WH40K: Inquisitor – Martyr - New game announced

Olis

Assuming its "decent" ill pick it up. My girlfriend loves Diablo style ARPG games, she said if this is anything like Diablo 3 on ps4 she will absolutely play it as well. 

side note; Couch co-op? is that a thing in this game or is it single player only?

As another beta tester I can tell you it's very much like Diablo 3 and in some ways better, like gear loadouts for example.

Assuming its "decent" ill pick it up. My girlfriend loves Diablo style ARPG games, she said if this is anything like Diablo 3 on ps4 she will absolutely play it as well. 

side note; Couch co-op? is that a thing in this game or is it single player only? 

You can make a party with up to 4 players. I'm going to their Studio in May in Budapest, will sit down with the developers and ask them questions. So if anyone has anything they want to know write it here and I will take it with me :smile.:

Excellent! thanks Valrak! 

My only major question is Console version for PS4 and "couch co-op" since it plays like Diablo and has up to 4 players I would hope so, but id like to know for sure. 

You can make a party with up to 4 players. I'm going to their Studio in May in Budapest, will sit down with the developers and ask them questions. So if anyone has anything they want to know write it here and I will take it with me :smile.:

Excellent! thanks Valrak! 

My only major question is Console version for PS4 and "couch co-op" since it plays like Diablo and has up to 4 players I would hope so, but id like to know for sure. 

Ditto!  A couple friends and I have been slowly working our way Couch Coop through Diablo 3, and we're almost through it.  So this could be  an excellent way to continue the fun for us.  

"Almost through Diablo 3" ... the real game starts after that and that's the part (the eternal grind) I find the most boring about such games. The story is fun once or twice but that's basically just a very long tutorial for such games. ^^

"Almost through Diablo 3" ... the real game starts after that and that's the part (the eternal grind) I find the most boring about such games. The story is fun once or twice but that's basically just a very long tutorial for such games. ^^

All we care about is the story.

I can play as a knight? For the whole game or just sequences? If it's for the whole game then they just sold it to me lol

The way it is, you play in the campaign story mode and get 'followers', one is a Knight Pilot who you can use for certain mission types.

Ah I feared that being the case. Bummer, so I'm not sold on it yet after all. :P

I do love Martyr as a fellow tester but the devs do worry me with their handling of the lore, which is one thing that you don't mess with if you're trying to win over fans.

Generally Knight Households (like most fairly autonomous Imperial organisations) aren't a fan of the Inquisition getting in their business but I suppose that in the right situation a Freeblade could lend his support to an Inquisitorial retinue.

It's just that when the devs put in the very, very well done intro missions a few months back they kept referring to a Fortress Monastery when it was actually a derelict Gothic-class cruiser, which is CLEARLY nothing of the sort.  Don't get me wrong, my experiences with Martyr tell me that they're doing a good job with the game itself (especially with the voice actors involved which was a pleasant surprise) but twisting established stuff to make their ideas fit won't go down well.

It's just that when the devs put in the very, very well done intro missions a few months back they kept referring to a Fortress Monastery when it was actually a derelict Gothic-class cruiser, which is CLEARLY nothing of the sort. 

This bothered me immensely too.

It's just that when the devs put in the very, very well done intro missions a few months back they kept referring to a Fortress Monastery when it was actually a derelict Gothic-class cruiser, which is CLEARLY nothing of the sort. 

This bothered me immensely too.

Thirded. They seem to have gone out of their way to get all the other details right so I don't know what happened there. Other than that I really like the game so far.

Maybe the guy speaking wasnt the lore guy. I wouldnt expect every member of the studio to know every little detail of the 40k universe. As long as they have people who screen the work and know a lot about 40k then it should be ok.

Well aye, but you'd think that whoever is writing the story and scripts should know what they're writing about!  :teehee:

That being said, it's well worth reiterating that is pretty much the only thing that's irked me so far, given that it's still (somehow) an alpha build.

As I said elsewhere on t'internet:

I'm a tester for this and it's shaping up to be a pretty solid game although I'm yet to multi-player it.

The graphics are spot-on and it's one of the few games (since Fire Warrior) which brings home the size of Astartes compared to your more normal sized Inquisitor(s). Helbrutes even more so, which are pains in the arse to kill as bosses/mini-bosses. Sound also is good and can be used to gauge which off-screen enemies are beyond a door you've just opened and sometimes how distant they are. The devs put in a string of intro missions a few months back which frankly surprised me with their quality; your retinue is dispatched from your ship via Valkyrie to board a derelict Gothic-class cruiser (called...the Martyr) but you get shot down by the supposedly inactive hangar bay point defence. You're the only survivor and the exchanges between you and your ship's captain are great, as are the terse exchanges between you and a mystery Astartes (Storm Lords? Storm Giants?) who is blatantly too zealous for his own good. It all added a ton of character to the game which was lacking from just walking about, killing and finding stuff.

There's a few things that Martyr does better than the Diablo games. Cover is used by getting into position and holding down a key, the object you're hiding behind has a hitpoint display so you can see when it's about to be rendered useless. Grenades are other weapons with an arc will bypass your cover if it's not tall enough to block their trajectory and you can still fire around it depending on the object.
Your Inquisitor can be a psyker, melee/tank or ranged/sniper class, each of which has two subclasses (if I remember right) and plays very differently. In addition to your specific class skills which are independent of your wargear loadout you have an inventory, various implants (for tweaking stats) and gadgets (like health injectors), an armour slot (for a whole suit), an energy shield/device slot and, unsurprisingly, two hands.
You can take two weapon loadouts on missions and switch between each at will; so if you want to play as a ranged guy with a plasma gun or heavy bolter as a main weapon you can also bring along plas/las pistols, a flamer or even pistol/melee weapon and storm shield as a backup for when hostiles get too close. So for instance my guy will have a plasma gun with a heavy flamer for close range LOLs, both of which have four firing modes (left & right mouse buttons plus the 1 & 2 keys), a cyclone missile launcher variant on his armour (as a recharging class skill) and whichever type of grenades I picked to bring. That gives a total of ten offensive options at any one time, ammo/recharge allowing - better than Diablo 3's system IMO. You get infinite ammo for main weapons but they have to reload/cool down as applicable, your class ability recharges but can be used to lesser effect if not charged fully and grenades are limited in quantity but more can be found around the map.

I've not played it for a month or so but whenever I do I tend to enjoy it immensely even when it shares the to-and-fro style of play from Diablo where you can push too far ahead, get overwhelmed and then pull back while trying to kill off your pursuers, then forward again, then retreat, etc. Some maps are planet-side and open, some are planet-side and limited (like a refinery with walkways, for example) and some are set in space on stations or ships. Another nice touch is that when the enemy use an emplaced weapon against you - like an autocannon turret (and no-one's got time for being on the receiving end o' dat!) you can kill off the git using it and control it yourself, but beware of getting mobbed.

All in all I'd say that if you like 40k it's worth keeping an eye on and if you like Diablo style games you should be very interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived