Were you ever nearing completion of a project, then decided to start all over with a new direction? That is exactly what I did. I was in the middle of completing an olive drab Salamanders army, but I started to get bored. Honestly, I was becoming increasingly unhappy with how my 'realistic' marines were turning out.

Old scheme marines.

These models were not reflecting the reasons that I fell in love with 40k and the hobby. They were devoid of that sheer ridiculousness of the world that we all take too seriously sometimes. Simply put, my models weren't doing it for me. They didn't have any heart and soul, they were too dark, no feeling.

color scheme comparison

So, moving forward, I opted to go for a much brighter / graphical representation of the Salamander Space Marines. I was very inspired with the 'Retro' Ultramarines from IRONDOG Studios. As a graphic designer, an added bonus to myself was to drop the use of all metallic paints from the scheme. (I enjoy a good challenge) The goal is to use really saturated colors as bases, and use line highlighting like outlines in a cartoon. It gives the model a really nice hand drawn feel- almost in a comic book tradition. In a word, nostalgia. 

sternguard w/ Heavy flamer WIP

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has me very excited for the hobby. More importantly, it is a paint scheme that has my brain jumping for joy, and it looks great on the tabletop. My girlfriend described it as a Ninja Turtle. I'll take that as a compliment.

One of the best parts is that Vallejo Game Color Air has all of these hues in the line already, meaning that I won't have to thin down my paints for the airbrush! On top of that, I still haven't completed my highlights, so I could theoretically go over my current miniatures and not have to strip everything. 

Did I mention that I am really excited about this paint scheme? 

Basically I am taking a very literal approach to painting. For example- instead of VGC Burnished Gold for the chest plate, I am now using VGC Golden Yellow. 

sternguard WIP

The results so far: every time I field my troops, I am getting tons of compliments. More importantly however, I am super happy and excited to paint my army. Good things all around 

I have decided to match the codex astartes as far as squad marking for the salamanders. Fore more stage presence, I gave the Red Helmets for Sgts (White stripe for Vet Sgt), White Helmets for Vets etc. (I know it goes against the fluff, but technically the fluff hasn't happened yet) 

Other than that I am kit bashing a Tu'Shan in Terminator armor, but I am still figuring him out. I will post more on that after I finish up my sternguard. Lots of detailing to do!

Glad you dropped your drab green scheme, it just didn't look right for a sallies scheme. Your brighter green is much more in keeping with the "modern" sallies scheme and you've achieved a good look. Personally I prefer not to run a codex style squad markings on sallies (I use scales/flames/black knee pads for vets and sgts) to me it just doesn't feel right. However there are no rules for how they should look and what you have achieved looks real good. Great work.

Archived