Dom_'s Ultramarine Thread: 28/08/2015 - Sicaran Battle Tank

Dom_

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my showcase of my Ultramarines!

I'm not the best with a camera, but hopefully the pictures are able to show the models well enough.

I hope you all enjoy, and feel free to leave any feedback!!

First up, Roboute Guilliman. The Master of Ultramar. Primarch of the Ultramarines.

IMG 2391

IMG 2412

IMG 2414

IMG 2413

IMG 2410

IMG 2400

I entered this model in my local GW's annual painting challenge and was over the moon to take home 1st place!!!

Stay tuned for a Command Squad!

Dom_

@markham82 yeh I thought the cloak lacked a bit of trim, but I certainly wasn't going to freehand it. Thanks for your kind words!

@ChaoticEric the gold is really easy, and is basically what FW use for Ultras themselves. Basecoat with Balthasar Gold, layer with thinned auroc armour until a solid smooth colour, then wash with agrax earthshade. On Guilliman I highlighted with a mix of runefang steel and auric armour gold. Now I use the new Liberator gold as its perfect for the job.

Thanks for the praise. I'm sure you can do a great job yourself. I found that on models like this just to take your time and really thin your paints well. I had to nervously strip his head with acetone once because I rushed it.

Thanks a bunch, I'm going to give that a go! Think I might use that on the invictarus squad I have on pre-order.

I was actually looking at FWs Guilliman only the other day and thought the gold looked really good but didn't know how to replicate that. The only thing stopping from getting him now is the marble which I'm terrified of and have no idea how to paint.

@markham82 yeh I thought the cloak lacked a bit of trim, but I certainly wasn't going to freehand it. Thanks for your kind words!

@ChaoticEric the gold is really easy, and is basically what FW use for Ultras themselves. Basecoat with Balthasar Gold, layer with thinned auroc armour until a solid smooth colour, then wash with agrax earthshade. On Guilliman I highlighted with a mix of runefang steel and auric armour gold. Now I use the new Liberator gold as its perfect for the job.

Thanks for the praise. I'm sure you can do a great job yourself. I found that on models like this just to take your time and really thin your paints well. I had to nervously strip his head with acetone once because I rushed it.

Hello again everyone,

Thank you all for the kind words and feedback for Guilliman. I had a blast painting him and it's great to know the hard work has paid off.

Today, I present the 2nd Company Command Squad, the Lions of Macragge!

These were built with the new Ultramarines upgrade pack, with you will see from a few of the parts.

So without further ado:

The Lions of Macragge

P1010046 Min

Veteran Sergeant Daceus

P1010037 Min

P1010036 Min

P1010035 Min

Apothecary Venatio

P1010033 Min

P1010034 Min

Ancient Vandius, Standard Bearer. I just love the Micro Sol and Set solutions to apply decals. With a coat of Lahmian medium on top, they really do look painted on.

P1010032 Min

P1010031 Min

Honoured Brother Gaius Prabian, Company Champion. I used a different helmet to what is usual, since the quality of the mould in the command squad box is poor. I like the look of the replacement with the golden laurel wreath. 

P1010039 Min

P1010038 Min

P1010040 Min

Last but not least, Honoured Brother Malcian, equipped with a flamer.

P1010042 Min

P1010043 Min

P1010045 Min

Any comments and feedback are welcomed. Next time I will show the 2nd Company Captain, Cato Sicarius (custom model) as well as my Chaplain and Librarian. Stay tuned!

Dom_

After looking at your Robute again, it looks exactly how I imagined Robute during Unremembered Empire. Very regal and inspiring looking, but yet his eyes are so worn and strained from the atrocities commited onto his legion, and you can just see all the pain he must struggle to keep inside as he fights on.

Not sure if that was your intention but to me, you really captured that perfectly I think.

After looking at your Robute again, it looks exactly how I imagined Robute during Unremembered Empire. Very regal and inspiring looking, but yet his eyes are so worn and strained from the atrocities commited onto his legion, and you can just see all the pain he must struggle to keep inside as he fights on.

Not sure if that was your intention but to me, you really captured that perfectly I think.

Thank you. I wanted him to definitely look post-Calth. To look like he was up for a fight, but that he had lost so much already.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok everyone, I'm finally proud to present my finished Sicaran. And it only took the best part of 9 months to finish it!

This is painted in my Ultramarine Legion scheme. Which is basically more weathering an less highlighting. Let me know what you think!

2015 08 28 11.26.44 Min

2015 08 28 11.28.52 Min

2015 08 28 11.29.21 Min

2015 08 28 11.27.48 Min

2015 08 28 11.28.05 Min

2015 08 28 11.27.12 Min

2015 08 28 11.28.20 Min

2015 08 28 11.28.33 Min

I've just bought a Whirlwind Scorpius, so you'll see that in maybe 9 months msn-wink.gif
Next post will be a Contemptor which is very nearly finished! Stay tuned!

Dom you REALLY make me want to do my Sicaran. 

I have a slight preference to some highlights breaking up the base, but I think you nailed it. 

It looks fantastic. You gotta get this into games and do some batreps back on the Ultra forum. ;) 

I love the battle damage, and the metallics are really nice. I love it.

Dom you REALLY make me want to do my Sicaran.

I have a slight preference to some highlights breaking up the base, but I think you nailed it.

It looks fantastic. You gotta get this into games and do some batreps back on the Ultra forum. ;)

I love the battle damage, and the metallics are really nice. I love it.

Thanks so much. It's great to get such awesome feedback. I'd love to see your Sicaran some day soon :D

Great sicaran, really nicely done! I prefer weathering to highlighting any day and I think you have just the right amount of weathering on the sicaran. The dried mud looks really good in those pics as well, just the right shade.

Great sicaran, really nicely done! I prefer weathering to highlighting any day and I think you have just the right amount of weathering on the sicaran. The dried mud looks really good in those pics as well, just the right shade.

Thanks so much! I had trouble with the dried mud. I tried forge world powders and tamiya weathering powders and they rubbed off quickly. What you see is just a Zandri dust dry brush.

Thanks so much! I had trouble with the dried mud. I tried forge world powders and tamiya weathering powders and they rubbed off quickly. What you see is just a Zandri dust dry brush.

Good job with that, it looks really good!

I also haven't quite found my mojo with the powders yet :)

Archived