Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - The Grave Stalkers

Grave Stalkers Alternate Heresy Brotherhood of the Lost

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
  • Pronouns:ze/hir
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light

yeah^^

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_78117_10471_62812.png

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Last update of the night. Will be a bit of a pic splurge though, you have been warned. The loose bits have been held in place with white-tac until I can find my 5mm magnets that seem to have gone missing since I last used them sad.png Other than that it should be mainly cleaning up and adding green-stuff armour to fill in the gaps and make it look right. Oh and I want to add greeblies to the bottom to make it less flat too. Any way to the pics:

2015-09-04%2021.45.17_zpskgszswzf.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.45.39_zpsvhflri5h.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.46.03_zpsw2tyy5d7.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.46.21_zpsjtsipsgn.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.47.25_zpso1p5wdjx.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.47.00_zpsboz2ncup.jpg

2015-09-04%2021.48.23_zpsxeuqb3ax.jpg

• bluntblade likes this

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
Awesome. Tomorrow i buy Some landspeeder:)

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

:) Glad to have inspired you at least a little. Will warn you that an awful lot of the stuff I used wasn't from the landspeeder kit as was just in my bits box (I managed to find half a Land Raider as well as half a Valkyrie, and I've never collected Guard in my life). But I certainly wish you luck and look forward to seeing the prototype of a rival forge world on your thread :)

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
I try my best. I don't have any Tanks Here Or parts from Tanks, but a lot plasticcard ;)

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

So here is my first ever piece of fluff for the Grave Stalkers. Just a little self-contained piece that involves only Grave Stalkers as I don't want to misrepresent anyone else's Legion with my poor writing. A small thing to note it that I have decided to call the Apothecaries of the Legion Blood Hands due to their involvement in the rite of Ha'kun Ch'am. Anyway feel free to comment and or criticise, but please be gentle tongue.png

Today was it, the day of his ascension. He had passed through the fire and wore the scars of his trials with a fierce pride. This final test would judge him worthy of becoming a Reaper. After this day he would fear no foe and stride into battle as an avatar of death.

The room around him was dark, lit only by a pair of flaming braziers whose light had little impact on the oppressive atmosphere. Though he could not see them he could sense the crowd gathered to watch and tried to hold himself even taller under their scrutiny. The heat of the fire was strongly contrasted by the cold metal of the shackles that held him by the wrists and ankles against the bulkhead.

The noise of footfalls echo around him with a metallic ring, he turns his head to look towards the sound and watches as a Keeper emerges from the gloom, his black robes concealing him until the last moment. The Keeper considers him for a moment before intoning. “We come to bear witness. This brother seeks to become a Reaper. The right hand of our master and bringer of death to his enemies. His scars tell the tale of his bravery in battle, he has already givenup his name and now he offers of his body that we might continue and grow as a Legion. This final test, the Ha'kun Ch'am, will prove his dedication beyond all doubt. Look upon him as he takes this last step to become a legend among astartes and revere his sacrifice. Attend!”

As this final word booms through the chamber a pair of Blood Hands enter, bearing heavy-duty saws as well as other instruments the nameless Grave Stalker knew little of. Knowing what was to come he held his eyes on the keeper, knowing that to do else would break with tradition. He hears the reverberations of the saw being activated and feels it begin to slice into his sternum. He holds his jaw clenched to hold in any sound, another part of the ritual. Soon his torso has been cut down the centre and the two Blood Hands move forward to spread his ribs.

It is then that the pain truly begins. It takes the combined strength of both the Blood Hands to pull apart his ribs that they can access that most carefully husbanded resource, his geneseed. On the verge of passing out the nameless astartes holds desperately onto consciousness through willpower alone. The agony is already so great that he barely notices when they remove the first of his progenoid glands. The large needle going into his neck he does notice however and he struggles still to hold from crying out. The moments seem an eternity to him until the needle is removed and the Blood Hands move to close his gaping chest. Primitive metal staples pull the wound shut, but the additional pain is as nothing beside the torrent flowing through him already.

The restraints release and he topples forwards to be caught by the two Blood Hands. “Behold,” calls out the Keeper. “A Reaper has ascended.” Knowing that these words mark the end the nameless Grave Stalker allows himself to slip into blessed unconsciousness. He knows that his enhanced systems are already working to repair the damage done to him, but it matters little to him now. His life is over, all that is left is for him to die amid the fallen bodies of the enemies of his Primarch.

• Hesh Kadesh and bluntblade like this

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,860 posts
I don't feel this got enough recognition Griff. I love the take on the Reapers; giving up their Geneseed. Might want to think of a physiological trait that allows them to function as an astartes with its removal still. I believe its the progenoids which allow the combined modifications to work as well as they do, and it is what defines Astartes from any other bioengineered soldier.

Perhaps the breath of the Primarch, or something similarly supernatural?

Edited by Hesh Kadesh, 10 October 2015 - 11:55 AM.

