Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astra Militarum: 2k of I don't know what I'm doing

2000 pts Astra Militarum 2000 pts Catachan

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

This is for a potential future project and thus, it's my first time writing a list for this Faction. The theme is a feral/backwater army with the occasional archaic relic.

Combined Arms Detachment

Ministorum Priest

Primaris Psyker

~ Mastery level 2

~~ Power undecided...

Company Command Squad

~~ Carapace armour, krak grenades

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi-pack

~~ Vox caster

~~ Regimental standard

* Commissar

~~ Bolt pistol, power sword
* Company Commander

~~ Melta bombs, power sword, bolt pistol
* Nork Deddog
* Officer of the Fleet

Ogryns

Infantry Platoon
* Conscripts (20)
* Heavy Weapons Squad (3)
~~ Autocannon Team (8)

~~ Mortar team (1)
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox caster
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox Caster
* Platoon Command Squad

~~ Krak grenades

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi pack

~~ Standard

~~ Vox caster
~ Commissar

~~ Bolt pistol
~ Platoon Commander

~~ Bolt pistol, melta bombs
* Special Weapons Squad
~~ Grenade launcher (3)

Veterans

~ Krak grenades
~ Demolitions
~ Carapace armour

~ Vox caster

~ Shotgun (5)

~ Meltagun (3)
* Veteran Sergeant

~ Power fist

Arvus Lighter Fleet (2)
~ Autocannon (1)

~ Multilaser (1)

Rough Riders
~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Rough Riders
~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Minotaur Artillery Tank

~ Enclosed crew compartment

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Pintle-mounted heavy stubber

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

~ Carapace armour

~ Mastery level 1

~~ Divination

~ Inferno pistol

~ Servo skulls (3)

Tactics

Well, this is how I see it. I'll have the Minotaur in a corner, with a Conscript bubble wrap. One Arvus will ferry in the Ogryns (with Priest and Commissar), the other the Veterans (with the Inquisitor). I don't intend the Platoon to be static and I feel they have a counter assault element which fits my theme nicely.

My concerns are anti air, whether or not I have enough Troops and that fact that I'm an AM newbie. Thoughts?

Edited by Jolemai, 16 April 2018 - 01:40 PM.

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,066 posts
  • Faction: Cadian 333rd, the "Half-Damned"

Hmm...let me break this down.

Combined Arms Detachment

Ministorum Priest

Almost a requirement in list featuring conscripts.

Primaris Psyker

~ Mastery level 2

~~ Power undecided...

Considering he is 1.5 squads of points, have a plan for this guy. I don't really see a use for him and that means that he'd be the first thing I'd drop.

Company Command Squad

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi-pack

~~ Vox caster

~~ Regimental standard

Too many upgrades here. I'd drop the krak and, maybe, the heavy flamer (hard to get close when you are just walking about.) The medic is very hit or miss, especially in a five man squad that is T3; I'm not a fan personally.

* Commissar

Especially given that you have re-rolls from the standard, this guy is just in the squad to execute your officer (or Nork.) I'd reassign him to an infantry squad or drop him altogether.
* Company Commander

Before you spend fancy points on a power sword, ask yourself, "How much damage can this squad really do? Can it beat a squad of tactical marines? Even on the charge?" Probably not, honestly. Save those 15 points for other options. Points add up to more stuff fast in the guard and that means more squads or vehicles.
* Nork Deddog

I love the guy but have yet to hear a story about him doing good.
* Officer of the Fleet
Good call with the flyers in reserve.

Ogryns
How many? Three? Five? Three will not do that much, sadly.

