IL XIV - The Dune Serpents (thread 1)

Big Bad Squig

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=B87B7B&bpj=9E7272&bp=B87B7B&bpc=B58181&hdt=D4B550&hdm=D6BA4B&hdl=D6BA4B&ey=36D10F&er=FFFFFF&pi=ADA1A1&nk=B58484&ch=B87B7B&eg=EBB860&sk=EBB860&abs=B58484&bt=000000&cod=B87B7B&ull=B87B7B&lk=D6BA4B&lll=B87B7B&lft=B87B7B&url=B87B7B&rk=B87B7B&lrl=B87B7B&rft=B87B7B&slt=B87B7B&sli=D6BA4B&srt=B87B7B&sri=D6BA4B&ula=B87B7B&lel=B87B7B&lla=B87B7B&lw=B87B7B&lh=B87B7B&ura=A37272&rel=A17272&rla=B87B7B&rw=B87B7B&rh=B87B7B&bg=FFFFFF&rb=8C8787&gr=9E9393&wg=true&mk6=true&comi=FFFFFF&mk6kn=true&blt=9C9191&spl1=533B1C&spr1=533B1C&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C&/spacemarine.jpg

Everyone, meet the Dune Serpents.  Dune Serpents, this is everybody.  I'm sure at least some of you know me from the previous thread; this thread is the home of the finalized version of the eleventh legion that you saw there.  For all the newcomers, here are some introductory rules:

Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents):

Cover and going to ground grant an additional +1 cover save (e.g. Ruins are 3+, going to ground is 5+, open ground is still no save). This does not affect Stealth or Shrouded.

When units have at least one model within 3” of their target, all models in the unit gain Twin-Linked.

Rite Of War:  Fury of the Ghosts

Effects:

·         Roll a D6 for each non-vehicle unit before the game. On a 6 (5+ for Troops), they gain Infiltrate, Outflank and Deep Strike, but must enter play using one of those methods.

·          +1 to Seize the Initiative rolls

Limitations:

·         May not have more than 50% of points invested in vehicles and Superheavies

·         May not include any vehicle squadrons of more than one model.

·         All models that have frag and krak grenades must replace them with smoke grenades for no extra cost

Azus Bahmut – 430 pts

Primarch of the Eleventh, Ghost of the Sands, The Mad King

WS: 7   BS: 7   S: 7   T: 6   W: 6   I: 7   A: 5   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

·         1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

·         Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

·         Armour of the Sands

·         Devil’s Vengeance

·         Anarchy

·         Frag, krak and smoke grenades

Special Rules:

·         Primarch

·         Sire of the Dune Serpents

·         Ghost of the Sands

·         Very Bulky

Warlord Trait:

·         Night Attacker

Armour of the Sands:  2+ armour save, 4+ armour, Phantom Plate

Phantom Plate:  Azus still may take cover saves with the Ignores Cover special rule, and gains a 3+ invulnerable save against shooting weapons.

Devil’s Vengeance:  RNG: 36  S: 6   AP: 3   Assault 3   Deflagrate, Pinning, Rending

Anarchy:  RNG: -   S: +1   AP: 2   Melee, Instant Death, Master-crafted, Duellist’s Edge  

Sire of the Dune Serpents:  Azus and his unit gain Stealth and Deep Strike, and may charge on the turn they enter play if they do not scatter.  All friendly models with the Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents) special rule gain Stealth if they are within 12 inches of Azus.

Ghost of the Sands:  Once per game, at the end of the friendly turn, Azus may use this ability. This means that no enemy models may draw line of sight to him, and all enemy units within 12 inches that could draw line of sight to Azus must take a morale check as if they had just lost a combat.  This ability lasts until the beginning of the next friendly turn.

