I think my favorite is the sorcerer with khemri shield. Not only does it fit in perfectly because of its adornments, but combined with his other arm(s) this also gives him an interesting pose. The terminator looks awesome as well, great use of bits. But I think his collar is slightly too high, as he wouldn't be able to see the puny wolves he's crushing under his feet.

Your new conversions are coming in fast and furious right now. It looks like you're really enjoying the TS boxes. :biggrin.:

Edited by Isengrin

I think my favorite is the sorcerer with khemri shield. Not only does it fit in perfectly because of its adornments, but combined with his other arm(s) this also gives him an interesting pose. The terminator looks awesome as well, great use of bits. But I think his collar is slightly too high, as he wouldn't be able to see the puny wolves he's crushing under his feet.

Your new conversions are coming in fast and furious right now. It looks like you're really enjoying the TS boxes. :biggrin.:

Thanks! Yeah, that collar is so stupidly narrow and high. I think I'll have to cut it down or lift the helmet with some GS. 

And yes, those TS boxes are a dream come true. I just need more of them ;)

That Mace is ace! GW really knocked it out of the park with the Thousand Sons kits and you're using them perfectly.

Thanks! The positive feedback really helps :D

Very very cooll cataphracti, love how the Scarab Occult bits look on him, that mace is awesome!

Thank you! I'm so looking forward to convert the rest of them. That Cataphract will be the next thing on my painting table. Right now I started work on the bird faced sorcerer.

Birdy McBirdface is finished. I'm not to keen on the red cloth, but it adds something to the miniature and seperates him from the other sorcerers I already have. I'll try to incorporate some red cloth pieces to all of those new Aspiring Sorcerers. Hope you like him!

med_gallery_76164_9665_408749.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_352945.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_534959.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_313824.jpg

C&C is as always very welcome!

I once claimed in a comment on KrautScientists Blog that one could use the new Rubric Marines to convert them into normal CSM, like unaligned BL or whatever. To put my money where my mouth is I converted a Khornate CSM, a World Eater or Black Legion Berzerker. Those backpacks a a blast to convert, with a bit of GS skulls fit perfectly into those claws. Rest would be done via the paint job and a khorne freehand on the left vambrace. Only thing that would be hard to do is a running pose because of the overlapping keepads. But bikers should be very easy to do with them as a base. But for a slow and measured approach, those legs are perfect (well. they were sculpted with that in mind). Even a Berzerker or khornate CSM has to stop now and then and pose with a fresh and grisly trophy for the Skull Couch.

med_gallery_76164_10660_40174.jpgmed_gallery_76164_10660_534457.jpg

C&C is very welcome!

I think, while red can work as a complementary color here, the combination with yellow falls a bit flat. Maybe you could paint the tzeentch symbol white, or highlight the cloth to orange, but right now the contrast is too stark in my opinion. Other than that it's a terrific paint job, with some nice verdigris effect on the backpack (Modelmates ftw :wink:).

The paintjob on the sorcerer is great, though I would either redden a bit the hair or make the loincloth pinker, the two colours don't seem to work too well together to my taste...

About the berserker conversion it is really impressive what you've done there, I will have to take a closer look at the Rubricae kit, it looks like it is a great base for chaos conversions!

I think, while red can work as a complementary color here, the combination with yellow falls a bit flat. Maybe you could paint the tzeentch symbol white, or highlight the cloth to orange, but right now the contrast is too stark in my opinion. Other than that it's a terrific paint job, with some nice verdigris effect on the backpack (Modelmates ftw :wink:).

Yeah, I already thought about white. And yes, Modelmates is the best way to do any rust or verdigris effects, GWs stuff is just crap.

The paintjob on the sorcerer is great, though I would either redden a bit the hair or make the loincloth pinker, the two colours don't seem to work too well together to my taste...

About the berserker conversion it is really impressive what you've done there, I will have to take a closer look at the Rubricae kit, it looks like it is a great base for chaos conversions!

I actually mixed a bit of Warlock Purple into the red. I think when the Tzeentch Glyph is white it will look better. And yes, please buy the Rubricae and convert them! The more people buy them and use them the more likely it will get to get some of the other cult troops (at least that's what I hope). Also I'd be very looking forward to see what you'll make out of them. Your conversions are really great!

That sorcerer looks boss with your colour scheme and painting skills applied, as we're used to by now. :thumbsup:

And because the Khornate dude looks killer too, I'm going to let that 'Skull Couch' comment slide. :wink::tongue.:

Thank you Augs! After finishing the Corn Marine I got the urge to build a Noise Marine. The Rubricae Bodies are just perfect for that kind of conversion. You just have to get rid of some scarabs.

On it's own the red looks fine within the colour scheme however I'm finding on the model it's drawing the eye down and away from the face. Otherwise it all looks great and does depend on my screen angle how bright it appears so you may not have such a problem in real life.

The Berserker is an interesting use of the kit and I'm not sure if the composition is a 100% there yet, for a quick test model it definitely encourages investigation.

Great work keep it up.

The Scarab Occult Cataphractii terminator is done. The stupid gold trim on the cloak is such a pain in the a. to paint. It still looks very crappy. But I'm pretty happy with the rest of the SO Terminator. The dead Space Marine on the base is supposed to be a Space Wolf and there is more than just the backpack but the paint job on the base and the ash let the legs and the torso melt with the base. The pictures are a bit dark and the vallejo matt varish is way to glossy... Hope you like him anyways!

med_gallery_76164_9665_297999.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_507403.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_389029.jpg

On it's own the red looks fine within the colour scheme however I'm finding on the model it's drawing the eye down and away from the face. Otherwise it all looks great and does depend on my screen angle how bright it appears so you may not have such a problem in real life.