Infantry Platoon
* Conscripts (20)

Dig it but try to find a way to get them up to 30, which is kinda a sweet spot for them. Its only two power weapons of points.
~~ Autocannon Team (8)

~~ Mortar team (1)

Mix and matching weapons can be filled with frustration. Autocannons are great generalists and best paired with other autocannons.
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox caster
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox Caster

Since you're just relying on numbers here, drop one vox and blob the squad up.
* Platoon Command Squad

~~ Krak grenades

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi pack

~~ Standard

~~ Vox caster

Over upgrade again. Its a bargain unit at only 30 points and that standard does almost nothing here. Consider dropping a lot of stuff. Boys before toys my friend.
~ Commissar

~~ Bolt pistol

This guy exists to kill your officer. How many moral checks will this squad take before already being dead? One? Two? This guys is best left at home or reassigned.
~ Platoon Commander

* Special Weapons Squad
~~ Grenade launcher (3)

Cheap but I cannot help but feel that those weapons are better off in the infantry squads.

Veterans

~ Krak grenades
~ Demolitions
~ Carapace armour

~ Vox caster

~ Shotgun (5)

~ Meltagun (3)
* Veteran Sergeant

~ Power fist

Krak grenades are redundant if you take demolitions, since you'll have meltabombs. Also, this squad is probably operating far from an officer, so the vox might be a waste. Consider putting the powerfist on the inquisitor, who gets another attack at a higher weapon skill, rather than the sergeant.

Arvus Lighter Fleet (2)
~ Autocannon (1)

~ Multilaser (1)

Cool but don't the guns auto-snap fire? Save points and stick to the default weapons, whichever that is. These guys exist simply to taxi, which they do rather well imo.

Rough Riders
~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Rough Riders

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Dig it. I'd love to hear how these guys do. If you make this army, write a battle report please.

Minotaur Artillery Tank

~ Hunter-killer missile

I've heard mixed this unit and would be glad for some first hand accounts. It always seemed fun and potentially quite effective to me.

Inquisitorial Detachment

~ Carapace armour

~ Mastery level 1

~~ Divination

~ Inferno pistol

~ Servo skulls (3)

Pretty simple, other than giving him the veteran sergeant's power fist.

Tactics

Well, this is how I see it. I'll have the Minotaur in a corner, with a Conscript bubble wrap. One Arvus will ferry in the Ogryns (with Priest and Commissar, who sadly doesn't do as much here as another ogryn), the other the Veterans (with the Inquisitor). I don't intend the Platoon to be static and I feel they have a counter assault element which fits my theme nicely, consider some flamers for them then. They only need to fire once (or overwatch) to earn their points.

My concerns are anti air, whether or not I have enough Troops and that fact that I'm an AM newbie. Thoughts? Anit-air will be a problem for you. Considering you're already looking into forgeworld, consider a squad of their anti-air heavy weapons squads. I forget the name. They look like doughnuts with men and guns on them and replace heavy weapons squads. 

If you're attached to the idea of a melee command squad, get Stracken. He's about the only way IG pulls that off.

You also might want to look into a rampart detachment. They're two squads of Bullgryn and a PCS, who I'd keep cheap. They get a bunch of upgrades, most notable being Counter Attack and Fearless, so they make great shock troops to put in those flyers. Points would be sharp though.

• T0MMY likes this

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

Hmm...let me break this down.

Combined Arms Detachment

Ministorum Priest

Almost a requirement in list featuring conscripts.

Primaris Psyker

~ Mastery level 2

~~ Power undecided...

Considering he is 1.5 squads of points, have a plan for this guy. I don't really see a use for him and that means that he'd be the first thing I'd drop.

Company Command Squad

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi-pack

~~ Vox caster

~~ Regimental standard

Too many upgrades here. I'd drop the krak and, maybe, the heavy flamer (hard to get close when you are just walking about.) The medic is very hit or miss, especially in a five man squad that is T3; I'm not a fan personally.

* Commissar

Especially given that you have re-rolls from the standard, this guy is just in the squad to execute your officer (or Nork.) I'd reassign him to an infantry squad or drop him altogether.
* Company Commander

Before you spend fancy points on a power sword, ask yourself, "How much damage can this squad really do? Can it beat a squad of tactical marines? Even on the charge?" Probably not, honestly. Save those 15 points for other options. Points add up to more stuff fast in the guard and that means more squads or vehicles.
* Nork Deddog

I love the guy but have yet to hear a story about him doing good.
* Officer of the Fleet
Good call with the flyers in reserve.

