Expanding a Grey Knights force.

SCOTT_FRANCIS

Well met all.

I have a small force and was wondering what this forum would suggest next.

I intend to pretty much ignore flyers so not worried about that at all.

I have:-

Librarian - Storm Bolter / Force weapon

10 GK in TDA - Force Swords / Storm Bolters (with a Heavy Psycannon and Hammer per five)

15 Interceptors - mixture of Force weapons / Storm Bolters (Inceinerator per 5)

NDK - Hammer / Psycannon or Gatling Psilencer

Dreadnought (Contemptor because it looks cool) - Assault Cannon or TL Heavy Bolter / Power Claw (with a modelled NDK sword)

I was thinking get another NDK and arm him with a sword this time. Or a 10 man Strike squad.

Suggestions?

The Interceptors are not magnetized. They are Interceptors only. Or I could snip the emitters off 5 and make them Purifiers.

So.

Another NDK, I will go for a Sword this time.

Another 5 GK T.

A 10 man Purifier squad in a Landraider. TLLC will bring some much needed long range firepower.

Thank you Rurik, jeffersonian for your replies.

I think you'll probably see a lot of the same responses, but I would just add that for fun try throwing in the odd squad of Purifiers instead of just duplicating what you already have, (as Rurik suggested).

You'll always get great mileage out of another NDK, or more of the basic units though. :)

I was thinking of the Assault vehicle rule, with the extra attacks for the Purifiers, instant combat, also the TLLC would come in handy for long range firepower. I have not yet played a game with my GK, my first will be soon against either the puppies or a BT allied Tau force (heretics).

How do you guys run Purifiers? Do you use Incinerators or leave them as is and make best use of the attacks? 

you currently have a good force but I understand where you are coming from

the best way to look at  it is what do you need to expand your force?

Dragio:- Combat God great for repositioning your forces and bring M Lvl 2 to the party

Stern :- Good Combat Boosts the TDA unit with Sanctuary and has 1 reroll per phase 

Crow :- don't bother the Bro champion is better and cheaper

Grand Master :- Good Combat plus M LVL 2 so ok

Bro Captian :- Good Combat HQ M Lvl 1

Bro Champion :- Ok unit combat Good Challenge combat ( think Emperors Champ but better ) is amazing if force and Hammer hand are both off with the smash rule in effect ( by by Ork in mega armour  )

Libby :- Great HQ for the dice pool boost also has lots of options for different powers gets even better if boosted to M Lvl 3 with the book  ( really only way to run a GK Libby )

Tech Marine :- ok HQ tax for dragio don't bother otherwise

Strikes = cheap Troops squishy without a Rhino ( objective secured )

TDA = hard hitting difficult to shift ( objective secured )

Purifyers = Great Anti hoard and psychic dice pool boost

Paladins = expensive CCW monsters ( My favirot unit in the army after Dragio )

Purgation Squads = dependent on what guns good Anti hoard / MC , very good anti hoard , sub par anti tank

Storm Raven = great Anti Flyer ,Good Anti Tank , ok Anti elite / hoard, sub par transport ( only because if it dies in the sky so do the troops )

Razor Back , Shino and Raiders the same as the BT ones

If it was me I would suggest 

1:- Dragio

2:- 5 man Strike squad with a Psy-cannon in a Rhino for Cheap Objective secured

3:- a Storm Raven

4:- a second and mabe even a 3rd NDK

also regarding your question with regard to how to run Purifyers I run mine in units of 10 2 Halberds 3 falchions 1 hammer 4 incinerators in an Rhino

Hope this helps

A lot of talk i read on this site and others is about using Rhino's as cheap LOS blockers and moving shield. I like the idea, but find it not very Fluffy.

I do like the idea of Draigo, but not for a 1500 point game, maybe when my force hits 2k.

Another NDK, 5 more GKT's, Caldor Draigo. 