Edited by Lord Thørn

And some introductory background:

Primarch:  Azus Bahmut

Legion:  XI

Homeworld:  Dhu'l Hasa

Favoured Tactics:  Preliminary strikes, 'natural' stealth (i.e. without using the like of cameleoline), sabotaging of supplies, food and water, ranged warfare

History: The gestation pod in which the infant Azus travelled landed in the middle of a desert, controlled by groups of warring tribes.  Soon he was found by one, and claimed as their prized fighter.  He gained repute amongst the tribe for his size, strength and intellect.  However, Azus felt constrained.  He was no leader, he was simply a brute goaded into battle.  So he escaped.  He hid himself away in the deserts for many, many days, evading search party after search party, until one day, he encountered a party larger than any other.  The tribes had been united with the mission of finding this elusive miracle, and bending him to their will.  Slowly, Azus began to pick off tribal leaders using the art of stealth he had taught himself in the desert, until the sound of the power vacuum was almost audible.  At this moment, Azus stepped from the shadows.  The tribes adopted him as their leader, learning from him the arts of stealth and warfare.  Then the Emperor came.

Edited by Big Bad Squig

The most important piece of fluff for these two Legions:  The death of the Dreamer.  Consider this a flashforward... the rest of the story will be revealed in due course...

Atop the mountain, they continued to talk, the wind blasting away words here and there as the storm continued to rage.

“Do you see, Leman?  Do you understand why this cannot continue?”

“Understand is a little far, brother.  But I will call off the wolves.  Speak to our father; he will see that sending an army to your front door is not the solution.”

Azus announced his presence with a cough, hand hovering over his rifle.  The other two stopped talking, Koschei rising to his feet.  Azus flicked the rifle from its holster.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Leman scoffed.

“You don’t seem yourself,” Koschei said, retreating towards the edge of the mountaintop platform.  Azus cocked the rifle, baring his teeth.

“We needn’t fight any more, brother.  It’s over.”  Koschei opened his arms.  “Put the gun down.”

The sky darkened.  Cracks of lightning lit up the skies as the winds swept over the surface of the world. 

Azus lowered the rifle, the storm ceased for a moment, and he fell into Koschei’s embrace.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” he said, stopping as the winds began to swirl again.  They flew closer and closer to the Primarch, diving past his face, and whispering to him inaudibly.  Koschei’s knife glinted in the light.  The winds started to press themselves up against him, their voices growing in volume.  Azus’ grip tightened.  He could hear them now, screaming.  The sound was all around him, the sound of a hundred thousand voices screeching ‘BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!  BETRAYER!’.  Azus’s left hand reached down.  He felt his vision blurring and he suddenly became burning hot.  The voices were louder now, the loudest – he realised – was his own, gargling and howling ‘BETRAYER!’ into the wind and rain.

“BETRAYER!”

He clutched the knife.

“BETRAYER!”

He plunged it Koschei’s back.

“BETRAYER!”

And with one swift movement, he planted his foot on the Primarch’s chest, and kicked him over the edge.  Koschei only had time to ask ‘Brother?’ before he teetered over and tumbled through a layer of cloud.

Disengaging his narthecium, a space marine dressed in apothecary colours looked to the sound of screaming coming from above him.  He sidestepped, dodging the falling, bloodied mass of grey and gold.  The great Koschei Kharkovic himself, he thought, So glad to finally meet you.  It would seem things were going to plan.

Jon Lawrence – 195 pts

The Terran, Primarchson, The Screaming Oracle

WS: 5   BS: 6   S: 4   T: 4   W: 3   I: 5   A: 3   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

·         1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

Wargear:

·         Artificer armour

·         Archaeotech pistol

·         Plasma, krak, rad and smoke grenades

·         1 phosphex bomb

·         Power sword

·         Jump Pack

Special Rules:

·         Independent Character

·         Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents)

·         Master of the Legion

·         Scout

·         Chain Fire

·         Shrouded

·         Bullseye

Warlord Trait:

·         Target Priority

Bullseye:  Unless using Chain Fire, Jon may shoot with two weapons in the Shooting Phase, and gains the Precision Shot rule.  However, when using Chain Fire, the archaeotech pistol’s Master Crafted rule can only be used to re-roll one dice.

