"Athanasians" - converted from Age of Sigmar Stormcasts

Well, it looks like the DB crash ate my post! And my user account! And perhaps all the beef, but that is neither here nor there.

Anyway - I bought the Age of Sigmar box and converted up some Marines from it. Here are a couple of pics; click to embiggen them;

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/sm01.jpg

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/sm02.jpg

The background fluff is that this small force (going to finish out at a Captain on beast, Chaplain, Librarian, 2 units of 5x Termies, 3x Centurions, 6x Assault Marines) is made up of excommunicated Marines, exiled from their Chapters after they rejected the Astartes Creed ("the Emperor is a great man, not a god") and adopted the Imperial Creed ("the Emperor is a god").

They now work for the Ecclesiarchy, and will be allies for my Sisters of Battle / Ordo Hereticus force (headed by my Inquisitor Danforth Laertes).

So, comments welcome! A couple of people did comment saying that the standard helmets don't look so hot on them - I actually rather like that look, and it is part of the fluff (which I have to write up); the helmets and backpacks are standard Astartes ones, recovered from various places (they lost their armor when they were exiled). The armor itself was recovered from some ruin and is ancient armor from the DAoT - it has a sophisticated neural link (more sophisticated than the Black Carapace) but does not work specifically with the Astartes organism. So, in order to interface with their senses and all the blood-scrubbing and drug-dispensing features, they need standard helmets and backpacks.

I shall get some more pics up fairly soon, and also some of the fluff in more detail.

As I stated already in the previous incarnation of the thread, pretty darn good work! Definately look the part. Though I think the ones with more ornate helmets work much better than the ones with bare heads or plainer helmets.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I have done some more work on them, and here are some pics of the second squad (they will count as normal Terminators, with the glaives counting as powerfists - although I could use them as Grey Knights I suppose). Very WIP - I am still waiting on delivery of some helmets! Again, click for larger images.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/sm03.jpg

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/sm04.jpg

Once I have assembled the models, I am going to overhaul all my bitz boxes and find as many purity seals, icons etc. etc. as I can and festoon the models with them, so the armor looks as if they have tried to sanctify it with Imperial symbols etc.

I am still trying to think of ideas for how to do the Centurions - they will be based on the Retributors (guys with big two-handed hammers). They are large, but not as big as the Centurion models themselves. I am thinking of putting on some kind of backback with a shoulder-mounted weapon (heavy flamer / melta) and a frag launcher on the other side to give them the appropriate weapons as well as the necessary "bulk".

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys! I shall get some more pictures up this weekend - I have done some more work on these figures. For now, here is the background fluff history I have written for them - they link into both my Ecclesiarchy force, and the Inq28mm game I am running;

The Athanasians are named after their spiritual founder, a simple Ministorum Priest called Athanasius. There was nothing to mark him out – while orthodox and faithful to the Imperial Creed and capable of an uplifting homily, rousing speech or comforting spiritual encouragement, he was not a legendary preacher in the mold of Sebastian Thor or other heroes of the Ecclesiarchy. He was a humble, kind man, a gentle soul always ready to speak of the Emperor's benevolence and the duties of Humanity toward him.

Athanasius was assigned to an Astra Militarum regiment taking part in a campaign on the fringes of the Imperium, to the galactic south of Ophelia VII. The campaign was a large one, with men and materiel from all divisions of the Imperium's mighty war machine taking part. Fighting alongside the Astra Militarum, Adeptus Titanicus and Imperial Navy was a force of Adeptus Astartes drawn from the Salamanders, Blood Angels and Dark Angels Chapters. The title of Warmaster and overall command was given to the General of the Regiment, but the Marines operated under their individual commanders with a great degree of latitude.

The leader of the Blood Angel contingent was Librarian Alexander, a psyker with powerful precognitive ability often assailed by dreams and visions. It was one such vision that challenged a central tenet of the Astartes Creed – the belief the Emperor is not divine, but merely a great man. The Imperial Creed teaches the God-Emperor is just that – a divine god – while the Space Marines hold a different view.

