Cohort Cybernetica

Alright So I got bitten by the adeptus bug again and now I really want to run a mechanicus army sometime in the future, and one of the units I would love to run is the cohort itself as the main brick/ heavy hitter in a skitarii army.

What is the best ways to run this formation? All with phosphor? or all with power fists?

And other question... can you make the dominus your warlord in your army?

I don't generally run the Cohort because I like the flexibility and bonuses of a full Cult Mechanicus detachment, but Kastelans are generally best with full phosphor unless you'll be using allies (especially FW) to address their mobility issues. If you go the allied path, you'd be better off leaving them with PF, but I'd still recommend upgrading the carapace weapons to Phosphor no matter what. The Template weapon is nice (especially as Torrent), but you can get horde control elsewhere in your list.

In either case, as far as I know the Dominus can be your Warlord. That said, if you take a detachment I'm pretty sure you'd have to choose a character from that to be the Warlord, though I don't have my rulebook on hand and I'm certain there are individuals about that could correct me. tongue.png

I don't generally run the Cohort because I like the flexibility and bonuses of a full Cult Mechanicus detachment, but Kastelans are generally best with full phosphor unless you'll be using allies (especially FW) to address their mobility issues. If you go the allied path, you'd be better off leaving them with PF, but I'd still recommend upgrading the carapace weapons to Phosphor no matter what. The Template weapon is nice (especially as Torrent), but you can get horde control elsewhere in your list.

In either case, as far as I know the Dominus can be your Warlord. That said, if you take a detachment I'm pretty sure you'd have to choose a character from that to be the Warlord, though I don't have my rulebook on hand and I'm certain there are individuals about that could correct me. tongue.png

can you explain the other benefits to the detachment?

I would like the cult mechanicus detachment but there is something so fun about having such a large group of robots just walk around and wreck face in a huge mob, andI would only have to get robots and the dude rather than a bunch of servitors. Plus I like the use of the instant access to doctrines. I want to run this with skitari so this would be a perfect brick mob

So that leads into my next question: can you use the data doctrines at the start of your turn with this formation?

The only restriction on choosing a warlord is that it must be a character unless you have no characters in the army. The Magos Dominus is a character so he can be the warlord.

What do you mean by "data doctrines"? If you mean the kastellan battle protocols then yes, all the rules of the kastellan robot maniple apply to the Cohort Cybernetica.

The Tech Priest can be your warlord.

This is the way I would like to run them (sorry for german, but it should be understandable):

Cohort Cybernetica: Cult Mechanicus

***************  1 HQ  ***************  

Tech-Priest Dominus
- Volkite-Blaster
- Makropistole
- Datenerfassungsschädel (for Moral boost, can be cut to save points)
- Konverterfeld
- Arkhan Lands Autocaduceus
 - - - > 150 Punkte

***************  2 Unterstützung  ***************  

2 Kastelan Robots
- 1 x Energiefäuste
- 1 x schwerer Phosphorblaster
- 1 x Hochdruck-Verbrenner
- 1 x schwerer Phosphorblaster
+ Datasmith
   - Konverterfeld
   - Gewand des Technomärtyrers
 - - - > 340 Punkte

2 Kastelan Robots
- 2 x schwerer Phosphorblaster
- 2 x schwerer Phosphorblaster
+ Datasmith
   - Konverterfeld
   - Anzions Pseudogenetor (can be cut to save points)

830 Points total

I think with 3 full phosphor robots you still have enough dakka.
The one fist makes you more flexible against AV and MCs.
With the BS2 overwatch Relic, the twin linked Phosphor and a flamer your opponent will think twice before attacking you.

That's a solid build from DestinyFish (assuming my German isn't completely off). happy.png

The primary reason to use a full Cult Mech detachment is the ability to use a Canticle a second time; being able to use the ranged or melee re-roll twice in a row can be a huge boon, and honestly I don't mind having to take Kataphrons because they bring some serious firepower that helps to shore up the Kataphron's Phosphor shortcomings. You're also not required to put the Dominus with the Kastelans, and can split them into separate squads (which can be helpful too), though you lose the ability to restore wounds on the Kastelan Maniple unless you take the INWD relic on a Datasmith.

There are really upsides and downsides to both the Cohort and the detachment; I'd recommend trying both to see which fits your list better!