Ogryns
How many? Three? Five? Three will not do that much, sadly.

Infantry Platoon
* Conscripts (20)

Dig it but try to find a way to get them up to 30, which is kinda a sweet spot for them. Its only two power weapons of points.
~~ Autocannon Team (8)

~~ Mortar team (1)

Mix and matching weapons can be filled with frustration. Autocannons are great generalists and best paired with other autocannons.
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox caster
* Infantry Squad
~~ Vox Caster

Since you're just relying on numbers here, drop one vox and blob the squad up.
* Platoon Command Squad

~~ Krak grenades

~~ Heavy flamer

~~ Medi pack

~~ Standard

~~ Vox caster

Over upgrade again. Its a bargain unit at only 30 points and that standard does almost nothing here. Consider dropping a lot of stuff. Boys before toys my friend.
~ Commissar

~~ Bolt pistol

This guy exists to kill your officer. How many moral checks will this squad take before already being dead? One? Two? This guys is best left at home or reassigned.
~ Platoon Commander

* Special Weapons Squad
~~ Grenade launcher (3)

Cheap but I cannot help but feel that those weapons are better off in the infantry squads.

Veterans

~ Krak grenades
~ Demolitions
~ Carapace armour

~ Vox caster

~ Shotgun (5)

~ Meltagun (3)
* Veteran Sergeant

~ Power fist

Krak grenades are redundant if you take demolitions, since you'll have meltabombs. Also, this squad is probably operating far from an officer, so the vox might be a waste. Consider putting the powerfist on the inquisitor, who gets another attack at a higher weapon skill, rather than the sergeant.

Arvus Lighter Fleet (2)
~ Autocannon (1)

~ Multilaser (1)

Cool but don't the guns auto-snap fire? Save points and stick to the default weapons, whichever that is. These guys exist simply to taxi, which they do rather well imo.

Rough Riders
~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Rough Riders

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Melta bombs

Dig it. I'd love to hear how these guys do. If you make this army, write a battle report please.

Minotaur Artillery Tank

~ Hunter-killer missile

I've heard mixed this unit and would be glad for some first hand accounts. It always seemed fun and potentially quite effective to me.

Inquisitorial Detachment

~ Carapace armour

~ Mastery level 1

~~ Divination

~ Inferno pistol

~ Servo skulls (3)

Pretty simple, other than giving him the veteran sergeant's power fist.

Tactics

Well, this is how I see it. I'll have the Minotaur in a corner, with a Conscript bubble wrap. One Arvus will ferry in the Ogryns (with Priest and Commissar, who sadly doesn't do as much here as another ogryn), the other the Veterans (with the Inquisitor). I don't intend the Platoon to be static and I feel they have a counter assault element which fits my theme nicely, consider some flamers for them then. They only need to fire once (or overwatch) to earn their points.

My concerns are anti air, whether or not I have enough Troops and that fact that I'm an AM newbie. Thoughts? Anit-air will be a problem for you. Considering you're already looking into forgeworld, consider a squad of their anti-air heavy weapons squads. I forget the name. They look like doughnuts with men and guns on them and replace heavy weapons squads. 

If you're attached to the idea of a melee command squad, get Stracken. He's about the only way IG pulls that off.

You also might want to look into a rampart detachment. They're two squads of Bullgryn and a PCS, who I'd keep cheap. They get a bunch of upgrades, most notable being Counter Attack and Fearless, so they make great shock troops to put in those flyers. Points would be sharp though.