His faith shaken and challenged, Alexander needed spiritual guidance, but there was no Blood Angel Chaplain for him to speak with. Instead, he spoke with Interogator-Chaplain Arius, commander of the Dark Angel forces.

Arius was scandalized by what he perceived as Alexander's lack of faith and feared he teetered on the brink of heresy, risking falling into a primitive belief unworthy of an Astartes and more suited to the dull citizens of the Imperium. But Arius' arguments – perhaps high-handed and scornful – did not persuade Alexander, who continued to patiently ask innocent questions of the increasingly-furious Arius.

Alexander left Arius unsatisfied and spoke privately with Athanasius. The preacher gave simple, perhaps childish, answers to Alexander's questions - but these did much to satisfy him. He returned time and again, sometimes bringing within him members of his Honor Guard. Athanasius was intimidated by the hulking Marines, but answered their questions as best he could. He saw that, despite their strength and power, they were unschooled in the truth of the Emperor and hungry to learn more. He treated them with the same kind simplicity he would an unschooled catechumen. Gradually, this simple faith convinced Alexander and a number of the Honor Guard of the Emperor's divinity.

But one of the Honor Guard, a Marine named Ephialtes, was not converted. He went to Arius and denounced his fellow Blood Angels. Arius was incensed and – convinced of his theology's truth – angrily demanded a debate between him and “the sniveling fool” Athanasius on the true nature of the Emperor.

Athanasius was terrified. He had not evangelized the Blood Angels – they had come to him with questions he had answered. Throughout, he had done nothing more than preach the Imperial Creed and the Blood Angels had come to believe. The ancient, simmering, long-burred tension between the Astartes and Ecclesiarchy threatened to rear its head … with him in the middle!

Not knowing what else to do, he went to the Inquisition. Inquisitor Danforth Laertes of the Ordo Hereticus accompanied the campaign. He recognized the potential for this to rapidly spiral out of control and invoked the Inquisitorial Mandate, convening a Council-Trial on the newly-liberated world of Nicea.

Arius fumed – he had wanted to handle the matter internally, rebuking the Sanguinians and sending them back in disgrace to Baal. Now, the Inquisition was involved and Laertes – a man with close-ties to the Ecclessiarchy – would make the ultimate judgment. He arrogantly refused to debate with “one less than an Astartes” and assigned his subordinate, Chaplain-Novice Abdiel, to formally represent “the heresy of Athanasius” on the debate floor. He hoped Abdiel being forced to present a position he did not hold would result in a weak argument, leading to a quick defeat.

But he did not put all his trust in the Council-Trial. He saw this as a matter internal to the Astartes and had Ephialtes send word to the Blood Angels' Fortress-Monastery on Baal, reporting on their Librarian's deviation from the Astartes Creed and the Cult of the Sanguine Angel. Arius hoped Supreme-Commander Dante and High Chaplain Astorath would declare Alexander and his men Excommunicate Traitoris, exiled from the Chapter and the Marines.

The Council-Trial began, with Alexander and his Honor-Guard sitting in the dock and many of the Astartes, including Captain Nicholas of the Salamanders, observing. Laertes sat in judgment as the debate raged back and forth – Arius was bombastic and arrogant, interrupting and shouting down Abdiel who – unfamiliar with the details of the Imperial Creed – read quietly from basic catechisms and repeated simple doxologies Athanasius had told him. When called to answer the charges, Alexander – handsome and charismatic as only a Blood Angel can be, his face a mask of terrible beauty – spoke eloquently and persuasively of his new-found faith and understanding. He and his men understood very well the danger they were in, setting themselves against Astartes orthodoxy. But their religious fervor was too great and they would not quail. “Though all the Chapters be against me," said Alexander, "here I stand.”

