Ughhghhghghghhguhghughguhgug

No wonder I was like "sounds like thats been done though..." uhhhh sooooo lets go for a third party account of some defining aspect of the Primarch.

What new Eldar stuff?

Haven't followed the recent rumors stuff. All I've seen was something about an Eldar cat. ^^

Board rules. Just see the N&R topic.

Among the Indomitable Four, it is common for the propagandists to go on and on about Santor's mind as what separates him from the others. While not wrong, since he is, you know, the scientist, the dullest make the mistake that that's all Santor has going for him. It's gotten so common that I have an image of the four with me whenever I have to play babysitter to civilians. Every time that one idiot brings it up, I pull out the image and point at Santor and ask, 'Do you really think that trident is just for show'?

- Quote from Master Sergeant Dion of the Ionan 105th

[Apologies Blunt, but, well, I was ready and raring to go.]

Few in number are the mortals who have any say in the actions of the Legiones Astartes. Rarer still are the ones who hold any kind of legion rank, honorary or not. Thus, it must be said that no mortal enjoyed Inna Santor's position and influence within the Scions Hospitalier. Although technically possessing the necessary rank to command the XIXth, Inna's contributions to her adopted brother's legion are more cerebral in nature. As one of the Imperium's finest biologists, Inna shares Pionus' desire to study and improve humanity. Yet, to explore the cutting-edge of research, this fearless lady chooses to accompany the Scions as they make war on the unknown and the strange. Despite her brother's wishes, it is not unknown for Inna to attach herself to a Scion warzone to attain fresh samples which fuel her research. While highly respected by the legion, it is only in the most unexpected and dire scenarios that have required Inna to take actual command of a Scion force.

Checked in with Grifft. It seems the last two items the Scions need are two paragraph descriptions. One is for the legion itself to go on the first rule page, while the other is the italicized paragraph that serves as the Primarch's description. 

Describing how the Legion and Primarch fight?

More like brief bios, like the more typical unit descriptions. For Perturabo, the third paragraph is about his rampage on Olympia leading him to the Dropsite Massacre. 

Daughter of the Ocean World

Having spent decades exploring the perilous depths of Iona beside her brother, Inna Santor could never be dissuaded from following him into the Great Crusade. Initially she met with incredulous responses from within the XIX and without, but over time the worth of the genhancements bestowed on her became apparent. While she is no match for an Astartes, the gifts that enabled her to prevail against dozens of aquatic monsters make her one of the most deadly mortal warriors in the Imperium.

Today, her place among the Scions’ leadership is unquestioned, and she serves as head of the Legion's Apothecarion. Wielding a paragon blade and clad in artificer armour, she has been known to occasionally command her “nephews” in battle. Even when another officer takes the lead, her unique Narthecium array makes her a priceless asset.

Surgical Blades

The Scions Hospitalier make war much as their Primarch and his companions hunted on Iona, seeking the cleanest victories and using their outsized Apothecarion to limit casualties. This extends to their determination to avoid civilian casualties where possible, and indeed many Scions follow their Primarch's example of research in the fields of medicine and genetics, seeking ways to guide humanity’s progress as a species and prevent any degradation that alien worlds might inflict on its genome.

The Scions are the masters of fighting in hostile environments, and above all beneath the waves. They are slayers of beasts, bringing down their foes with blows of the utmost precision. This made them vital against such foes as the Qarith and Laer, scouring the xenos from the oceans they laid claim to. In order to defeat the enemy, they seek to understand it, and discover the most effective ways to slay the xenos they abhor above all else.

Edited by bluntblade

Reading three examples, I approve of the legion description. The only change I recommend is to combine both paragraphs into two. There's not a lot of space to work with. 

That leaves Pionus' description paragraph.

From one sea to another, Pionus fell from the Sea of Souls onto the Seas of Iona. Beneath and above the waves of this ocean world, the Emperor's Son has meticulously charted his future through the smallest of detail. Adopted by a man of science, the young Primarch would come to sharpen his tools of logic and of the mind to a preternatural degree. Wielding the scientific method to improve the lives of his fellow Ionans, when the Emperor came for his lost son, Pionus would not shirk his design and would adapt those same principles into a tool of warfare. War itself became another experiment to the Perfector who approached it with cool reason. 

Yet, this was no callous warlord who spent the lives of his sons as though pieces on a game board. As instilled him from his childhood, Pionus' objective was always the improvement of life. From Ionan to Imperial citizen, the Ocean Walker continued his research of genetics in a constant battle to improve the lives of the average man, no matter the environment. Although he viewed the battlefield as another lab, the Lord of the XIXth sought to preserve the lives of his sons as transformed his legion from bravado duelists to attentive professionals, masters of mobility and medicine. In time, the Scions Hospitalier would become renowned as men of learning and war. 

Alas, for all of his ability to note the smallest errors in the genetic code, Pionus was unable to see the Insurrection swiftly approaching him with cloaked daggers. On the dreaded Day of Revelation, the Healer was struck down, never again to rise mortal flesh. The Traitors would soon learn though, that the wrath of a Primarch is not so easily avoided. When Pionus would next appear on the blood-soaked fields of war, it would be as a true titan of bone and war. 

[slips, if you could look this and the Surgical Blades over, I need your approval before I send them up to Grifft.]

• 3 weeks later...

"never to rise mortal flesh"? I think that wants tweaking.

Plus, although it took me ages to realise, given the timeframe I'm not sure it makes sense for Odyssalas to become a Knight Errant so early on. So the Fire Keepers who find him get the order to head for Mars, and after Kelbor-Hal is driven away he sets off for Iona/the nearest detachment of his brothers.

I kind of want Ladon to have a built-in serpenta, but then despite so many Custodians having their guardian spears it still feels a little snowflake-y. On the other hand, for a warrior who has regularly fought underwater, being able to switch from melee to ranged combat just like that is very handy.

Edited by bluntblade

Given the time frame, the Knights Errant are probably going to be founded later than we initially thought.

Actually, thinking about it, who is the forst Knight Errant? Khârn is more of a Loken figure than Garro so who's our Garro? Or perhaps it's multiple legionaries who only discover that they are part of a larger organization later?

It was originally the Hands but given how much their role has changed, that doesn't seem possible any more. 

OH IDEA: Legionaries imprisoned beneath Terra for one reason or another who are given this last shot at redemption? They are then later joined by folks like Odysalles, Khârn, Nix and Muniza but at their base, they are sinners who are seeking redemption. 

Could lead on to a continuation of the KE into 40k

Given the time frame, the Knights Errant are probably going to be founded later than we initially thought.

Actually, thinking about it, who is the forst Knight Errant? Khârn is more of a Loken figure than Garro so who's our Garro? Or perhaps it's multiple legionaries who only discover that they are part of a larger organization later?

Muniza of the Lightning Bearers (Athrawes-approved). Upside of having Halcyon Wardens on Terra is that their telepaths can examine the minds of the Hands of Terra who are taken into custody. So they won't endure a lengthy imprisonment. Edited by bluntblade