Loyalists' Strategium

simison

To those sided with the Emperor and the Warmaster, here is where we'll devise how we'll hold the line and defend the Imperium against this most outrageous betrayal. 

Focus is going to be on how the Loyalists perform during the Insurrection, what personal trials they will endure, and how do we convince the Revolutionaries to see the light before Chaos consumes us all. 

We of the Scions Hospitalier stand firm in the face of Adversity!

We are they who shall perfect the Emperors Vision for a Humanity Ascendant!

No Xenos, Traitor or Mutant* Shall stay our Wrath!

Our Judgement shall be vicious and brutal! They shall earn no Quarter, no Respite! 

They who would bring low the Vision of the Emperor (Mighty is He!) shall be Eradicated! No Trace Shall Remain!

*Terms and conditions may apply (Navigators)

+++

Our Friends and Allies need not fear us! No man shall be left behind!

No Mortal need revere us! For We were Human And Through our craft will Humanity in its entirety be Uplifted!

+++

In More General, less Preachy-Prayer-y way, The Scions Hospitalier and Pionus would initially be disbelieving (like many) or the Initial Berayal but, as information would come in, would lock their jaw, grit their teeth and set about annihilating the enemies of the Imperium.

They would use any genetic information gathered from their Apothecaries who were previously attached to the Traitor Legions to use any flaws to their advantage. They would also study in detail the minutiae of the traitors. They would perform tests on the few they capture to make more and more efficient ways to kill them.

Their Specialty for Void Combat they would use to the maximum seeing as no other legion besides the Drowned had a Specialty in the field. Instead of Boarding enemy Ship and fighting on their home turf, they would sabotage the exteriors such as the Engines, Weapons Batteries, Docking Bay Doors. They would disable and render helpless before evacuating the vessel and Vaping it with their own ships-to-ship weapons.

Their Homeworld of Iona would be all but unassailable due to its Nature as a Water World making conventional assaults all but impossible and the Space Installations in system being crewed by void-specialized Astates meant that any combat occurring in and around the system very difficult for the Traitors to gain any lasting ground.

They would start fighting Traitors with any means necessary: Phosphex, Rad Weaponry or anything that they would never normally use for standard combat, Using Scorched Earth tactics on any Traitor Aligned Worlds deeming them nonredeemable, consigning any Traitor Recruiting worlds to Exterminatus.

On the Other Hand, would they be on the defensive, they would adopt a more extreme "No Man Left Behind" mentality going out of their way to ensure successful Mortal (non-Abhuman) and Fellow Loyalist retreats.

However, they would also become much more Reserved with fellow Loyalist Legions being wary that any of them might join the traitors at any point. The only Imperial Institutions they would remain open with would be the Adeptus Custodes or any that would fall under the direct jurisdiction of the Emperor or Malcador. This reservation would even extend partially to the Mechanicum though not as strongly.

S'all I've got atm. 

That's alot, Slips, and a good start. Our biggest question, though, is which legions are going to suffer the opening blow. And which Primarch is going to lose his head?

Good Question. Seeing as mine aren't really frontline guys nor is my Primarch a hot-headed Ferrus Analogue, so I dont feel like mine would be the Prime Candidates for such a Position.

Hmmm...

Alex is out. His date with death will be at the end. Over half the Wardens will be on garrison duty, not possible to strike them down as a legion. Here are the others:

Niklaas (Muggle, Siege/Stealth Ops, Craftsman, Snarky, Anti-Xeno)
Hectarion Mycenor (Muggle, Berserker, All-Rounder, Calculating, Anti-Xeno)
Azus (Muggle, Ninja, Saboteur, Bipolar-sanity, Anti-Xeno)
Daer'dd Niimkiika (Muggle, Heavy Assaults, Master Smith, Boisterous, Anti-Xeno)
Yuchau (Muggle, Fleetmaster, Air Superiority, Fanatic, Anti-Xeno)

Assuming Azus stays loyal.  Both of my Primarchs are ready to fill any gaps in the sides as needs be.  I don't know which way they'll go in the end.  Also, I shall opt out of Azus being murdered as his legion already got 'Raven Guard'ed

Hectarion isn't hot headed enough to simply go rushing in blind. He'll be angry and want to get revenge on his wayward brothers but I thought the Crimson Lions could take heavy losses in a Phaal type scenario. However, if not enough otjer people are willing, the Crimson Lions could be tossed into the fires of a dropsite massacre.

On a related note, I don't think there will be many volounteers forthcoming to kill off their primarch so we may need to just roll d6 or somthing and see who draws the short straw.

Also, another thing to take into considertion is has the Emperor taken a Legion back to Terra with him? And how strong are each of the loyal legions at the start of the heresy?

I know that the Halycon wardens are 200,000 strong with half that on detached duty and the Crimson Lions around 130,000 with perhaps 30-40,000 on detached duty with seperate expeditions. So neither of those legions would be able to muster their full strength any time soon after they heard about the betrayel. What kind of a state are the other loyalists in? Jusy trying to figure out how spread out we'll be at the start of the heresy.

The balance of power being what it is, the traitor side can't afford to lose their Primarchs this early. It simply cannot be a even stroke on both sides or else the traitors would be outnumbered and outmatched by the end.

The loyalists have to take a heavy blow, several legions cripple and one or more Primarchs murdered. It's the downside to having so many loyalist Primarchs.

The Fire Keepers are about 150000 total most of that with the primarch in the 77th Fleet.

Tribe Esus and Tribe Mogon, about 18000 astartes total, are attached to the 1445th Expedition.

