The Dark Knights

Founding: Second Founding (M31)

Primarch: Corvus Corax

Chapter Master: - needs to be named -

Homeworld: Yamatar

Fortress-Monastery: - needs to be named -

Known Descendants: Storm Riders (nearly extinct; most of the chapter went renegade and became the Nightmarchers)

Colours: Dark Green, Red and Brass

Speciality: Guerilla warfare, lightning attacks into striking at the weak spot, spreading anarchy

Battel Cry: In darkness we fight, from darkness we strike!

The Dark Knighte are a successor chapter of the Raven Guard legion founded in the great second Founding in M31. Their origin lies In a former nomad predation fleet under the command of Vlad and Radu Lu'Carda. They were tasked by their Primarch Corvus Corax to suppot a chapter of the Word Bearers called "The Preachers of the Truth". The "Preachers of the Truth" were about to conquer the realm of Yamatar, a mighty and powerful empire located in the outer realms of Segmentum Obscurus. Unknown to the Raven Guard, the "Preachers of the truth", who were then corrupted by the ruinous powers of the dark gods, provoked the conflict and would try to persuade them to join their cause. Should they resist, they would be extinguished and their fleet adopted by the Word Bearers...

+_+_+_+_+_+_+

unknown date, M32

Opening...

Report to Inquisitor Torkadez

Written by Veliar Kelborn

My Lord,

My name is Veliar Kelborn, one of the last Remebrancers of the great crusade. It is my self proclaimed duty to find out what happened to the 1987th expeditionary fleet in command of the Word Bearers and supported by the Raven Guard heading the realm of Yamatar. It is my assumption that the Astartes chapter called the Dark Knights may be thei descendants of the surviving Raven Guard forces. Therefore I will study the libraries of Yamatar Prime, homeworld of the Dark Knights and center of the yamatarian realm. Hopefully I even may have an audience with one of the Dark Knights aswell. I will let you know if I had found something. Maybe, just maybe my work will help to undo the distrust between them and the rest of our glory Empire.

The Emperor protects!

Yours,

Veliar Kelborn

...End of transmission.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Summary
  1. History
    1. The past of Vlad and Radu
      1. Freedom: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-la-the-dark-knights/?p=4142006
  2. Nippon Sector
    1. Realm of Yamatar http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-ia-the-dark-knights/?p=4178483
    2. Homeworld
  3. Gene-seed http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-ia-the-dark-knights/?p=4182310
  4. Culture
  5. Belief http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-ia-the-dark-knights/?p=4182317
  6. Combat doctrine http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-ia-the-dark-knights/?p=4182314
  7. Oranisation http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-la-the-dark-knights/?p=4148215
  8. Recruitment http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-la-the-dark-knights/?p=4148218
  9. Equipment http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-la-the-dark-knights/?p=4145752
  10. Notable Elements / Persons http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-la-the-dark-knights/?p=4145759
  11. Chapter Appearance http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311999-ia-the-dark-knights/?p=4175642
  12. Allies & Enemies

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Hey everybody,

this thread will feature my self made chapter, the Dark Knights. As I don't have the necessary time and money to collect and paint miniatures (although I would like to), I will concentrate on their fluff and some stories. Maybe one of you will get as inspired as I was when I read Athrawes's Lost and Forgotten thread concerning his Lighting Bearers Legion. His work is really magnificent and I hope that I may scratch this kind of awesomeness. :wink:

My first post here will be a summary of my done work. I will link the different posts here, so you don't have to read the whole thread if you don't want to.

As for now that was all. I hope you enjoy reading. Don't hesitate to give feedback as I am looking for this to enhance the fluff and my work here.

With kind regards,

Kelborn

PS:

Don't be confused. I wanted to paste my previous first post into the second but I did it wrong and now it is gone...the very first post was about different type of scenarios concerning their heritage. I had three scenarios (loyal Night Lords; Night Lords + Raven Guard; only Raven Guard). After some rethinking I decided to go full Raven Guard as it would be easier to write and explain why they are like they am right now.

