Alpha legion starter 1000pts

Resonance

hi guys been playing 40k and am now super interested in 30k, love the fluff, the models and the rule set. And seeing as how the scene is pretty strong here in Canberra I will be able to play some actual games too!

So here is my beginner 30k army list using the alpha legion

Keep in mind I haven't bought any models yet so any changes you suggest are able to be made.

Hq

Armillus Dynat

Troops

Min squad, Sargent w AA & PF

Min squad, Sargent w AA & PF & vexilla

Elites

Apothecary w augury scanner

Apothecary w augury scanner

Contemptor dreadnaught w kheres assault cannon & graviton gun

Heavy support

Sicaran battle tank no sponson (not enough points unfortunately)

There is no RoW and I will have to take infiltrate which I don't mind. Armillus will make the squad he is not in DS.

So what do you think?

Alternatively I could swap out the tax squads for veteran squads and do pride of the legion.

One w sniper, heavy bolter on suspension, bane strike rounds and sergeant w AA LC and power dagger.

The other with tank hunter meltagun, sergeant w AA and PF.

Armillus would go w the heavy bolter team and advance up the middle while the melta squad deep strikes in and pops a tank (hopefully

If you're taking a vet squad with sniper, theres no point taking banestrike ammo, any 6's to wound are going to be AP2 due to the sniper rule.

Personally I wouldnt take Dynat, Hes good in larger games, where his rules scale better, but with only two squads a tank and a dreadnought, I'd take Skorr, hes much cheaper, and allows you to pick the strategic warlord trait that grants infiltrate, allowing you to choose another mutable tactic.

Ok here is a new list that I like much more.

I call it the ninjalpha legion

Nasty tricks and combos

Hq

Armillus Dynat

Saboteur w combat augment array and power dagger

Troops

15 man tac squad w AA, lightning claw, power dagger and vexilla

10 man tac squad w AA, power fist, extra ccw and vexilla

Fast attack

Seeker squad w 4 combi melta, AA and melta bombs

So tactics are:

Sabatuer uses the combination of special rules with dynat to take out a tank when he outflanks.

Dynat goes in with 15 man squad to advance down the middle to take heir objective

10 man holds an objective and can take a charge if needed w extra ccw

Seeker squad use Dynat SR to deepstrike in and take out a tank with melta.

How does that look?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks fine as a starting point, although unless you are more of a collector type then you might want to think about how the army scales into larger points values - Alpha Legion's trademark rite of war is kinda funky and close to unusable at low points values but it's also a lot of fun to play in larger games, even if it's maybe not the most effective RoW going; it's the reason I got into Alphas. Thing is that it doesn't necessarily build well out of a lower point vanilla list, that's all, so if your plan is to play Coils of the Hydra eventually then think about what that force looks like and work backwards. 

Archived