Chief Captain Jehu of Tribe Nerius commands the 333rd Expeditionary Fleet from the Battle Barge Perditio Rex, his primarch's former flagship. Tribe Nerius' compliment is roughly 13000 astartes and is accompanied by regiments of the Imperial Army and a force of a Titans.

Is it just me or is Niklaas the only siege oriented primarch? My unwritten background has him raised on a world dominated by medieval castles and forts.

Anyway. What if Jehu, who is the biological son of the family that found Niklaas as a child, and his expedition are all killed in the Massacre. The primarch's fleet arrived after it's all over. Enraged Niklaas launches a retaliatory campaign and just as he is managed to corner a traitor fleet and is about to burn them all...

Dad calls...someone must build the mighty bulwarks.

Terra must be reinforced.

Niklaas must decide, Vengeance or duty. Ensure the survival of the Imperium or quench the fire in his heart.

Whats the approximate strength of the Iron Bears? And how many(if any) are on detached duty?

Because so far Slip is looking like the only one who could match some of the traitor legions in terms of numbers at fairly short notice(I can be fairly certain the Eagle Warriors will be around 180,000 strong)

Alright, some of us are still thinking Dropsite Massacre, and that's not going to happen here. Icarion simply can't make the same arrangements because he isn't the Warmaster. What the Massacre will probably look like is a bunch of 2-on-1 legion-wide ambushes. 

Hectarion is one Primarch I think should live during the Insurrection. The trade-off is that Khorne will be hounding for his life the entire time. So, fun times! 

Demus, I like the fluff you have there, but being the only Siege Primarch, I think the Insurrection kinda needs you to shine here.

Which leaves Yuchau, Daer'dd, and Azus. 

Bah, choices. Well, Athrawes, of those three, which ones would be priority targets for Icarion?

With Niklaas filling the role of Rogal Dorn, it's looking like it's Hectarion, Dear'dd and Azus who are going to the Dropsite massacre. So that's 90,000 Crimson Lions, 110,000 Iron Bears and how many Dune Serpents Squig?

Edit: Woops just saw your post Simison. Ok, dropsite massacre out of the window. Discard evrything I said so far

Alright, some of us are still thinking Dropsite Massacre, and that's not going to happen here. Icarion simply can't make the same arrangements because he isn't the Warmaster. What the Massacre will probably look like is a bunch of 2-on-1 legion-wide ambushes. 

Hectarion is one Primarch I think should live during the Insurrection. The trade-off is that Khorne will be hounding for his life the entire time. So, fun times! 

Demus, I like the fluff you have there, but being the only Siege Primarch, I think the Insurrection kinda needs you to shine here.

Which leaves Yuchau, Daer'dd, and Azus. 

Bah, choices. Well, Athrawes, of those three, which ones would be priority targets for Icarion?

I'll have to give it some thought.

My gut says Daer'dd since he is seems the nicest, most personable, most brotherly of Primarchs and Betrayal is a cruel world. Dying would almost save him from having to live through years of fighting his beloved brothers. But that thought might also just be because I'm an awful person.

Again, I'll give it some thought.

Could you expound on that a little?

From a story and military perspective, the Loyalists are going to be slaughtered and outnumbered. Alex being the Warmaster meant that Icarion had more time to corrupt/persuade more legions to join his banner. The upside is, Alex creates a more stable Imperium. So, while the Insurrection inspires civil war to break-out everywhere, it's not as bad as it is in canon. Which translates into more human loyalists. Unfortunately, space marine trumps human, so the Traitors are still going to run rampant over the Imperium even as Alex and the Wardens successfully put down impromptu rebellions. One of the few ways to help even the odds between human soldier and space marine are good fortifications. Essentially, Niklaas is going to have to create a series of speed bumps to slow down the Traitors long enough for the fractures to set in.

EDIT: In that same vein of thought, Yuchau's fleet-based legion would also be important in slowing down the Traitors by hitting them in space, where a space marines' advantages are reduced. 

If I can just come in here, I think it would be quite interesting if Daer'dd was killed along with Alexandros at some point in the heresy. If that happened then it would leave Hectarion and Niklaas as well as possibly Azus and Yucahu to ry and re build the Imperium. From what I gather, none of them are the most diplomatic or administrative of primarchs so, where Dear'dd or Alexandros could probably have held it together, if they're both gone then there's a greater chance of infighting between the remaining primarchs.

Having thought about it, while I dont necessarily want my Primarch do die, I'd be willing to have my Legion Lose 80-90k Marines in a Particularly Devastating Ambush due to their nature as being Exceptionally tough Marines and their Specialty in fields that, AFAIK, none of the traitors are masters in.

Making the Hospitalliers a Prime Target for getting taken out of the Heresy/Insurrection ASAP. Also, mainly due to their enlarged and advanced apothecarion reducing the Fatality Rate and significantly reducing recovery time of wounded marines.

If I can just come in here, I think it would be quite interesting if Daer'dd was killed along with Alexandros at some point in the heresy. If that happened then it would leave Hectarion and Niklaas as well as possibly Azus and Yucahu to ry and re build the Imperium. From what I gather, none of them are the most diplomatic or administrative of primarchs so, where Dear'dd or Alexandros could probably have held it together, if they're both gone then there's a greater chance of infighting between the remaining primarchs.

You make solid points, which is sad because I like Daer'dd! But yeah, the story is inching towards him with a scythe.

Alexandros is going to die by Icarion's hand right before the end of the Insurrection. Have already spoken with Athrawes, and we have a rough draft of the scene.

Archived