Working with the “red plastic”

So my new Librarian just arrived. Got my hands on the Space Hulk one and I have just removed all the Blood Angles emblems because I will use him with my Black Templars (haha, jk, Imperial Fists).

Before I go ahead with the next step. Is there any difference in working with the red plastic these models come it compared to the standard gray plastic? Mostly regarding gluing with plastic glue and applying base coat.

It's exactly the same plastic. They just change the dye.

Great! That will make putting the Stormshield in place much easier!

I seem to recall it as being harder than the usual grey plastic, so harder to remove the Chapter-specific insignia than normal. Otherwise identical.

Found it fairly soft. All the little emblems are already long gone. A sharp knife and a thimble did the magic. And the bottom part of the steps the circular grinder made short work of.

Out of curiosity, what did you use the thimble for??

It's a thimble. You put it on your fingers to protect them from cuts?

Or do I have the wrong word for it?

Also, uses it because my knife I have for cutting and scraping is used for bone carving. And I have a habit of cutting towards my fingers.

Undercoat needs to be a little thicker in my experience, but otherwise the same.

Had fun turning the entire Space Hulk Terminator squad into Chaos Terminators as my very first modelling project (link in my Signature - The Quintos)

Undercoat needs to be a little thicker in my experience, but otherwise the same.

Had fun turning the entire Space Hulk Terminator squad into Chaos Terminators as my very first modelling project (link in my Signature - The Quintos)

Great work!

I usually go for one layer of white and two layers of Army Painters Yellow. Following the codex tho so this time it's going to be one white undercoat and a couple of brush painted base coats of blue.

Just waiting for some bitz I orders from another seller that includes a Terminator Storm Shield that will get some green-stufff love (putting horns on the skull to get the librarian emblem on the shield).

Then he will join my other seven Librarians that I have. Not decided if I'm going to call him as my Chief Librarian or attach him to the 1 st company.

Yeah, I collect with the fluff in mind.

im going to concur with previous statements here having messed with over two dozen of these terminators so far (yes I know that's a lot, but people sometimes ask me for help recovering their ebay....purchases...) .  the red plastic is slightly different than the normal grey.  it feels a bit harder, though maybe more dense is the right term here, I don't know.  it does take the knife rather well, but has a tendency to chip, rather than shave as you would expect.  this also can lead to difficulties with side cutters/clippers/whathaveyou.  some of the angles are a bit odd for shaving off teardrops...others, well, have a good set of small files available as these will suit you better in my experience.  scraping mold off some was fun...hope you don't have that issue (and no I don't mean mold lines...I mean mold).  I did notice the hardest thing on any of these to deal with was that odd molded bit of red for the stand...getting that free without ruining the feet was special in a few cases.  maybe just me there, maybe my ocd speaking too....I don't know

stripping them was a bit easier than I had thought it would be really.  not sure if that speaks to the original party, or to the material itself, but anyway... paint came right off, even the ones someone used testors enamels on.  that was an interesting one, but beside the point....

on the gluing side, normal plastic glues have worked fine for me.  thought the captain and the assault cannon did take a bit more time than I had anticipated when attaching grey to red, but maybe that's just me...  getting glues off on the other hand, well...it wasn't fun removing balls of superglue...melt points (?) I guess...was an experience id rather not repeat in the future.

priming had no issues with any that ive used, krylon, gw black, or army painter, all went on fine first coat...so painting didn't cause much problem either.

not sure if youre already passed these points by now, considering how some of us work once we get ideas in our heads....

in fact, the only real problem I encountered with these was green stuff adherence.  sadly mine didn't work as expected...so I had to use brown.  that worked like a charm.

maybe this was all me though...dunno if anyone else had these...issues(?) and cant really tell from the posts so far, but id expect (read: hope) not

Archived