IL XVI - The Drowned

Hesh Kadesh

8320fdb11211c3f45648393b30f991f2.jpg

XVI; The Drowned

Scions of the Impure Prince, Lanterns in the Darkness, Horrorhearts, Copper Jawed Reapers

Numeration: XVIth Legion

Primogenitor: Sorrowsworn Morro

Cognomen Prior: "Lanterns in the Darkness", or more casually "The Lanterns" became a term for many of the tendril fleets attached to the various legions prior to the finding of their Primarch. After, they took on a more morbid aspect. However, "The Drowned" have never officially taken a name for themselves, "The Drowned", or "The Drowned Men" being adopted informally by the Legion and it's Primarch. Fighting alongside the Ghost Walkers they earned the name the Copper Jawed Reapers in their tribal 

Observed Strategic Tendencies: Combined Orbital Assaults and Subterranean Assaults, Marine, Submarine, Void and other 3-Dimensional Theatres, Tactical and Strategical Suffocation, Ambush Tactics, Brutal Pacifications, Decimation and Punitive Campaigns

Noteworthy Domains: Few. Sorrowsworn Morro's Gas Giant homeworld of Styx and its 8 satellites form much of the post-Discovery legions training grounds, but the legion frequently "harvests" or "reaps" the potential candidates from reconquered human planets.

Through me you pass into the City of Woe;
Through me you pass into eternal pain;
Through me among the people lost for aye;

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd;
To rear me was the task of power divine;
Supremest wisdom and primeval love;

Before me things create were none; save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure;
All hope abandon, all ye who enter here...

- Childrens poem, found in Sorrowsworn Morro's old room in the Orphanage on Styx.

- Author's note; Thought to be scraps of an old terran poem-allegory, dated 2nd Millenium. Attributed to "Dante the Allegory" (Allogerical?)

WIP

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=20707A&bpj=BD7044&bp=20707A&bpc=20707A&hdt=BD7044&hdm=20707A&hdl=BD7044&ey=DBDBDB&er=BD7044&pi=BD7044&nk=20707A&ch=20707A&eg=BD7044&sk=BD7044&abs=20707A&bt=BD7044&cod=20707A&ull=20707A&lk=20707A&lll=20707A&lft=20707A&url=20707A&rk=20707A&lrl=20707A&rft=20707A&slt=BD7044&sli=20707A&srt=BD7044&sri=20707A&ula=20707A&lel=20707A&lla=20707A&lw=20707A&lh=20707A&ura=20707A&rel=20707A&rla=20707A&rw=20707A&rh=20707A&bg=042138&rb=BD7044&gr=849998&wg=true&be=BBBBCC&cloak=1A573F&dm3=true&loin=1A573F&pws=true&spl1=533B1C&spr1=533B1C&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C&/spacemarine.jpg

- Tidemaker Renno, 7th Tendril, Subterranean Assault Shoalmaster

Edited by Lord Thørn

I think it's a pretty damn cool idea. I've always wanted to use a Kraken symbol for my knight detachment I've been wanting to get :) I think it would've been funny to put their motto as "We don't sow"

Also, I'm glad our legions are BBBFs (Best Battle Brothers Forever). The horror of war is understood by those who wage it. May it be swift and brutal so that it may be over quickly and deter future enemies from their course of action.

...I'm smelling a joint crusade campaign between our legions brother. Shall we make dark and binding pacts to stand together underneath the umbrage of any world?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that link! Those are incredible. I'm not normally a fan of puppetswar aesthetics, but that octagonal appearance is brilliant.

I shall be updating this with a few things written on the forum yet for them, as well as clarifying a few things if people have some questions. Expect combinations of wipeout, madmax, the abyss, darksiders and dishonored for the background of the legion and Styx, Morro's homeworld. Does anyway ne know how to embed videos, if at all possible?

As for units; a Terminator unit with Rotor Cannons, Havoc Launchers and Chainfists, with upgrades to make them into Assault Cannons and/or Cyclones with a Deep Strike option, an Assault Squad with Boarding Shields, Lascutters, with options for Thunder Hammers, and finally a Gal Vorbak style Daemon unit with some options for Dark Eldar weaponry, while one of the special characters, Corvo is a knife wielding snark machine with a penchant for teleporting and stopping time.