The only restriction on choosing a warlord is that it must be a character unless you have no characters in the army. The Magos Dominus is a character so he can be the warlord.

What do you mean by "data doctrines"? If you mean the kastellan battle protocols then yes, all the rules of the kastellan robot maniple apply to the Cohort Cybernetica.

yes I mean protocols, but can you use them immediately instead of waiting for a full turn to enact them? Like at the start of turn 2 I say mine will now stand still and shoot their carapace gun twice.

No, you can't choose a protocol at the start of your turn. Both the battle protocols rule and the cohort's Adept of the Cybernetica rule require you to choose at the end of your turn.

No, you can't choose a protocol at the start of your turn. Both the battle protocols rule and the cohort's Adept of the Cybernetica rule require you to choose at the end of your turn.

Oh darn, okay I thought otherwise. Is it difficult to choose the protocols during the course of battle? any places where they won the game using them?

Well, it could also make sense to switch to double CC attacks when you know you will get charged and are not able to shoot anyway.

But, if the oponent has AP 3 CC weapons, I would still keep FNP to stay alive.

BTW: I just realized that there is no need for the +1 Moral Skull since the whole squat is fearless because of the MCs

The Autocaduceus is not a great choice, unless your opponent obliges you by plinking wounds on multiple robots. I really like the Rainment as the best option for the Dominus, it makes the unit a very scary proposition to charge. The mask of the alpha dominus is a good choice on one of the Datasmiths. Best example I've seen is a kastelan robot unit that got charged, fired overwatch (with protector protocols for double shots!), then used the mask to switch into melee mode, which actually broke the enemy unit, and then used the Magos to swap into Aegis for the opponent's turn.

There is some debate about the Cohort's Adept of the Cybernetica. The intent of battle protocols seems pretty clear that the robots can only have one active at a time, which actually makes the Cohort's rule kind of a drawback when switching out of Aegis (and an advantage when switching back to Aegis).  However, some have argued that the protocol you select at the end of the turn takes effect immediately but doesn't actually deactivate your existing one, since per the battle protocol rule it only gets removed at the beginning of the turn when the new one becomes active. 

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get a FAQ sometime in 2017. tongue.png

Yes, three months before the next edition, Age of Emprah.

Dont you jest >.<

Anyways can you explain why the Auto-IWND thing isn't that good? I thought it would be amazing on a squad of robots like that. Plus to bounce wounds you can always send the wounded bot towards the back.

Dont you jest >.<

Anyways can you explain why the Auto-IWND thing isn't that good? I thought it would be amazing on a squad of robots like that. Plus to bounce wounds you can always send the wounded bot towards the back.

My previous words may have been a tad strong, it's not that IWND isn't that good, it's a solid upgrade, although I question how many rolls you would actually get over the course of the game. You can already heal back a point automatically with the priest, too. There is potential, but you will never know until you field it and see it for yourself. I ran it twice, and I think got back maybe one wound over the course of both games. And that was with me keeping the Datasmiths up front to catch AP3 shots, and pawning off AP2/S8+ hits to the robots to spread the wounds around.

I think it's mostly because the cognis is such an amazing rule. It lets you turn any unit the Warlord joins into a credible anti-air unit and discourages assaults, especially if re-rolls are available.

Dont you jest >.<

My previous words may have been a tad strong, it's not that IWND isn't that good, it's a solid upgrade, although I question how many rolls you would actually get over the course of the game. You can already heal back a point automatically with the priest, too. There is potential, but you will never know until you field it and see it for yourself. I ran it twice, and I think got back maybe one wound over the course of both games. And that was with me keeping the Datasmiths up front to catch AP3 shots, and pawning off AP2/S8+ hits to the robots to spread the wounds around.

I think it's mostly because the cognis is such an amazing rule. It lets you turn any unit the Warlord joins into a credible anti-air unit and discourages assaults, especially if re-rolls are available.

Good point. knowing my luck I would not roll a single IWND roll ever, so I see your point. but I will try it anyways once I get the scratch for everything. What has the cognis helped you do in general If I may ask for examples.

Well, last game he joined a unit of Rangers with arc rifles and a pistol and with the help of Benediction of Omniscience blew a Caestus Assault Ram out of the sky. The game before that he was hanging out with the Caliver Vanguard bullying flyrants. The game before that he hung out with Ruststalkers and the Cognis did nothing at all. tongue.png

Archived