Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The VIth Legion: the Iron Bears of Daer'dd Niimkiikaa

• Please log in to reply
840 replies to this topic

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Iron Bears of Daer'dd.
So blunt and I have been talking about ways to seperate the various duties they serve.

Totem Guard (Ogichidaa, Dodem Gizhaadige​) will remain as the Legion Honour Guard

The 66 (Gagiigin)- will be an informal name for Daer'dd's best.(no formal recognition)

Onaabanjigaazo Dodem- aka The Chosen of Daer'dd his ten thousand. Or simply called
The Onaa.

What do think?
gallery_68351_7580_48424.png

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,958 posts
  • Chapter Name: Inkspillers

I'll have to read that for sure. But it hits Damon on the head, he's unbeaten not because of skill as several can match that with him, but his unrelenting drive, he will not stop.
I think his balancing influences would be Jericho Talltree and Seraph Maximus Ironhill.

I reckon his and Guar's fight should unfold similarly to Sigi v Sev.

That occurs to me as a minor issue; we need to give him some stories in which to take on a life as a character. Perhaps rallying the Legion and resisting the initial Traitor pushes, even as Nivbaasiniwii rallies the broken First and fights on Mars.

Mortal scrivener for the Brotherhood of the Lost project:
gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Tales of the Brotherhood

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
One thing I think I'd like to do is see him in council with Alex, Niklaas, Valdor, and Malcador and things become heated and this isn't Redd who just took over the Legion, this is an older, surely, stubborn Redd, one tired of human death tolls. So then he mentions everything and everyone he lost; he thinks they should let Terra be attacked so that the Bears can rip them apart with Adamantium tooth and Claw.

That or seeing him with his family at the Redd's Iron Keep, thinking this might be the last time he gets to enjoy it.
.or we could do Ara'ssa's death, how it effects him internally and how just goes Bombast on traitors

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,156 posts
  • Chapter Name: Predators - BotL XXth Legion

Chief Captain Redd, on 10 Jun 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

They're stronger and tougher than a normal Astartes yes, but they're not better trained fighters at all, they're at the same capabilities of an Astartes of their age. They're not super Astartes, Other than their armour their base load out is definitely not elite (a combat shield, bolt pistol, and a chain axe). They might last a few seconds longer against a Custode because they're tougher, but they're likely to do die before landing a hit because they're slower.

Edit: that's the last I'm saying of it here, if you wish to continue we can move it to the Iron Bears thread.

THAT is totally fine, don't get me wron. As I said, we already know that the Bears are a bit taller and stronger than an average Marine. If I have to compare with the canon Legions, I'd suggest that the difference is like this:

The Bears are stronger and taller like the Death Guard is more resilient or the World Eaters are more capable fighters than the rest of the Legions.

Yeah but they are incredibly close to the Iron Bears; and that could account for the size increase, through hand wavery.
Besides I figure the Genesis Marines will be better than Primaries, closer to the Ironbound.

Sorry didn't see this sooner; Ironbound Slayers are not anything near common place in the VIth, less than 0.3% of the Legion are Ironbound Slayers; they're members of the Iron Bears that have become obsessive with pushing themselves through biotech and cybernetics. So yeah one on one, they're better, but they're also outnumbered by Genesis Marines like 500 to 1.
And they're not something you can just pump out, it's taken decades of the finest engineering and augmetic surgery to reach where they are.

Those comments led to the suggestion that (at first) the Bears are as powerful / mighty / call it how you want it as the Genesis Legion, which was designed from the scratch to be better Astartes. And that's why we all said: wait...what?

If we have a look on the Iron Hands, we know that they augment themselves in a ridiculous way. That makes them more resilient, stronger, maybe even faster but still (as far as we know with our current knowledge about the Primaris Astartes), the Iron Hands would stil be "weaker" than the Primaris. I'm very curious of how GW will implement the Primaris in the canon chapters.

Now back to the Bears. The Ironbound are obsessed with augmenting themselves: ok, got it.

But the technology of our Imperium will not be better than the canon one. It's recessive. There is no place for inventions. So the augmentations aren't getting better over time. Quite the opposite might be the case.

This leads us (or at least me) to the conclusion that even if the Ironbound augment themselves (btw. up to what level? walking metal with hearts like the Iron Hands?) heavily and they are able to imrpove their might and capabilities beyond the normal Astartes, I'd suggest that they maybe reach a increase of about 10-15 %.