Colors:

Red #9b221a

Green #434f38

Brass #97713f

Eyes #d03437

Carapax #767981

Black #202020

Bone #ffecc1

Edited by Kelborn

I would use the raven guard for the simple reason that as far as I am aware its somewhere in the B&C rules that you cannot create loyal traitors. So picking the raven guard is the safest from the rules POV. but good luck with your creations man coz they sound awesome (One final note you should move this out of FanFiction and Into Liber Astartes because Fanfiction is for stories and Liber Astartes is for custom chapters) I hope to see more updates from you.

++The Emperor Protects++

EesiOh 

Thanks, mate!

I just want to write fluff and some stories, so rules won't interest me by now as I don't collect miniatures.

Maybe in a far future far away and grim enough I will buy a contemptor dreadnought (just so sweet) as decoration. :wink:

Because of that I didn't knew if this belongs in fan fiction or in Liber Astartes.

If I have to put this in Liber Astartes, then let me please know how I can do this. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kelborn

I think it's pretty much the Moderators that have to do it.

As EesiOh says, it's generally frowned upon to have a successor of a traitor Legion or the Space Wolves. Of course, you can use elements of all your possible origin stories, even talking about Loyalist elements of the Night Lords, though your chapter would still descend from a loyalist chapter.

Nice to see a chapter inspired by the ninja side of japanese culture rather than the samurai, I can't remember having seen this kind of thing before (of course, I am by no means an expert, especially when you're talking about asian influence).

However, is their really a link to "dark knights" ? With Night Lords I'd understand it (because I'm BATMAN !!!) but the term "knight" doesn't immediately make you think about japanese culture. I can get the "dark" part, but I'd probably recommend looking for a different suffix.

Have you got a colour scheme in mind ? And a chapter badge ? Be wary to not just go for basic black, you want to find a way for your chapter to stand out visually.

Also, I'd recommend you explore the fluffy reason as to WHY they field the Yokai like this, as opposed to the accepted Codex Astartes ? It isn't enough to say "I want them to be stealthy", because after all, the Raven Guard are stealthy yet they still follow the Codex.

Robust core concept, but still some room to maneuver and create something nice and special, good luck!

God damnit!

I wrote a ten minute answer to your post....now it is gone because I was unable to link something....

Ok, here it goes again but a bit shorter:

Radu Lu'carda is a pyromant. The yamatarian culture has a prophecy concerning a dragon coming from the skies to defeat a traitorous devil. Because of his abilities he is called the dragon in the VIII legion. I don't want to spoil any stories I will write here, so I just say this: His nickname and the prophecy will give the dark knight some dragon, lizard style armor, etc. And it reminds me a bit of the Night Lords badge (skull with wings).

Speaking about names.

Vlad Lu'carda is called the Dark Knight. Why? Because he insists that the VIII Legion was made to be a "monster" to fulfill their role in the great crusade. In comparison to the nostraman Night Lords he is indeed noble, loyal und believes in the Emperor and the goals of the great crusade. His nickname is more a mocking than a serious name. But after the battle against the Word Bearers, the loyal Night Lords want to erase their connection to their traitorous brothers and so they took a mocking name as their own to reinstate themselves as a new band of brothers, loyal to the throne.

Both, Radu and Vlad were inspired by Vlad Draculea. I would like to link a Wikipedia article but last time it didn't work and now I have to reply again. -.-" Just have a look via google.

The Yokai

The Dark Knights will follow the codex but I wanted to give them something special which we haven't seen by now in the loyalists forces. I really liked the terror squads in the Isstvan trilogy, especially the story about Night Lords vs. an ork space hulk. There the terror squad spread anarchy aboard the space hulk and were always a step ahead. That's sounds badass. :wink:

While the Yokai will be more ninja-like, the main companies will be more of a samurai influenced force, favoring fast units (bikes, speeders, etc.) to distress the enemy, while the Yokai sneak behind them. And when the time comes, BOOM massive invasion (infantry, tanks, etc.) to crush their foes. This combat doctrine is more like the Raven Guards rather than the Night Lords, so I came up with scenario 2 where Raven Guard and Night Lords join forces to combine their strengths.

