Thanks for the support guys. Been building more and more Angels for the force, ones that I hope live up to the standard of conversion and kit bashing that I've so long admired in the Heresy collections I've seen on this very board. I certainly have the bits box for it. Let me know what you guys think!

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_169148.jpg

In the aftermath of the Battle of Signus Prime, many Blood Angels found themselves donning a patchwork of armor to replace pieces damaged beyond repair by the daemonic hordes. Purely as a matter of practicality, the Blood Angels repurposed the armor of the dead and integrated multiple different marks of power armor into their ranks. But the symbolism of the act did not go unnoticed by the Sons of Sanguinius. Whether they wished it or not, the dead of Signus and the weakness of that day would follow them into the Heresy... and onward.

Small update. Been painting my first squad over the past week. Here are four guys who have gone through basecoat, wash, touch ups, basing and are just about to get detailing. Hopefully I can get the whole squad up and running by the end of this weekend.

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_123848.jpg

Hey gang. In desperate need of some feedback. I've looked up half a dozen tutorials for painting fire and I think I came up with a good one... only to look down and be wildly disappointed with what I see. I need some feedback, advice, critiques, anything to get this fire effect better.

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_20218.jpg

The flames are actually really good, the trick to making fire look believable however is to have it give off a yellowed glow, like so:

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Night%20Lords%20II/1977366_10152702684803761_1077778513_n_zps073cfc26.jpg

The flames are actually really good, the trick to making fire look believable however is to have it give off a yellowed glow, like so:

Hmm. But was that done through a wash or a drybrush of yellow? I can't tell, personally. Might do that, but I am liking how it looks with a few yellow glazes and a black drybrush at the edge now. Still, I always appreciate more advice so keep the feedback coming!

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_131792.jpg

What is throwing it for me is the "white" where the flame meets the blade, will that be filled in with steel, flecked with black for sooting on the blade?

Ideally, it was supposed to look like the source of the flame, since the base of most painted flame is white. From white -> yellow -> orange -> red -> scarlet -> black. But you're saying it just looks unpainted?

Yeh the white is probably whats throwing it off, i can see what its getting at but at first glance it did look unpainted to me, maybe just use the yellow glaze on it, so it looks brighter but not white, id try out a few styles first though, with such a small thing you could easily ruin the model, i will pray to the dark gods to steady your hand :tongue.:

What kinda throws me off is that the blade seems to cleave through the flame, rather than being the source of it. The transition between the steel and fire seems too sudden here.

What color should I make the sword then? A light yellow might work for what you're talking about. 

Sorry for the late reply, the yellow glow was don by drybrushing orange and then yellow to simulate the color light the flames would be giving off.

Edit: You can see the yellow glow from the dude's sword in the gif, might help explain what I'm talking about

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/59300/3925615-0746600385-beric.gif

Edited by Brother Heinrich

Hmm... That's interesting Brother Heinrich. I will consider that, but I'm still undecided how much focus I want on the Praetor's sword instead of the Praetor himself. That said, I did wash the white with a yellow glaze and I am much happier with how it appears. I've done some more work on him and can see the finish line. Still to come: finial highlights, dotting his eyes, highlighting the metal, washing the right shoulder again (came out too shiny the first time), and freehanding his honors. Pics of progress below!

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_91316.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_279719.jpg

If you have a blue glaze, try and apply a VERY fine line around it at the base of the flames onto the actual sword itself?

just so that it can look closer to:

http://westwendovercity.com/resguide/images/flame.jpg

Though You don't really need to if you think it'll make the model too busy. But, the blue might add a subtle amount of Contrast to draw the eye in.

Edited by Slipstreams

If you have a blue glaze, try and apply a VERY fine line around it at the base of the flames onto the actual sword itself?

just so that it can look closer to:

http://westwendovercity.com/resguide/images/flame.jpg

Though You don't really need to if you think it'll make the model too busy. But, the blue might add a subtle amount of Contrast to draw the eye in.

That's an interesting idea... but at this point I'm wondering about the color of the blade itself.  As Skalpynock said:

What kinda throws me off is that the blade seems to cleave through the flame, rather than being the source of it. The transition between the steel and fire seems too sudden here.

So I've had that on my mind. Do I make his sword red and tie it in with my eventual (EVENTUAL) Sanguinius model? Or do I just say"it's Dark Age technology, just roll with it?"