Thanks for the response. Glad to see it's as in depth as always biggrin.png

1. As my Conscripts will only be on bubblewrap duty, should I give them the Priest over giving him to the Ogryns? As I planned on having the Ogryns arrive via Arvus, I can only fit in three with Officer support and I reckoned that three Ogryns would serve me better than three Bullgryns...
  2. I can see your point about "blobbing up", but, should I? Really unfamiliar with hoard ideology but I guess they aren't tough enough to go it alone? Happy to make the other changes
  3. The trouble with giving the Inquisitor the power fist is that he loses his force sword :/ Happy to make the other changes
  4. Yes the Arvus can only snap fire. They have no weapons otherwise, so I opted to give them something with a high rate of fire. Twin-linked multilasers are four melta bombs, twin-linked autocannons and twin-linked heavy stubbers are five apiece; but it sounds like I should opt for a full rush with these guys?
  5. Regarding the Commissars, they are listed where they have been purchased rather than where I'd assign them, but I guess I don't know where to assign them. It sounds like they will do more harm then good anywhere but the Ogryns, but even then that's not a good idea either?
  6. Regarding the upgrades I can shave points off easily enough, just like I can merge the Special Weapons Squad to save points.
  7. The anti-air things are Sabres. 2x twin-linked autocannons should be enough?
  8. I was considering Stracken but it's a points thing. As for the Rampart Formation, I had no idea about that. At 500 points base, it's a major rework of the list (or the basis of a new one if/when I expand the army)
  9. The Primaris fits the theme - in more of a shaman type way - but yes he needs a plan. Perhaps I could drop the ML1 on the Inquisitor (thereby allowing the power fist) and place him with the Veterans to use Divination? What other efficient uses are there for him in a foot list?

Edited by Jolemai, 20 August 2015 - 04:33 PM.

Lukash_

Lukash_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts

1. As my Conscripts will only be on bubblewrap duty, should I give them the Priest over giving him to the Ogryns? As I planned on having the Ogryns arrive via Arvus, I can only fit in three with Officer support and I reckoned that three Ogryns would serve me better than three Bullgryns...
  2. I can see your point about "blobbing up", but, should I? Really unfamiliar with hoard ideology but I guess they aren't tough enough to go it alone? Happy to make the other changes
  3. The trouble with giving the Inquisitor the power fist is that he loses his force sword :/ Happy to make the other changes
  4. Yes the Arvus can only snap fire. They have no weapons otherwise, so I opted to give them something with a high rate of fire. Twin-linked multilasers are four melta bombs, twin-linked autocannons and twin-linked heavy stubbers are five apiece; but it sounds like I should opt for a full rush with these guys?
  5. Regarding the Commissars, they are listed where they have been purchased rather than where I'd assign them, but I guess I don't know where to assign them. It sounds like they will do more harm then good anywhere but the Ogryns, but even then that's not a good idea either?
  6. Regarding the upgrades I can shave points off easily enough, just like I can merge the Special Weapons Squad to save points.
  7. The anti-air things are Sabres. 2x twin-linked autocannons should be enough?
  8. I was considering Stracken but it's a points thing. As for the Rampart Formation, I had no idea about that. At 500 points base, it's a major rework of the list (or the basis of a new one if/when I expand the army)
  9. The Primaris fits the theme - in more of a shaman type way - but yes he needs a plan. Perhaps I could drop the ML1 on the Inquisitor (thereby allowing the power fist) and place him with the Veterans to use Divination? What other efficient uses are there for him in a foot list?

1. Potentially; that's a lot of Fearless bodies.

2. That's what the Commissars are there for. Bit of a high risk, but orders become hilarious.

3. Just drop it, then.

4. Kinda much for some snapshooting weapons.

5. Combined squads, see above.

6. You've already saved a few from the changes he made.

7. Barring a Cron Air list or a Flying Circus.

8. Straken is expensive but the only way other than Yarrick to get a killy HQ.

9. Give him to your big infantry blob.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the living creatures of the earth." - Revelation 6:8