Of course, it is difficult to implement a loyal-traitor chapter. But everything concerning this idea can be implemented in a Raven Guard chapter. This is why I ended up in a dead end. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kelborn

Right. Don't worry, I know about vlad the impaler...

Seeing as you've got elite "scouts" and dragons, have you considered using the Space Wolves rules, replacing the wolf names with raven/bat/dragon references ? So you'd have those Big Lizards the fantasy dark elves have for your most elite riders. Of course, that might be far too cheesy...

Also, for the Yokai, you have to find a fluffy reason as to their existence. I understand that that's one of the ways you want to make your chapter stand out, but in any articles you write, you can't have them just pop out of nowhere for no good reason. It can be just a one-liner, it can be a full blown text, you just have to find a reasoning from the chapter's point of view for them to create this organization.

Also, be careful when mixing asian and romanian vampire influences, if you get the balance wrong it could skew the whole article. That's not to mean that they can't work, quite the contrary: for the moment you seem to be doing all right with it. I'm just warning you in the case that you should want to be too heavy handed on the vampire thing (or even the ninja or samurai thing :tongue.: )

Well the SW rules would fit. It could go even further by saying, some loners act as Ronins to restore their honor (just like the lone wolves). 

But drake riding Marines with Katanas....naaaaah. Although it would be awesome it would take me to a place of nonsense and insanity. (Believe me, it is quite nice but there comes the time it will be really spooky :blink.:)

The fluff reason for the Yokai would be the Terror Squads, which are already a part of the Night Lords, renamed as Yokai. Nothing more, nothing less. They were the Night Lords elite and they are really effective in their own way of fighting. It is just part of their culture and combat doctrine. As a comparison, the dark angels wouldn't give up their ravenwing. Same thing with the Yokai.

Don't worry. I don't want to creat a vampire-samurai chapter. :biggrin.:

Vlad the impaler is just an inspiration for my protagonists. There will be no blood sucking or vampire mutations. I kinda liked the Dracula Untold movie, although it is historical not correct. But the image of a man becoming a monster to do the right thing reminds me of the pre Heresy Night Lords.

Edited by Kelborn

Okay for the ronin, seems logical enough. However the fast attack aspect might need another codex.

I was thinking that we'd been talking about going mainly with Raven Guard. That doesn't mean to say that they can't keep the terror squad inspiration, just say that the Lu'carda's detachment fought alongside the Night Lords before Corax was found (after all, the Terran Raven Guard are supposed to be pretty Blood Thirsty)

Ah ok. I misunderstood you. I will think about yor thoughts. The Raven Guards Moritat squad would also fit the idea of the Yokai.

Seems Raven Guard is the way to go. :) But which scenario would you prefer? The second (night lords and raven Guard join forces) or only terran raven guard vs word bearers?

Well, scenario 2 has the most potential. It is a combination of 1 and 3 featuring loyal Night Lords (I can use my ideas how I intended to use them) and Raven Guard against Word Bearers. *cold, efficient, brutal logic + fear against fanatic and demon worship....nice*

It would give fluff background for the Yokai and an explanation why they changed their combat doctrine into a more stealth, guerilla and strike with immense force tactic. (like the pre Corax Raven Guard)

Shall I make a new thread concerning the Dark Knights in the Liber Astartes part or shall I further use this thread?

Using this thread would require a Moderator to pull it to its rightful place. That would be lovely. :thumbsup:

I say 3; go full Raven Guard, its sounds more plausible than an alliance with a friendly group of Night Lords. Once they hear of the events of Istvaan V I don’t think they will have much time for any of those legions. The Yokai could have formed during the Heresy, being hit hard by the Word bearers and, after the Drop site massacre, unable to get any reinforcements they might have had a massive change in tactics in order stay alive and keep fighting. These tactics were so successful they are still being used by the Dark Nights Yokai squads.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a little update.

