Nakuth

Hi all

Just a quick question relating to the LA : Ultramarines rules. Ultramarines breacher units get the option to replace their boltguns for power swords "at a cost of x points each". My question is this: Does the points cost apply per model or for the whole unit?

In addition: does the entire squad need to take said update, or can one in five still take a special weapon from the listed options?

I'm AFB, so may have the wording slightly wrong. Thanks for your help.

Wording is "[...] Each Breacher May swap their bolter for a Power Sword [...]" with no precision on it being forced on the whole unit.

To me, that means any model in the Squad can swap their Bolter out. In the case of a Per Model Swap, it means you can opt to not give them a power sword and take a 1in5 option instead. This would also mean that its not a squadwide upgrade /  weapon swap.

Wording is "[...] Each Breacher May swap their bolter for a Power Sword [...]" with no precision on it being forced on the whole unit.

To me, that means any model in the Squad can swap their Bolter out. In the case of a Per Model Swap, it means you can opt to not give them a power sword and take a 1in5 option instead. This would also mean that its not a squadwide upgrade /  weapon swap.

Thank you, Slips. That was my general interpretation, too, but it's somewhat confusing (my brain keeps inserting 'unit' after 'Breacher'. I've been contemplating several min-sized breacher squads in Land Raiders with either half-half power swords/bolters combo or 8/2 ration of power swords (or axe in case of sergeant) to special weapons. Pricey, but could be fun!

Up to you; I've tried doing something similar with 10 Phalanx Warders (cuz they're damn expensive) and it didnt work out all that well :p

...then again, they were getting shot at by Culverins....

Ouch.

I am tossing up between 2 chargers, 2 flamers, or charger & flamer for the two specials. Of course, it would be spearheaded by a Suzerain unit in a Phobos and backed up by a Stormsword.

How are you going to use them?

'cuz Chargers have way shorter range than bolters and unless you're breachers will be shooting in Rapid Fire Range constantly, not that worth it.

Flamers would work well for a more CC orientated unit; especially vs. Hordes. Though only 2 flamers aren't much deterrent to getting charged they can still give you the edge if you roll well enough.

I....haven't decided yet. I just want to run them because I like those units.

Fair enough.

I'd personally make use of the fact that they get Power Swords for +/- half the price of (almost) any other unit that can take massed Power Weapons and can be beefed up to 20 men if needed.

Makes it a pretty dangerous unit for other MEQ's especially CC focused squads with 3+ Armor since they lose their Charge Bonuses and the Breachers have a 5++ in CC if they're up against Ap3 (6++ vs shooting).

But one attack each? That is pathetic.

Dont get me wrong it's cool, but not worth it.

They still have a BP and Power Sword in this instance meaning you're 2A base, really and 3 on the charge. Boarding Shield does not remove the extra attack bonus for having a Pistol and CCW.

They still have a BP and Power Sword in this instance meaning you're 2A base, really and 3 on the charge. Boarding Shield does not remove the extra attack bonus for having a Pistol and CCW.

It does.  Page 89 LACAL, "Boarding shields however are far heavier and more cumbersome than combat shields and models equipped with them cannot claim the extra attack for being armed with an additional close combat weapon."  It's only combat shields that don't prevent you from claiming the extra attack.

It does.  Page 89 LACAL, "Boarding shields however are far heavier and more cumbersome than combat shields and models equipped with them cannot claim the extra attack for being armed with an additional close combat weapon."  It's only combat shields that don't prevent you from claiming the extra attack.

UGh @_@

Archived