Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - The Iron Bears

• Please log in to reply
1020 replies to this topic

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
  • Faction: The Iron Bears of Daer'dd.
"Let the enemy know your blade, your axe, your bolter rounds, for once they know your tools they shall fear your work"
Hymn of Iron

"Brothers! The traitors pray to their false gods that our weapons do not fail! For then they'd have to fight the Iron Bear's Fang and Claws!"
Attributed to Or'tan Songblade Chief Cleric and voice of the 4th Grand War Tribe, his call upon the walls of Terra to rally the Iron Bears.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 28 August 2015 - 05:35 AM.

• simison likes this
gallery_68351_7580_48424.png

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Land Raider Mauler: Based on the Achilles chassis of up armoured Land Raiders, the Mauler removes the heavy quadmorter cannon for a twin linked small prototype Assault Cannon being developed on Terra. Allowing for greater trasport capacity and a heavy close range anti infantry platform.

Points 300
BS:4 F:14 S:14 R:14 HP: 4
Unit Type: Vehicle(Tank Transport)
Wargear: Twin Linked hull mounted Assault Cannon, two sponson mounted twin linked Volkite Culverins, Frag Assault Launchers, Spotlight, Smoke Launchers.

Special Rules:Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit, Enhanced Ferromagnetic Rites.

Transport Capacity: Twelve Models
Fire Points: None
Access Points: One on each side of the hull.

Options: May exchange twin linked Volkite Culverins for Twin Linked Multi Meltas for free, or twin linked Plasma Cannons for +10 points
May take a siege shield for +10 points

Land Raider Mauler Nova: Replacing the transport capacity of the Mauler for Thunderer/Demolisher cannon, the Mauler Nova brings in heavy fire support and siege capacity in arenas where greater armour is needed than the Vindicators, and there is not enough operation room for a Typhon siege tank. In this capacity it has served the Iron Bears flawlessly.

Points 350
BS:4 F:14 S:14 R:14 HP:5
Unit Type: Vehicle(Tank, Heavy)
Wargear: Hull mounted Thunderer Cannon, Twin Linked hull mounted Assault Cannon, two sponson mounted twin linked Volkite Culverins, Siege Shield, Spotlight, Smoke Launchers.

Special Rules:Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit, Enhanced Ferromagnetic Rites.

Transport Capacity: None
Fire Points: None
Access Points: None

Options: May exchange twin linked Volkite Culverins for Twin Linked Multi Meltas for free, or twin linked Plasma Cannons for +10 points

Copied these over from the variants thread.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 29 September 2015 - 07:38 AM.

• depthcharge12 likes this

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
I was curious to see what people's thought was on this. This is a real rough draft of my flagship.

The Dragon of Autumn.
Said to be Daer'dd's finest creation ever The Dragon of Autumn is the brute of the entire Imperial fleet at over fourty kilometres long. The absolutely massive prow bladed ship features meters thick tungsten and adamantium armour plating, and rows upon rows of shield generators. This finds The Dragon is best suited for broadside actions, it's sides armed with broadside Nova cannons which only it's incredible mass can handle and plasma batteries. Under mounted macro rail cannon turrets compliment the broadside armaments and are very capable bombardment weapons. Though it's two most noted weapons are that of it's Ursus Claws, used for grappling, boarding, and even tearing other ships asunder, and it's unnamed primary forward weapon. Though most commonly referred to often as "The Executioner's Axe" or "Dragon's Breathe" it is technically a multi port plasmatic accelerator, at it's heart it is a heavy ion collider that produces superdense quark gluon plasma from the heart of a neutron star. The plasma is so hot it melts at the sub particle state and can turn planets into micro stars in a only a few moments or tear through fleets with ease, though it can only fire at less than once per every few hours.

The ship is commanded by Iron Queen and fleet mistress Lotara Sarrin, and is home to the Totem Guard and several dozen Clan Companies of the First Grand War Tribe. And close to a million crew members.

Also added a bit to Daer'dds personality in the first post.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 02 September 2015 - 10:52 PM.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
The Daughters of Daer'dd:

Under Daer'dd Niimkiikaa's command warriors of all types from the Three Fires fought. And whilst the Men had an obvious direction to go, his many mighty and talented female warriors did not. It was a suggestion from his father and older sister that the mighty female warrior conclave was born.

The oft called Shield Maidens or "Iron Maidens" serve under the technicality of being serfs or house troops, to under estimate them as such is a grave mistake. Genehanced,armoured with fine powered plate, and armed with the finest of weaponry. The Daughters of Daer'dd are little less than Astartes themselves, it is these Daughters that serve as the Bears primary support troops. Since their genehancing program is much less complicated the Daughters out number the Bears 4 to 1, and fulfill all direct support needs including ship troops and anti boarding actions.