So, first unit, please excuse the formatting;

(HQ) Pelagic Monarchs = 250

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

5 4 4 4 2 5 2 9 2+

5 4 4 4 2 5 3 9 2+

Unit Type; Jump Infantry/Jump Infantry (Character) for the Ayatollah

Unit Size; 1 Ayatollah of the Abyss, 4 Pelagic Monarchs

Wargear;

Hardened Artificer Armour

Frag and Krak Grenades

Pelagic Voulge

Boarding Shield

Jump Pack

Paragon Blade (Ayatollah of the Abyss only)

Special Rules

Legiones Astartes (The Drowned)

Fearless

Chosen Warriors

Titan Hunters

Options;

May take another 5 Pelagic Monarchs for 35pts each

Any model may replace their Pelagic Voulge with a Thunder Hammer for +5pts each

The entire squad may replace their boarding shield with an Abyssal pattern Storm Shield (+100pts for the entire squad).

The Ayatollah of the Abyss may take a single Vortex Grenade for +50pts

Wargear; Pelagic Voulge

These immense dual pronged war-forks are more of an ornate ritual weapon, tooled and machined to be much more lethal than their ornamental appearance suggests. Normally, these weapons give off rippling actinic lightning between the forks, but when focused by the wielder taking the stance with both hands, they can form a lance of energy which can cut through even the toughest of armour, ripping through Titans, or even a meter’s thick void craft’s hull.

Pelagic Voulge are Master-crafted Power Spears. In addition, any model equipped may elect to overpower them, and treat them as Lascutters for all intents and purposes. If used in this manner, they lose the Master-crafted special rule, and gain Armourbane instead. may elect to overpower them, and treat them as Lascutters for all intents and purposes. If used in this manner, they lose the Master-crafted special rule, and gain Armourbane instead.

Wargear; Abyssal Pattern Storm Shields

These shields were gifts from the Mechanicum Abyssii, encountered by a tendril fleet scouting for the Wardens of Light during the early days of the crusade. These immense slabs of metal were round, in the manner of the ancient terran Hoplon shields, and contain powerful force fields.

As per Vigil Pattern Storm shileds

Titan Hunters; When a jump infantry model in a unit containing one or more models with this special rule is removed from play by a Gargantuan creature or Super Heavy Walker’s stomp attack, it may take an Initiative check. If passed, they take a Strength 6 AP4 hit instead. If failed, then the model is removed from play as normal. In addition, all rolls to hit by models with this special rule in melee against Gargantuan Creatures and Super Heavy Walkers always use their profile weapon skill, regardless of special rules like Towering Monstrosity, Fear or Cumbersome.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

• 2 weeks later...

Hennasohn; 'Poltergheist', 'Designation Omega', The Old Man

*FLUFF TO COME*

Ws Bs S T W I A Ld Sv

4 7 4 4 4 4 2 10 2+

Unit Size; 1 (Unique)

Unit Type; Infantry (Character)

Weapons and Equipment;

- Artificer Armour

- Frag and Krak Grenades

- 2 Archaeotech Pistols

- Grav-Wave Generator

- Netheramber Torc

- Trophy Blades

Special Rules

- Legiones Astartes (The Drowned)

- Preternatural Shot

- Warlord; Hymns of Misery

- Jealous Command

- Fearless

- Poltergheist

- Psychic Power; Tidesight

Netheramber Torc; Provides a 5++ Invulnerable Save, Eternal Warrior, and a Psychic Hood. The wearer amd his unit gain the Interceptor special rule, but may only make Snap Shots if they do so.

Trophy Blades

Range; -, Strength; As User; AP: 2; Special; Melee, Master Parry, Ghost Razor

Preternatural Shot; has the Chainfire and Precision Shot special rules

Hymns of Misery; Walord trait; all terrain (even open) terrain is considered to be both difficult and dangerous terrain within 6" of Hennasohn

Poltergheist; Hennasohn is a psyker (Mastery 3), rerolls one failed Psychic Test per phase for a Telekinesis power, and may select any 3 powers from the Telekinesis discipline rather than generating them normally. He does not automatically gain the Primaris Discipline. In addition, he may add the difference between his Mastery level and that of the highest mastery level of any enemy within 6" of him to his Weapon Skill, Strength, Initiative and Attack values (to a minimum of 0).

Tidesight (WC; 3)

This functions like Foreboding in all circumatances, with the exception that all Snap Shots may be fired with full Ballistic Skill

Okay wow, he is one STRONG ruleset.

A moritat with archeotech pistols, a grave wave generator AND is a psyker? thats REALLY strong and way OP in my mind, lose out on some stuff on him, he will decimate any power armored unit he even looks at.