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,066 posts

1. As my Conscripts will only be on bubblewrap duty, should I give them the Priest over giving him to the Ogryns? As I planned on having the Ogryns arrive via Arvus, I can only fit in three with Officer support and I reckoned that three Ogryns would serve me better than three Bullgryns..The ogryns shooting it nice but the bullgryns have their frag launchers, so both can drop some dakka. Go with the ogryns I suppose. I hate that GW made them take up more transport room. Fearless is really nice for the conscripts but hatred is awesome for ogryn. Perhaps two priests?
  2. I can see your point about "blobbing up", but, should I? Really unfamiliar with hoard ideology but I guess they aren't tough enough to go it alone? Happy to make the other changes 20 guys is surprisingly harder to kill that two of ten. Perhaps here is a good place for the commissar.
  3. The trouble with giving the Inquisitor the power fist is that he loses his force sword :/ Happy to make the other changes You're right there. Stick with the sword.
  4. Yes the Arvus can only snap fire. They have no weapons otherwise, so I opted to give them something with a high rate of fire. Twin-linked multilasers are four melta bombs, twin-linked autocannons and twin-linked heavy stubbers are five apiece; but it sounds like I should opt for a full rush with these guys? Gads! I had not realized how expensive they were. Don't waste a single point on those weapons. Jink at everything and taxi away.
  5. Regarding the Commissars, they are listed where they have been purchased rather than where I'd assign them, but I guess I don't know where to assign them. It sounds like they will do more harm then good anywhere but the Ogryns, but even then that's not a good idea either? That makes a lot more sense. I still think you only really need on (for infantry) or a second priest.
  6. Regarding the upgrades I can shave points off easily enough, just like I can merge the Special Weapons Squad to save points. Saving points is great.
  7. The anti-air things are Sabres. 2x twin-linked autocannons should be enough? Depends on your meta. I wouldn't go with too many though, since they snap fire at ground targets.
  8. I was considering Stracken but it's a points thing. As for the Rampart Formation, I had no idea about that. At 500 points base, it's a major rework of the list (or the basis of a new one if/when I expand the army) I get the points issue. Also, the Rampart Formation requires five man squads (which I forgot about) so they don't work with your flyers anyway.
  9. The Primaris fits the theme - in more of a shaman type way - but yes he needs a plan. Perhaps I could drop the ML1 on the Inquisitor (thereby allowing the power fist) and place him with the Veterans to use Divination? What other efficient uses are there for him in a foot list? Stick him with your infantry and go for divination. He can drop re-rolls on important units and the other powers are great. +4 invul will keep them alive longer. Full BS overwatch is great. Re-roll reserves, heck you've got flyers. 

Hope that helps.

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

Here's a Stracken list:

Spoiler

Trying to think of the best way to use his squad's Relentless and his FC bubble. Perhaps give the Platoon Command las pistols as opposed to lasguns? That way I can work in a combo change/counter. How does Nork's rules interact with Stracken's during combat?

Any list without Stracken would involve a second Priest certainly. By the way, what's the generally accepted sweet spot for infantry blobs?

Thanks again for the replies all.

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,840 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

This list looks better, though Straken isn't the power house he used to be he's still cool but I'm not sure if he's cool enough to try building some form of combat capability in. Shotguns are usually only for looks/theme purposes as they're a bit pap, Vets are best shooting like most Guard units. As much as I love the standards they're expensive for what they do my recommendation is use the model but don't pay for the upgrade :P

The sweet spot for blobs is 20-30 in my opinion. Any more than that gets expensive and unwieldy and just makes them even more of a target for the tricks and units that can counter them. Given your list is infantry based I don't think the Minotaur is a good idea as it'll eat all your opponent's AT in short order. If you're going FW with the Sabre Platforms why not go for infantry based artillery?

A nice theme to the list is building up so I'll be looking forward to seeing them in the future at some point :tu:

gallery_30308_9518_886.jpggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Bullgryns | CSM Daemon Prince | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight | DE Sslyth

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

The shotguns are there because I feel they synergise better with the squad's melta capability. They also allow for a charge afterwards, which makes better use of the melta bombs that the squad has. I do concede that this aggressive style probably stems from my Blood Angel nature...