Aandeg Niimkiikaa:
Born the younger brother of Daer'dd to his adopted Huronian family, Aandeg was born just 20 years before the Emperor's arrival he was a natural prodigy, gifted genius, and served under the planet's Shamen by the age of 12. He was a contemplative young man whom many mistook for brooding. He lacked the warm nature of his older brother, but he admired, loved, and idolized Daer'dd and aspired to be like him.

He was a natural candidate for the Astartes process. And is considered the first Huronian Astartes. After his change Aandeg's gift became ten fold and his power finally found him closer to his brother. It was during his time on Terra that Aandeg found himself under the occasional tutelage of the Primarchs Alexandros and Icarion. And while they helped temper the storm that churned inside Aandeg. But it would not be several years until the finding of the Primarch Magnus the Red that Aandeg was able to truly let his powers shine. For while Alexandros and Icarion were masters of divination. Magnus was an incomparable raw force of nature more akin to Aandeg's talents.

After Magnus' death. Aandeg was found in a deep depression for months. It was only after one night that his temperament changed dramatically and he became more like his old self.

Aandeg Gitchi Noodin Niimkiikaa: 275 points
The Great Raven of the storm of change. Master Shaman, Chief Librarian of the VIth legion.
WS BS S T W I A LD Sv
6 5 4 5 4 4 4 10 2+

Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Character)

Wargear: Totem Armour, Spear of Fates, Superior Pattern Storm Shield, Jump Pack, Ironbound Hide, Tomahawk Charges, Psychic Hood.

Warlord Trait:

Special Rules: Legion Astartes (Iron Bears), Independent Character, Psyker (Mastery Level 3)

Master Psyker: When generating psychic powers Aandeg may re-roll any or all psychic powers, though the player must take to the second roll.

Psyker: Aandeg generates his powers from the Biomancy, Pyromancy, Telekinesis, and Telepathy disciplines.

The Spear of Fates:
Wrought by his brothers hands, the Spear of Fates is one of the finest force weapons in the Galaxy. With assistance from all three of his psychic master Primarch brethren Daer'dd was able to create a fearful extension of his brother's vast psychic talents.
Range S AP Type
- +2 3 Melee, Force, Master Crafted, Concussive.

Edit: I'm still working on these. And lots of other things, I just wanted to get core ideas up lest I forget.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 15 September 2015 - 08:54 PM.

Demus Ragnok

Demus Ragnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,208 posts
  • Faction: Fire Keepers Xth Legion BotL
Drop back to mastery level 3.

In the rules legion librarians can only go up to ML 2.

Alexandros is ML 4 but he's a primarch.
Of Fire.

Fire gives light removing dark and shadow.

Fire gives purity driving out corruption.

Fire gives strength consuming weakness.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Done. I'd forgotten about the ML2 drop back, I was trying to convey someone comparable of Ahriman's power and only the Chaos dex has his.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,235 posts
  • Pronouns:he/him
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

It's nice to see a constructive way of including women into an army rather than the classic "gurl muhreens" smile.png

A bit confused by the way the Daughters fluff share a post with Aandeg's rules ?

sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Thank you! I wanted women to actually have their fair shot at glory in the Imperium. And with all the genehanced soldiers that are not Astartes, I didn't see why they couldn't be something outside of Sisters of Silence/Battle though both are badass.

And the ended up together because I just started going.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Would rail accelerator bow weapons be nifty or cheesy and over wrought?

Athrawes

Athrawes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,047 posts
  • Faction: II Legion Lightning Bearers

The Imperialis malitia from book  V would be a safe and balanced template for creating rules for your Iron Maiden. Since you described them as genecrafted and just short of astartes, I could see them using the Survivors of the Dark Age, Gene-Crafted, or cyber augmetics Provenances of War any combination (of those that can be combined) would be suitable for representing genecrafted warrior raised to a level just below Astartes.

EDIT: Also Feral Warrior Provenance might be a good choice too, as it grants the +1 WS bonus.

As a bonus, the Survivors of the Dark Age trait has the Advanced weapon option (which gives +1 weapon strength to laspistols, lascarbines, lasrifles, laslocks, and rotor cannons.) Which could be used to represent you bow weapons.

As a rule, I'm always more in favor of using preexisting rules where possible instead of creating new ones. It makes everyones life easier, especially if you ever use them in a game.

Edited by Athrawes, 11 September 2015 - 07:39 PM.

J5pGXDL.gifDox9Zn3.jpgcKjP2HP.jpg

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
That is pretty much what I was thinking for the Daughters of Daer'dd. I think I'm going to go with Gene-Crafted and Survivors of the Dark Age.

