2000 points, Iron Warriors

Strata

I've been wanting to really start up with a legion project lately, though i haven't fully decided on what direction i want to go just yet, i've decided to play around alittle with battle scribe. I came up with this fourth legion list, any pointers would be appreceated.

Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Onslaught) (1982pts)
  • HQ (182pts)
    • Legion Praetor (182pts)

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Void Shield Harness, Volkite Charger

• Master of the Legion

Pride of the Legion

• Troops (945pts)
    • Legion Tactical Support Squad (225pts)

Legion Sergeant, 9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers

• Legion Tactical Support Squad (325pts)

Legion Sergeant, 9x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns

• Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (395pts)

Tyrant Siege Master, 6x Tyrant Terminator

• Elites (365pts)
    • Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (200pts)
      • Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Heavy Flamer, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

• Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (165pts)
      • Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Laser Destroyer Array

Laser Destroyer Array

Laser Destroyer Array

• Heavy Support (490pts)
    • Iron Havoc Support Squad (260pts)

4x Iron Havoc, 4x Lascannon

• Iron Havoc Sergeant

Lascannon

• Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (230pts)
      • Legion Predator Tank

Lascannons

• Legion Predator Tank

Lascannons                     

If you're running Pride of the Legion, your compulsories have to be Tac Vets or Terminator Squads not to mention that support squads cant be compulsory troops in either case.

I've got it under an Onslaught FOC, which only requires a single compulsory troop selection. And i was under the impression that legion specific terminators squads, such as the Tyrants were also allowed to fill in the Compulsory

I've got it under an Onslaught FOC, which only requires a single compulsory troop selection. And i was under the impression that legion specific terminators squads, such as the Tyrants were also allowed to fill in the Compulsory

They are.

However, for the FoC Swap, you're usually disallowed to take them in conjunction with a RoW because of potential Imbalances as per FWs recommendation. Feel free to ignore it though.

As for the Support squad: Unless you're running a Gunline, give them Rhinos, especially the Plasma Squad since they pack the biggest punch.

The thought in my mind was to go and run the iron warriors as a gunline/footslogging styled list. Have everything advancing in as one large blob of iron. 

Then you might be better served by Multiple 20 Man Tac Blobs with attached apothecaries. These will usually run you the same points-wise as your Tac Support squads in rhinos.

What would you recomend then in the way of higher powered weapons then just Bolters?  Do the Tyrant's cyclones make up for droping the volkite and plasma?

Depends. Whats the firepowers job?

Theres 2 ways of dealing with 2+ saves: ap2 (expensive) or weight of fire (more versatile).

The former is Plasma or Melta with few exceptions such as Sniper Tac Vets with Bolters.

The Latters is easiest accomplished by Tac Blobs, Volkite Culverin Squads or Kheres-Equipped Contemptors.

Now, Since I do run 2+ heavy Armies, I can tell you that Weight of Fire is much more deadly when you consider that a 20 Man Tac squad that Rapid Fires & Fury of The Legion's is pumping out 80 shots, 10 Terminators are pretty much dead to rights.

Plasma Squads are usually singled out early on in the game and are either avoided or vaporized by the enemy. Due to usually low numbers, and 3+ saves, this is never hard to accomplish.

So, Ap2 or Weight of Fire?

For light armor, you have a plethora of Selections; mostly vehicle based. Just look up the various Tanks, Dreads and Planes we have access to in 30k.

However, if its Av12 or less, Volkite Culverin Squads (10 men, 4 Shots each = 40 Shots S6) are decent enough to deal with them. They're also one of the preeminent Horde Obliterating options.

So, in this respect: vehicle (Flyer, Tank or Dread) or Infantry based Anti-Armor?

I have no real preference either way, be it infantry based, or vehicle based anti armor. I am of the thought though that for vehicle based, I would need to present multiple targets to reduce the chance of single turn loosing all my heavy fire power.

Tomorrow I'll probably work out a new list with the suggestions of the tactical blobs as a key point.

Archived