Resources;

Heresy Era Lords of War; use this to find out the complete collection of available Lords of War for Battles in the Age of Darkness.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Thanks for that Hesh. As far as the Reapers go I always envisioned them as dying quite quickly as their implants begin to malfunction without the geneseed. In that way they wouldn't survive very long and would likely be placed into stasis of some form between campaigns in order to preserve their fighting strength. I do quite like your idea of there being something that could prolong that period though, something that can only be provided by K'awil thus ensuring complete loyalty.

That's also something that I can play off of once K'awil dies as leading to the fall of the Reapers and remaining non Blacksouls to Chaos. The only way they would be able to continue at all is to give themselves to [Chaos God] to stave off their deaths.

• Hesh Kadesh likes this

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,860 posts

Well, Morro has gone to Slaanesh, and Raktra for Nurgle. I forget if anyone has Khorne; considering his hatred of Psykers, it seems like a grand fit; killing those for Khorne to keep his sons alive. If he's on Terra as well, it gives more of a reason for Morro to go rampage elsewhere because of the pariah presence biting through him. Makes more sense than his teenage angst at that stage.

Resources;

Heresy Era Lords of War; use this to find out the complete collection of available Lords of War for Battles in the Age of Darkness.

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 720 posts
  • Faction: II, VI, X & XI Legions

Well, Morro has gone to Slaanesh, and Raktra for Nurgle. I forget if anyone has Khorne; considering his hatred of Psykers...

Morro - Slaanesh

Raktra - Khorne

Koschei - Nurgle

Nobody loves tzeentch... sad.png

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Well I did mention quite a while ago that I was considering having the remnants of my Legion fall to one of the gods in particular. Given that I think there has been enough time for people to calls dibs on Tzeentch if they wanted him, so I'll settle in as our 4th god-specific legion. It'll make for some potentially interesting internal conflict, the older Blacksouls and the newer psykers vying for position within the ranks.

I may have to come up with a latter Insurrection Legion Rule update though to make it possible. And maybe a faction leader character, though I guess I could give Ajaway a psyker option as he leads the legion into their new damnation... will have to think on it. On the other hand I realised that I don't have any pariah named characters so far in my list anywhere. I think that needs to be remedied so my last special character will be one with the pariah rule. And because I was reading through Betrayal a few days ago I really want to make a dreadnought character, so those two things will likely be merging for a somewhat more expensive last character.

• Hesh Kadesh likes this

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

AKBAL                                                                                 265 points

The Black Prince, Eye of the Void

WS       BS        S       Front  Side  Rear     I        A      HP
Akbal                                        5          5          7         13     12      10       4        3        3

Unit Composition

• 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Vehicle (Walker, Character)

Wargear

• Smoke Launchers
  • Searchlight
  • Twin-linked Volkite Culverin
  • Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt Volkite Charger
  • Infravisor

Special Rules

• Atomantic Shielding
  • Fleet
  • Pariah (Primus)
  • Adamantium Will

Dedicated Transport

• May take a Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod as a Dedicated Transport.

Edited by Grifftofer, 15 October 2015 - 08:16 AM.

• Hesh Kadesh likes this

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels
So, I read through your Pariah tree. Would you be willing it to share with the Warriors of Peace?

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Absolutely. Take what you need :)

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

So. I've updated my rules to take into account the new Pariah rules and added those in to the first post. Now I've been thinking on something that occurred to me last night. My legion IS the smallest, yet currently there is nothing to suggest/emphasise this in my legion rules. I'm wondering if there is something that I should do to fix this, maybe by allowing the Twisted Brotherhood rule to be added to all units (probably with differing point limits) in a Grave Stalkers army. This would let me have relatively smaller armies whilst also putting emphasis on my pariah heritage. The main reason I'm considering this is that my 3 legion units are on the lower end of strength and cost making armies of the Grave Stalkers relatively larger than those of other legions, in spite of fluff to the contrary (I'm ignoring 100+ point per model Iron Bear shenanigans :P). What do people think? Is this something I should even worry about?

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts

It is strange, that the elite troops of an mini legion are so cheap. so either strengthen them and give them  +10 on all stats^^ or use the twisted brotherhood what in my opinion suits to your army.

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,310 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Either up the cost per marine for your legion across the board (lots of bookkeeping and can get weird at points possibly) or, limit the maximum size of squads you can take?

IE: Tac, Assault and Breacher squads can never number more than 10, Elites Slot Units can only be taken in a 2:1 Ratio with Troops Selections?

Or, you could just bump the base cost of a unit, I guess :P

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Either up the cost per marine for your legion across the board (lots of bookkeeping and can get weird at points possibly) or, limit the maximum size of squads you can take?

IE: Tac, Assault and Breacher squads can never number more than 10, Elites Slot Units can only be taken in a 2:1 Ratio with Troops Selections?