Tommorrow I will post a small fluff part about the knights. Furthermore I will edit my first post here. It shall be an introduction and overview about the chapter.

The original post will be pasted in the second.

Is it possible to link certain posts in another? It would be easier than editing the introduction post as this would get bigger and bigger.

Each post has a direct link to it. You can find it by looking at the top right corner of each post for the post #. For instance, unless someone ninjas me, this will be #17. Click on it, and a pop up will appear with the direct link. Just copy and paste.

The Past of Vlad and Radu Lu'carda

Lesson No. 1: Freedom

Vlad and Radu Lu'carda were born on terra. The exact birthplace is unknown, even to them but it is suggested that they were born in the wasteland of what once called Romania. They were born in slavery, serving a local Warlord named himself "Bardock, the bloody". Bardock wanted to organized several bloody and barbarous gladiator fights as a mark of his power. Therefore he raised an gladiator academy and build a large arena called the Coliseum, named after a famous antique one he had heard of.

Vlad and Radu's father was one of the slave leaders who build the Coliseum. Their mother died while giving birth to Radu. After the Coliseum was complete, Bardock ordered that every male child of the slaves shall be thrown in his academy to feed the now rising hunger for gladiator fights. Vlad and Radu's father rebelled against this addict, grouping with several other slave leaders to save their children. The revolt was brutally smashed as Bardock used it as a field test for his highly trained Gladiator, who were formerly slaves themselves. It was Bardock himself who killed Vlad and Radu's father in front of their eyes. Both where at that time little boys at the age of 8 and 6. But their fathers death planted the seed of revenge and hate in their innocent souls. Vlad took a shard and charged at Bardock. It is obvious that he didn't reached his fathers murder. Amused by the little boy, Bardock ordered both of them to be trained in his academy. He sensed that their hate against him would be the perfect tool to reshape them into his best gladiators.

He would be right. Both of them quickly rose to the elite of the gladiators, even at the age of younglings. As a team they were even able to kill adult gladiators. Soon they were the audiences favorites and as more prestige they gained the closer they would get to Bardock.

But how could two younglings kill well trained gladiators who should kill the boys in a mere of seconds?

It was their little secret revealed to them while a training lesson. Radu was again not able to defeat his brother. This was nothing new as Vlad was older and grew into a strong, fast and quick thinking young man. But this time it seems that Vlad knew every move of his brother before Radu himself knew of them. This kind of defeat was very frustrating for a little boy until his anger became so strong that small flames erupted from his hand. In a wave of rage Radu threw small fireballs at his brother. Distracted by his brothers fury, Vlad was not able to foresee his movements and was burned by him.

Immediately Radu stopped and the fire was gone. It was this moment when both of them realized that they were special and no one besides themselves knew about it. On this day they made a pact: to use their newfound powers to kill every gladiator until they would be found worthy to sit at Bardock's side. They choose to hide Radu's power to use it as a trump card against Bardock. When he is dead nothing could stop them and they at last will be free for the first time in their life's.

Some years later the time has come. Both of them were the absolute champions. Younglings covered in blood of their slain foes. It was the time to receive an audience in Bardock's throne room. A long time ago he had promised that if a gladiator would life long enough to obtain the status of champion he would set him free.

But Bardock had never thought to keep his promise. Every time a gladiator was close to be the absolute champion of the Coliseum, Bardock poisoned them or manipulated their last fight to keep the games interesting enough.

Now before him in the sand stood two little boys. Alive. Gaining the status of the crowds favorite. Everything he had done to prevent this had failed as if they had known about it. The crowd cheered. The boys watched Bardock with hate in their eyes. He could see their lust for vengeance. Bardock did the only thing he could do without losing the status quo. He released every gladiator capable of fighting with the promise if they would be able to kill the boys, they would gain their freedom. He sold it as a last and final test. The gates opened, the bloodthirsty gladiators charged at the boys. Both were quiet, looking in the many faces of their coming deaths. Vlad said only two words to his little brother: "Do it."