Legion-specific Wargear

Smoke grenades:
During the shooting phase, instead of firing one of its weapons, a model may use a smoke grenade. Place a small blast marker anywhere within 8" of the firer. It then scatters 2D6 inches minus the firer's ballistic skill. Alternatively, the marker can be placed directly over the firer. It does not scatter if dropped in this manner. Either way, anything within or being targeted through the blast marker gain a 5+ cover save. The marker is treated as difficult terrain for movement and charging purposes. These effects cease at the start of the next friendly shooting phase.

Djinn Stealth Squad – 125 pts

Djinn WS: 4   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 1   Ld: 8   Sv: 3+

Ifrit    WS: 4   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 1   Ld: 9   Sv: 3+

Unit Composition:

·         4 Djinn

·         1 Ifrit

Unit Type:

·         Djinn – Infantry

·         Ifrit – Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

·         Power armour

·         Bolter (Kraken shells)

·         Frag, krak, smoke grenades

Special Rules:

·         Scout

·         Stealth

·         Acute Senses

·         Become the Shadows

Options:

·         The Djinn Stealth Squad may take:

o   Up to ten additional Djinn …… 20 pts per model

·         For every three models in the squad, one Djinn may exchange their bolter for one of the following:

o   Volkite charger ……………………………. Free

o   Volkite caliver ……………………………… 5 pts

o   Plasma gun …………………………………. 10 pts

o   Rotor cannon ……………………………… 10 pts

·         The Ifrit may exchange their bolter for one of the following:

o   Volkite charger …………………………... Free

o   Plasma gun …………………………………. 10 pts

o   Volkite serpenta & chainsword …… Free

o   Volkite serpenta & power sword … 15 pts

o   Plasma pistol & chainsword ………… Free

o   Plasma pistol & power sword ……… 15 pts

·         The Ifrit may upgrade to artificer armour … 10 pts

Become the Shadows:  Djinn Stealth Squads gain a +2 modifier to the dice roll when rolling to determine deployment bonuses as per Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents).

And for an idea of what a Djinn would look like:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/demarcs/914f06b4-e97c-43af-9da9-defea4d8f971_zpsgxpg8kcz.jpg

C&C Appreciated

Edited by Big Bad Squig

Djinn painted, not too pleased with how he came out.  It is partially the camera, so I shall now go and chant psalms of praise to it and try to retake the photos.  I'll probably also touch up some parts of both of these models.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/demarcs/S1340006_zpsrfgfilgd.jpg?t=1438934564

Along with a certain Primus Medicae...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/demarcs/S1340005_zpszuwwuzmd.jpg?t=1438934682

Marid Karkadann – 170 pts

The Poisoner, Hell’s Architect

WS: 5   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 3   I: 5   A: 4   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

·         1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

Wargear:

·         Artificer armour

·         Refractor field

·         Frag, krak and smoke grenades

·         Needle pistol

·         Narthecium

·         Scalpel

Special Rules:

·         Independent Character

·         Master of the Legion

·         Infiltrate

·         Master of Medicine

·         Sacred Trust

Warlord Trait:

·         Poison the Waters

Scalpel:  RNG: -   S: User   AP: 2   Melee, Murderous Strike, Duellist’s Edge 

Master of Medicine:  Marid counts as having the Eternal Warrior special rule when determining whether he may take Feel No Pain rolls

Poison the Waters:  If Marid is the Warlord, nominate D6 enemy characters.  Each must pass a strength test or take as many wounds as points by which the test was failed, with no saves of any kind allowed.

C&C Appreciated

hm.. That scalpel should be AP3 and rending.. it would be a bit more balanced like that

Hmm...  what would you say to him being bumped up, say 10-20 points and keeping that profile, as he is designed to be the Legion's primary duellist apart from the Primarch Azus himself, who isn't the best fighter of the Primarch anyways.  On another note, I have 'borrowed' the idea of Primarch duels from simison and Raktra.  These will be appearing on both threads in the near future.

EDIT:  After testing Karkadann out against Loken (without the warlord trait) and being pummeled 5 times in a row with no more than one wound inflicted in return, I'm thinking very little points change, if any at all.

