Officia Monstrosa – Iron Warriors

The lights in the marines and Custodes are Photoshop, aren't they?

Hehe, no Photoshop here my friend! :wink:

You know that you are crazy, don't you? :wink:

Not according to this.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/834/461/1b4.jpg

The lights in the marines and Custodes are Photoshop, aren't they?

Hehe, no Photoshop here my friend! :wink:

You know that you are crazy, don't you? :wink:

Not according to this.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/834/461/1b4.jpg

http://www.sheldonsfans.com/assets/ckeditor/2016/dec/327/originale/14_2.gif

Could you please make some pics of your Leviathan?

...with apologies for the delay, here are some shots of Hekaton Zodios.

IMG_3957.JPG

Equipped with a storm cannon, siege drill, forward-facing volkite calivers and a phosphex launcher, this chap is almost stock; the only conversion being a little greenstuff reinforcing on his helm.

IMG_3958.JPG

I think the base took longer to put together than the model, if I remember correctly – kudos to the designers to make the kit so intuitive and easy to put together. The manhole cover (actually a decorative embellishment from Hobbycraft, I think) was placed on the base, then the Leviathan, and then cork tile was used to build up the base to the right level. This recessed the manhole cover and 'sank' the Leviathan in to give a sense of weight. Pumice texture gel was used to fill in the crevices, and static grass tufts added after the painting.

IMG_3959.JPG

The posing was – fairly typically for me – understated. I don't like Dreadnoughts that are too dynamic, as for me they should be relentless rather than racing.

IMG_3960.JPG

It's a very simple colour scheme; identical to the infantry – gunmetal, silver and grey. On reflection, perhaps it's a little too simple. There's muted and understated, and then there's dull.

IMG_3793.JPG

Here he is in action against Team Fisto at Warhammer World, when we visited last year. This shot better shows the effect of the silver ink I add to my metallics, which gives the paints greater reflectivity. Not quite mirror-effect, but enough to give them some 'zing'.

• 1 month later...

g.jpg

Continuing the theme of giant mechanical beasts, I was delighted to receive two members of the Iron Circle as a birthday gift from my mates in the PCRC. Cheers lads!  I couldn't resist putting them together immediately, and have spent far too long since making servo noise and pretending to swing a power hammer around. :D

Great models – I've written a review of the kit on Death of a Rubricist – but for your delight and delectation, here they are:

f.jpg

e.jpg

Inevitably, this has got me frothing about the Officia Monstrosa again, and in a burst of enthusiasm I've started building a squad of Breachers to accompany/follow the Iron Circle. Seven members in, I'm aiming to have some pictures of them up soon. 

Yeah, looking forward to getting some paint on them. Not sure whether to use the same techniques as the marines – am I right in thinking they're treated as part of the Legion, or am I misremembering that? – or to go with something more individual.

For those of you interested, I've started a Facebook group for '+ Death of a Rubricist +', which'll basically follow my main blog. It'll be a catch-all for all my projects (in case you'd like them in easily-findable form); but it won't replace the individual Horus Heresy project blogs here. If you'd like to join up, please feel free – it'd be a privilege to have you along for the ride :smile.:

Edited by Apologist

Yeah, looking forward to getting some paint on them. Not sure whether to use the same techniques as the marines – am I right in thinking they're treated as part of the Legion, or am I misremembering that? – or to go with something more individual.

For those of you interested, I've started a Facebook group for '+ Death of a Rubricist +', which'll basically follow my main blog. It'll be a catch-all for all my projects (in case you'd like them in easily-findable form); but it won't replace the individual Horus Heresy project blogs here. If you'd like to join up, please feel free – it'd be a privilege to have you along for the ride :smile.:

Yessir

• 2 weeks later...

The third and concluding part of the Assault on Pradesh Novum is up on Death of a Rubricist here. If you'd like to read from the start, begin here.

A really cracking game, and it was a particular visual treat to face off against Team Fisto and their allies:

h.jpg

+++

Most I've seen bear Legion Heraldry, but there could be circumstances where they'd be more personalized, though I'd imagine that'd be very rare for an already rare construct.

I've read fluff wise that they were built/customised by perturabo himself? so i'd assume they'd bear the same colours as the legion?

Yep, designed by Perturabo. FW has them painted up in Legion colours

Thanks all – I thought that was the case; good to have it confirmed. Perturabo favours his creations more than his children, after all... how mournful! 

I think the way I'll tackle them will be to paint them in Legion heraldry, but individualise them a little. I like the idea that each is a custom job; a bit like a much-loved and well-tuned classic car to the standard robots' production line visual. 

+++

Edited by Apologist

Anyone around and about at Warhammer World on the 15th/16th June? Work is taking me up to Nottingham on the Thursday and Friday, and I thought I'd extend my stay to pop in to GW HQ over the weekend, since I don't often get the chance. It'd be a treat to meet up with some other hobbyists and maybe get a game or two in.

I cannot believe it has taken me this long to actually read this. Utterly amazing work, (if not terrifying in the sheer quality!) and some very sage advice such as on mixing dynamic and conservative poses in squads. Loving the fluff provided with the entries, very inspiring as well!

Thanks Viridia – glad you find my burblings interesting :)

+++

Not a great deal to report, but I have been busy building more marines:

a.jpg

Breachers! Giant-shield-bearing robots (that's giant robots with giant shields) deserve some shield-bearing infantry to accompany them. As with the others shown here, I should probably have photographed them when primed grey, rather than sprayed black, but you get the idea. There are ten here, including a vox-link bearer and a Basilikoi sergeant (front row, second from right), marked out by his spiky shoulder pads. The shields are conspicuous by their absence, but are primed and ready to paint.

b.jpg

A destroyer. I've been hoarding a load of jump packs for ages – being as rare and expensive in the real world as they are during the Heresy, I've been saving them up for... some mythical perfect project. After being earmarked for the Ultramarines, then Imperial Fists, then an Iron Warrior assault squad, I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to just use the [sCRAPSHUNT] things on a set of Destroyers, a unit type I've never explored, but one that I think fits with the Officio Monstrosa project nicely.

I'm very tempted to magnetise these Destroyers' backpacks, so that I can swap back and forth between loadouts. I really like the idea of Destroyers running through Zona Mortalis games, so I want that option too.

c.jpg

These two Basilikoi above, like the three Legion Tactical marines below, are reinforcements for existing squads. I've been working in a very organic, unplanned way with the Iron Warriors, building and expanding the force as I go. It's a nice way to work; there's no sense of things being incomplete.

d.jpg

Thanks! 

Up today is the start of another attempt at Terminators – Cataphracts, to be precise.

Here's the basic bulking; a very early stage, but one that should establish the silhouette and scale. What do you reckon so far?

c.jpg

f.jpg

...and a height comparison pic, so you can judge whether he's about the right size against the others:

b.jpg

How can I not love this? The downward sloping breastplate gives him the hunched stance so typical for terminators and using the front side of a torso on top is a neat idea. My only concern is with the legs, as they look a tiny bit too far apart. But that's just a personal gripe that I have with almost all GW/FW models. :biggrin.:

If I may ask, from where are the upper legs? They don't seem to come from the obliterator kit.

Looking well indeed although I think the terminator is not quite tall enough compared to your marines. Without arms though it will be hard to get the over all impression of the bulk of it. It will be a hard thing to do to bring them up to size compared to your regular marines, who use so many terminator parts.