What is your thought about....the Erelim...

Since the many topic about the codex faq and errata, i have been wondering something :

In the books, those units are always pictured as life and death, light and darkness :

Life/Light                                  Death/Darkness

Sanguinary Priest          =            Chaplains

Normal Marines              =           Death Company

Sanguinary Guard          =           Erelim

Furioso Dreadnought     =           Death Company Dreadnought

Corbulo                          =           Lemartes

And even in some "way".....Dante/Sanguinor          =          Astorath/Mephiston

Now focus about the ERELIM, as they describe in the wiki and the novel Trial by Blood :

Wiki :

Erelim - The Erelim are comprised of a choir of five Blood Angels Chaplains. They vigilantly stand in the shadows, charged with protecting the hidden reclusiam of Astorath the Grim upon Baal, whose location is only known to the Chapter Masters of the Blood Angels and their Successor Chapters. Stripped of all insignia and adornment save their Chapter's symbol emblazoned upon their shoulder plates, they are as dark mirrors to the Sanguinary Guard that stand in the light of Lord Commander Dante. Even their skull helms have been daubed death-black and their jump packs have been framed by halos of darkest feather. Nothing but the glow of their crimson coloured optics betray them in the half-light.

Trial by Blood :

"His approach did not go unnoticed however, as he was stalked by a choir of Erelim" ( "By a" meaning that their is more than 1 choir ?...)

So, now that most of you have see the idea behind this post, here is my question :

Would you agree/disagree to see a new kind of "Chaplains/Ragekeepers Guard" unit be "Firmly Created" in the Blood Angels 40k Fluff and...maybe/of course put into Miniatures ? (The idea is logic, as you see, but the "how to" is difficult, i agree"

Since the many topic about the codex faq and errata, i have been wondering something :

In the books, those units are always pictured as life and death, light and darkness :

Life/Light                                  Death/Darkness

Sanguinary Priest          =            Chaplains

Normal Marines              =           Death Company

Sanguinary Guard          =           Erelim

Furioso Dreadnought     =           Death Company Dreadnought

Corbulo                          =           Lemartes

And even in some "way".....Dante/Sanguinor          =          Astorath/Mephiston

Now focus about the ERELIM, as they describe in the wiki and the novel Trial by Blood :

Wiki :

Erelim - The Erelim are comprised of a choir of five Blood Angels Chaplains. They vigilantly stand in the shadows, charged with protecting the hidden reclusiam of Astorath the Grim upon Baal, whose location is only known to the Chapter Masters of the Blood Angels and their Successor Chapters. Stripped of all insignia and adornment save their Chapter's symbol emblazoned upon their shoulder plates, they are as dark mirrors to the Sanguinary Guard that stand in the light of Lord Commander Dante. Even their skull helms have been daubed death-black and their jump packs have been framed by halos of darkest feather. Nothing but the glow of their crimson coloured optics betray them in the half-light.

Trial by Blood :

"His approach did not go unnoticed however, as he was stalked by a choir of Erelim" ( "By a" meaning that their is more than 1 choir ?...)

So, now that most of you have see the idea behind this post, here is my question :

Would you agree/disagree to see a new kind of "Chaplains/Ragekeepers Guard" unit be "Firmly Created" in the Blood Angels 40k Fluff and...maybe/of course put into Miniatures ? (The idea is logic, as you see, but the "how to" is difficult, i agree"

You could literally use Sanguinary Guard. Paint them black and equip them with power mauls....

You don't need to create a unit in the fluff.  The entire point of your post seems to be that there's already a unit in the fluff that you want to represent on the table-top.  So the first part of your question is already answered by your post itself.

The second part of your question I read as "would you like to see these units represented by miniatures?" combined with your afterthought "the "how to" is difficult, i agree" - in answer to which I have suggested that you wouldn't even need to wait for new models because the description in the fluff - which you quoted yourself - is that they are "dark mirrors to the Sanguinary Guard ... and their jump packs have been framed by halos of darkest feather". Sounds to me like Sanguinary Guard painted black.

The one issue you would have is how to lay hands on the skull helms - and I would suggest that the new models from Age of Sigmar would probably help you out in that regard. I suggest power mauls because these guys are supposed to be Chaplain-esque, so it would seem appropriate.

Edited to remove weird formatting.

My blood Angels crusade has a dark counterpoint to the sanguinary guard. I'm thinking of redoing them though, mk2 or 3 armour, the skull helmets from the chaos marine / berserker kit and sanguinary guard backpacks.

Mine are called the watchers rather than Erelim though. In terms of the duality you mentioned, the various line troopers are members of warrior cults tied to an aspect of the chapter, displaying black or gold saltires, and various pieces of gifted armour. I'm glad we don't have fluff that's too developed for these guys as it would ruin all the imagination I've been able to use

Well, Fahlnor, look like we have a misunderstanding, so i will put the thing in another way, that i hope you could match what i wanted to ask :

The question for "our community", as for yourself, is if you could wish/agree for the "8th Edition Blood Angels" to have a new unit of "Erelim" in the dex (that would lead to some ajustment in the Fluff, but since it already exist it would be easier)

So, finally, is in your mind, A Erelim Unit an acceptable possibility for fluff and range development Or something that must remains as it is now ?