Edited by Big Bad Squig

• 3 weeks later...

Just cooked this up for the Dune Serpents (looking at a Land Speeder and the DE Venom for ideas)

Constrictor-Pattern Land Speeder – 50 pts

Constrictor-Pattern Land Speeder  BS: 4   Front: 10   Side: 10   Rear: 10  HP: 2

Unit Composition:

·         1 Constrictor-Pattern Land Speeder

Unit Type:

·         Constrictor-Pattern Land Speeder – Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast, Open-topped)

Wargear:

·         Rotor Gun

Special Rules:

·         Stealth

·         Deep Strike

Options:

·         The Boa-Pattern Land Speeder may replace its rotor gun with one of the following:

o   Heavy Bolter ……. 5 pts

o   Heavy Flamer …… 5 pts

o   Multi-melta ……… 10 pts

·         The Boa-Pattern Land Speeder may take one of the following additional upgrades:

o   Rotor Gun ……….. 10 pts

o   Heavy Bolter ……. 15 pts

o   Heavy Flamer …… 15 pts

o   Transport Bay …... 15 pts

Transport Bay:  The vehicle gains a transport capacity of five models

Edited by Big Bad Squig

Small correction that I didnt notice in the other thread:

Wargear only lists the Rotor Cannon as its only gun, meaning it has no Heavy bolter to swap for in the Upgrades section :p and may-or-may-not be a small wording error since it lets you swap a HB for a HB at +5pts

Also consider giving it 1-2 defensive upgrades for rather cheap, maybe like the Eldar Holofield?

Edited by Slipstreams

Small correction that I didnt notice in the other thread:

Wargear only lists the Rotor Cannon as its only gun, meaning it has no Heavy bolter to swap for in the Upgrades section http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png and may-or-may-not be a small wording error since it lets you swap a HB for a HB at +5pts

Also consider giving it 1-2 defensive upgrades for rather cheap, maybe like the Eldar Holofield?

Whoops!

Also, it already has a 3+ jink because of stealth, which I know from my DE makes them very survivable.  I'll mull over it.

Some more madcap creations:

The Twins – 110 pts

The Brothers Two, Duneriders, Serpents From on High

Uzza          WS: 4   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 5   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 2+

Al’Manat  WS: 5   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 5   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

·         Uzza (Unique)

·         Al’Manat (Unique)

Unit Type:

·         Uzza – Jetbike (Character)

·         Al’Manat – Jetbike (Character)

Wargear (Uzza):

·         Power armour

·         Space Marine Jetbike

·         Bolt Pistol

·         Chainsword

·         Serpent’s Blood

Special Rules (Uzza):

·         Stealth

·         Deep Strike

·         Brotherly Love

·         Strike From Above

Wargear (Al’Manat):

·         Power armour

·         Space Marine Jetbike with Heavy Bolter

·         Bolt Pistol

·         Serpent’s Bite

Special Rules (Al’Manat):

·         Stealth

·         Deep Strike

·         Brotherly Love

·         Strike From Above

Serpent’s Blood:  RNG: 36   S: 5   AP: 3   Heavy 3  

Serpent’s Bite:  RNG: -   S: +2   AP: 4   Melee, Concussion, Rending

Brotherly Love:  Any wounds made against Uzza may automatically be transferred onto Al’Manat, and any wounds made against Al’Manat may automatically be transferred onto Uzza, as if a Look Out, Sir! roll had been made.  Additionaly, when issuing or accepting challenges, both brothers can and must fight.

Strike From Above:   The Twins may join units of Legion Jetbikes as if they had the Independent Character special rule.

Also, I repainted the two Dune Serpent models; I'll put pictures up over the weekend when I remember!

Edited by Big Bad Squig

Couple of things. Firstly, both the twins should have a 2+ save from being on a jetbike. Secondly their bonuses should probably add up to more than +20 points over 2 bikes, given that they have +1 BS, A, Stealth and special weapons over a regular pair of bikes. I'd probably put them in the ~110 point range, with what they have.