I really like the idea of him. The poltergeist theme is nice and strong. Having said that my main issue with him is that he has Primarch level power whenever he is not within 6" of say Lorgar (or other appropriately powerful psyker). I mean WS, S and I 7 with A 5 on someone who can hit at AP2, but isn't a Primarch is pretty insane. I think that as he is he'd be somewhere in the 300 point region, though I strongly suggest making some changes to bring him more in line with other high level commanders.

Having said that, I so want to know more about him, so I look forward to his fluff. Also what do Ghost Razor and Master Parry on his weapon do? I'd like to know before I make adjustment suggestions.

Yeah, he's strong. Always good to go in at the deep end, and work backwards, I think. :) That way, I can put down the theme that I like to incorporate.

So, the theme is that he was the last of the original 24 Astartes implanted with Morro's Geneseed during the initial testing purposes. He saw the legion during it's initial proto-legion. He was rarely one of the best commanders, or fighters, instead prioritising the legion's observational techniques. That he was an excellent shot helped, because it meant he stays well out of reach. Despite the desire to rush in, the legions primary tactic was to observe for a while, getting their assets in place, before attacking with all arms at once, overwhelming the enemy, typically engaging with close assault units to hold enemy units in place, paralyzing them while the legions heaviest assets head straight for the enemies strongest threats.

His stand-off nature meant he was more perfectly placed than other early NCO's to act as a commander, and with the pragmatism of the legion, deferred to his command. This increasingly kept him out of the fighting however, and wasn't as developed as a combatant. The training cadre among the Custodes and other legions who trained the initial recruits deferred his training as a Psyker, teaching him only to control his power. The legions traits for pragmatism and experimentation came to the fore, adapting quickly to circumstances that changed, although frequently retreating to make yet more observations, before re-engaging with full force again.

When the legion came to be deployed in support of the Legiones Astartes, the XVIth Legion was not deployed in vast starfleets as the others had been, but instead were allocated on to the legions on a company level basis, acting as pathfinders. The Legion was ordered to be split into a total of 20 different scout fleets. Rather than leave the command of each to a single commander, who with the split background of the legion's members, and the independence of the geneseed, normally a benefit, it was deemed a risk; the Pelagic Monarchs were created as a result out of the best and brightest of the legion to form a command cadre who would put forward ideas on how to implement the orders of their fleets, which the nominated Ayatollah's would make decisions based on those options provided by the Pelagic Monarchs. The irony of the "Monarchs" working to decide legion strategy by democracy was not lost, and thought to be intentional by some of the critics of the legion even prior to the Insurrection, an identiier of their perversity already extent.

These Ayatollah's would not normally be able to put forward ideas for tactics; only choosing which tactic to go forward, acting as some form of "swarm" ideology, as the Monarchs would be influenced by the tacticians within the ranks and their own experiences.  Such a system was used in an attempt to keep the individualisic and adaptive nature of the Astartes from becoming too independent of thought to the extent it was detrimental. After nearly 7 years of combat, and continual recruitment, the legion was considered fully operational, and in need of a dedicated command component; granted the first of the Legiones eventual three Gloriana class vessels, the Trieste, the largest conglomeration of XVIth forces broke off from the Void Eagles, and needing a figurehead with experience to become a true commander, the experiences shown by Hennasohn, or "Omega" as he was known meant he took charge of the legion assets. He was now nominally on an equal footing with the 4 Primarch's already discovered, in terms of operation capacity.

Granted a pair of rare weapons more suited to his role as a backline officer, the paired triple-chambered long barrelled pistols were weapons taken from the Emperor's own trophy rooms. The weapons could "print" their own ammunition, using a form of minute three dimensional printers so that he would never run out of ammunition while he was able to draw power from his backpack. In turn, he learned how to super charge them, but they would often rapidly get to super heated temperatures, causing flare outs and accidental discharges when fired for prolonged periods.

And so he was equipped, joining the fleets in the stars with pistols in hand, executing the enemies of the imperium one shot at a time. Things were going well, until he was attached to a Thousand Sons Fleet; it was here that his latent psychic powers were unlocked to their full potential where he was discovered to be a Telekine of immense power and potential. Commentary of the time noted that although the Thousand Sons found his otherwise dour demeanour lifting when he was able to manipulate items with thought alone, they soon found it tiresome when he would lift things without their noticing off of their own person. Under tutelage by an Azhek Ahriman, and it is said even a gift of a Prosperine Khopesh, psi-forged rods of cold iron and a solar emerald creating a weapon that was known as the "Koftis Nima"; or "Thread Cutter", a blade so sharp it could tear through the veil. 

