Allies for Deathwing

Spiral

Your right.

All depends on how many points for me.

Ravenwing are great as you can get all kinds of help to get dw on the table safely when you need them.

For bigger games the lion's blade gives that extra kick with full bs overwatch.

Would be interesting to see if our librarians conclave could survive long enough to get them on the table.

When all else fails there is always a good old cad

Except that there's a pretty good chance it will not get FAQ'd, even if GW ever puts one out, which is looking unlikely.

After all, GW has never had to FAQ that a banner or standard applies to the unit that carries it. These use the same/similar wording and nobody ever questions if they apply to the bearer's unit.

Then my favourite choice has to be my imperial knight but thats just because I love it.

Very rarely does it die on turn one. It doesn't help get your boys safely on the table but can put out a hell of a lot of support fire plus you will find it takes most of the heavy weapon shots instead of your deathwing

Aye, I'm with Jazz. An Imperial Knight can light your enemies' night on fire. Mine never got knocked down turn one, for sure. Try a Knight Crusader with AA mount for extreme protective fire. If there are going to be some tough eggs to crack vehicle-wise, take a Knight Errant with Thunder Strike Gauntlet. He'll be able to thermal cannon the vehicle or smash it and throw at another enemy. Just head over to the Adeptus Mechanicus sub-forum and Immersturm will help you out.

In regards to Deathwing allies I've been trying to find the best way to recreate a pure Deathwing alpha strike force. The DWRF allows everything to come in on turn 2 but we need something on the field to survive turn 1 and hopefully provide deep strike accuracy. The obvious choice is probably the RWAS for the 12" teleport homers but what do you guys think of Inquisition? A budget inquisitor with 3 servo skulls (34pts) could provide deep strike accuracy while completely hiding out of LOS.

I like the land raider formation from space marines for giving you that turn 1 presence for pure DW. Especially with the little bonuses they get

In regards to Deathwing allies I've been trying to find the best way to recreate a pure Deathwing alpha strike force. The DWRF allows everything to come in on turn 2 but we need something on the field to survive turn 1 and hopefully provide deep strike accuracy. The obvious choice is probably the RWAS for the 12" teleport homers but what do you guys think of Inquisition? A budget inquisitor with 3 servo skulls (34pts) could provide deep strike accuracy while completely hiding out of LOS.

You could certainly include an Inquisitor but it wouldn't make much sense fluff-wise. Although post-battle accidents do happen...

Hide a librarian or inter-chaplain (via inner circle) with terminator armour inside teh ruin will do.

Unless you want to take other imperial forces.

Hide a librarian or inter-chaplain (via inner circle) with terminator armour inside teh ruin will do.

You can only take Inner Circle with the Lion's Blade detachment. It is not a stand-alone formation.

As to the best way to recreate a pure Deathwing alpha strike force, I would combine the DWSF and the DWRF. Put three venerable dreadnoughts in the strike force and two come in turn one. Put the rest of your army in the Redemption Force and have them come in turn 2. Have locator beacons on your first two drop pods for precision landing.

You will have to avoid making it easy for your opponent to destroy all 4 vehicles (two dreads and two pods) on turn 1. As long as that's not possible, you get your big strike in turn 2.

In a way, this can be an alpha/beta two wave strike if you get to go second. Drop the two ven dreads where they can do the most damage. You don't have to worry as much about risk since you are guaranteed to continue the game in turn 2 (barring a ridiculous amount of interceptor fire).

You can only take Inner Circle with the Lion's Blade detachment. It is not a stand-alone formation.

As to the best way to recreate a pure Deathwing alpha strike force, I would combine the DWSF and the DWRF. Put three venerable dreadnoughts in the strike force and two come in turn one. Put the rest of your army in the Redemption Force and have them come in turn 2. Have locator beacons on your first two drop pods for precision landing.

You will have to avoid making it easy for your opponent to destroy all 4 vehicles (two dreads and two pods) on turn 1. As long as that's not possible, you get your big strike in turn 2.

In a way, this can be an alpha/beta two wave strike if you get to go second. Drop the two ven dreads where they can do the most damage. You don't have to worry as much about risk since you are guaranteed to continue the game in turn 2 (barring a ridiculous amount of interceptor fire).

So this means we can't take scouts unless running lion's blade or CAD (and unbound)...great.

Now I need more droppod and ven dread.

Scouts are a Troops choice. You can either utilize them through the Lion's Blade or, yes, in a Combined Arms Detachment. In the CAD, you use it like the FoC from Editions passed as that is exactly what it is. I'm not seeing where the let-down comes in.

Archived