Rites of war and allied forces

Rumour Control

Hi all, just a question regarding the use of a legion praetor in an allied force.

My primary detachment is questoris knights and was looking at using my Iron Hands as an allied force.

Do I only get to use the rite of war (pride of the legion) to make my terminator squad troops for my allied force or not as it's not my primary force.

"The rite of war chosen only effects the primary detachment. However, allied forces eligible to do so may use different rites of war or none at all"

Many thanks.

I had to read these rules myself a few times to decipher them too. Yes, you can run a Rite of War for your allied detachment, provided you meet all the requirements. Some require an additional compulsory Troops choice, which is actually still fine as you have 1-2 available.

The wording of Pride of the Legion suggests that you cannot take an Allied Detachment, but if the Allied Detachment is running the RoW, I think they are fine to have a Primary Detachment!

Double Post, but just following up here; 

the rules state; 1 MotL model per 1000 points. This means you must have 1000 or more points (including the cost of the MotL model) before you can play with that model. Taking such a model allows a Command unit.

So, 0-999 = 0 MotL, 1000-1999 =1 MotL, 2000-2999 = 2 MotL etc etc

However, if a model with the Master of the Legion rule is the warlord, it gains the Master of the Legion special rule. Go figure. GF Rules Writers. This allows them roll 2, choose one, and opens up the Rite of War.

Blah, Blah.

One ONE Rites of War formation can be used in an army, and it only affects the Primary detachment (the one with the warlord per 7th ed rules). But allied units may use a different rite of war (despite being limited to one per army and it only affecting the warlords detachment, and only the warlord having the special rule, which is gained by being a warlord with the special rule in the first place. 

That is literally how bad the Master of the Legion rule is.

Play whatever you want, really.

Archived