Can't believe it's been a year since I updated this. Just had a lot going on IRL and what hobby time was left was prioritised for my never-ending Blood Angels backlog... All the same, I haven't been entirely complacent...

Dragon's Teeth

Long story short, my Cerberus came with three near identical hunks of resin attacked the the neutron laser barrels and ever since, I've wanted to use them as Dragon's Teeth on the base of my Imperial Knight. Rather than leave them bare and given the mysticism around the 41st millennium, I've basically attempted to add some blessings to them. With green stuff...

For the chains I've attempted to follow this tutorial which is great for a green stuff newbie like me:

gallery_62972_11196_759435.jpg

I'm sure it will look better painted... :blush.:

Tanglewire

Finally complete. I've redone the base rims and ran some chestnut ink along the base where the rust drips onto it. Haven't used them in a game yet...

gallery_62972_11196_494608.jpg

Much prefer how they look with the rims done and it makes them more neutral from my Blood Angels (it also hides and cracks in the base!)

The chains look more like laurels to me, as they are kind of "puffy" looking.  But as you said, you don't know until you throw some paint at them. :)  As well, I would trim the "posts" that come out of the top - as they detract from them being dragon's teeth (it seems a bit odd for dragon's teeth to have posts coming out the top - not somethign I've ever seen before).

The tanglewire looks nice - are they a kit?

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

Thanks for the reply :)

I do plan on removing the posts, just haven't gotten around to them yet. The chains could also be plaited rope; I'll just have to play around with them when the time comes to paint them.

As for the wire, apparently they are a set of fences from green army men toy sets.

• 3 months later...

Barricades

On my Stormraven base I've done a preliminary test for some basic barricades - basically I've taken two identical resin blocks from FW, trimmed off any excess resin and screwed them onto the base. Then I've painted them up as the tanglewire above:

gallery_62972_11196_13241.jpg

They still need a light drybrush with Bleached Bone but I feel that despite being basic, they are still missing something? I don't have an image handy but they come up the waist on a regular marine (by that, I mean metal third edition). If I take this forward and make standalone barricades, what else would they require and what should I change?

Edited by Jolemai

• 1 month later...

The barricades look too pristine in comparison to the rest of the base. The edges need a little wear and damage.

Cheers for the reply. I added some paint and ink (chestnut from some advice elsewhere) and left it for a while. Recently I've come back a bit more confident and added some bullet holes and chips as per below:

Barricades

gallery_62972_11196_8244.jpg

Just need to work out how to paint the bullet holes. Thinking black (maybe an ink?) to represent las blasts? I also plan on flicking a tiny amount of red ink onto them to finish them off.

Dragon's Teeth

I've also advanced this project by seating them onto the Knight base. Just need tweaking, sanding, and painting now, but I may consider a few bullet holes...

gallery_62972_10721_51999.jpg

gallery_62972_10721_16128.jpg
Edited by Jolemai

The dragon's teeth are looking good! Impressive work with the green stuff, I would never be able to/have the confidence to attempt something like that. I think some bullet holes would look ace, and I'd only suggest that you're sure to completely flatten out the tops of them.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could find a way to have barbed wire between them... :thumbsup:

The dragon's teeth are looking good! Impressive work with the green stuff, I would never be able to/have the confidence to attempt something like that. I think some bullet holes would look ace, and I'd only suggest that you're sure to completely flatten out the tops of them.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could find a way to have barbed wire between them... :thumbsup:

Cheers for the reply. I have been considering making small points on top of the teeth so they appear like very shallow prisms, but only because I haven't got a large file to hand...

The green stuff is really just following the tutorial I linked as best I can. It's not good and there are mistakes (and chronicled above) but there are some good bits thanks to the practice. I reckon I'll do some stand alone pieces of dragon's teeth in the future so I'll save the barbed wire idea for that :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Fountain

Finished building the Hive City Grand Fountain from Tabletop Scenics. It's a beautiful kit, beautiful model, and went together very well (there will be a proper review somewhere down the line). In the meantime, here's the WIP of the project:

gallery_62972_11196_100871.jpg

gallery_62972_11196_150764.jpg

Any recommendations on how to paint HDF?

White walls, jade tiles atop the curtain walls, bronze or brass roofs atop the towers?

Didn't even consider that :O

I was going to stick with just grey like my bases/ruins, but seeing as it's a grand fountain a splash of colour wouldn't go amiss.

I have a couple of these kits and they really are amazing. HDF can be really thirsty, soaking up loads of paint, so I recommend sealing it first, I used watered down PVA.

Cheers, will look into doing that first :tu:

Cork Bases WIP

Been attempting some cork bases.

Take one cork, slice it into rounds (yes really, but that's all I have available), glue it on a base and carve it into shape. Once I've added some sand to the rim and sealed with some watered down PVA glue, it will then get painted like my current BA bases - so it's similar but bulkier to make them stand out and lacks the green rims (which ties them in with my Imperial terrain shown above). Eventually I plan on going down the rocky terrain route using this method.

gallery_62972_10721_28722.jpg

gallery_62972_10721_5262.jpg

Edited by Jolemai