The Berserker is an interesting use of the kit and I'm not sure if the composition is a 100% there yet, for a quick test model it definitely encourages investigation.

Great work keep it up.

Yeah, the pic is a bit darker than the mini actually is. And the berserker will be a normal Khornate CSM, I think the paint job will make or break it. In the end that trim on the rubricae is very similar to that on the DV chosen (but way crispier and cleaner).

And thank you very much :)

I started on two more Scarab Occult. The right one is equipped with a heavy flamer and a power axe, I just wanted to try if it would work with the normal CSM terminator arms and MaxMini shoulders. I like the look of it so far. Nor I need more left cataphract arms without weapons and more kopesh swords and at least two more Rubricae or Scarab Occult tabards for the remaining terminators. I want to use them as MoT CSM terminators, too, so I will build more of those normal arms with MaxMini shoulders.

What do you think, do the fit?

med_gallery_76164_9665_352722.jpg

Very nice looking TS, well done! I do rather like the classic darker blue for 40k TS as well, I have to admit. :smile.:

Thanks! Every time I look at the new TS on the GW webstore or here on the forums it always takes a while till I realize that are indeed official Thousand Sons, not a home brew splinter group :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

After a long downtime a managed to start a new project. It is difficult to motivate myself to paint again, but there is always room for some converting.

This is just the start. I want the Contemptor in the end to look like a 40K version of the 30k Osiron Contemptor. For now I want to get the headcrest done and something for the cest. This time I have to use more GS than I like, but I guess I'm overdue learning to do basic sculpts. So far I chose one of the staff heads from the exalted Sorcerers kit instead of a scarab or one of legions symbols. I think it fits well (just blue tacked). In the end the head crest will be inspired by the old metal/resin Thousand Sons sorcerer from the upgrade kit. I just need to find a suitable helmet but nothing comes to mind.

gallery_76164_9665_25793.jpg

Thanks guys!

The bunny ears are looking great, you've been missed brother! FW heads would probably be the best option, but also very expensive... However Scarab Occult heads, which are more easy to get, should also work fine, though maybe they're a bit too small? Either way, I can't wait to see this project develop!

Not sure this helps, but from my recent work on my second plastic Contemptor, I can tell you that the heads from the old Forgeworld Chaos Dreadnoughts are pretty much perfect in size, so if you can get your hands on one of those, that would be a great solution.

Failing that, regular Marine heads (including Terminator heads) work as well, although they are a bit on the small side. I could also see warriors of chaos heads as an interesting option -- maybe something from the Varanguard models...?!

Anyway, this should be interesting! :)

I'd agree with Krautscientist, if you can source the old FW Thousand Sons dreadnought head that would be perfect. Failing that, I have a huge soft spot for the old metal Chaos dreadnought head, and think it would look great on a contemptor. Of course, it'd take some serious dremelling to separate that from the body! Still, something to think about.

Here's some minimal progress on the head crest. Unfortunately I had no time for more today. There will be some piece of trim running down the middle of the crest from the symbol.

Those stripes are 2mm high. Thanks to Augustus I now know how where to get 1mm glass beads to add some rivets. Next thing will be something on the chest. Either a scarab or somethinf else. There are some nice pieces to copy from Magnus armor.

The crest before trimming:

gallery_76164_9665_67380.jpg

After timming:

gallery_76164_9665_33925.jpg

And with tzeentch symbol:

gallery_76164_9665_27755.jpg

So much more work to do!

The bunny ears are looking great, you've been missed brother! FW heads would probably be the best option, but also very expensive... However Scarab Occult heads, which are more easy to get, should also work fine, though maybe they're a bit too small? Either way, I can't wait to see this project develop!

Thank you Traitor! I think the SO heads could look a bit lost in the plastic contemptor chest.The helmet I cut out was enormous.

The prodigal son has returned! That's a daring project, and I'll make sure to follow it every step of the way.

Thank you Isengrin. Glad you're still interested.

Not sure this helps, but from my recent work on my second plastic Contemptor, I can tell you that the heads from the old Forgeworld Chaos Dreadnoughts are pretty much perfect in size, so if you can get your hands on one of those, that would be a great solution.

Failing that, regular Marine heads (including Terminator heads) work as well, although they are a bit on the small side. I could also see warriors of chaos heads as an interesting option -- maybe something from the Varanguard models...?!

Anyway, this should be interesting! :smile.:

Unfortunately I think I'll never ever get one of those awesome FW TS Dreads. But you're right, that head would be perfect. If I only could get a mold of that helmet... At the moment I'm considering one of the 30K helmets, maybe even plastic Ahrimans helmet.

I'd agree with Krautscientist, if you can source the old FW Thousand Sons dreadnought head that would be perfect. Failing that, I have a huge soft spot for the old metal Chaos dreadnought head, and think it would look great on a contemptor. Of course, it'd take some serious dremelling to separate that from the body! Still, something to think about.

Cheers! I like the metal dread head too. With some instantmold that would be no problem at all. But unfortunately I have no access to one of those old metal dreads.

Now with the stripes it is looking better, Ahrimans head would work fine I guess, but maybe Kraut is right and you could use AoS chaos heads, some of the blood warriors ones would look great with the crest trimmed.