The debate continued over many days, with the calm presentation of the simple faith of the Imperial Creed contrasting with Arius's violent denunciations. Arius became more and more frustrated as he not only failed to bring Alexander and his men back to the light of truth, but also saw other Marines – including Abdiel – start to believe Athanasius' foolish heresy. Although it was clear Alexander and his men defied the teaching of the Adeptus Astartes, they were, in truth, holding perfectly to the Imperial Creed. It was obvious Inquisitor Laertes could not help but find in favor of Alexander, even if this might lead to tension between the Ecclesiarchy and Astartes.

Laertes was due to deliver his verdict the same day word came from Baal; Astorath had declared Alexander and his men Excommunicate Traitoris, elevating Ephialtes to the position of commander of the Blood Angels force and empowering him to strip the heretics of their armor, execute them and burn their geneseed. Arius was gleeful and marched into the chamber at the head of a force of Blood and Dark Angels, ready to carry out the sentence.

But Laertes stopped them – he ruled he could find no fault in their theology. While he permitted the Astartes latitude in matters of internal discipline, he would allow them to do no more than exile Alexander and his men. “No-one,” he reminded them, “neither Astartes nor man, may kill one in whom a Council-Trial of the Inquisition has found no stain of crime or heresy.”

Arius was incensed. He rejected Laertes' judgment, defying the authority of the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy, launching into a long sermon on the faults of the Imperial Creed and the failings of the Imperium itself, accusing those who worshiped the Emperor as a god of perverting his teachings and ruining his vision for humanity.

Outwardly calm, but realizing the danger of Arius' position, Laertes repeated his judgment and demanded Arius stand down. Arius did not heed him and continued his tirade. Abdiel urged his master to reconsider, but Arius shouted his subordinate down once again, screaming in his face and accusing him of the same heresy as had infected Alexander. Abdiel stood silently, letting his master finish, and then turned to Athanasius, seeing if the preacher had some simple, gentle response as he usually did. This was too much for Arius – shoving his subordinate aside, he charged towards Athanasius.

There were no weapons permitted in the Council-Trial, of course, but Arius was wearing his Power Armor. Even if he had not been, a blow from a Space Marine's naked fist would have been fatal to the frail preacher. He fell to the floor without a sound.

Laertes jumped to his feet – violence at a Council-Trial was not tolerated, and the murder of an innocent priest was a crime. But before he could rebuke the Chaplain, Captain Nicholas gave an anguished cry and leaped from the gallery to strike Arius, knocking him to the ground. The two giants wrestled on the floor of the Council-Trial, powerful blows battering their armor and shattering chips from the marble tiles.

Nicholas was a follower of the Promethian Cult, a variation of the Astartes Creed which taught protection of the innocent citizens of the Imperium. Throughout the trial, Nicholas had been scornful of with Arius' bombastic arrogance and had been more and more impressed by the serene simplicity of Abdiel and Athanasius' faith.

Laertes called – in vain – for calm, but the Astartes would not heed him. The Dark Angels ran to their Chaplain's assistance. Alexander and his men leaped from the dock to fight the sons of the Lion. Other Marines were drawn in – soon, the whole chamber was a heaving sea of brawling Astartes.

Nicholas, Alexander, Abdiel and their supporters were outnumbered and swiftly overpowered, held down and stripped of their armor. Thundering litanies of the Astartes Creed, Arius ordered Ephialtes to tear out the Librarian's progenitor glands with his bare hands.

Ephialtes fell with a full clip of bolt rounds in him – Laertes had not been idle and had summoned his troops; a full-company of Adepta Sororitas stood on the balcony, weapons trained on the Marines below. Very deliberately, Palatine Alicia, the commander of the company, reloaded her bolter. “The Inquisition has spoken – the case is closed,” she said quietly, but with ceramite in her tone.

Unarmed, covered from an elevated position, Arius knew his position was untenable. Vowing vengeance against those he derisively called “Athanasians”, Laertes, the Inquisition, the Ecclesiarchy and perhaps the whole Imperium, Arius and those loyal to him left the chamber.