What happened next is completely unknown. All we know by now is that the great Coliseum is now a huge burned ruin. Hundreds of all burned corpses lying in the pit as well as in the audience remain as silent witnesses of what happened there. Bardock's disemboweled body was found atop the Coliseum impaled on his flagpole.

Vlad and Radu Lu'Carda were never be seen again. Rumors claim that after burning the Coliseum and killing their arch enemy they were found by an officer of the Legio Astartes and were recruited to one of the Emperors mighty legions. At long last they seemed to be free.

Edited by Kelborn

Equipment

Armour

The Chapter makes wide use of the "beaked" and older marks of Power Armour (Mk. IV-VI). After the conflict in the Nippon-Subsector and their official acceptance by the Empire, they received additional Mk. VI to enhance their armory. At that time, the Mark VI, designed as Corvus suit, was the newest and most advanced version. Because this mark of Power Armour carries name of primarch Corax it is natural that the Dark Knights feel bond to this mark of armour. The Dark Knight's forge ship and the planet ... together have the production capacity of a small forge world, ensuring that the Dark Knights rarely lacks for the material to prosecute its campaigns.Like the Raven Guard's Power Armour their own utilises enhanced cooling systems that which helps to blend in better with the background. By this mean Dark Knight's warriors are hard to be detected by thermal or infrared devices.

Vehicles

The Dark Knight chapter makes use of an array of unique vehicles tailored to the Chapter's specialization in stealth assault. Furthermore they possessed and utilize the full range of engines of war. They prefer mobility over static warfare. They even can utilize and maintain some tanks of the great crusade like the Spartanischen Assault Tank or the Fellblade Super-Heavy Tank. Rumor has it that aboard their forge ship they have the capability to not only maintain but even to reproduce some of the older tanks. If this is true the whole Mechanicum would want to have this particular ship as soon as possible.

Fleet

During the Horus Heresy, the Raven Guard's fleet was equipped with special stealth technology: a ship's void shields could be modified so that they provided only minimal protection, but at the benefit of making the vessel nearly undetectable either visually or by sensors. It took only a few minutes for this adjustment to be made. Furthermore it took several minutes to switch back to defence mode. Some of the oldest ships in the Dark Knights fleet are still capable of cloaking like their old flagship, the Shadow of Liberty.

As a former nomad predation fleet it is still able to produce the necessary equipment for the chapter. Therefore their forge ship, the Metheus, allways stays in a geothermal orbit above their fortress monastry on ...

Because of their forge ship, which is commanded by their Master of the forge, the Dark Knights are capable of reproducing some engines and equipment which dates back to the great crusade. For example the specialized Thunderhawk, the Shadowhawk, is a common sight in their fleet. This leads to a tensed relation towards the Mechanicum as they are not willing to share their secrets.

Relics and Artefacts

• Ashbringer, master crafted power sword; This unique sword was forged by the lord magi Hevritas Mourn of the hive world Culandis  threatened by a large Ork Freebooter-fleet. Besides its normal abilities as a power sword it also can generate fire to cover its blade. Not only will every foe be cut to shreds, they will also be burned to ashes. Disappeared on the same day Radu did.

• Dragon's Claws, master crafted lightning claws with integrated hand flamer; Those former Raven's Talons were nearly destroyed in a battle against an Ork warleader. After their victory, the high magus Hevritas Mourn wanted to thank their saviors, the Dust Devil chapter which is commanded by the Lu'Carda brothers for not only rescuing the important forges and facilities, but for the million civilian and workers they saved. Therefore he reforged the broken Talons and integrated hand flamers to support Radu's nickname, the Dragon. Since then they were worn by every chapter master following him.