Well, Fahlnor, look like we have a misunderstanding, so i will put the thing in another way, that i hope you could match what i wanted to ask :

The question for "our community", as for yourself, is if you could wish/agree for the "8th Edition Blood Angels" to have a new unit of "Erelim" in the dex (that would lead to some ajustment in the Fluff, but since it already exist it would be easier)

So, finally, is in your mind, A Erelim Unit an acceptable possibility for fluff and range development Or something that must remains as it is now ?

Gotcha!

Yeah, I'd be happy to see something like that in the new Codex. I guess I feel there's never too much stuff in a Codex. The units more units from the fluff we can represent truthfully on the tabletop, the better. I'm particularly keen to see units which pre-exist as opposed to completely new units that have been completely ret-conned into the fluff.

I think if I was writing Codexes, I'd be tempted to use one Codex to introduce the fluff for a unit and the subsequent Codex to put miniatures and rules onto the table.

:)

I could actually see this Erelim unit in game. It sounds interesting (i've never read the book it came from so prior to now, I've never heard of it).

I could even see them doing this in 7th in the form of a dataslate or something, something similar to the Librarius Enclave that the new C:SM just got - plus give them a special rule, or attack or something. I think it would be very neat, and I would buy into it if it ever came to be.

I would love to see this in game. I've loved that idea since I read Trial by Blood. I've always thought of them however as Astorath's Honour guard. In the current codex however, they'd have to be a Vanguard squad to get the power mauls. I really wish veterans of all stripes had more than one wound though. Damn you, now I really want to convert up a squad of them.

They seem cool but do blood Angels really need another jump pack unit? Personally I would prefer loads of other things before another jump unit. Blood Angels fliers/land speeders/assault vehicles or even better rules for some of the models we have like the sanguinor or tycho

Can't say the general idea of the unit sounds appealing to me. Sanguinary Guard, yeah, 'cause they were the honour guard of the Lord Angel, so fair enough. Heroes of Legend and all that, with a standard marine veteran profile, we get it.

Why should a bunch of chaplains(which are still officers in the legi...err chapter) be assigned to hang around another chaplain when they could perform their duties much better by leading the Death Company into battle? All that counterpart-jive that's been going on since the 5th ediiton codex has gotten a bit out of hand, in my humble opinion. Light, Darkness, all good, but then I thought that's basically what the SG and DC are already representing, among with the flaw and our artistic nature. Really need another unit for that? One that feels wonky at best to have implemented in our background?

To give a quick answer to the OP's question: I'm a naysayer here. I still say "nay!" whenever I take a glance at Astrorats fluff(chief decapitator of the Blood Angels...quite the buzzkiller I imagine), even though the model's kinda nice. Adding another 5 or so high-ranked officers just to guard that guy and assist him in whatever business he's up to while scouring for people to decapitate feels unnatural. To the locker of Davy Jones with it!

Snorri

Do BA really need another Jump Unit? Yes. Simple as really :P it's our thing.

I'd like them to have weapons akin to DW Knights, would be awesome. Smite mode too maybe ;)

Also would all have a 4+ thanks to Rosarius

Just go unbound, take 5 chaplains, squad them together. Done and done. Ditto that we need our own flier. And WS 5 Sanguinary Guard. And Stormravens as Dedicated Transport option vis a vi Stormwolf in Space Yiffs. And a cool detachment of formations. And... a lot.

• 4 months later...

An Idea, Erlim charges cancel overwatch and can be taken as "Deatch company" e.g Astorath givs em rerolls to hit and to wound. Choir squad size 10 men max. Now that's 2 wound, +4, probably concussive (if you take mauls over PS or PF). Should also get one of either hit and run, or shrouded if they deepstrike, or causes fear @ -2LD on account of them being all dark and mysterious, as well as furious charge!

Agree that we do need other things more e.g errata on our dreads/ scouts (we will be a top tier codex inmho if this happens) but we could do with maybe, BAALS should be fixed and something to make our VV's and AST stand out (a good charge from reserves).

But yes. Erlim seems like another simular unit to others despite being a very fluffy unit.

Interesting idea but they would need a distinct role to be useful on the battlefield. Would anyone really want a unit with power mauls when we have DC, SG and VV all vying for slots in the Elite section?

I would be happy to see them added to the codex provided they fill a role that is not adequately addressed by one of our other units. I don't want to see them added "just because they were in a book".

The other thing to remember is that even if they exist in the fluff, they may not operate on the battlefield in that way. Perhaps roles in the Erelim Choir are taken by those Chaplains not currently ministering to the Death Company? They spend a period of time maintaining a Vigil to strengthen their souls for the burden of leading their doomed brethren into battle. Once their vigil is complete, they return to their role as a normal Chaplain?

I am not saying the above is what actually happens. Simply pointing out that just because the Erelim exist does not mean they are a battlefield unit.

Yesterday, when working on the Death Company Terminator Squad/Draculs Squad units, i imagined what possible synergie those units could have with Chaplains for the first and Sanguinary Priest with the Second.

And now, that you speak about the Erelim benefits, but what if we look at it from another point of view, perhaps more simple....:

What if the "Erelim" word is just the Blood Angels title for the Classic Reclusiarch(s) ?

If the Erelim are "Reclusiarchs", i would give them either, the Hatred/Fear special rule, or Astorath DCzealots special rule, those are the most sensefull rules for Reclusiarch, with maybe the Crusaders special rule.....

I've got enough chaplain models lying about to make some sort of sanguinary guard count as unit for these guys.

If anything I'll just give them all a mace and a sword/axe for convenience. Unless I find a way to combine the weapon? Who knows...

Archived