Or, you could just bump the base cost of a unit, I guess tongue.png

That's actually an novel way of 'fixing' some of the issue and one I had never considered. I probably won't go quite as far as limiting to 10 man tacticals, but I think by limiting squad sizes to 15 I can get some of what I'm looking for. That combined with putting Twisted Brotherhood on things will increase the average cost of a marine from 12.5 to 14.67 with a maximised tactical squad and the minimum spent on Twisted Brotherhood (My legion limitation means spending at least 30 points including the base cost). I'm not sure I want to go too much further than that though, if only because I love the idea of the bigger squads you get during the heresy insurrection.

It does make me wonder about my Blacksouls though. Is there any real need for them if my whole army is going to be getting the Pariah/Twisted Brotherhood Rule? How would this addition to my Legion rules look:

• Units with the Legiones Astartes (Grave Stalkers) special rule may never have their squad size increased beyond 15 models. Additionally all non-vehicle units, and dreadnoughts, gain the Twisted Brotherhood special rule for +15 points. Troops units are restricted to spending a maximum of 20(more?) points on upgrades, rather than the normal amount.

My legion is going to be the absolute bane of any psykers/daemons, just because of the sheer number of dice it's going to have to stop psychic powers. :P Also with this I may need to remove my 3rd special character as he was a dreadnought with pariah abilities, nevermind it gives me more space for something more interesting.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels
Perhaps an Insurrection character?

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Well. Ajaway, my post K'awil legion commander is an Insurrection character as he wouldn't exist in the canon universe as the Grave Stalkers get wiped out with their Primarch.

At the moment I've got 2 possible ideas for my final character. I only want to do one to stick with the format we've decided on:

• A primus medicae/chaplain type. The leader of the Blood Hands/Master of Ceremonies, has a small morale/effectiveness boost for nearby Grave Stalkers as they attempt to catch his attention and prove themselves worthy of participating in the Ha'kun Ch'am and becoming Reapers.
  • A named Pariah consul. Probably the leader of the Blacksouls, likely the most powerful non-primarch pariah.

Not too sure, which to go with. I'm leaning slightly towards the first as I don't want to push too hard on the pariah theme and end up with no other characteristics. Being a legion of pariahs is cool, but just being known for having Pariahs seems less cool to me... Maybe not, anyway, thoughts on these two or other opinions are always welcome.

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts
Personally I'd go with the 1st for the same reason you want to. Leave it to another legion whose pariahness is less emphasised in their other units to have a pariah character
The Brotherhood of the Lost

Signature

The IIIrd legion, the Crimson Lions formerly known as the Blood Wolves. http://www.bolterand...-crimson-lions/

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

HA'BALAM                                                           165 POINTS

CHIEF APOTHECARY, HIGHEST OF THE BLOOD HANDS

WS       BS        S       T        W        I        A         LD       Sv
Ha'Balam                                   4           5         4       4         3        4        2         10        2+

Unit Composition

• 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Infantry (Character)

Wargear

• Artificer armor
  • Biologis Array
  • Refractor Field
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
  • The Breath of K'uhl

Special Rules

• Legiones Astartes (Grave Stalkers)
  • No Longer a Fighter
  • Independant Character

Biologis Array

Combines the effects of:

• Narthecium
  • 2x Needle Pistols
  • 2x Surgical Tools

Range       S         AP      Type
Surgical Tool                        -          5          5        Melee, Rending

The Breath of K'uhl

All units with the Legiones Astartes (Grave Stalkers) special rule within 6" of Ha'balam (including the bearer) have the Fearless and Preferred Enemy (Everything) special rules.

No Longer a Fighter

Ha'balam may never be the army's Warlord, unless he is the only Independant Character, even if he has the highest Leadership value in the army.

Edited by Grifftofer, 10 February 2016 - 03:18 PM.

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,860 posts
Master of Ceremonies?

Ha'balam?

Don't you mean MC Ba'balam, known as 'Black Betty'?
  • bluntblade likes this

Resources;

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Sorry for the delay in replying. The last couple of days have been (perhaps understandably) busy :P

Ha'balam is not officially master of ceremonies, though he does preside over some of the most important. The position of Master of Ceremonies is given to the most senior Chaplain in the Legion and was my thought for an alternative character.

No idea who this MC character is though. Ha'Balam is a combination of two mayan glyphs (probably put together in a horribly incorrect manner) that means "Water Jaguar", or something like that. Hopefully the combination of rules shows that he is something of an institution within the legion. His background is that he is the last Terran marine in the XVth and thus older than any other (All other Terrans having been forcibly indoctrinated into the Reaper Corps shortly after K'awil is found). The reason he is still around is due to his knowledge of the Grave Stalkers geneseed and his effective early training programs that helped form the basis for those of the Legiones Astartes. Due to this he hasn't seen too much action recently, hence his slightly atrophied stats in some areas.

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,860 posts
Whoa black betty, bambalam. Bmus points for putting him in a Caestus called 'jam', or 'spiderbait'.

Sorry wasn't clear ;) I like him.

Resources;

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grave Stalkers, Alternate Heresy, Brotherhood of the Lost

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users