IL XIII - The Eagle Warriors

AlphariusOmegon108

Cool looking models. You'll be well prepared for the coming Insurrection.

Been testing Alexos out more against K'awil and come to the following conclusion. He should definitely have an Archaeotech Pistol rather than a Bolt Pistol. It is practically the base weapon for a Primarch in my opinion and actually gives him a chance of hurting something in the shooting phase. I would even say that he shouldn't have his cost changed to get it, he should just get it for free :)

Primarch base....damn that is a long way still.

How do you do stuff so fast?!?!?  I was feeling smug that I'd starting building my Primarch's bases!

Man. He is a genetically enhanced deamonengine primarch.....don't ask. Just accept it.

Primarch base....damn that is a long way still.

How do you do stuff so fast?!?!?  I was feeling smug that I'd starting building my Primarch's bases!

Man. He is a genetically enhanced deamonengine primarch.....don't ask. Just accept it.

You know to much "blam"

Cool looking models. You'll be well prepared for the coming Insurrection.

Been testing Alexos out more against K'awil and come to the following conclusion. He should definitely have an Archaeotech Pistol rather than a Bolt Pistol. It is practically the base weapon for a Primarch in my opinion and actually gives him a chance of hurting something in the shooting phase. I would even say that he shouldn't have his cost changed to get it, he should just get it for free :)

That will be aranged :D

Excellent. Unfortunately Alexos and Alexandros haven't fared too well vs K'awil, they haven't managed to win a bout vs him yet. Not sure if I've made his anti-psyker stuff too strong as they find it practically impossible to manifest powers at him or when they are too close. If they do manage to get a buff on themselves though they should have a turn of slamming him as they are all fairly close stat-wise.

Ah.  I'll just have to accept that they will post nonsensical things on my behalf when I'm away.  I did take them to the vet this morning though; my own brand of justice!

On a more related note, from what model does Alexos on Galrauchii come - I recognise the carnosaur, is there anything else?

• 1 month later...

"Some say we changed, some say we failed. I say we changed, I say we evolved. We changed, we became perfect. I perfected us, I changed us. My sons call me a god, my brothers call me a fool. I have thrown the dice of life, and only death was the answer."

-From the legacy of the wolf eye, the deamon awakens.

• 4 months later...

Alpharius and I have been discussing the EW's reemergence late in the Crusade. The Wardens of Light were simply delighted to have them back, but with the Crimson Lions it played out like a messier version of the Night of the Wolf. Obviously, we need to work out how this was resolved without the EWs being declared renegade and wiped out.

I'd suggest Icarion take the lead in bringing Alexos "back", seeing as Alexos holds Alex in utter contempt. And that there can be the first real substantial " proof" for Icarion that he's better suited to lead the Primarchs than his brother.

Alpharius and I have been discussing the EW's reemergence late in the Crusade. The Wardens of Light were simply delighted to have them back, but with the Crimson Lions it played out like a messier version of the Night of the Wolf. Obviously, we need to work out how this was resolved without the EWs being declared renegade and wiped out.

I'd suggest Icarion take the lead in bringing Alexos "back", seeing as Alexos holds Alex in utter contempt. And that there can be the first real substantial " proof" for Icarion that he's better suited to lead the Primarchs than his brother.

Mhm, that battle between the EW and CL is where Hec's first axe, the one that was in the canonverse gifted to him by Ferrus Manus, breaks.

Im back people.. With a message... We are back..

And welcome to us... We have resurected.. The dead have lived, yet we live again. We die, yet we fight. We lose, yet we win. We are death, we are destruction

We are the thirteenth

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+Vox transaction incoming+

-Silence-

*Crackling static*

-Silence-

+Hel.. *chatter* LOAD!!!... *Large explosion, record crackles hard*

-Silence-

-Silence-

+*Cracking of vox, chattering*+

-Silence-

+*Crackle* Welcome... Welcome to us *Silent laughter*+

-Silence-

+*Hard and crackling breathing*+

+WELCOME TO THE THIRTEENTH WAR, THE THIRTEENTH LEGION... The eternal darkness *Impossibly high pitched laughter*+

+Vox transaction finished+

-Last heard message from the Morwyn y llyn, command ship of Captain Antian. Of the Wardens of Light, the twelfth legion. Contact lost afterwards, wreckage was never recovered. Thirteenth legion guestioned after close inspection of vox, no information gained.