I do realise that about the Minotaur but the bubblewarp and/or cover should help a little bit. For smaller games it would be the first thing I drop but I feel it fits the theme well despite its inefficiencies and the downsides of taking a single ground vehicle. To be fair, the Sabres are probably too high tech for my theme but they are cheaper than a Quad Gun...

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,066 posts

I think that is a much better list. To get the most out of Straken, don't be afraid to move him forward, along with all of your infantry. I know that you're planning on bubble wrapping with the conscripts but some enemies will not be coming toward you (rude, I know) so go to them.

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,840 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

I think you need more than matching range and allowing assault to justify shotguns :P If you're hunting tanks and nasties not like the shotguns will add much, I'd rather take lasguns for some longer range options. Perhaps if shotguns got an improvement so they were better than lasguns but until then I can only endorse them for Rule of Cool purposes!

Sadly with hull points bubbles and cover will not save that tank as all your opponent's AT will rain down on it and I'd imagine he'd have quite a bit at 2000pts. Keep it cheap and cheerful would be my recommendation if you want to keep it.

gallery_30308_9518_886.jpggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Bullgryns | CSM Daemon Prince | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight | DE Sslyth

Boomkapow

Boomkapow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 248 posts
I like the strake list. For future reference, if a commissar and nork are in the same ccs and the commissar kills the company commander, Nork will kill the commissar, making for a very unfortunate turn...

Edited by Boomkapow, 26 August 2015 - 11:10 PM.

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

This is how the list is looking at the start of 8th (according to Battlescribe anyway). Will likely update it again once the AM Codex comes out.

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Primaris Psyker

~ Psychic Barrier, Terrifying Visions

~ Bolt pistol & force sword

~ Smite, Mental Fortitude

Elites

Command Squad

~ Heavy Flamer

~ Medi-pack & lasgun

~ Regimental Standard & lasgun

~ Vox caster & lasgun

Platoon Commander

~ Chainsword & laspistol

Ratlings (5)

Veterans

~ Powerfist & laspistol

~ Heavy flamer

~ Shotgun (4)

~ Vox caster & shotgun

~ Meltagun (3)

Ministorum Priest

~ Chainsword & laspistol

Troops

Conscripts (25)

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword & laspistol

~ Flamer

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword & laspistol

~ Flamer

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword & laspistol

~ Flamer

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword & laspistol

~ Grenade launcher

~ Vox caster

Fast Attack

Rough Riders (5)

~ Powerlance

~ Meltagun (2)

Rough Riders (5)

~ Laspistol

~ Meltagun (2)

Heavy Support

Heavy Weapons Squad

Autocannon (3)

Heavy Weapons Squad

Autocannon (3)

Heavy Weapons Squad

Autocannon (3)

Flyer

Arvus Lighter

~ Twin autocannon

Arvus Lighter

~ Twin autocannon

Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Super-heavy

Minotaur Artillery Tank

~ Heavy stubber, hunter-killer missile

Vanguard Detachment

HQ

Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken

Elites

Bullgryns (3)

~ Grenadier gauntlet, slabshield (1)

~ Bullgryn maul, slabshield (1)

~ Brute shield, Bullgryn maul (1)

Commissar

~ Bolt pistol, power sword

Commissar

~ Bolt pistol, power sword

Nork Deddog

Heavy Support

Sabre Weapons Battery

~ Twin autocannon (2)

Thoughts and options

Pretty much everything is subject to change, however, a lot of stuff is there to fit the theme. I'm still looking at the Arvus Lighters delivering the Bullgryns and the Veterans into range (with associated Officers) and the Conscripts acting as a bubblewrap for the Minotaur (do we still need to do this in 8th?). Everything else in on foot and pushes up the field with supporting fire.. Do I have enough Officers for orders? Do I have enough troops? (I seem to have more in 8th so far but...) Have I got all the bases covered? Anti-tank/air/personnel, distraction units, etc?

