WH40K: Inquisitor – Martyr - New game announced

Olis

it sucks that GW is squandering the fluff goldmine that is the 40k setting, on sub-par publishers, terrible DVD release movies, and iphone mini-games. Seriously no one outside the fanbase can take the setting seriously when they keep putting out laughable stuff at worst, and forgettable games at best. Dawn of War and Space Marine were some of the best things to happen to the genre and we can all only imagine the greatness that would have come from Relic and THQ's continued partnership.

The Grimdark and brutal atmosphere is easily on par with The Witcher, Mass Effect, Halo, and all the other big names out there. Sadly GW is like King Joffrey, all the power in the realm, but completely unreasonable and loony (and cruel to it's people to boot). 

While I am guardedly optimistic, this studios previous games have been ARPGS with an Isometric Camera which means that, while it has the potential to be good, its not going to be a Witcher / Mass Effect / KOTOR style game which I feel would have suited the Premise a bit better; especially KOTOR and ME due to the way the game is played out.

I would LITERALLY pay up to 150$ for a 100% Guaranteed KOTOR/ME style Inquisitor Game :(

Time will tell for this game alongside the other Warhammer games on the way. Hopefully more of them deliver than not.

If only GW were a bit more...selective... with who they handed out their IP to...

Oh Well. 

While I am guardedly optimistic, this studios previous games have been ARPGS with an Isometric Camera which means that, while it has the potential to be good, its not going to be a Witcher / Mass Effect / KOTOR style game which I feel would have suited the Premise a bit better; especially KOTOR and ME due to the way the game is played out.

I would LITERALLY pay up to 150$ for a 100% Guaranteed KOTOR/ME style Inquisitor Game :sad.:

Time will tell for this game alongside the other Warhammer games on the way. Hopefully more of them deliver than not.

If only GW were a bit more...selective... with who they handed out their IP to...

Oh Well. 

Dude I've been busy enjoying Witcher 3 for the past week (swear I'm going to finish my vow for ETL...) and let me just say that I'm right there with you. If I had a game where I hunt Daemons, Heretics, and Aliens like I do Monsters in the Witcher, I'd pay double what other new games are going for.

Hmm I'd certainly play this, but I can't help that I'd feel dissappointed as soon as I met an Astartes and knew I couldn't play as one. Unless maybe you can add one to your party and switch characters, but I'd still rather have a SM as the main character.

The problem with a SM as a main character is, if they aren't killing things, they are maintaining their gear, training, etc... The lore of 40k GENERALLY doesn't lend itself to an Astartes wandering off on random quests. I think the Space Marine game from Relic is about as close as you get to that sort of thing.

Brother Stabacles, would you be so kind as to fetch me 12 wolf pelts? I will gift you with this wonderous rusted shortsword I found in my garden!

You're clearly a heretic. I'm shooting you now. FOR THE EMPEROR!!!

The problem with a SM as a main character is, if they aren't killing things, they are maintaining their gear, training, etc... The lore of 40k GENERALLY doesn't lend itself to an Astartes wandering off on random quests. I think the Space Marine game from Relic is about as close as you get to that sort of thing.

Brother Stabacles, would you be so kind as to fetch me 12 wolf pelts? I will gift you with this wonderous rusted shortsword I found in my garden!

Will you could go lone wolf, maybe.

Also in the fluff there was something about oaths of moment and other things about an astartes being banished until the completion of a quest... Also deathwatch black shield maybe... Lots of options, yes they are all rare, but they happen and anyone featured as the protagonist of a game is likely to be at least a little out of the norm...

Sub-standard voice over is sub-standard. Think I'll pass on this trash.

Yeah, because you're fully informed as to the game's quality to call it 'trash'. :down:

So far, the only great game that ever came out of the 40k ip was the dawn of war series,and the rts , and space hulk from the 90's  Space marine was o.k, but regicide was disappointing. I'm not going to call it trash, but I'm not expecting anything out of it  

Guys, the voice actor is rubbish because he's one of the developers. Voice acting is one of the last things down on the list for game developers, and his voice is certainly not final.

