My entry for treadheads, I hope you like it.

Hidden Content

• Kierdale, Teetengee, Carrack and 2 others like this

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

NEED MOAR LIKES!!! Reading out of order has reduced the number of you who should have received them in an unfair (not first come first serve) manner.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,776 posts
A complaint from your thread-runner:
You're all going to have to stop writing such good entries or I'll have to stop giving out Octed amulets, it becoming too hard to choose. :D
  • Warsmith Aznable and Xenith like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,776 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

Thanks all for your entries on the topic of `Chaos Treadheads`.

Xenith gave us the tale of the IV legion’s Immortal, a predator which had felt the fist of Corax himself upon the black sands of Istvaan V. Across countless other battlefields in the following millennia it fought, died and came back to fight once again.

He also accompanied his story with some photos of the tank itself with excellent battle damage. It really looked like it fought the Long War.

Thedarkprincesnun gave us `The Wrath of the Gods` and told us of a Word Bearer predator annihilator which, like Immortal before it, fought in the Dropsite Massacre and upon no less a battlefield than Calth itself. Finally he hinted that the tank may be possessed by the greater daemon `Harbinger`.

Monxes Sangue was Carrack’s entry this week. A behemoth tank - a baneblade no less - appropriately dedicated to Khorne with loyalists on spits and skulls heaped in piles upon its armour. I really liked the description of the crew: the father-son commander and comms operator, the diminutive engineer...the sealed-in driver...

A Leman Russ Eradicator was the subject of Scourged’s writing this week, as observed by the dark technician Dalzyk Hymnylia. I loved the description of the tank’s perversion and mutation, and that the crew had become a warped, gestalt entity. The tank itself.

Teetengee gave us nothing less than a possessed, mutated land raider! A very interesting read, I particularly liked Calliah making her offering at the end of the story. I thought it showed her dedication to the Gods and their cause very well.

Warsmith Aznable gave us, as was expected, an excellent and very `Iron Warriors` story (thought it only featured one of those Astartes) with the pressing of natives forces into armoured PDF regiments to fight for the IV. The description of the fresh-off-the-line tanks, the inexperienced crews and the growing destruction as they neared the front line, the walk back and inevitable reassignment was all well written and easy to picture. I hope we’ll see more of Keller, even if just in the background, in the future.

As I said on Thursday, all were very good reads and it was no surprise to see a couple of Iron Warrior-linked entries :D

After much deliberation I chose this week’s champion...

Step forward Scourged and claim your reward!

It was a very difficult decision but I felt his entry exemplified the `Chaos Tank` theme I had set for this week with its possession and mutation.

And here begins the next challenge...

The Primordial Annihilator versus...the Greater Good

As Carrack started our `Tales of...` series with `Tales of Chaos Glory`, this week we start a new series for Inspiration Friday with a look at the forces of Chaos pitted against the upstart do-gooders of the 40k galaxy: the Tau Empire.

What brings your worshippers of the Infernal Powers into combat with this alien empire? What benefit is there in slaying these whose souls are little grist in the view of the beings of the Warp?

I’d like to hear of an encounter - be it a skirmish, raid or a full-blown war - against the Tau. How your forces view them and deal with them.

The challenge runs until October 16th.

Let us be inspired...
  • Warsmith Aznable and Teetengee like this

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
The Slaughter of Gerivia
Thunder was all he heard Zyle stood there staring up at the sky watching it turn from crimson to a blue to a purple to a brown. His Crimson armour would look to a outsider like it was covered in blood. On his right shoulder and left leg there was Daemonic faces leering out of his armour the colour of a dark pinkish flesh.

"Zyle oh Zyle what are you doing stood out here" said the Mysterious figure. Turning around Zyle saw the sergant of his squad Karakus. He wore a white cloak with the same Crimson armour. His skin had a rather pale tortured appearance . On his fore head was a 3rd eye which was almost turquoise in colour.

"Nothing Karakus I'm doing nothing" said Zyle.
"You do realise we are 5 hours away from assaulting Gerivia" said Karakus. Zyle chuckled aside from the fact Karakus was the leader of his squad he was also one of his closest friends. They had been friends since days before the heresy fighting on world's like Istvaan V and Calth. By some dark miracle they survived Calth but none could be sure why. "Yes I do realise brother I just don't get why we are assaulting this world, I've spoken to the warbands Sorcerors and it appear these xeno scum have nothing for us. Apperently they don't even have a presence in the warp" said Zyle .

Karakus chuckled, and this confused Zyle even more. "Of course they hold something for us for you see unbeknown to the imperium there is a ancient greater daemon trapped at this world's heart it's power bound by the prison which holds it. However the blood of the Xenos scum who are present here will be used in a ritual to release it".