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts
  • Faction: 32nd Firedrakes

Orders! you need more orders! you only have 3 per turn for 9+ squads. they make units sooooooooo much better. I would squeeze some more company commanders in (30points each! bargain). 

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts
Dropping a HS squad gives me another Platoon Commander and a Company Commander, resulting in six orders a turn. Still too little?

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts

yer i think 6 would be good, spread over 4 bodies. gives you a good amount over a decent area with all the vox casters you have

• duz_ likes this

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

Just found out an Arvus can't carry the Bullgryns :( Delivery options, or switch to Ogryns?

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts

Following the Codex release and the aforementioned Arvus problem, here's a revamp of the list with accompanying thoughts below:

Brigade Detachment

~ Catachan

HQ

Straken

Company Commander

~ Boltgun, chainsword, Kurov's Aquila

Company Commander

~ Boltgun, powerfist

Elites

Command Squad

~ Flamer

~ Medi-pack, laspistol and chainsword

~ Regimental Standard, laspistol and chainsword

~ Vox caster, laspistol and chainsword

Platoon Commander

~ Chainsword, shotgun

Bullgryns (3)

~ Grenadier gauntlet, slabshield (1)

~ Brute shield, Bullgryn maul (2)

Veterans

~ Boltgun and chainsword

~ Heavy flamer

~ Shotgun (4)

~ Vox caster, shotgun

~ Flamer (3)

Troops

Conscripts (25)

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword, boltgun

~ Grenade launcher

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword, boltgun

~ Grenade launcher

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword, boltgun

~ Grenade launcher

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword, boltgun

~ Sniper Rifle

~ Autocannon

~ Vox caster

Infantry Squad

~ Chainsword, boltgun

~ Sniper Rifle

~ Autocannon

Fast Attack

Rough Riders (5)

~ Laspistol, chainsword

~ Meltagun (2)

Rough Riders (5)

~ Laspistol, chainsword

~ Meltagun (2)

Scout Sentinels (3)

~ Multilaser, sentinel chainsword (3)

Heavy Support

Heavy Weapons Squad

~ Autocannon (3)

Heavy Weapons Squad

~ Mortar (3)

Sabre Weapons Battery

~ Twin autocannon

Tarantula

~ Twin heavy bolter

Flyer

Arvus Lighter

~ Twin autocannon

Supreme Command Detachment

HQ

Primaris Psyker

~ Mental Fortitude, Psychic Barrier

Primaris Psyker

~ Mental Fortitude, Psychic Barrier

Primaris Psyker

~ Psychic Maelstrom, Terrifying Visions

Super-heavy

Minotaur Artillery Tank

~ Storm bolter, hunter-killer missile

Vanguard Detachment

HQ

Inquisitor

~ Ordo Hereticus, bolter, force sword

~ Mental Fortitude

Elites

Acolyte

~ Specialist, plasma pistol, chainsword

Ministorum Priest

~ Bolt pistol, storm bolter

Ratlings (5)

Thoughts and options

• Pretty much everything is subject to change, however, a lot of stuff is there to fit the theme that I'm building - hence the lack of optimal choices such as plasma guns.
  • Minotaur in a corner/out of sight with a bubblewrap consisting of either the blobbed up 20-man squad with two lascannons and babysat by a psyker and Company Commander
  • Conscripts (if not on babysitting duty) spearhead the Infantry squads, characters, Bullgryns, and Command Squad up the field
  • Arvus delivers a flamer bomb with Platoon Commander
  • Rough Riders and Sentinels flank stuff

• duz_ likes this

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts

The sentinels would be better with an alternative weapon than a multilaser (they are terrible). Maybe an autocannon? one less shot, but can do a lot more damage. 

• duz_ likes this

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,628 posts
They are only there as a screen and to fill out the Brigade, but I can work in some different weapony. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users