Find any remnants of the new betrayers that remain in the system. Use whatever and whoever you need. Take them or destroy them as you must. Do it now, my son.” -Rogal Dorn, upon learning of the Massacre at Isstvan V

+++

Though Yartsev wore armor that bore markings of the 317th Grand Battalion of Iron Warriors, he only ever referred to his battalion as "The Gravel Eaters." They bore the name as both compliment and insult in equal measure. It had come from a particularly grueling campaign on some forgotten world at the edge of the Ghoul Stars, where they had dug their emplacements in the rough earth so fast that their allies remarked that they must have consumed the gravel beneath them rather than shoveling it.

Yartsev had responded with a remark about excreting bricks, which earned him the favor of everyone in the 317th who heard it.

But the siege ended and so did whatever good humor the Gravel Eaters possessed about their lot in the universe. They certainly hadn’t expected reassignment to the Sol Sector. Fortifying what few cities existed beneath Pluto's artificial atmosphere seemed like a thankless task and the Gravel Eaters hadn’t exactly relished rearguard duty. He remembered brawl after brawl between squads (the luster of Olympian discipline on full display). Better fighting lay well beyond the bounds of the Sol Sector. Proximity to the throne world meant nothing, either. What had the Emperor ever cared for them?

When they received new orders from Perturabo himself though, then things had gotten interesting. Suddenly the Gravel Eaters became the vanguard, tasked with establishing a foothold in the domain of the Emperor Himself. Treachery had proved kind to them. No more nagging from useless Engiseers who didn’t understand the importance of a sound bunker versus yet another edifice in praise of the Machine God. Even better, they had killed the few Imperial Fists who Rogal Dorn had insisted oversee their work on Pluto. The arrogance of him. The swill-swallowing coward.

They had dug themselves in for months, arrayed themselves for war in a way that might even make their temperamental primarch proud, and drilled until their post-human bodies sang in exhaustion.

So the fact that Sigismund had broken their lines within the first minutes of engagement came as something of a surprise.

They had assurances from Perturabo this would not happen. Their primarch said that any retribution coming for them would stay soundly on Terra after he crushed the Imperial Fists force bound for the Isstvan system. All that had fallen to shambles. Sigismund had come and brought the wrath of his father with him. Worse, he had brought a group of Imperial Fists that seemed as zealous as himself. Not just the idiots who stood in front of their damnable Temple of Oaths (Temple of Arse, more like), but every single legionnaire seemed a cut apart from the famous stoniness of the Imperial Fists. They roared their hate at the Iron Warriors for the oaths they had broken to the Emperor and then they bellowed their own dedication to the Iron Warriors’ eradication.

Before Yartsev could even reload his bolter for the first time in the fight, he took a kick to the head that sent his empty weapon flying and his form sprawling against the opposite side of the tench he had occupied. He felt a massive blade crash his ribcage and pin him to the wall of the trench. The Black Sword gleamed with light from nearby fires, its ebony surface as dark as the sky above.

“You will tell me where your Warsmith is, Iron Warrior.”

Yartsev tried to spit at the First Captain of the Imperial Fists, but the saliva didn’t leave his MK II helm. He simply shook his head in protest, the pain of his impalement driving the words from his mouth.

Sigismund tore his sword free and with a single swift stroke, split the Iron Warrior’s helm vertically.

“Damn traitors. Can’t even follow the orders of a superior officer now.”

+++

med_gallery_62495_8986_163610.jpg

And thus it begins. With the all-but-confirmed plastic Heresy set coming at us in the fall, I took the plunge. More accurately I put my foot in the water to gage the the temperature, but yeah. I'm in there.

So the idea for the force is to represent Sigismund and his brethren in the Age of Darkness, before the siege of Terra. These Fists are striking out across the Sol Sector on Dorn's orders and eliminating the remaining traitor legionnaires, like the Iron Warriors on Pluto (deployment I made up, happily accepting feedback on my Iron Warriors portrayal). I have some strong ideas about where Sigismund's character is at this point and how he starts thinking about the legions during this time. He isn't the first High Marshal yet. He isn't even the Emperor's Champion yet. But

Dorn has already disowned him
and that changes how he thinks.

Anyway, expect some construction in the future and maybe some paint in late August/early September (when I'm back in school).

Edited by Son of Carnelian

That took far too long, my Honour-Brother; but, we welcome you with open, grasping arms.

Welcome the The Ship. Welcome to The Crew.

:wink:

(Seriously, though, Totally psyched to see what you got planned, man. )

That means a great deal coming from one of the Masters of Heresy himself. I hope I do you proud. I would love any feedback you have on my portrayal of the Iron Warriors in the blurb up top. I tried making them... Olympian would be the best word I guess. 

So I land at college for my senior year and what do I do on my first night back? Make Space Marines, of course. Fluff later, when I'm not so jet lagged.

med_gallery_62495_8986_308168.jpgmed_gallery_62495_8986_681756.jpgmed_gallery_62495_8986_274117.jpg

This kit caused me so much grief. The arms are beyond weird in their placement and how the shoulder pads fit on. I had to carve away a big chunk of the sculpted base detail so that it would stand right, hence the plasticard under it. Then one of the backpack exhausts broke, so I preformed some battlefield repairs (I'm writing it as a prototype power pack saved in Sigismund's mission to Mars). Fairly happy with the sword but I'm not sold yet. The whole thing just doesn't come together like I pictured, unlike the next guy.

med_gallery_62495_8986_54926.jpgmed_gallery_62495_8986_94101.jpg

Now that's a Templar. He came together way better than I pictured. I know I still need to carve off some mold lines but I'm overall quite pleased with him. I would have preferred to have pinned the shield hand to the arm for increased durability but the angle of the wrist doesn't allow it. Torso remains unglued to legs for painting purposes.

