EVENT - The Qarith Triumph

simison

• 2 weeks later...
The quarith triumph is our ulanor. So very late in the great crusade. Right afterwards icarion is denied the position of warmaster and alexandros is given the title instead causing an erruption amongst the ranks of the astartes. The emperor returns then to terra to follow his webway project.

• 5 months later...

Guys, just how big should the War be? The Macharius Crusade lasts about the same time and takes hundreds of worlds, but I can't find numbers for the soldiers involved

We're talking about a war to rival an entire Ork empire. I'd estimate at least 8 star systems, and enough resistance to require 4 Legions and the Custodians.

Ullanor was dozens, which makes 8 million mortal men seem woefuly insufficient (until you remember Horus killed the warlord within a year of the campaign beginning). We have a lot more Legions involved and it takes place over several years, so I'm looking as much to the Macharius Crusade for guidance.

Given that the bulk of the fighting will be done by the legions, with the Imperial Army playing a supporting role more than a frontline one, I think the numbers shouldn't exceed about 100 million. We can save the truly enormous Imperial Army/Guard campaigns for after the legions have been split up into Orders. 

And just to point out, those 8 million mortals who were at the triumph weren't the only mortal troops present. It's stated that they were handpicked as the best of the mortal troops, meaning that the total number of Imperial Army troopers deployed could be in the high tens of millions I reckon

• 1 year later...

Dusting this off. Firstly, I forgot the Dune Serpents were involved, did we ever establish to what extent?

Second, how much are we involving the Steel Legion?

Third, I like the idea of Hectarion staving off disaster in the first year at high cost, joined by the Predators who launch shock attacks against Qarith armies and worlds.

I imagine for the first half of the war the Steel Legion would mainly focus on defence, holding the line and beefing up the defences of worlds in the Qarith's path while the rest of the Imperium mobilises, leaving more aggressive Legions like the Lions and Preds to handle the counterattack.

Once the Imperial war machine gets rolling and the Quarith are put on the defensive the SL would begin joining the attack, hunting Quarith fleets and aiding their fellows in cracking open the Quarith's strongholds planetside.

Dusting this off. Firstly, I forgot the Dune Serpents were involved, did we ever establish to what extent?

Second, how much are we involving the Steel Legion?

Third, I like the idea of Hectarion staving off disaster in the first year at high cost, joined by the Predators who launch shock attacks against Qarith armies and worlds.

I think some flanking maneuver and special operations. I doubt there's much more detail than that.

I believe San answered that.

Works for me.

I imagine for the first half of the war the Steel Legion would mainly focus on defence, holding the line and beefing up the defences of worlds in the Qarith's path while the rest of the Imperium mobilises, leaving more aggressive Legions like the Lions and Preds to handle the counterattack.

Once the Imperial war machine gets rolling and the Quarith are put on the defensive the SL would begin joining the attack, hunting Quarith fleets and aiding their fellows in cracking open the Quarith's strongholds planetside.

OK, but how much of the Legion is involved? Is Nomus in play?

I'm also inclined to tidy away some canon regiments and Titan Legions at this stage. Gonna have to check which ones we're using in the Insurrection.

Edited by bluntblade

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...