• Dragon's hide, an Artificer armor; Formerly utilized by Radu Lu'Carda. Now it is worn by every chapter master since Radu disappeared. 

• The Gorefist, master crafted chainfist; This is the remnant of Krom Gorefist's armor and weaponry after charging in a group of possessed Word Bearers fighting aboard the chapter's flagship, the Shadow of Liberty.

• The Dragon's Eyes, a pair of Volkite Serpenta pistols; Those are two of three remaining Volkite weapons in the chapter's armory. The third weapon, a Volkite Charger is in the hands of the chapter's Masters of the Forge. For centuries, they analyzed and studied this weapon, hoping to reproduce it. It seems that it won't take any longer until the first usable weaponry will be constructed aboard the Metheus.

•  
  •  
Edited by Kelborn

Noted Elements of the Dark Knights

Chapter Fleet

• Shadow of Liberty (Battle Barge) - Flagship of the chapter
  • Metheus (Forge Ship, Titan-class) - Forge ship of the Mechanicum, in former costudy of the XIX Legion, now fix part of the Dark Knight fleet
  • The Dark Claw (Strike-cruiser)
  • Eternal Hunter (Strike-cruiser)
  • Tyrant's Doom (Vanguard-cruiser)
  • Gigantes (Destroyer, Hunter-class)
  • Striker (Frigate, Gladius-class)
  • Savior (Frigate, Gladius-class)
  • Redeemer (Frigate, Gladius-class)
  •  

Notable Members Pre-Heresy Era

• Corvus Corax - Primarch of the Raven Guard
  • Vlad Lu'Carda - Shadow Lord of the Dust Devil chapter and their first company, known as the Dark Knight
  • Radu Lu'Carda - Captain of the second company, Dust Devil chapter, known as the Dragon
  • Krom Gorefist - 1st Lieutenant of the first company
  • Merrin Deadeye - Captain of the third company, Dust Devil chapter
  • Kamax Randuin - Captain of the fourth company, Dust Devil chapter
  • Foras Henricos - Champion of the Dust Devil Chapter
  • Rend Meitas - Grand Apothecarius of the Dust Devil Chapter
  • Darax Stormcrow - former Librarian assigned to the chapter, after the council of Nikaea serves as battle brother in the second company
  • Varian Altherac - former legionnaire of the 8th company, Night Lords, also known as the Betrayer
  •  

Post-Heresy

• Chapter Master
  • The Dragon, legendary figure who disappeared right after the founding of the chapter
  • place
  • holder
  • for
  • more
  • persons
  • Hanzo Muyashi, Daimyo of the 10th company, master of the Yokai
  •  

Battlecry

The Dark Knights favorise Guerilla tactics and surgical strikes behind enemy lines to  weaken their foes and to spread anarchy between them. Therefore while operating in the shadows they don't have ay battlecry. They do use "In darkness we fight. From darkness we strike." as a ...

While charging to crush the enemy lines by striking at their weak point, they indeed use the battlecry "For Yamatar and the Emperor!"

In darkness wie fight. From darkness wie strike.

+++ Dark Knights adage +++

Edited by Kelborn

Hey guys,

a little update. I had some problems concerning my laptop but luckily I had a copie on my tablet.

Unfortunately I'm not so far as I wanted to be but I will post every finished peace of fluff.

Today I'm posting some fluff concerning the Dark Knights armory, fleet, artifacts and dramatis personae.

Next update will feature their recruitment and maybe the chapter organization.

Everything is still in progress as you can see the dramatis personae need still some work. But I'm working on it. ;)

Stay tuned and as usual: Don't hesitate to give your feedback.

Kind regards,

Kelborn

Organisation

During the Great Crusade the Raven Guard Legion followed the basic organisational doctrine. The Legion was divided into chapters, chapters were divided into battalions, battalions into companies, and companies into squads. However companies were preferred for most independent operations. Legion officers devolved command responsibility to sub-commanders, allowing them to make tactical decisions and to seek the initiative without interfering with the command chain. The Raven Guards chapter called the Dust Devil is a good example of this doctrine. Led by the Lu'Carda Brothers the chapter was many times separated from the bulk of the Legion under Shadowlord Arkhas Fall and later under their primarch Corvus Corax.

