Brief introduction to Arthus Plantaganus

Lord Marshal Arthus Plantegus sighed and sat back. In front of him was a page of genuine paper, not a data slate. For his own writings, the Codexa Militus, he preferred to use a pen and paper. Old fashioned certainly but it had served humanity well enough for thousands of years and he saw no reason why that would change. He had been writing down various doctrines he had encountered on worlds across the galaxy. While he didn't believe in many of them, all deserved to be recorded for posterity. However, many were fundamentally out of touch with the realities of modern warfare, where the deciding factor was strategic application of raw firepower, be it small arms or artillery. Running his hand through his greying hair, Arthus stood up and looked out of the viewing port of his personal chambers on his flagship, the Dominus Astra. Below him was the world of Tauros. He was only here in person to ensure that the Feudal level savages of the world obeyed the Imperial Tithe and raised the necessery regiments to augment his expedition. Normally he wouldn't bother coming personally however, these were not normal circumstances. The Emperor had ordered that he head for the Qarith system with all available troops. Already, four Space Marine Legions had beem drawn into the fighting on Qarith Prime. If these creatures deserved such legion attention, Throne knew how many Imperial Army troops would be required. As Arthus looked down on the world where thousands of men were preparing to set off for certain death in the stars, he felt his shoulders sag under the weight of his responsibilities. He was tired. So very tired. In that moment, all he wished was to visit his sons on Terra and never leave. Then, he caught his feelings and locked them away. He had no use for such things, when his desicions ruled the fates of countless billions. Steeling himself, he went about his duties once more. Soon it will end he told himself. Soon the bloodshed and warfare will be done. Soon.

He would also oversee Munitorum Activities going on and pertaining to the Segmentum, I feel.

Yes, oversee, but I don't think he should have direct control.

But yes, that's a good long list of pompous titles fit for a Lord High Marshal of the Imperial Army :biggrin.: I'll add him to the first post, and link to your first post about him when it's done.

EDIT: didn't see the second page X)

Edited by Lord Thørn

A brief history of Arthur Plantagus' service in the Imperial Army. 

Born the third son of a wealthy noble from Albyon on Terra, Arthur Plantagus grew to adulthood with the knowledge that he would inherit little from his father, with the lions share of the inheritance going to his older brothers. Therefore, he resolved to join the Imperial Army as soon as he was able and make his way in the world through that. However, to the confusion and surprise of much of his family, he refused to allow his father to buy him a commission as an officer, instead insisting that he must earn the rank first. So it was that at the age of 18, Arthur Plantagus ran away from his wealthy upbringing and enlisted as a trooper in the 63rd Albyonic Lancers. However, he soon, rather suspiciously, rose rapidly through the ranks to become Colonel of the regiment by the time he was 24. Luckily for the troops under his command, he was an extremely gifted strategist who, due to having first enlisted as a standard trooper, cared for the men under his command and always led from the front. Within 3 years of his promotion to colenol, following his brilliant flanking maneuver at the battle of Jorass he was promoted to Major-Colenol, with command over the Imperial Army attached to the 903rd Expeditionary fleet. For nearly a decade he commanded this force with all the bravery, tactical brilliance and popularity among his troops as he had his regiment. Seeing in Arthur a talented young officer on the make, Lord High Marshal Shliefar soon took Arthur under his wing, grooming him to become the next Lord High Marshal. 

Arthur soon proved himself in this role too, leading campaign after campaign to a successful conclusion. However, this exemplary record couldn't last forever. At the siege of Liox, Arthur led an army in a bloody and ultimately futile attempt to break through the outer defences of the Liox system. Many times, the Imperial Army sent wave after wave of men to their deaths in diversionary actions in attempts to draw off enemy forces and weaken the enemy main line sufficiently for a breakthrough. However, after each successive attack failed, the body count rose. Eventually, it took the astartes of the Crimson Lions to break the deadlock, a task they accomplished in under a month. It is said that upon hearing this, Arthur broke down in tears, unable to bear what he felt to be a catastrophic failure. However, where he saw only failure, many saw that he had accomplished an astonishing feat in that all the soldiers who had died in diversionary actions had done so willingly, cheering Arthur Plantagus' name. The primarch of the Crimson Lions, Hectarion Mycenor, is said to have told Arthur "Never have I seen the like. These men went to their deaths. And they did so willingly, because they believed in you. Now lock away your misery. I have no use for it. Prove that these mens trust was well placed".

Following the Siege of Liox, Arthur Plantagus drove both himself and his army harder, conquering more worlds in the name of the Imperium than any other Imperial General of this time, save the mighty primarchs. When his mentor, Shliefar, died, Arthur Plantagus took over command of the Segmentum Solar, commanding it with as much energy and determination as he had commanded his previous army. Across the Segmentum it was not uncommon for Imperial Army regiments to shout "For the Marshal" instead of "For the Emperor". So it came that Arthur Plantagus is what he is today, the 56 year old Lord High Marshal of the Segmentum Solar and one of the most lauded human generals of the Great Crusade.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

as I really like the whole botl project, I started to read through all threads. :)

Now that I found this, I would like to join the council. If it's ok, I would go with the Knight Houses.

An imperial army comander would be fine as well but to be honest, I rather prefer the Knights. :)

Hey guys,

as I really like the whole botl project, I started to read through all threads. :)

Now that I found this, I would like to join the council. If it's ok, I would go with the Knight Houses.

An imperial army comander would be fine as well but to be honest, I rather prefer the Knights. :)

Welcome to actually entering this project ;)

I would say with the knight houses, the things you write about the houses, make it just the main knight houses and a few you made up yourself. Limit it to just that, as a few legions/mechanicum factions have their own specific allied houses (Like the God Walkers are allied to the Cognis and the Eagle Warriors)

Cant wait to see what you write :)

woah Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yeah, I'll just write fluff. So I have to post in Armies of the Machine God although I'll work on imperial alligned Houses?

Btw do I have to create several houses right away or can I start with my represenative's house and create some additional later on? What about the canon houses? A I allowed to use them as well as there is nearly nothing known about them during the GC?

Hey ho. Welcom3 in the project ;)

I would say: start small and then aim for the big part. But have the great plan in the back of your mind then all willbe well.

And I would say: Imperial Knight Order can have its own thread

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

A coalition is one of the things I hat in mind. Right now I got 4 different "houses" in mind with one rather being a crusade than a house with guard troops, etc. :)

A coalition is one of the things I hat in mind. Right now I got 4 different "houses" in mind with one rather being a crusade than a house with guard troops, etc. :smile.:

How do you mean a Knight crusade ? Knight Houses already have household troops, that are sometimes better equipped even then the Imperial Army

oh do they? Must have missen this fact. As it seems, I need to read hhb 4 + 5 again.

Had a fanatic coalition consisting of several knights of different houses + Guard troops in mind. Like big, metal black templars but even more obsessed with the superiority and purity of mankind rather than worshipping the Emperor. Something like that.

I'll start a thread later on where I will post my initial thoughts. :)

oh do they? Must have missen this fact. As it seems, I need to read hhb 4 + 5 again.

Had a fanatic coalition consisting of several knights of different houses + Guard troops in mind. Like big, metal black templars but even more obsessed with the superiority and purity of mankind rather than worshipping the Emperor. Something like that.

I'll start a thread later on where I will post my initial thoughts. :smile.:

So when you say several knights from different houses do you mean freeblades ?

When you say Guard troops do you mean the equivalent of Imperial Guard or something else ?

And since this is a Heresy variant, there isn't such a thing as worship of the Emperor yet...

This is an intriguing idea, I'd definitely like to see what comes from it.

• 2 years later...