Meltacide question!

Kane Sideram

I'll start by saying my army is mostly for display purposes. But I'm beholden to the idea of creating a legitimate fighting force.

Here's my issue. The new space marine assault squads have no meltaguns. They also cost 75 bucks here in Australia. You get 5 in the box as I'm sure you know. Assuming they're a meltacide squad, they'll use a drop pod, meaning Their jump packs go straight in the bits box.. Luckily I already have 3 spare meltaguns and 5 inferno pistols.

So with all that in mind, is there literally any reason why I can't make TWO squads out of a single Blood Angel Tactical box. Are there going to be any unforeseen circumstances I'm neglecting to think of? Because it feels really damn weird to pay 150 bucks for two assault squads when I could pay 68 for a tac squad, with all the blood angels iconography and get the 4th melta needed to complete two whole squads.

The guy in the store looked at me like I was insane when I pointed this out. Which has me second guessing myself.. Like the tactical squad models are secretly wired to explode if you paint their helmets yellow.

You would be stupid not to use the tac box insteadt ;)  You are missing out on running legs though. Im sure you have enough bolt pistols and chainswords in your bits box?

You also get them in armor decorated for Blood Angels and an angelic host (get it? GET IT?) of other great bitz to just hang on to. They could probably make a really good bolter Death Company squad too, but that's a different matter.

As mentioned already the only issue is aesthetic - the tactical marine legs are quite static looking and assault marines are generally portrayed as charging into the fray, hence the running legs. You could probably get five running legs from eBay or a bits site and still come out way on top financially. You will also need two chainswords and pistols for the non-melta guys - but who doesn't have plenty of those in their bits box?!

Thanks. It seemed like such a simple idea, I was worried it would be too easy. I can live without the running legs. And yep, plenty of spare chainswords and bolt pistols.

I've come to accept that this is a very expensive hobby, but when I saw the price of those assault marines, I found myself slightly annoyed. I don't understand the justification behind selling 5 models for 75 and 10 for 68... Especially when most people would agree the blood angel tacticals are some of the most beautiful space marines you can buy.

My wife nearly :cuss her pants when she saw that Age of Sigmar, Lord Celestant single model for 65 bucks.

Anyway, I'm sure there's plenty of price bitching threads out there already. I just wanted to be certain I wouldn't run into issues using the tacs as assaults. Legs I can live without. Cheers guys!

In the UK the 5-man assault squad is £25 and the 10-man BA tac squad is £26. Go figure!

Thing is, GW pricing has never been based on 'how much plastic is in the box'. It's more about the unit's desirability and awesomeness. Tac squads are less sexy than assault squads and therefore cheaper per marine I guess!

I'll start by saying my army is mostly for display purposes. But I'm beholden to the idea of creating a legitimate fighting force.

Here's my issue. The new space marine assault squads have no meltaguns. They also cost 75 bucks here in Australia. You get 5 in the box as I'm sure you know. Assuming they're a meltacide squad, they'll use a drop pod, meaning Their jump packs go straight in the bits box.. Luckily I already have 3 spare meltaguns and 5 inferno pistols.

So with all that in mind, is there literally any reason why I can't make TWO squads out of a single Blood Angel Tactical box. Are there going to be any unforeseen circumstances I'm neglecting to think of? Because it feels really damn weird to pay 150 bucks for two assault squads when I could pay 68 for a tac squad, with all the blood angels iconography and get the 4th melta needed to complete two whole squads.

The guy in the store looked at me like I was insane when I pointed this out. Which has me second guessing myself.. Like the tactical squad models are secretly wired to explode if you paint their helmets yellow.

Theoretically, you could magnetize the heads in your army and just swap our helmet color for the role they are playing. Today they are Assault. Tomorrow they are Tactical. Wednesday they will be Devastator ablative wounds.

Theoretically, you could magnetize the heads in your army and just swap our helmet color for the role they are playing. Today they are Assault. Tomorrow they are Tactical. Wednesday they will be Devastator ablative wounds.

This.

+1

This.

+1

Been doing that with heavy weaps, special weaps and sergents for a while. Easy way to add some flexability in your collection.

That's an interesting idea... I currently only have two heavy weapon infantry models in my army (one if you count the fact a heavy flamer is actually an assault weapon) and they both have red helms as they're for tactical squads. I've just built one more who will also be part of a tac squad but am considering painting his helmet blue for possible future inclusion in a dev squad. Maybe a magnet is the answer...

On that note, fluff-wise are heavy weapons-toting marines in tactical squads tactical or devastator marines?

That's an interesting idea... I currently only have two heavy weapon infantry models in my army (one if you count the fact a heavy flamer is actually an assault weapon) and they both have red helms as they're for tactical squads. I've just built one more who will also be part of a tac squad but am considering painting his helmet blue for possible future inclusion in a dev squad. Maybe a magnet is the answer...

On that note, fluff-wise are heavy weapons-toting marines in tactical squads tactical or devastator marines?

Tactical. They are part of the tac squad. Another option is you can change a heavy flamer or spec weap marine to have a golden helmet in order to look like a veteran or honor guard. Although if you pain company markings on him that will ruin it for the veteran part.

Tactical marines. The Marine progression is Scout > Scout Biker > Devastator support Marine > Devastator heavy weapon operator > Assault Marine / Bike Squad > Tactical Marine, I believe. After that it's veteran and/or sergeant status. So every tactical marine knows how to use a heavy weapon.

Tactical marines. The Marine progression is Scout > Scout Biker > Devastator support Marine > Devastator heavy weapon operator > Assault Marine / Bike Squad > Tactical Marine, I believe. After that it's veteran and/or sergeant status. So every tactical marine knows how to use a heavy weapon.

That is for Codex SM.

Blood Angels are a bit different. For them it goes:

Scout

Scout Biker?

Assault

Tactical

Devastator

Veteran (Vanguard, Sternguard, Terminator, Command or Vet Sgt in any above Squad)

***Sanguinary Guard***

BA start in Assault squads so that Sanguinary Priests and Chaplains can monitor who is most likely to get lost in reckless CQC and thus fall to the Black Rage. Tacticals are the tried-and-true blood brothers. Devastators are actually the most senior non-veteran BA since they have proven to be most in control of their bloodthirsty urges and thus are able to reliably provide heavy fire support when needed.

Some variation of it has been in most of the codexs I think. Also on the wh40k wikia and Lexicanum I believe (which are usually curated from Codexes, et al).

So according to the fluff BA Devs should actually be closer Space Wolf Long Fangs. Also interesting how both of those chapters have similiar tactics of sticking the young reckless on was in assault squads and the steadier hands on the big guns.

Actually, Devastator comes before Tactical Marines, as it's the time in which they learn to control the Red Thirst in a way that allows them to stand back. This is essential training for Tactical Squads, as they are expected to be able to switch between standing back and tearing face at a moment's notice, as required by the situation.

But then I also have to magnetise the knee pad :S

...and the shoulder pads...

...and you could magnetize every hand of every Marine as well so they can switch to bolt pistol and knife when in combat...

My point is just to think creatively and modularly. Thrift.

But then I also have to magnetise the knee pad :S

Archived