Edited by AlphariusOmegon108

And to go with AO's execellent model, some AO approved EW fluff

Within the ranks of the Eagle Warriors, there exists a quiet order known as the Serpent Lodge. Founded by Alexos Travier upon being united with his legion, to outsiders the Serpent Lodge is simply a place where warriors of all ranks may gather in equal brotherhood and talk of what they wish. However, this is just a facade, maintained in order to hide the true activities of the Lodge. Shunned by many of the Terran astartes, the Serpent Lodge is a place where worship of the Aztekis gods can endure, far beyond the gaze of the Emperor. Amongst the ranks of the XIII, rumours abound of bloody rituals and sacrifices to the gods and the gold idols that Alexos worshipped upon his homeworld. It is said by the Terran veterans, many of whom steadfastly refuse to be drawn into the cults nefarious activities, that in order to be accepted into the Lodge, an Eagle Warrior must rip out the still beating heart of an astartes of a brother legion, both an act of treachery to draw the gods attention and a sacrifice to appease them. It is for this reason, say the Terrans, that some of the most devout members of the lodge paint their right gauntlet red, not to symbolise the blood they have shed in the name of the Imperial Truth as the Lodge members say. No matter what happens behind the closed doors of the Lodge chambers which exist on board every vessel of the XIII, all that can be known for certain about the lodge is that it is one of the strongest dividing lines amongst the Eagle Warriors, who is a warrior of the Lodge and who isn't.

The gods who it's said are worshipped in the lodge are no less mysterious than the organization which is accused of worshipping them. There is Mixcoatl, god of blood and death, Chalchiutotlin, god of disease and sickness, Calacoyanti, god of change and time and the youngest, Tlazolteotl, god of carnality and pleasure. According the ancient religion and beliefs of Mexicatii, each of these gods represents a fundamental pillar of the universe and they need sacrifice to sustain them. If they don't receive sacrifice then they will gradually begin to fade and if one fades, then the natural order of the universe will be overthrown and all life will perish and so the gods shall also perish, leaving nothing but an empty void in which no life can thrive nor any sun rise. Thus, the followers of the Aztekis gods believe that the sacrifices they make are necessary for the continued survival of all life and that the world shall end when people cease to believe in the gods and stop sacrificing beings to them. Indeed, the followers of the Aztekis gods even give this void of unbelief a name: Cipalocatl, the life witherer, the void from which none can return alive.

Edited by Sigismund229

Yet more AO approved

The Founding

The earliest known records of the XIII legion date back to the days of the Unification Wars in Kentral Amerik. A region of radioactive jungle, the inhabitants of this region had put up a highly effective defense against the forces of unity when they had attempted to conquer it, hitting them with repeated hit and run assaults and then fading away into the irradiated jungles before a significant Imperial response could be mobilised. While they were eventually conquered, the Emperor had been impressed with this tenacity and ingenuity in war, so the he drew the first recruits of the XIII legion from the region.

As so often, time would prove the Emperor wise in his decision to recruit these tribesmen. The early astartes of the XIII legion proved well suited to the lightning strikes that they had utilized against the forces of unity, being both quick on their feet and well disposed toward racing across plains atop a jetbike. While worse suited to being part of the main battle line, the XIII were frequently used in the late unification wars as a flanking force, moving around and launching lightning strikes on enemy flanks and rear as other forces held the enemy in place. Many times, it was a charge to the enemies rear by the XIII that decided the fighting in favour of the forces of unity. It was in this way that they earned their name, for when one enemy commander asked the Emperor "Who are these eagles who descend upon me?"(referring to the XIII legion who were charging his rear) the Emperor replied "They are my Eagle Warriors and they come for all of you".

It was following the battle of Razkev that the newly named Eagle Warriors received their greatest accolade and honour however. At the battle of Razkev, the massed regiments of Imperial Prussan foot and the III legion had clashed with the berserk hordes of the tyrant Kalaggan. The fighting lasted three days and three nights before it was finally decided by a final charge by the XIII who, freshly arrived upon the field, crashed into the flanks and rear of Kalaggan's massive horde and breaking the back of the Emperor's greatest foe even as the Blood Wolves claimed his head. Following this victory, the Emperor declared that the XIII would henceforth have the right to bear his personal symbol, the aquila upon their standards and their armour, an enormous honour and not one dispensed lightly, for the Eagle Warriors were the only legion to receive such an honour. From that day on, the XIII swore to never falter in their duty and to carry the aquila to the darkest corners of the galaxy in the newly declared Great Crusade.