Stripped of their armor and exiled from their Chapters, Alexander, Nicholas, Abdiel and their followers were cast adrift. Laertes, realizing their value and knowing they required formal protection against the might of the Astartes and even the Imperium in general, brought them under his aegis as members of his Household.

There were ten Marines – Alexander and four members of his Honor-Guard, Nicholas and two of his most-loyal adjutants, Abdiel and a Excruciator-Apothecary formerly attached to the Chaplaincy who had come to believe as the young Chaplain-Novice did. Taking Arius' dismissive slur as their new name and a badge of honor, they called themselves the Athanasians and pledged themselves to service of the God-Emperor, taking their orders from Laertes and the Ecclesiarchy as the mouthpieces of Him-On-Earth. Abdiel, acting as their spiritual head, reverently enclosed Athanasius' bones in a reliquary so the Marines could venerate the fallen preacher as their first martyr.

Initially, the Athanasians fought protected by flak and carapace armor drawn from the Ministorium's armory, using their personal weapons which the Sisters of Battle – who had enforced surrender of weaponry within the Council-Trial – had preserved. But a vision drew them to long-dead world and a pre-Imperial temple buried under tones of radioactive sand. There they found ancient suited of powered armor dating to the Dark Age of Technology. Elegant and equipped with hyper-sophisticated neural linkage, these suits were of a different design to Space Marine power armor and in many ways superior. The suits were brilliant gold and adorned with the ancient lightning bolt symbol – the personal badge of the Emperor during the Unification Wars on Terra before the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. The Athanasians saw these as a gift from the Emperor and a sign of his favor, and donned the suits.

But they were not designed to work with the Astartes organism – while they followed the Marines' movements, they did not interface perfectly with their superhuman senses or contain the health-monitoring, drug-dispensing or blood-scrubbing technologies of the standard suits. Scavenging from battlefields, trading on the black market and even stooping so low as to raid other Chapters, the Athanasians gradually obtained backpacks, helmets and weaponry, enabling them to use wear the distinctive armor.

During these years, they gradually added to their number – drawn by rumor of their beliefs and perhaps visions and dreams, individual Marines from other Chapters unsatisfied with the Astartes Creed and who had come to believe the Emperor was divine joined them.

The Athanasians now number a little less than two dozen, organized into four squads and led by their commanders Nicholas, Alexander and Abdiel. Each Marine wears the ancient golden armor found in the temple, but with their helmets, backpacks, weapons and select plates of their armor painted in their previous Chapter colors – the Athanasians do not reject the traditions or honor of their former homes, but rather recognize they have moved beyond the Astartes Creed and must follow the Emperor authentically. To this end, each Marine applies himself to deep spiritual devotions to the God-Emperor and adorns him armor with many relics, purity seals and other outward signs of his faith.

You had me up until I noticed that power fist. Just a wee bit overboard on that bit, I think. blink.png

Overall, I like them. They don't really look like space marines, but if you wanted that from the new WHFB kits, you would be in for a world of tedious converting.

It's well done fluff, and similarly quality models! I'd agree with Nysee in that the ornate helms (particularly the Grey Knights style) are a better fit than others.

The one critique I'd make to the fluff would be changing "But a vision drew them to long-dead world ... There they found ancient suited of powered armor dating to the Dark Age of Technology." - every other part of your fluff feels like a natural, logical chain of events, while this is something of an out of the blue convenience. Perhaps their unique armour was crafted by the same forges dedicated to the production of Sororitas Power Armour, and built to Alexander's specification to portray his personal vision of the God Emperor? Would tie in with their existing relation with the Ecclesiarchy/Adepta Sororitas.

You had me up until I noticed that power fist. Just a wee bit overboard on that bit, I think. blink.png

40K is all about the crazy smile.png Those are going to be painted in Chapter colors - repurposed Dread arms or something.

