I've made some killer Progress on The Red Comet.
My First Step was to sort the parts and check for defect/missing components.
Nothing was missing but there were a few really badly misaligned pieces. Not to worry, none of them were structural for the build so I emailed Forgeworld and replacements are on the way. This is a super expensive kit for casting mistakes but, I understand how they must have stressed their mold to produce enough of these to meet their unexpected demand.
Honestly, the worst were all eight toe pistons, and even that mold slip is pretty damn near invisible when assmbled. I'm still getting the replacement parts because there is no reason not to, but give credit to forgeworld too.
The parts laid out after cleaning.
For this project, the goal was to pin, superglue and JB Weld all major joints, and since JB Weld has a cure time of about 24 hours, it allowed me to switch from Section of the build to section. Jumping back and forth from Leg components to Torso. First up was the legs...
The Warlord is such a heavy model, I decided early to have it standing flat on all 4 toes, so with that in mind, I Pinned each toe section. I used a Tamiya Handy Drill for this and most other pinning. The 2mm drill bit works well for 1.57mm Brass Rod.
Next was pinning and welding the waist/hips.
I went on to weld and Pin the Knee and ankle sections. When I Use JB Weld, I always used the weld in the center and then circle it with super glue. The glue bonds quickly which keeps the model together for the 24 cure period for the Weld.
Moving onto the torso, blue tacked and clamped all the plates together to get an idea of how it fit, and where to pin. Honestly, I'm not sure pinning is even necessary for these parts but decided I might as well to really build it right. I pinned the 4 corners of the base plate to the first walls of the torso seen above.
I went on to pin the side walls, to where they connect with the Torso back door plate.
I then pinned and glued/welded the upper rear plate together, this is the part that hangs above the smoking deck outback, and so I wanted to make sure it was very stable since it supports the weight of the back torso and Void shield generators. If you don't want to do all the pinning I did, I can certainly say that pining this section is the key.
With that hanging section built and pinned, I welded and pinned the three rear walls and to the overhead section together. This is the foundation for the whole torso, so it is important makes sure each part is even and pinned correctly. Even being off by a millimeter can through the rest of the torso build into havoc. That why I kept dry-fitting after I added each and every component. Once they were all in place I used clamps to keep the deals tight for the Weld to take hold.
I moved on to pin and Weld the Knee/ankle to the upper thigh and waist section. For this part I used Blue Tack, clamps and a spirit level to make sure that the pose of the legs worked out well. I ended up drilling clean through the hips into the groin area and running a rod through which will help to strengthen the hips and wait latter. For now, the rod is just sitting there lose so that I can use it as a guide for for when I attatch the Legs to the waist.
Here you can see the Legs being clamped together to weld after dry-fitting.
I used this opportunity to drill out the waist and torso plate to insert the magnets. I figured it would be harder to drill out the waist if i waited until after the torso and legs had been completed. I used a 1 inch Wood Drill, and 25mm x3mm Neodynium rare earth magnets here.
Here is where the build stands (literally). The upper torso in the back has been drilled out and pinned, but not glued yet. I'll walk you through that section in my post tomorrow.
Please let me know if you have questions and if this walkthrough is helpful.
Edited by Athrawes, 14 July 2015 - 04:21 AM.