Effective use of breachers

Wolf Lord Loki

True, but why would you not use phosphex when shooting at breachers? :P

Because of... reasons. ;)

Not everyone takes Phosphex.

Me, for example. As an Iron Warriors player just don't need it to succeed.

And it kills marines units in your Meta if everyone takes Phosphex, which is even worse then just being op.

Big units of marines where one of the main reasons I started with HH so I won't use stuff which erase them from my gaming group.

It is effective though.

True, but why would you not use phosphex when shooting at breachers? tongue.png

Because despite the popular belief, phosphex isn't the cheese with which you win every game, and therefore not everyone has the desire to buy that siege breaker and the phosphex canisters.

More often than not, in my local gaming group, rapiers are often fielded with just frag and shatter shells. And in that kind of environment, Breachers are good with their rerollable armor saves.

I understand that, definitely true. Though in this case we have someone using a sub-par unit against a unit not being used to it's max efficiency. Not that it's a bad thing! Just a thought that popped into my head.

On the topic of ultramarine breachers with power swords, I struggle to see a use for them considering how much better suzerians are. Both units pretty much fulfill the same role yet suzerians do it so much better.

They can be. They also have Implacable Advance, so they serve the same purpose as troops.  If you can't field them as troops, you're better off taking cheapo tactical squads to trigger interlocking tactics, rather than spend extra points to make an already overpriced unit worse (free bolter is better than a 10-point one-swing power weapon).

5 points, which is better, but mandatory swords, which is worse. Still, since it doesn't say they all must swap, if you're already fielding Breachers and have some extra points left over, may as well toss in a few swords. It won't impact their ranged capability to lose a few bolters, and it may be the difference in a melee engagement (although I wonder what kind of Sv3+ unit would want to charge breachers... Dark Furies and Gal Vorbak I guess?). Bonus points if you're using Logos for max fluff over crunch, they at least get to swing them twice.

On the topic of ultramarine breachers with power swords, I struggle to see a use for them considering how much better suzerians are. Both units pretty much fulfill the same role yet suzerians do it so much better.

Are Suzerains troops?

No, but they easily can be if you take Guilliman which a lot of UM players seem to do, plus in any case as Withershow pointed out you are better off taking suzerians and cheap tactical squads to fill your troop needs instead of getting an expensive breacher unit with swords. 

Archived