The one critique I'd make to the fluff would be changing "But a vision drew them to long-dead world ... There they found ancient suited of powered armor dating to the Dark Age of Technology." - every other part of your fluff feels like a natural, logical chain of events, while this is something of an out of the blue convenience.

You do have a point - I might revise it. But, I did want something in there which actually spoke to the divinity of the Emperor. Obviously, the Emperor isn't "god" as we understand it (really, the whole notion of "what is a god?" is one which is open to discussion . . .) but the Imperium thinks he is, and worships him as such. So . . .

I do like your fluff suggestion, however. It is all under revision . . .

Thank you both!

You do have a point - I might revise it. But, I did want something in there which actually spoke to the divinity of the Emperor. Obviously, the Emperor isn't "god" as we understand it (really, the whole notion of "what is a god?" is one which is open to discussion . . .) but the Imperium thinks he is, and worships him as such. So . . .

Although the Emperor usually seems to operate in the manner of nudges and luck, you make a good point about a degree of "divine intervention" being important to the Athanasians's theme. Perhaps if that divine intervention, his guiding vision, remained, but on a different scale - when rearming at a Forgeworld, visions of the Emperor lead him to a long-forgotten vault (or tomb!)?

• 2 weeks later...

Aieee! I edited the above post and the site timed out and it only uploaded half of it.

Hmm. I shall have to repost that.

Anyway; here are some pictures I took of the models. Click to make them larger. These are the two officers; Captain Nicholas, Librarian Alexander and Chaplain Abdiel. They still need some Green Stuff work and - looking at the big pictures - I see my sculpting is rough in places. Have to have it cleaned up, but maybe paint will cover that.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_01_1sm.jpg

Nicholas is pretty much just the regular Lord-Celestant on Dracoth, but I have added some Marine parts to him. He works really well as a Salamander!

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_02_1sm.jpg

Alexander uses a lot of Grey Knight parts - I originally cut the back torso up a lot and resculpted around the lion shoulder pad, but then I realized I should use a Grey Kight one, so had to hack him up and do even more resculpting! It's not perfect, but the purity seals hide it and I think some paint will cover a multitude of sins.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_03_1sm.jpg

Abdiel is based on the Lord Relictor - I see there are some more hammer symbols I have to remove / replace. The cloak clasp has a broken icon of the Imperalis, an Aquila-variant which the Astartes use and which references the Emperor's sacrifice. The brokenness of the icon can represent many things - a belief in the resurrection of the Emperor, a denial of his death, a break with the Astartes or a denial of the Astartes creed of his mortality.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_04-08_1sm.jpg

The Terminator Assault squad. From left to right; Space Wolf, Blood Angel, Black Templar sgt (need to do a backpack swap for this guy with the sgt in the other squad), Blood Angel, Fighting Tiger.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_09-13_1sm.jpg

The Terminator Squad (the glaives count-as powerfists). From left to right; Salamander (flamer), Ultramarine, undecided Chapter sgt (I need to swap the backpack with the sgt from the Termie-ass squad, White Scar, Dark Angel Apothecary).

----------

Here is the post I originally made above; I reproduce it here in its completeness;

So I've been giving some thought to the organization of the force, and I think I've got it pretty much sorted. But I need your help! As mentioned in the fluff, the initial core of the force was Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Salamanders ... but they have added extra Marines drawn to them over the years. Here is the organization of the force - together with descriptions etc. of the members. Their original Chapters are shown in brackets - and I need more suggestions! I've got all the original Loyalist Legions represented, but I would love other cool Chapters in there ... even those of your own invention if you are willing! Also looking for suitable names, backstories, fluff etc. smile.png

Officers

Captain Nicholas (Salamander) - armed with a Thunderhammer and riding a Dracolith (a monstrous beast from Nocturne - likely use the rules for Thunderwolf or something)