Also with the Bow weapons I thinking of them for Bolter count as for Seeker squads or maybe sniper rifle count as for recon squads, I like it.. But I'm more so afraid of it coming off as heavy handed.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Not so much a new set of rules or fluff, but a sneak peak of what I'll be posting tomorrow.
*My first attempt at the Legiones Astartes: Iron Bears special rule

*the first Iron Bear Rite of War

*multiple characters (Solomon Grimm, Ah'nek The Giant, Lord Chief R.Damon Redd)

*and fluff/explanation on the wargear I listed.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Just a first draft.

Legiones Astartes: Iron Bears

Legions Astartes:Units with this rule may attempt to regroup at normal leadership regardless of casualties.

The Mountain That Breaks The Storm:any model or unit with this special rule counts as having the Counter Attack special rule and any scoring units gain Stubborn when controlling an objective.

Strength of Iron: All models with this rule have Void Hardened Armour (see the Cold Void mission special rules on page 173 of The Horus Heresy Book One - Betrayal).

Martial Pride: Any Character with this special rule must issue challenges when possible (if more than one eligible target the controlling player may chose whom it is issued to) or accept any issued challenges. The character gains +1 to strength in the first round of combat and the Hatred special rules for the duration of that combat.

Phalanx Kin: may not take breachers

Thoughts? Also I'll be posting the rite of war later today.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 28 February 2016 - 10:26 AM.

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,310 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Furious Charge as a Special Rule for martial pride makes no real sense to me. Make it +1S during the first round of combat instead. Sure, its technically the same thing but doing it this way may avoid any confusion :P

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Fair enough makes sense to me, and thank you for the input!

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

I think that the combo of always having Stubborn and Counter-attack is very strong. Perhaps too strong when combined with the other rules too. I would suggest either removing one of the rules (Stubborn would be my suggestion as it is so powerful in 30K) or add a restriction on when you get Stubborn and Counter-attack (Only in your deployment zone for example).

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Thanks grif! Yeah I forget how strong Stubborn is without ATSKNF everywhere. What if I just had it so scoring units gained stubborn on an objective, and still had Counter Attack all the time?

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

That would be much better in my opinion.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Thank you! You've helped me a lot Grif!, I can't thank you enough!

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Not a problem :)

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Rough Draft of my Rite of War.

The Iron Bears legion Rite of War:
The Artificer's Warpath.

It's well noted that only the Primarch Niklaas and the Emperor himself can match Daer'dd's arcane mechanisms and masterful metallurgy & smithing. And it is shown in his sons, each warrior of the VIth wears a unique set of armour, pieced together by the warrior himself, and each Astartes bears unique masterful weapons customized to be perfect for them alone. It is in this that each Astartes is able to shine, using their mastercrafted wargear to become a singular expression of War as Art, to show the beautiful strength of iron.

The Iron Masters: Every non named Character and Independent Character is automatically upgraded to Artificer Armour for free and may further upgrade to Ironbound Armour for +7 points or Totem Armour for +15 points. In addition to this they may select one weapon to be upgraded to mastercrafted for free.

Mark of the Master: all units with a designation of either Warrior, Slayer, or Hunter must take the following special rules for +3 points per model.
Warrior:Relentless & Feel no Pain (5+)
Slayer: Furious Charge & Precision Strikes
Hunter: Tank Hunter & Precision Shots

Strength of Iron: Legion artillery Squadrons lose the 0-1 limit and Vindicators and Whirlwind Scorpious may be taken in squadrons of 1-3.

The power of few: Veteran Tactical squadrons may be taken as a troop choice, they must purchase either combat shields for +3 points per model or Ironbound Combat Shields for +5 points per model.

Claws of the Bear:Legion Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop pods and Legion Kharybdis Assault Claws may be taken as Dedicated Transports for Clans that can fit in them. The detachment may not take any other vehicles with a transport capacity.

Limitations
-Compulsory troops selection must be filled by Veteran Tactical squadrons
-Standard Tactical Squadrons may not be taken
-Any non individual character units able to purchase either Combat Shields, Ironbound Combat Shields, Superior Pattern & Phalanx Pattern Storm Shields must do so.
-No Flyers save for Anvillus Dreadclaws and Kharybdis Assault Claws may be taken
-May not take any fortifications.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 29 September 2015 - 09:36 PM.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
Lord Chief R.Damon Redd: 270 points
Lord Chief of the 4th Grand Wartribe, Master Slayer, The Iron King,
Master of the fleet.
WS BS S T W I A LD Sv
7 5 6 5 4 5 5 10 2+

Unit Type: Infantry (Character)

Wargear: Totem Armour, The Weight of War, Master Crafted Power Tomahawk, Dream Catcher, Ironbound hide, Gauntlets of Terra, Tomahawk Charges.

