Half the size, double the fun - from Marines to AM

Gaweda

Greetings,

I've been a marines (Blood Angels) player for a while, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, my meta has become rather saturated with marines, so I've finally taken up a long held desire to begin an Imper...Astra Militarum army. This was going to be an allied force, but...well...I've sort of fallen for them too much for that. So, I've taken the long haul plunge and will be aiming for around 6,000 points in a couple years (you know, in case of one of those Apocalypse games) but some ebay browsing and possibly some impulse buying has lead to this to begin with:

1 Cadian Command Squad

50 Cadian Guardsmen

2 Leman Russes

2 Chimeras

3 Sentinels

1 Aegis Defence Line

Uh...I think that's it. Most of that was one lucky eBay bid, but I think it might work out as a beginner army. I'm not allowed to play unpainted models so I'm going to be busy. I'll just update this thread since I enjoy doing that, and this community seems as friendly as the BA one which is high praise. I did have some questions to begin with.

1) I'd like to use Pask, so I assume a Punisher Russ? I play versus lots of marines, but also 'nids, Necron, Tau and Eldar. Basically everything but Orks.

2) Second Russ loadout suggestions?

3) Should I make some of those guardsmen veterans?

4) For the future this one, but what should I get next? I feel like I'm lacking tanks and heavy hitters, but you guys have a veritable plethora to choose from!

Thanks!

Edit: also, busy doesn't mean fast! My hands suffer from arthritis so there are long periods when I simply can't paint. But, it'll happen!

welcome to the guard!

with the mentioned units you can definetly make a decent list. are the tanks already assembled or not? goign by your commend i'm guessing not so i would recommend magnetising it! (there's a great tutorial stickied in this forum, you MUST read it before building anything else). In case you want to field pask i'dd go for the typical plastic tank commander with with one of the cadian capped heads as that'll be cheaper, and better looking as the actual model is goofy scaled! note that you don't need to play him as pask thus you can play him as a normal tank commander too, or even normal heavy support. personally i've played with a standard tank commander more often than i have with pask.prefering to spend those points elsewhere. personally i've been rather pleased by the performance of my dual standard battle tank command squadron and it's a good alrounder. the punisher can be a hit or miss, due to the lack of range. for punisher delivery platforms i personally prefer the vulture. a good allround backup buddy is the exterminator with heavy bolter sponsons. it's relatively cheap, and can be used to kill whatever is left after the tank commander shoots. Though the roles might be switched to optimise gameplay to make use of BS4.

modelingwise there doesn't have to be a difference between veterans and normal guardsmen, so you can easely count them as both.

the first future purchase should be a codex, and some magnets. from there on, MAGNETIZE!

Pask is for weaklings. Real men put KARL FRANZ in their Punisher :D But yeah, the Pask Punisher is the jack of all trades. He can down pretty much anything from infantry, to MC, to tanks. Vanquisher is also a solid option, but is a specialized big game hunter as opposed to the generalist that the Punisher is. For me, his buddy is always an Executioner, since is makes very good use of the Preferred Enemy Warlord Trait that Pask has, preventing Gets Hot glances and whiffed wounds.

Veterans are great. They bring your special weapons. I usually run two units of 10 vets and 30 dudesmen in a blob with Yarrick. You can not rely on anything in the Platoon to deliver Plasmas or Meltas as reliably as the Vets do it.

Anyway, I just came back to Guard after I finally got enough of Marines, so we are (almost) in the same boat ;)

Welcome to the Guard ;)

Pask is a good way to go and pretty much what Immersturm and Hendrick have written...

Just to reiterate... Magnets are your friend...

Welcome to His hammer, son of Sanguinus! :D Looks like you've a great start to a Guard army there already so you're on the right path :tu: I can't really add much to what has already been said. Against those opponents I'd consider an Eradicator as it'd be pure evil. A couple of Wyverns always works well if you're interested in some artillery :)

You have plenty of Guardsman so I'd build a Vet squad if you're interested in them, they can do a lot with their three special weapons and BS4. Best mechanised as you'd expect, what build are your Sentinels? As you collection is solid already what would you like to try/use? More tanks? Heavy armour or fast? Plenty to chose from as you said ;)

Last but not least do you have a colour scheme in mind yet? We love a good WIP topic :D

Call me crazy, but I prefer to use the base tank commander in an exterminator, with plasma sponsons. I get orders and BS4, and I don't overspend and make the squadron a death star that draws so much attention it dies before it can earn it's points back.

I'm building up a Tank commander in Vanquisher with a Battle tank wingman. I'm running mechanised and therefore have limited meatshields to protect the tanks, thinking it'll keep my commander alive longer by sitting back in a corner. The Battle tank wingman is because it has the range, can hurt both vehicles and delete troops. Good mix I think.

In addition I'll have Veterans in Chimeras, Demolishers and Sentinels rushing up the board. Might get hard to fit everything if I want to send the Commander there as well.

Oh and keeping in cover is much harder when driving up the board. He's a VP after all!

1) I'd like to use Pask, so I assume a Punisher Russ? I play versus lots of marines, but also 'nids, Necron, Tau and Eldar. Basically everything but Orks.

2) Second Russ loadout suggestions?

3) Should I make some of those guardsmen veterans?

4) For the future this one, but what should I get next? I feel like I'm lacking tanks and heavy hitters, but you guys have a veritable plethora to choose from!

1- Pask will make a mess out of all of them, consider lascannon with multimelta sponsons, or 3 heavy bolters.

2- Lots of marines? Necrons? Executioner, accept no substitiutes, with plasma cannon sponsons.  It will murder everything walking, efficiently.

3-  Those two Chimeras would be would be put to good use carrying plasma and melta veterans around.

4-Wyverns.  They are amazing and cheap in points.  Consider a vendetta, they are great flyers and can transport a command squad  Finally some force multipliers, either priests or commissars for your guardsmen. 

Archived