After leaving the Thousand Sons with his newfound powers after notice of the discovery of Morro, he takes his legion to meet his new Primarch. It is there that he meets his "father", and the two are impressed. In the manner of Styx, the Primarch pays for passage aboard the 16th legion's ships, this time with a Torc of oxidised copper, surrounding a poorly cut and heavily scratched gemstone of smoky grey. It is unknown if Morro knew of its true ability, for it was otherwise a poor gift, but in reality, it was a piece of Netheramber, a substance that flowed like treacle when the Sea-Between breached the material realms. Normally disappearing into the aethyr once more, this knuckle sized piece of amber had been around since the so-called "First Dusk", the time that at the very same moment that psychic ability awoke in the human realms. Awakening a sense of foreknowledge within his mind, Hennasohn is yet to take the neckpiece off.

With the arrival of Morro at the legion head, Hennasohn began to defer, but Morro rather let his legion commander take control still, keeping in place the existing practises, instead keeping mostly to himself. The initial relationships were frosty, due to Morro's relationship on Styx prior to his discovery with the Eldar slavers, and Morro hardly worked on improving things, instead encouraging the use of xenos equipment.

Rather than utilising them in the normal fashion, Hennasohn never touched the xeno weapons by hand, instead using them with his mind.

[Ran out of time, needs editing obviously]

Hmm.

In regards to hitting like a Primarch, it's a fair point based on the current Legion meta using the canonverse. In one in which Psykers (and Pariahs, I forgot to make inclusion for their effects), with the numbers running around (we have Librarians available in the same manner as Apothecaries, Legions counting as Psyker 1's for these purposes, more Psyker heavy legions and hopefully, the inclusion of more Librarians in the meta as a result. Fighting Psyker 1's brings him to 4 WS6 S6 I6 which while still good isn't 5 WS7 S7 Attacks. Ghost Razor is the ability on the Mhara Gal Dreadnought to force rerolls of successful Invulnerable Saves. Again, powerful, but Sigismund has that, WS7 AND Instant Death. 

Master Parry is the effect of the Lucid Blade, trading attacks for Invulnerable Saves. The biggest problem with that is that I can get a 2++, sacrificing 3 attacks. With 2 attacks base, anything that's not Psyker 2 or better won't have a chance of causing a wound. I'm thinking about changing that his Invulnerable Save to a 5++ versus shooting only? That way, he can get only get a 2++ if he charges a non-psyker, and sacrifices all but one of his attacks to get a 2++. His lone return attack would be WS7, S7 I7 AP2 Ghost Razor and in the next turn the save would drop to 3++, but that's fine. Unless he joins either a Destroyer Squad which is naff in combat, or a Forge Lord with a Rad Nade joins his squad, he's not Instant Killing any astartes.

Add to Preternatural Shot the Gets Hot special rule when he chainfires, and that's not too bad.

Points wise; 

Praetor, Burning Lore, 2 Mastery Levels, Spell Familiar, 2 Archaeotech Pistols, Grav Wave Generator, ~70% Moritat, Eternal Warrior, Psychic Hood = 295pts

5++ Shooting only is half a Refractor, Hymns of Misery is like a super Grav Wave, so double that cost, Precision Shots is nigh worthless. Tidesight, about 20pts, Fearless is about 20pts too.

Maybe 340 as he stands?

In regards to killing power armour;

Hit on 2's, single reroll on a 2+ means that you'll hit around 97% of the time until you use the first reroll, and around 86% of the time you use the second, with a 3% chance of wounding. That averages at a 91% accuracy with each weapon, so 18 hits, and 15 wounds. If there's no Sergeant to take the hits on his 2+ (reducing damage to only 10 wounds) or Apothecary (again, reducing damage to only 5 wounds as a result of saves, and reduced further to maybe 4 wounds as a result of Feel No Pain), then sure. It's going to destroy Power Armour. But then again, so will a similar cost of a Typhon, from longer range, and irregardless of Cover.