And another AO approved piece

The Enlightenment

Following the legion's unification with its' primarch, a gradual change began to take place within the Eagle Warriors. Known as the change to Terran Eagle Warriors or the englightenment to Mexicatan Eagle Warriors, this was a slow process, taking place over decades rather than the months it took other primarchs to transform their legions. However, once begun, the change was inorexable and would turn the Eagle Warriors into a changed force on the battlefield.

The change began with the induction of the first Mexicatan recruits into the legion. While they had been made strong and undoubtedly determined by the trials their homeworld forced upon them, they brought with them their gods and beliefs, beliefs which were endorsed and even actively encouraged by the XIII's new found primarch. It was also with the Mexicatans that the 13 lodges were established in the legion, one for each aspect of the Aztekis gods. While the Mexicatan astartes were devoted to the lodges, their Terran bretheren were horrified by such religious behaviour. While some became part of the lodges, seeking to bind themselves more strongly to their primarch, most stayed true to the Imperial Truth, refusing to partake in any ritual, even if, as their brothers told them, the gods to whom the ritual was dedicated were mere figureheads and the ritual's true purpose was to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood within the legion. However, as the number of Mexicatan astartes grew, such screens for lodge activity became threadbare, with the ever shrinking ranks of Terrans becoming outcasts and exiles in their own legion.

However, of all the changes and horrors that occured during the years following the XIII's unification with their primarch, none matched the battle of Monarchia. It was in this place, not in orbit over Kataii, that astartes first clashed in battle. Reports had reached the Emperor's ears of a XIII legion ever more occupied with taking prisoners, for what purpose none knew, of astartes from other legions going missing fighting alongside the XIII and of the massacre of entire populations. So it was that the Emperor sent Hectarion Mycenor to teach his brother restraint and to teach Alexos to reign in the worst excesses of his sons. However, beneath the storm wracked skies of Monarchia, Hectarion found that his brother knew of his sons excesses and had no intention of curbing them. Disgusted, the Mycenor attacked his brother and his legion charged the Eagle Warriors. The two fought all night and countless astartes of both legions were slain, their blood mixing in pools as the heavens opened on Monarchia. When the dawn came and the slaughter ceased, neither side could claim victory and all that had been achieved was the breaking of bonds that dated back to the Unification Wars and sowing the seeds for the decades of hatred.

Yet no matter what the Emperor did, the Eagle Warriors were now a changed force on the battlefield, with or without their primarch, who was their leader in name only. While they still launched the hit and run raids of days gone by, these attacks were now intended to take prisoners for the use of lodge in its rituals rather than to damage the enemy. In addition to this, the Eagle Warriors began to dabble more and more in gene manipulation and the use of "Itaii Aioka" or battle medicines, special types of combat drugs that would enduce a red haze of killing fury or give a warrior pretenatural speed in combat. While they couldn't see it at the time, the XIII had taken their first steps down the road from which there can be no return.

Not trying to criticise here given I haven't got the full story yet but several questions keep echoing in my mind while reading that last chapter;

1.Why didn't the Terran Eagle Warriors report Alexos's blatant disregard of the Imperial Truth to the Emperor or Malcador? Or join Hectarion at Monarchia?

2. Why didn't the Emperor react when the XIII not only defies Hectarion, who the Emperor personally charged with making Alexos change his ways, therefore straight-up defying the Emperor, but then actually engages Mycenor and his legion in all-out battle?

3.Why does Alexos introduce the Mexicatii pantheon and the sacrificial practices almost immediately with only lodge membership as privacy? Surely that would be a huge red flag to anyone who knew what was going on?

Again, I don't mean to sound like I'm just hating on your work, I'm just trying wrap my head around this because it's really stretching my suspension of disbelief. It just feels like Alexos is so blatantly nefarious from the get-go with none of the subtle, gradual corruption that was the case with Lorgar and company, plus the unabashed defiance of the XIII come their telling-off by Hectarion feels like they were trying to be a Lost Legion in this universe too... I don't know, I'm just concerned is all.

Have to admit, I share SanguiniusReborn's concerns. There's one other thing- did the Legion really have a sizeable Terran contingent, still at odds with the majority after their self-exile? Surely they'd convert or be purged, far from the Imperium's eyes?

And personally, I think the Legion's allegiance should be kept hush-hush up until the ritual to destroy the Terran wards. Then we can have a nice "finally, I can walk in the light of the gods" moment. I suggest their clandestine activities until then should be largely restricted to their gene-splicing. On which note, I'll start that fluff piece tomorrow.

Edited by bluntblade