Leman Russ MBT

Shes an ugly censored.gif . Not A10 ugly. Fugly Ugly, with a capital U. I originally planned to switch the tracks around but I see now where the real problem lies. The turret, or more specifically the outrageously disproportionate battle cannon, needs to go.

Any suggestions on a suitable replacement? Or any conversions at all that you found helped with the general aesthetics?

The Leman Russ line has needed an update for a while, but how far can it go toward something that looks functional without going so far away as to utterly lose its iconic image...

That's the problem as I've seen it for years... I have no solution and very little time or money to much about covering a kit blindly... I'd start by digging deep into real world historical armor from ww1 and 2 thru to the m60 Patton and t72 series and others from the intervening era.

I'm partial to the Soviet t series especially the t34, the Stalin series, the US m48 and m60 Pattons... But they are all much sleaker than the Leman Russ which is much more ww1 when tanks actually consistently had side sponsons and hull weapons...

Sadly if you want more realistic proportions for the LR, you'd have to redo every single model in 40k. The autocannon on a Predator is sized more akin to a howitzer calibre... let alone its ability to fit within GW's plastic turret.

The Russ kit doesn't need an update at all, it's quite new and more importantly has all the options available. The issue as Special mentioned is the scaling, in which case you're going to have your work cut out for you adapting all the models to be more realistic :P The FW turrets are nice but I think they're made to fit the original's turret ring so you'd need to do a bit of modification there.

Maybe the best thing would be to simply swap the barrel with a plastic tube of your preferred dimensions? Not a huge change but it should work without breaking the bank or being too much work.

Frankly, to hell with the massive, makes-zero-sense cannon.

Thankfully, FW fixed this issue years ago.... http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Astra_Militarum_Tanks/MODIFIED-RYZA-PATTERN-LEMAN-RUSS-TURRET.html smile.png

In addition to this, you could also try trimming down a Vanquisher cannon, so its the same length as a standard battle cannon but it wouldn't be as wide a barrel.

If your thinking of using bas cannon don't waste the gun. You can get 3x 10" (might be 12") lengths of piping exactly the same diameter from I think evergreen. I bought some for scratch building some artillery. Will double check the exact supplier later on (once the kids are asleep).

Or you could use a plastic pen of the right diameter, or a piece from some old toy, or just about anything else that seems like it has a suitable diameter (and length) and that you can glue.

Im attempting to convert a Russ to look more like the M4 Sherman. Im not having much luck with the google machine trying to find sherman conversions. I also dont want to use a historical mini because I want people to recognize its still a Russ.

Here’s something similar I built a long time ago:

gallery_23964_863_71704.jpg

gallery_23964_863_1036053.jpg

For a Sherman lookalike, my suggestion would be to mount a drive sprocket, idler, and two or three suspension bogies (depending on how many will fit — with 1:35 scale parts, I suspect two) to the inner side plates of a Leman Russ. Then cut the lower part off outer side plates so that only the piece that will fit above the tracks will remain, and use plastic card to space these away from the hull so their outer faces are about above the outer edge of the tracks.

I think Im heading down the route of using some historical miniature pieces like Gurth suggested. At least for the sockets and suspension. Other than heading to my local hobby shop, anyone know good retailers in the states? Or good experiences with companies that ship to the states?

Archived