Thoughts?

That Templar is pretty nice so far :thumbsup:  - will you paint him black or yellow?^^

OH NO! Atia, you asked the question. The question for which I have a huge essay written! I'll give you the short version. 

I my mind, the Templars wore yellow until Sigismund becomes the Emperor's Champion. An often forgotten detail in the Templars' background is that the black and white Templar colors are Sigismund's personal heraldry. So we know for a fact he doesn't wear black until the Siege of Terra, thanks to book descriptions and the cover of Templar by John French. So why would his whole company but him wear his personal heraldry? Especially when it's been established in the background that wearing the black is a HUGE deal. It marks you out as serving in the sight of the Emperor. 

The Templars will wear the gold of the sons of Dorn. On this, you can count. (But they will still have the Templar icon on their armor.)

can you still buy that GW templar upgrade set I haven't seen one in a long time

Yes: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Black-Templars-Chapter-Upgrade

It just takes some searching to find, since it's listed as infantry.

Mind you, that is on the US site.

Edited by Peredyne

• 2 weeks later...

So I made some progress...

+++

med_gallery_62495_8986_61780.jpg

Very proud of how I fixed the MK II Apothecary AND tied him in with the Templars he will accompany.

med_gallery_62495_8986_88051.jpg

Test model on the right. Will likely become a Tactical Sergeant.

med_gallery_62495_8986_1831573.jpg

(Had an extra Imperial Fists Command body because of a miscast. He lives on as a Templar.)

+++

And then I tried painting them.

Uh, it was WAY too humid to be spray painting today. I thought being indoors would effective null the effects of it, but nothing you can do in the Iowa summer heat. SO. These guys will be taking a Simple Green bath in the future, but I'm gonna focus on my Crimson Lords for now. Thanks for looking guys and let me hear any feedback you have.

Looking good. I'm liking the variety of plastic parts you used to make your Templars. I spy Grey Knight swords and legs, Van Vets shields, legs and sword, company champion body and assault squad power fist.

Is that a World Eater head on the 4th guy? It somehow suits him.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Looking good. I'm liking the variety of plastic parts you used to make your Templars. I spy Grey Knight swords and legs, Van Vets shields, legs and sword, company champion body and assault squad power fist.

Is that a World Eater head on the 4th guy? It somehow suits him.

Thanks for noticing man! I'm not too taken with Forge World's upgrade kit, so I just smashed together a bunch of my favorite plastic kits. 

The head on the fourth guy actually comes from the Maximini Steam Knights upgrade set. A bunch of nice pre-Heresy heads in there. 

No problem. I meant to compliment you on your fluff. Your Iron Warriors sound pretty awesome. The Gravel Eaters is a great name, that really suits the IVth. Did it take you long to come up with? I'm currently struggling with a nickname for my lads. Toying with either the Soil Kings or the Gravel Kings, but I wasn't sure if the latter steps on your toes a bit.

Dallo

No problem. I meant to compliment you on your fluff. Your Iron Warriors sound pretty awesome. The Gravel Eaters is a great name, that really suits the IVth. Did it take you long to come up with? I'm currently struggling with a nickname for my lads. Toying with either the Soil Kings or the Gravel Kings, but I wasn't sure if the latter steps on your toes a bit.

Dallo

I'm terribly gratified that you liked the background. It went through a bunch of drafts before I felt confidant enough to post it. But I'll be perfectly honest, the name Gravel Eaters came to me fairly quickly. I just came up with that name for them for this story. I'll (likely) never start an Iron Warriors force, just because of what I like in the armies I play. Feel free and use them or use the name Gravel Kings to your heart's content! It doesn't step on my toes at all. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with, no matter what.  

these guys are awesome nice job can u give a bits breakdown

From right to left and top to bottom: 

MKIV Apothecary: Out of the box, no conversion. 

MK II Apothecary: Right hand removed, replaced with flat hand from Sternguard plastics. Backpack modified with exhausts from tactical backpack. Sheathed sword from Black Templar upgrade sprue. 

Right Templar: Sword, legs, and arm from Grey Knights Strike Squad plastics. Head from Sevrin Loth and Command Squad set from Forge World. Body from Black Templar upgrade sprue. Backpack from MKIII Despoiler squad. Shield from Vanguard Veteran plastic kit. 

2nd Row Left: Head from Maximini Steam Knights. Shield from Vanguard Veteran plastic kit. Backpack and legs from MKIII Despoiler Squad. Sword from Grey Knights Strike Squad plastics. Body from the Command Squad plastics. 

2nd Row Middle: Backpack and legs from MKIII Despoiler Squad. Head from Grey Knights Strike Squad plastics. Body from Black Templar upgrade sprue. Power fist from the old Assault Squad kit.  Shield from Vanguard Veteran plastic kit. 

2nd Row Right: Sternguard shoulders, Head from vanguard Veterans, bolt pistol from MKIII Despoiler Squad, power fist from MKIII weapon kit from Forge World, everything else from the Tactical box. 

3rd Row Left: Head, sword, and legs from the Grey Knights Strike Squad. Body from Black Templar upgrade sprue. Shield from Vanguard Veterans. 

3rd Row Middle: Head from Severin Loth and Command Squad. Body and backpack from Imperial Fists Command kit from Forge World. Sword and shield from Vanguard Veterans. 

3rd Row Right: Legs and shield from Vanguard Veterans. Head and body from Black Templar upgrade sprue. Sword from Grey Knights Strike Squad. Backpack from Imperial Fists Command. 

Phew! All shoulders (unless otherwise noted) are MKIII Imperial Fists shoulders from Forge World. Hope this helps!