Primaris / Genesis are about 30% "better" than an average Astartes.

So saying that on one on one battles, the Ironbound would be better than the Genesis, is IMHO not reasonable.

Try something. Try to create a chapter within our Liber Astartes section, whose members (even if it's just their elite company) are as good (or even better) than the Primaris Marines. I garantee that you'll have to explain it A LOT to other, more strict members, who are well experienced in creating liber articles. Some might even say that this scratches snowflake territory.

Again, I'm not intending to disregard your work here! I'm just trying to keep the balance of power levels within our project.

"You speak of  justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of FEAR!"

gallery_92945_11930_12878.png

XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators

Brotherhood of the Lost - Predators thread: http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Remember though, the Ironbound roots lie in the early days of the the Great Crusade; many of the first Ironbound's cybernetics were created by Daer'dd himself; they're a big reason why he's seen as a hypocrite at the Vizanko Prosecution.

As far as fluff goes; I'm fine with them being worse than Genesis Marines pound for pound or straight up. They've always been brutish brawlers, strength over talents. And as far as how much metal to flesh, they're effectively Dreadnoughts.
I was just talking in terms of table top rules, yeah an Ironbound is better than a Primaris, they also cost three times as much. When myself, Griff, Simi, and Hesh went over the final rules​ they looked well balanced, they're unique and interesting, didn't really step on toes and really fit into the play style of what I wanted for the Iron Bears.
I don't see why they can't both exist. And I'd really like to keep them as is rules wise, hell I'll drop down their int to 3 to show the slower nature of Augmentation; but they're my Keystone unit for me, if I use the wrong hyperbole at times I apologize, they're not supposed to be the best, just terrifying. They're the soul of my legion.

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,156 posts

Dude, why haven't you mentioned earlier that you're talking about table top rules? ^^

I don't have a freakin' clue about rules and the likes. Therefore, I assume that they will be balanced and thus, I won't say anything against them.

I was talking solely about fluff. ;)

"You speak of  justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of FEAR!"

Brotherhood of the Lost - Predators thread: http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Yeah, I was just talking about rules that whole time.

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,267 posts
Second Kel's statements. I thought you were talking fluff. Provided that they're not better fluff wise then I'm happy
The Brotherhood of the Lost

Signature

The IIIrd legion, the Crimson Lions formerly known as the Blood Wolves. http://www.bolterand...-crimson-lions/

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,156 posts

Same here.

Just inform us the next time. ;)

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Sorry, it's easy for me to forget to mention.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,958 posts
  • Chapter Name: Inkspillers
Glad that's resolved.

Reading Tempest has given me some thoughts - if Ultramarine has Forge Worlds that aren't recognised by the Fabricator-General, then that should definitely be how they treat those in the Three Fires. This means a certain lack of "rights and privileges", which they presumably compensate for with Daer'dd's influence. In the long run however, Kelbor-Hal only comes to see this as more of a problem.
  • simison likes this

Mortal scrivener for the Brotherhood of the Lost project:
gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Tales of the Brotherhood

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
^ yeah I wanted a show down between the two.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Getting giddy, I just got artillery support in three new Legion Basilisks and a Minotaur. I have three new Tech marines and bits to finish off the 60 strong Warborn (vet.Tacticals) on the way, as well as a Fellblade, two Vindicators, and Typhon.

But, now I need advice, firstly; I've had an idea for awhile of Daer'dd having Warp jump generator technology alá Warp Siders or Grey Knights I'm building 40 assault Marines and I was curious if I should model them with WJGs or Jump Packs? I like both a lot, and I have modelled a couple leaders with winged jump packs which looks awesome, but I love the concept of Bears popping in and out to get into the enemy's face.

Also second question; I'm doing one other order, should I order 6 predators or Dread Claws and a couple more Dreds?

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Chapter Name: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
The popping out of nowhere is already the thing of the lightning bearers. Their oni squad utilize that warp teleport technique and it is one kf their most kept secrets how they manage to use it..
  • Kelborn likes this

The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeggallery_78117_10471_62812.pnggallery_92945_11930_12458.png

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,156 posts

AND as we don't have Grey Knights in our 'verse, I would like to avoid using too much personal teleport technology.

Besides, does the Nightguard have something similar?

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Holy feth, I completely Forgot about the Oni squads honestly, jump packs it is! Thanks guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users