Warlord Trait:

Special Rules: Legion Astartes (Iron Bears), Independent Character, Master Slayer, The Iron King, Bulky, Slow and Purposeful, Eternal Warrior.

Master Slayer: As the Master Slayer there is no better a technical fighter in the Legion than R.Damon Redd, he's mastered every aspect of it, and how to defend or attack anything. He counts as having, the Fleet, Precision Shots, and Precision Strike special rules.

The Iron King: It is believed by many that he is the natural choice for the legion's High Lord Chief and head of the council of Three Fires, should anything happen to Daer'dd. He is truly Daer'dd's best student, and over the two centuries of service he's had the finest augments and artificial replacements after grievous wounds. It is said he weighs twice as much as another Astartes his size. He has D3 hammer of wrath attacks on the charge with the Concussive special rule, and Feel No Pain (5+)

The Weight of War:
The Weight of War is said to the single finest Tomahawk ever produced. Very little is know about it, the only thing that is known is it uses hyperdense liquid Osmium suspended in magnetic fields and antigrav suspensors. When the blade recognizes a strike coming it turns off the antigrav suspension and allows the tube of meta material slide down a tube in the handle generating Titanic proportions of energy able to sunder a land raider in one blow.
Range S AP Type
- +2 4 Melee, Unwieldy, Master Crafted, Rending (4+), Armourbane Concussive.

Dream Catcher:
A Superior pattern Storm Shield with a staggering amount of psychic wards and a sheet of Aurc metal from Terra it self. It sings like a bell when struck.

Dream Catcher is a storm shield that gives it's bearer Adamantium Will (4+).

Alright, now I know there will be a little bit of controversy because he's a very serious beat stick. But, I've actually been play testing his rules for the last 4 years or so for the Iron Bears chapter before it became legion. Redd does have some SERIOUS faults, he can be a bigger bullet than some of the Primarchs, he gets tied up by MC's quickly once Daemon Princes and Primarchs come in he'll be toast quickly. He's not a typical deathstar being so slow. He can survive a lot, but that also sees him tarpitted a lot so he becomes ineffective very quickly.

Thoughts?

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 15 September 2015 - 04:12 PM.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts
Ok. Well I just did a little quick maths of him vs Kawil. I ignored the re-roll to inv and assumed the storm shield was a 3+. But he and K'awil take 6 rounds of combat to kill each other, if no-one gets a charge bonus. Also that doesn't factor in the Gauntlets of Terra or Ironbound Hide (couldn't find rules for them). If Ironbound hide is meant to give the upgrade from the last page I really hope that it has been included already or he is beyond hiddeous.

Now I'm not against beatstick characters, I just think they need to strike a balance. To me astartes should never go above S/T/A 5 as a base because I think that is the limit and beyond that you hit Primarch stats. I'm also wary of WS 7 too, just due to Siggismund and the whole debate around him.

Now I know you say he is slow, but the only thing that makes him so is that he cannot run, otherwise he is as fast as any infantry model. Also I don't see him being tarpitted by anything short of large fearless units or the tougher Primarchs. He just has too many attacks at too high a strength. I mean he hits pretty much as hard as Daer'dd himself on the charge.
  • Doctor Perils likes this

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
The gauntlets and ironbound hide are just bonuses to his stats included in his profile. And I am shocked about him going that long against k'awil, I've run him against all the cannonverse Primarchs and I killed Fulgrim once because I got lucky with concussive and saving throws, but usually he doesn't make it out of the second round of combat.

He originally started of as a saga of the Bear Wolford with a power maul. WTT and Teeth. And I've been modifying him for our home league ever since.

But that being said I will make some changes, The strength I am wary to change because it's most about his fluff. The Gauntlets (which are what give him the strength bonus) are basically in built mini powerfists, and yeah he hits hard but he hits almost the virtually same as someone with a thunderhammer and furious charge which is surprisingly not that rare. a
And as far as the WS goes I can see where people get a little upset about it but it's not like Sigismund is the only one with that weapon skill (Khârn immediately comes to mind). I went with 7 because he's supposed to be the single absolute best CC fighter in the legion.

I've made a few changes so he's a bit softer I've taken away one attack, dropped the invulnerable reroll and dropped FNP by one, I'll change the weapon skill if everyone isn't crazy about it.

Edited by Chief Captain Redd, 15 September 2015 - 04:13 PM.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 720 posts
  • Faction: II, VI, X & XI Legions

I don't really view WS 7 as a problem, and since Redd is so costly I feel it's justified.  Although, speaking as one who has a WS 7 character, I may be slightly biased msn-wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users