Mars Pattern Warlord Psi-Titan: The Red Comet Walks

Athrawes

well the build time was pretty fast, about 10-15 hours over 2 weeks. It was the Cleaning and preparing the model for build that sucked. Maybe 6 hours spent, inspecting, sanding and then washing each piece.

Painting the chassis was also reasonably quick (although applying the washes carefully and on each side on its own to cut down on streaks/pooling was time intensive) so maybe 6 hours on the chassis plus another 8 for layering the washes)

Airbrushing the armor started in january and was very fast, probably about 14 hours total on all the airbrushing for the body heads and weapons, that includes cleaning the brush in between switching paints)

applying the base colors up to this point on top of the airbrushed armor is another 7 hours or so.

Last night I did the powerclaw and Alpha pattern head in one sitting, from black primer to base colors down over the airbrushing. That was another 8 hours or so. 

So all told:

65+ hours or thereabouts.

Your missing the hundreds of hours of procrastination that inevitably is required with a project of this kind....

Or is it just me that does this?

Great job once again. A single post doesn't do this justice!

well the build time was pretty fast, about 10-15 hours over 2 weeks. It was the Cleaning and preparing the model for build that sucked. Maybe 6 hours spent, inspecting, sanding and then washing each piece.

Painting the chassis was also reasonably quick (although applying the washes carefully and on each side on its own to cut down on streaks/pooling was time intensive) so maybe 6 hours on the chassis plus another 8 for layering the washes)

Airbrushing the armor started in january and was very fast, probably about 14 hours total on all the airbrushing for the body heads and weapons, that includes cleaning the brush in between switching paints)

applying the base colors up to this point on top of the airbrushed armor is another 7 hours or so.

Last night I did the powerclaw and Alpha pattern head in one sitting, from black primer to base colors down over the airbrushing. That was another 8 hours or so. 

So all told:

65+ hours or thereabouts.

Beast of a project!

I can see all the parts laid out, ready for washing and cleaning: "We're gonna need a bigger bowl" :)

So the Apocalypse game has come and gone. Played on the Imperium side vs. Xenos, 15k points per side. Sadly I was one of only 2(TWO!!) super heavies on the Imperium side, the other being a lone Shadowsword.

The Xenos comparatively had many Wraith knights, Eldar D cannons, Storm Surge, Riptides and Tyranid Bio Titans. 

Needless to say, by the end of the First turn, The Red Comet had lost 24 of 30 Hull points. Mostly due to several lucky rolls of 6 by the Enemy on their D table. But with much honor, I marched deep into their formation turn two, let loose with all of the righteous firepower Granted me by the Omnissiah, and then solemnly charged a unit I knew would slay me in order to prompt an enormous sacrificial self destruct. 

Through my Titans sacrifice during my turn, and the huge 36" radius around my titan swept clean of Xenos life, I thereby denied a huge swath of the Xenos army a turn of shooting they would have otherwise gotten if they destroyed me on their next turn. 

Such is the fate of Xenos; purged by the Omnissiah's cleansing fire.

Here is the force I brought to the game:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/5c99a335-d0bf-4a7d-ac66-d8ce1a47610a.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/ac7be93b-45fc-4efd-ab72-eca7a2a5aaab.jpg

And one last photo showing a bit more work I've done on the Mars-Alpha pattern head.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/06b11c6c-da7f-4078-a0d8-5db47f87c9ed.jpg

So, as an easter surprise from the Girlfriend I'm now the proud owner of a Ordinatus Ulator. While the Ordinatus rules are very cool, especially the Dispersion Field, I'm excited to play around with the Sonic Destructor. 

I'm tempted to find a way to make it swappable so that I can mount it on the Warlord Titan's Arm mount. The thought of a Warlord Using the Sonic Destructor is both terrifying and exciting!

@Coldwinter: The thousand Sons didn't do much sadly. The force isn't geared toward dealing with all the spam and cheese of 40k apocalypse, but i didnt really expect them too. I play apocalypse games mostly for the satisfaction of laying a large army on the table, most of the people who came opted just to bring big toys. To each their own, I find Apocalypse games more enjoyable when there is a balance of infantry and vehicles, to super heavies/gargantuan Creatures. 

So, as an easter surprise from the Girlfriend I'm now the proud owner of a Ordinatus Ulator. While the Ordinatus rules are very cool, especially the Dispersion Field, I'm excited to play around with the Sonic Destructor.

I'm tempted to find a way to make it swappable so that I can mount it on the Warlord Titan's Arm mount. The thought of a Warlord Using the Sonic Destructor is both terrifying and exciting!

@Coldwinter: The thousand Sons didn't do much sadly. The force isn't geared toward dealing with all the spam and cheese of 40k apocalypse, but i didnt really expect them too. I play apocalypse games mostly for the satisfaction of laying a large army on the table, most of the people who came opted just to bring big toys. To each their own, I find Apocalypse games more enjoyable when there is a balance of infantry and vehicles, to super heavies/gargantuan Creatures.

A Warlord and an Ulator now eh?

It seems a Reaver and 2 knights are not enough anymore....I declare an arms race!!!

(You're the soviet bloc because you paint red, and I'm America, because of my bombastic personality) :devil:

A Warlord and an Ulator now eh?

It seems a Reaver and 2 knights are not enough anymore....I declare an arms race!!!

(You're the soviet bloc because you paint red, and I'm America, because of my bombastic personality) :devil:

Warlord and war hounds please

(You're the soviet bloc because you paint red, and I'm America, because of my bombastic personality) devil.gif

It's not bombastic if you can back it up.

I just read through this entire thread. Very impressive project and outcome (except for the "boom" part). I know what you mean about letting the big toys dominate a game. It's nice to see them on the table, but at the same time, it sort of minimizes the value of the other units.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with the Ordinatus.

Cheers,

Also, the huge horde of Necron Warriors hurt me, Gauss weapons auto glancing on 6's against AV 15 is a joke. Sigh.

I think the small tables favor certain small models. Titans really need large areas to truly dominate. Start dropping 2 x D pie plates from 180", then at 96" and extra 6 x D pie plates, then all the wraith lords in the world can whistle.

You should drop FW a line about this. They may try to balance it in a FAQ.

Also, the huge horde of Necron Warriors hurt me, Gauss weapons auto glancing on 6's against AV 15 is a joke. Sigh.

I think the small tables favor certain small models. Titans really need large areas to truly dominate. Start dropping 2 x D pie plates from 180", then at 96" and extra 6 x D pie plates, then all the wraith lords in the world can whistle.

You should drop FW a line about this. They may try to balance it in a FAQ.

I would love to play games of Floor hammer where you are absolutely right, the extra range on the Warlord's Weaponry would really come into it's own but sadly, I don't have any friends in the area with armies large enough to justify a game that big haha.

as for changes to rules/ rules errors I've noticed there are a few:

• The warlord Titan should have the God Machine rule like the Warhound and Reaver, making mechanicum/mechanicus models within 24" fearless
  • The warlord should have Nightvision like the Warhound and Reaver
  • The arlord should have 8 void Shields to match the model.
  • The Towering monstrosity Rule should include an imunity to Gauss. Seriously.
  • And Walkers, Bikes and Jetbikes should be added to the list of units that only hit the Titan on 6+. As of know, they are the only units in the game that hit the Titan at Weapon Skill.

These are just the ones I'v noticed that seem like rules errors/things that FW overlooked. I'm sure there are other balance tweaks.

I had no idea you'd finished the Comet, which is on me for not checking this thread more. But wow! That is some stellar work, and a model you can rightly be very impressed with :)

Archived