Calmly walking off Karakus left Zyle there alone. Oh how he longed for the days when they had a clear battle plan, when they were not just following a hunch. The Sorcerors of the Chapter had told the chapter master Bakarauth of the Daemon caged beneath. "Oh we could be making a mistake" he thought to himself "how do we even know the Daemon will help us"

6 hours later
The battle lines had been drawn. Dead xenos corpses lay everywhere mixed with bodies of chaos cultists. The siege had only gone on for 1 hour yet they were already dismantling the Tau defences. Entrance to the city had been gained but the chapters forces had been forced to split into 3. One under command of the Chapter Master one under command of the First Acolyte and the last under command of the Dark Apostle Zardoth.

Xyle was part of the First Acolyte Jurgles forces. They had launched a assault on one of the main Tau bases in this city. The fight of course had been in the word bearers favor but the tactics the Xenos used were mostly unfamiliar to the word bearers. It seemed they were constantly on the retreat but they would regroup and sneak attack every now and then.

Xyle smiled he knew the battle was far from over but he chuckled. The xenos scum were smart but him and the rest of the squad were bunkered down in the ruins. From here he could see the flash of lascannon fire destroying the tanks of the tau and he prepared himself plasma gun in hand ready to take the fight to the tau.
FOR THE DARK GOD'S AND FOR LORGAR
  • Warsmith Aznable and Kierdale like this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

After much deliberation I chose this week’s champion...

Step forward Scourged and claim your reward!

It was a very difficult decision but I felt his entry exemplified the `Chaos Tank` theme I had set for this week with its possession and mutation.

Truly it must have been difficult! There were many top notch entries, but Scourged is well deserving! Well done!

I hope we’ll see more of Keller, even if just in the background, in the future.

There is a good chance that he will be standing in the hatch of my R&H tanks when the time comes to build them! He may also appear in future fiction, because the more I wrote the character and thought about him, the more I liked him.

I’d like to hear of an encounter - be it a skirmish, raid or a full-blown war - against the Tau. How your forces view them and deal with them.

Write about killing Tau? devil.gif

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Thirst

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale, Teetengee and 1 other like this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

I've been trying to keep them shorter since the Interview With A Chaos Lord entry, but this one is big enough it's in three parts. Sorry about the length, but I do hope you like it.

First Contact, Part One

"Revelations"

Hidden Content

First Contact, Part Two

"The Wrath of the Old Gods"

Hidden Content

First Contact, Part Three

"A Perfect Act of Contrition"

Hidden Content

Epilogue

Hidden Content

Edited by Warsmith Aznable, 13 October 2015 - 03:08 PM.

• Kierdale, Carrack, Scourged and 1 other like this

EesiOh

EesiOh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
  • Faction: Archangels

holy **** Aznable, I will confess to never really paying much attention to your work (too long for me to bother in most cases) but always feeling a sense of sinking glumness that only you or Carrack were blessed enough by the gods to receive the IF awards, but now reading this masterpiece, i completely understand. This time when you win I will be glad to see such a prolific writer get his reward.  

The Archangels: Scions of Sanguinious striving for perfection

The Impure: Not even the transhuman physiology of the Space Marines can save you from the zombie plague

The Silent Laughter: The road to damnation is paved with the best intentions 

gallery_48988_6285_81894.pngI gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

holy **** Aznable, I will confess to never really paying much attention to your work (too long for me to bother in most cases) but always feeling a sense of sinking glumness that only you or Carrack were blessed enough by the gods to receive the IF awards, but now reading this masterpiece, i completely understand. This time when you win I will be glad to see such a prolific writer get his reward.  

blush.png I am glad you like it.

I think it won't be chosen because it's too long for this format, though. I am trying to do shorter stories, but this process of invasion was something I've been kicking around in different forms for a while and wanted to detail it. Originally it was to be a punitive campaign against an Imperial Commander who purged an Iron Hounds port/recruitment world. This challenge with the Tau gave me the idea to use it to highlight the Warsmith's deep, lingering feelings about things like the Great Crusade, human dominance and manifest destiny, and how a massive pirate fleet keeps resupplied (and stays largely under the radar,) what daemons are really good for, and even a little bit of his own hypocrisy. The backstory for one of my squads (A Deathwatch Kill Team that I use as Rubric Marines in games) leaked in because it seemed like the perfect place for that particular corruption to have happened.

• EesiOh likes this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
@ Warsmith Aznable. I don't think a mere check of the "like" box conveys my appreciation of your story this week. The scale of the story is what I really enjoyed. It was good to read about the forces of chaos actually operating on a level that could threaten the Imperium, or the filthy Xenos as the case may be.
  • EesiOh likes this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

@ Warsmith Aznable. I don't think a mere check of the "like" box conveys my appreciation of your story this week. The scale of the story is what I really enjoyed. It was good to read about the forces of chaos actually operating on a level that could threaten the Imperium, or the filthy Xenos as the case may be.

thanks.gif

If that jumped-up thin-blood Huron Blackheart can strut around like he's hot stuff, anybody should be able to. tongue.png

• EesiOh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspiration Friday, Chaos

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users