Chaos Space Marine then. Black Crusade would lend itself well to an open world RPG.

I want to play as a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, collecting a Warband of zaelous Priests, Confessors and Crusaders, and then go kick down doors of Heretics and bring them the Emperor's Light... I do not think that game would be suited for younger audiences though :D

Is it just me, or does the dude in the trailer look to be the spitting image of Paul Bettany?

Either way, I'll admit to being cautiously optimistic here. I suppose one of the big tickboxes for me would be if I can design the appearance and choose the name of the player character for myself. Either way, this certainly has the potential to really go with showing us the slice of life from the Imperium, which no other game has given us before. Every single Warhammer game thus far pretty much entirely deals with the war-torn frontiers. I want to see Imperial worlds where there is no open war taking place. I want to see grand cathedrals, hive cities so packed with people as to induce a sense of claustrophobia.  I want to see the full spectrum of life in the Imperium, from the regal splendour of the hive elite to the pitiful existence of the hive gangers. Can the above translate well into a video game? Admittedly, probably not. A video game to show all of that would have to be absolutely huge to get the scale right, which means it would take a VERY long time for a studio to put it together.... and we all know how the suits feel about that, don't we?

I agree with the post above. What about the civilian zones. I really want to see the Cathedrals and visit a Shrine World or even a Cardinal World. But I think creating a ME-styled 40k game is a little beyond these guys. I would not hype this up too much or create false hope.

Also, if we can name the character.... Hmmm... Behold the fearsome Inquisitor Gobblecoque! :D

I thought the Astra Militarum were the mailed fist of the Emperor?

The emperor has many fists.

That's a really, really bad voice Inquisitor bettany has, I hope it's just for the teaser. There's a decent chance it is, this looks like such early promo material that we're not seeing any real game content at all yet.

"My name is not important. What is important is what I'm going to purge."

I totally saw what you did there, haha!

An Action RPG (like diablo?) in the 40k Universe? With a "sandbox" endgame?

Heck, if this gets a console release, I'm in.

Why a console release? PC is far better for RPG type games because of the mod potential.

Because PC's aren't 100% of the demographic? :)

I'm with Heinrich. I don't understand why Marvel can be one of the most profitable universes ever to hit the silver screen, but Warhammer is relegated to second rate developers. Games Workshop must be unable to pitch it's IP to outside developers.

I suppose one of the big tickboxes for me would be if I can design the appearance and choose the name of the player character for myself.

And if the Witcher series has taught me anything, it's that I'm significantly happier with games that don't allow for custom names and appearance as it allows for a more finely crafted experience in terms of story. Is this true 100% of the time? Of course not, but it certainly helps aim the devs on a sharper focus.

BloodQuest

Uriel Ventris

Brother Artemis

Captain Shrike guerilla warfare mod for Farcry.

There's plenty of opp's for a SM to be wandering about, however that doesnt mean I think you should be able to plaz as one in an RPG. Quite the opposite.

I suppose one of the big tickboxes for me would be if I can design the appearance and choose the name of the player character for myself.

And if the Witcher series has taught me anything, it's that I'm significantly happier with games that don't allow for custom names and appearance as it allows for a more finely crafted experience in terms of story. Is this true 100% of the time? Of course not, but it certainly helps aim the devs on a sharper focus.

But by the same measure Mass Effect was wildly successful and awesome despite players being able to customize the features of the main character AND choose gender. Mass Effect always seemed to me like a no-brainer template for how an Inquisitor game should operate. You and a hand-picked elite crew, traveling the galaxy and rooting out evil through a choice of subtlety, or with the barrel of a boltgun.

Unless the game is following the established path of someone like Eisenhorn, I think it would be better to let players decide the look and gender of the main character, the name can be uni-sex like "Commander Sheperd" to fit in with story and dialogue elements.

Archived