one of the best products I have ever used!

Hi guys

I just wanted to put a little post up with a bit of praise to a new product I am using. I am no way associated with this product but felt it so good, I had to share. I'm talking about Mr.surfacer 1500

I heard about this stuff through the model plane and tank forums after having significant trouble with my primer at the time. The primer in question was Vallejo surface primer. I had used it for about 2000 points of space wolves no problem, but for my last journey into forgeowrld, problems started to occur.

The primer would not stick to the resin, especially on shoulder pads. Even now with finished models, paint is peeling and it's so disheartening after spending so much care on models. I know with resin it needs cleaning etc... And trust me, I cleaned it very very well, the primer is just awful. Also it would go on grainy and bumpy, which wasn't really a huge factor for me, however people said it was due to over spray but I don't think this was the case.

So I decided to try Mr,surfacer. This was the 1500 in black, they do a 500, 1000 and 1250 I think. The higher the number, t he less coarse it is so running it through an airbrush figured 1500 was best. This is lacquer based though so you need a lacquer thinner (I've opted for Mr.color levering thinner) at a 50/50 mix. Also you need to make sure your airbrush won't be damaged by lacquers and a quick check on the h&s website showed my ultra was good to go.

This stuff coats like a dream. I did a test run on a 30k apothecary and was astonished. So smooth even after one coat and scratch resistant after seconds. The Vallejo would scratch at the slightest nail but this stuff would not come off.

I cannot stress how good this stuff is for resin and if you are not using it, why not!?

I couldn't find much info about using it through an airbrush online and wether it was totally safe etc.. So I would say if you plan to spray it make sure you wear a respirator, have windows open and ideally a spray booth with a duct to outside as this stuff does stink. To nee fair though if you are airbrushing you should be doin all if that anyway.

I have since sprayed my Spartan and it is like velvet!

An awesome product which has made a lasting impression already

Sounds like something I might have to look into.

Also it would go on grainy and bumpy, which wasn't really a huge factor for me, however people said it was due to over spray but I don't think this was the case.

When this happens to me, there's only one explanation: humidity. I can usually primer fine up to 55% humidity, or 65% with a strong breeze; anything else and... well, three of the dreads for my current ETL vow look like they have goose bumps.

Archived