Chaplain Abdiel (Dark Angel) - classic Chaplain loadout with a Crozius

Librarian Alexander (Blood Angel) - classic Librarian loadout (he is modelled with a psycannon, but likely that will just count as some kind of suitable weapon)

Terminator Squad

Sergeant XXXX ( ) - storm bolter & powerglaive (This guy has a lion shoulder pad and a "rayed halo" helm, so some kind of history / chapter referencing that would be cool)

Marine XXXX (Ultramarine) - storm bolter & powerglaive

Marine XXXX (White Scar) - storm bolter & powerglaive

Marine XXXX (Salamander) - heavy flamer & powerglaive (Nicholas' loyal adjutant)

Apothecary Raphael (Dark Angel) - storm bolter & powerglaive

Terminator Assault Squad

Sergeant XXXX (Black Templar) - Lightning claws (former Emperor's Champion; he carries the broken remains of the Black Sword in a reliquary on his back)

Marine XXXX (Blood Angel) - Lightning claws (one of Alexander's Honor Guard}

Marine XXXX (Fighting Tiger - from The Jungle) - Lightning claws

Marine XXXX (Blood Angel) - Thunderfist & Storm Shield (one of Alexander's Honor Guard}

Marine XXXX (Space Wolf) - Thunderfist & Storm Shield

Assault Squad

Sergeant XXXX (Blood Angel) - Thunder Hammer & Melta Pistol (one of Alexander's Honor Guard}

Marine XXXX (Blood Angel) - CCW & Plasma (one of Alexander's Honor Guard}

Marine XXXX ( ) - CCW & Plasma

Marine XXXX (Raven Guard) - CCW & Bolt Pistol

Marine XXXX ( ) - CCW & Bolt Pistol

Marine XXXX ( ) - CCW & Bolt Pistol

Centurion Siege Squad

Sergeant XXXX (Imperial Fist) - Melta

Techmarine XXXX (Iron Hands) - Flamer (because of his expertise, he functions as the group's Techmarine although he is not one officially or in the rules)

Marine XXXX ( ) - Flamer

So, any input you might have gratefully received! I would dearly love to include some of the Brother's home-brewed Chapters in here!

I like the DCCWs - the ridiculousness is part of the fun to me smile.png

Anyway - pics of the assault Marines. I have another three to assemble, and I have done some putty work on these (giving the guy with the laurel wreath a gorget which looks rather nice, if I do say so myself). Again, click for larger image.

http://www.batcave.co.uk/athanasians/plastic_14-16_1sm.jpg

No comments from anyone or ideas about specific Chapters I could use?

• 1 month later...

They don't really look like space marines, but if you wanted that from the new WHFB kits, you would be in for a world of tedious converting.

Agreed, too much work for something that pretty much look like stock fancy fantasy models with some Marine parts, rather than actually looking like Marines with maybe some archaic attachments/accoutrements.

Sorry Laertes, these ones just don't do it for me. They'd probably make fantastic bases to work off of for some Custodes conversions (surprised we haven't seen that already taking place, actually), but Marines? Nah, too much work to get them to look right, simple kitbashing doesn't get them anywhere near close.

Yes, I'll agreed:   they are Perfect for Custodians.  Or for a very special character model.  (I'm thinking Grey Knight Librarian)

Left To Right:

Lord Relictor with SM bitz and head.  minus the standard.

Terminator Chaplain

Terminator conversion for Grey Knights (abandoned)

Space Marine Captain.

http://www.gotnurbs.com/ironheaded/compare.png

Y'know this model came in 8 pieces?!   All the excuses of "it's too difficult to make" for plastic Sisters of Battle are pretty moot in comparison.   The left leg shin guard is actually a seperate piece just for the front look.  I'm definately stealing the banner the Lord Relictor was holding for Sisters of Battle troop icon or vehicle decoration, or priest to carry around.

It's all about how much one person wants to do "hobby" for having these bodies for WH40K.    But tell me they arent more Space Marine than Space Marines in size and scale?

Archived