The Dust Devils were devided in four companies each nearly 1000 brothers strong, the first being their veterans,  the second and third being their combat companies. The fourth company was made of their Guerilla and stealth specialist, seeker squads, etc. making the fourth the smallest company.

After the Nippon crusade and later the heresy, the Raven Guards legion was devided in several autonomous chapter's like the Raptors or the Knights of the Raven. Corax ordered the remaining Dust Devils, numbering about 1000 Astartes, to Guardian the Nippon Sub-Sector. He told them that he wanted to have a successor chapter in every Segmentum to watch over the young Imperium his father nearly gave his life.

After being establised as the Dark Knight chapter, the former Dust Devils followed the Codex Astartes created by Guilliman. Therefore the chapter consists officialy of 9 companies nach numbering 100 brothers. Despite this, there are some unique traits which different from the normal organization, caused by the influence of the yamatarian culture:

Their Chapter Master was called Shogun, whole their Captains were named Daimyo. A battle brother was called Samurai brother and librarians renamed themselves Yamabuchi. Jonin was the name for their squad Sergeants. Techmarines had the short Form of Teknin and machine spirits were now known as Kami.

Besides those little changes, there were some huge differences in their chapter organization. The chapter lacks the typical Apothecari. Their duty was combined with their Chaplains, creating the Sohei who watcher over their physical and spiritual wealth.

Their company organisation differs greatly from a normal codex chapter. Instead of four reserve companies, the Dark Knights only makes use of three, one for each squad type. The 9th company is their Scout company. While nine companies (eight companies based on the great yamatarian clans and one scout company) are officially recognized by the Imperium there exists a secret 10th company. The chapter’s unique Yokai squads are organised as a unofficial 10th company. These troops are one of the many secrets hidden inside the walls of their fortress monastry.

After the Nippon crusade and the treachery of Horus neither Raven Guard nor Dust Devil chapter had ressources to equip themselves with the newiest technology. Therefore the Dark Knights mostly use older versions of Astartes armour, most notably the MK VI "Corvus" pattern. Furthermore most of their ancient dreadnaughts are incubated in Contemptor chassises rather then the modern patterns.

Their right shoulder pad bears the sign of the specific type of Space Marine. Furthermore they paint their squad number in the middle of the type symbol. The chapter badge is pictured on the left shoulder pad while the company number is worn on the left kneepad.

The Yokai

During the Nippon campaign, the loyal Dust Devil chapter was betrayed by their former allies, the Preachers of the Truth and their countless auxiliary forces. Outnumbered, they had to reorganize themselves before facing such a strong foe. Therefore Radu LuCarda and his captains decided to form a new kind of squad who would operate beyond enemy lines and had to deal with the mortal regiments, the Yokai were born.

Named after an ancient yamatarian tale advocated by their new ally, Takeshi Kitano, they would distract the enemy while the rest of the chapter would strike at the weak points of the enemys lines The members of the Yokai were ordinary battle-brothers who were trained in the combat doctrines of the VIII legion by Varian Altherac. The marines were selected for their abilities in stealth missions. Radu LuCarda and his trusted advisors were the only marines in the legion that knew of the group at the time of the Horus Heresy.

The Yokai acted as an elite stealth team and saboteurs and communicated through Stalk-Argot while working in concert with the rest of the legion. The Yokai performed flanking maneuvers and sabotaged columns of cults following the traitorous Preachers of the Truth. Furthermore they utilized the infamous terror tactics which were perfected by the 8th legion. Varian Altherac, a former member of the Night Lords, taught them everything he knew of how to spread anarchy in the enemy’s ranks. This was very effective against the mortal servants of the Word Bearers as they werent prepared for what they hit.