Librarian

3 x 5 GKT

Dreadnought

1 x 10 Interceptors

1 x 5 Interceptors

2 x NDK

Caldor Draigo

Just shy of 2000 points.

Well rhino wall isn't exactly a new idea but I think it's fair to say with all the grav and eldar junk in play it's an effective egg skin to sit in.

Draigo is just a lot of fun...at any point level! Plus I think he's still better than calgar!

Would you put Draigo and the Librarian with the same squad of Terminators or spread them around?

Having Draigo's GOF and the Librarians GOF in the one squad would make it really hard to deny, twice. I like that.

But the idea of having 2 squads with the ability sounds more useful.

And can some one confirm this for me, Draigo plus Titan Sword plus Hammerhand is ST 9, AP 2 hits!!!!

With the rest of his special rules (EW etc) he is a monster!!!

From what you guys are saying he is worth the points.

Can someone also please confirm that if I run a NSF, I lose Obsec to gain the special rules for NSF.

Draigo is certainly okay, but in many ways he ends up functioning as a worse Dreadknight when used in a pure Grey Knights force. He shines when being put in a unit which really benefits from him abilities (= allied Centurions.)

Yes, he is S9 when Hammerhand goes off.

Did not think of that.

NDK with NGS, HPC, GP and PT vs Caldor Draigo. Hmm. Interesting.

I think Draigo brings more to the party, but the NDK's basic function is different and does not rely on the Psychic phase.

Hmm, torn, I think I am leaning towards the NDK.

The main reason to take Draigo is Gate, if you don't have a unit which benefits from it a lot, or which benefits a lot from his ability to tank a few Ap2/Ap1 wounds, then there is no reason to take him over a Dreadknight. He's overall less reliable and less efficient.

But why choose? Try out both! Try out both together! 3 Dreadknights and Draigo can make for very fun lists :)

I normally run both Draigo and the Libby in the same squad of GKT, unless the Libby fishes up Gate, at which point I have him in the other GKT squad. In a Marlstrom rich environment, two Gating units are better than one!

At 1500, I run:

Libby

1x 10man GKT

1x 5man GKIS

2x NDK

Draigo

At 1850, I drop some bling and add a Knight Errant.

SJ

I have a knight Paladin that I hope to get to gaming standard soon, I think it will look great stood in my deployment zone with my NDK's and my Interceptors.

Not 100% sure of the whole detachment, CAD thing. I have the older Knight codex with only 2 variants. So my question is this.

Can I field Drago with a Nemesis Strike Force and then ally in a Knight Paladin or does the inclusion of a LOW mean I have to go CAD and ally the Knight.

I have yet to play a 7th Ed game.

The new IK codex calls it "oathsworn detachment", but the result is the same: You can "ally" a Knight next to a GK army (NSF or CAD, doesn't matter).

Some confirmations before my first game on monday.

I can use NSF to attempt to deepstrike on turn one on a 3+ (but if nothing is on the table at the end of any turn, I lose).

I can not charge after deepstriking, but can run and shoot.

I can not charge after shunt or Gate of Infinity. So choose position carefully or get charged.

My GKTDA are awsome but still can not sweeping advance.

Oh and our main advantage is "We all got big nasty swords n stuff. Which we can make insta kill using Force. We are great at mid range firefights but RULE in combat."

1 part 1 yes part 2 no as long as you still have stuff to bring on your ok

2 yes or shoot then run

3 yes also be carful how many models are in the unit for deep striking

4 yes that's correct

Great mid range shooty good at killing normal marines or ppl with worse saves hammer hand usually better in cc unless you are up against units with multi wounds or FNP or Necron 4+ RP then force it

Go kick serious bottom

Thankyou Deamon Wolf, I will try and bring honour, glory and Victory for the Brothers of Titan.

If I am correct, it will be a number of skirmish size games and possibly one bigger (1500) through out the day. It will be 4 lads, none of us have played 7th ed before, 2 have never played 40k before. It should be a good afternoon.

Archived