One other suggestion. Perhaps make Al’Manat WS5 instead of BS5. That way the two would be diametrically opposed twins in capability as well as equipment.

p90 of the LA:CAL red book. They got improved to give a 2+ with the first errata, because they were just too expensive otherwise.

Also I understand the expense thing, but in effect they are Jetbike sergeants with additional stats and kit. So they shouldn't cost less than the equivalent sergeants without the extra special rules.

Edited by Grifftofer

I've made a few changes, but seeing as they only have one wound I didn't want them too be too costly.  Also, where does it say that jetbikes give a 2+ save?

LA:CAL Changed the Jetbike save from a 3+ to a 2+

Widowmaker Squad – 125 pts

Widowmaker Marine       WS: 4   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 1   Ld: 8   Sv: 3+

Widowmaker Seargeant  WS: 4   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 3+

Unit Composition:

·         4 Midowmaker Marines

·         1 Widowmaker Sergeant

Unit Type:

·         Widowmaker Marine – Infantry

·         Widowmaker Sergeant – Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

·         Power armour

·         Rattler Rifle

·         Frag, krak, smoke grenades

·         Combat blade

Special Rules:

·         Precision Shot

Options:

·         The Widowmaker Squad may take:

o   Up to ten additional Widowmaker Marines …… 20 pts per model

·         For every five models in the squad, one Widowmaker Marine may upgrade their rattler rifle to have to one of the following:

o   Nerveshock rounds ………………………………………. 15 pts

o   Bloodboiler rounds ………………………………………. 10 pts

·         The Widowmaker Sergeant may exchange upgrade their rattler rifle to have one of the following:

o   Nerveshock rounds ………………………………………. 15 pts

o   Bloodboiler rounds ………………………………………. 10 pts

·         The Widowmaker Sergeant may replace their combat blade with one of the following:

o   Power weapon …………………………………………….. 10 pts

o   Charnabal sabre …………………………………………… 10 pts

·         The Widowmaker Sergeant may upgrade to artificer armour … 10 pts

Rattler Rifle:  RNG: 36   S: 1   AP: 4   Salvo 1/2   Poisoned (4+), Rending

Nerveshock rounds:  RNG: 36   S: 1   AP: -   Heavy 1   Fleshbane, Pinning, Strikedown, Blast

Bloodboiler rounds:  RNG: 30   S: 1   AP: 3   Salvo 1/2   Poisoned (4+), Rending, Deflagrate

Suggestions anyone?

I'm back!  I was having problems with photobucket, so I've moved to hosting on dakkadakka.  As a result, the images are much larger than usual, so I've spoilered them.  Below we have the (slightly) repainted serpents.  Enjoy!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/9/13/743744_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/9/13/743745_md-.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Way of the Desert

PRIMARIS:  Sandstorm – WC 2

Sandstorm is a malediction with a range of 48”.  All models in the target unit suffer -1 ballistic skill until the start of the next friendly psychic phase, and must immediately take a pinning check.

1:  Burning Heat – WC 1

Burning Heat is a witchfire that uses the following profile:

Burning Heat:  RNG: 18   S: 6   AP: -   Assault 1   Blast, Ignores Cover

2:  Serpent’s Venom – WC 1

Serpent’s Venom is a focused witchfire with a range of 24”.  The target must immediately take a toughness test.  If failed, the model takes a single wound with no saves allowed.

3:  Mirage – WC 1

Mirage is a malediction with a range of 24”.  Any unit targeted by the target unit counts as having the Shrouded special rule when determining cover saves.

4:  The Land Recedes – WC 2

The Land Recedes is a malediction with a range of 36”.  The target unit immediately receives -2 to their cover saves until the start of the next friendly psychic phase.

5:  One With The Darkness – WC 2

One With The Darkness is a blessing with a range of 24”.  The target unit gains the Shrouded and Fear special rules.

6:  Fire of the Sands – WC 2

Fire of the Sands is a witchfire that uses the following profile:

Fire of the Sands:  RNG: 24   S: 5   AP: -   Assault 1   Large Blast, Deflagrate, Soul Blaze, Ignores Cover