Even these days they hunt the enemy behind his own lines, spreading anarchy and using terror tactics to demoralize them while Scouts sabotage their supply lines, etc. Until now the Yokai are completely unknown to the wider Imperium.

As they fight on their own beyond enemy lines, they must be prepared for multiple situations and events that could occur. Therefore they carried many weapons and tools that allowed them to react immediately.The Yokai would also be careful to remain unseen and undetected, wearing dark coloured power armour.

To enhance their menacing appearance and their reputation as monsters they paint their faceplates bonewhite.

Edited by Kelborn

Recruitment

At the age of 3, every boy born on Yamatar is send to one of the nearby pre-academy trials. At first, their reactions and their interlect are tested. Should they pass, they will be assigned to one of the right clan-academies. Should they fail, they return to their families but they will not have a second chance to join the yamatarian military. Theirs is a future of a scientist, a tooler or one of many honorable civilian paths.

Those who are accepted will undergo a hard and painfull training of  ignoring pain, drilling their bodies und gaining a full conscious of their abilities. In time, the many different arts of the yamatarian culture, like drawing or poetry, will be taught as well.

One of their first trials is to stay on a graveyard or in one of the nearby forests for one night. This trial shall teach them how to control their fears. A soldier may have fear but fear shall not control him in the heat of a battle.

At the age of seven the students are taught how to use the yamatarian, traditionell weapons like bow, Naginata or the famous Katana sword. Furthermore they learn the art of Jiu Jitsu, an antique but still effektive martial arts form.

Through the years the students are observed by Sergeants of the Dark Knights 9th company. They are looking for new aspirants for their own ranks.

Reaching the age of  10 the students will be officially tested in front of the responsible chapter's Sergeant, often called sensei. If a student is found worthy, he will join the sensei and travel to the Dark Knights fortress monastry. Those who stay behind will finish their training and join the Astra Imperialis, also called Ashigaru.

Inside their fortress monastry the younglings will be assigned in neophyte squads to continue their training. Senseis as well as members of the Sohei and Yamabuchi will test and observe them. Furthermore the first necessary organs will be implemented.

Constant tests and trials will garantue a strong bond between the neophytes. Through many operations and constant drill their bodies begin to change. Therefore the senseis teach them everything they need to know about combat, strategy and history of their new brotherhood. Besides this they continue their study of the yamatarian arts. The Dark Knights want to keep a strong relationship to the yamatarian people and therefore the neophytes are encouraged to visit the clans and join their community.

After some years they join their brothers and serve in the 9th company. As scout and reconaissance Teams they get to know the brutal life of war and shed their first blood. As an important part in their chapter's combat doctrine, they will fight beyond enemy lines, guided by a veteran. Guerilla warfare, assassinations, destroying enemy support lines and scouting are just some of their important duties as new members of the chapter.

At long last they will received their last Organs and in a holy ceremony, called Gempuku, they also gain there armour, sword and bolter. Now they will join their brothers in one of the battle or reserve companies. Some of them will maybe join the mysterious Yokai brotherhood. Only time will tell.

Edited by Kelborn

Hey guys,

this time I uploaded the chapter's organization and recruitment.

Hope you enjoy it.

Next update:

- The realm of Yamatar (chapter's homeworld + culture)

- maybe: combat doctrine

I am looking forward to see some feedback. Especially concerning my updated dramatis personae. No big deal, just one person but he will have a huge impact on their story.

With kind regards,

Kelborn :smile.:

Edited by Kelborn

Hey guys,

this time I uploaded the chapter's organization and recruitment.

Hope you enjoy it.

Next update:

- The realm of Yamatar (chapter's homeworld + culture)

- maybe: combat doctrine

I am looking forward to see some feedback. Especially concerning my updated dramatis personae. No big deal, just one person but he will have a huge impact on their story.

With kind regards,

Kelborn :smile.:

I'm really loving everything you do man, so happy to see you rise from your small beginning to this. On a side note what segmentum are your chapter located in?