Hennasohn will get a charge, likely, unless something is able to get right in his grill, because anywhere between -3 and -5" is being taken off opponents charge unless Move Through Cover is attacking him (plus he can overwatch at full BS). However, he can't assault immediately after Chain fire, and his units firepower is kind of wasted if he elects to chainfire; so you're left with a dilemna; a 4 wound 2+/5++ model without FNP or IWND on his own in the middle of an enemy line, or one in a squad that either has their ability to shoot or their ability to assault wasted.

It's not AS bad as it initially looks, plus a possible meta change. He's powerful; but I'm intending him to be.

Put him up against Sigismund; on the flat, they're hitting each other on a 4+, wounding on a 2+. H goes first, and has an additional attack, both reroll Invulnerable Saves, but H has no save unless he Parries, Sigi a 4++.

H = 50% Hit chance, 83% wound chance, 75% chance of bypassing Inv = 31.25% chance of wounding, 5 attacks = 1.5625 wounds caused

S = 50% Hit chance, 83% wound chance, 100% chance of bypassing Inv = 41.66% chance of wounding, 4 attacks = 1.66 wounds caused

Every time that H tries to increase his save, he drops a 31.25% chance of causing a wound; even at the lowest non charging circumstance, Sigi is putting out a 23% chance towound with 4 attacks versus a 3++ forced reroll as opposed to a 31.25% with a single attack versus a 4++ reroll. 

H also costs 120pts more. You know what else costs 120pts? A Librarian Mastery 2 (Costs 115, to be honest, enjoy your meltabomb). Keep it within 6", and bosh, H is reduced to a snivelling Centurion Fighter with a Paragon Blade trading Ghost Razor for the Murderous Strike, not to mention the buffs available; such as Prescience). 

As for mincing MEQ? Doesn't anything interesting do that already? Typhon, Plasma/Melta Preds/Deredeos, etc.

_______

Tactics for use; I'm not sure on what unit to run him around with. Without a Jump Pack, Pelagic Monarchs are out of the question. 

Breacher Squads is what I see them best at, or maybe Terminators. A Squad of Terminators gives a further 5++ or even 4++ Save if needed, can be Levitated out of range, and allow for a full BS plasma overwatch, but that's semi expensive for a single shooting phase; Breachers don't get Plasma, but a full BS overwatch followed by a Counter Attack

Incidentally, this is kind of how I see him using his Trophy Blades; a collection of blades stolen from the corpses of dead xenos.

Now he makes a bit more sense, and his very hefty price balances him a bit, I cant help but feel that this is a VERY special snowflake, and seeing as you strongly discourage others to make special snowflake characters, I am just surprised you made this character.

340 points would be a fair price, especially seeing as to what I can bring to the table for those points.

I definitely agree that 340 points is fair for his abilities, and compared to other options in that price range he may be relatively underpowered (I hesitate to use that word in relation to him, but it's the only one I can think of that fits right now). However, being at that price point means that he is seriously close to the lower end Primarchs in terms of broad capability. My concern is whether this is something that breaks with the setting in terms of Primarch supposedly being of a greater order than Marines, unless chaos empowered/ other deus ex machina. Should we be keeping that power gap for thematic reasons rather than filling the space with our own creations? I don't want to say one way or the other, just to point this out so people can think about it.

Onto his actual abilities:

• Your fluff implies that he stays back and out of the main fighting as befits a commander. But if anything his equipment/rules require you to put him into the thick of the action. It seems to me that the Vigilator consul would fit better than the Moritat one. This is due to the way you describe him as preferring to observe before committing to battle and then withdrawing where necessary. It makes him feel more cerebral than most moritats who go in and shoot things till they're dead.
  • His psychic hood, is there any specific reason for him to have this? I ask as they do not seem to be standard issue during the heresy (according to the FW books at least) and it doesn't feel as though it is a particular part of his personality to protect those around him from enemy psykers.
  • The way that Poltergeist is written implies to me that he is using his psychic powers to enhance himself in battle (please correct me if I'm wrong). Based on that might it be possible for that to be a trade off with his normal psychic abilities? By which I mean if he 'activates' his self-buffs then he can't use his other psychic powers in that turn. Maybe something like this?:
  • At the beginning of any friendly turn Hennasohn may chose to activate his Poltergeist ability. If he does so then he gains +X* to his WS, S, I & A until the beginning of the next friendly turn. However, whilst he is a 'poltergeist' he does not generate Warp Charges for the pool and cannot manifest any psychic powers, he's too busy concentrating! *X is equal to 3 - the highest Mastery Level of any psyker/pariah within 6" of Henasohn (to a minimum of 0).