The Warriors of Cain (Added Painter Photo)

Arkangilos

bl.php?text=Warriors%20of%20Cain&fontsize=25&bg=666666

Original Founding: Fourth

Betrayal: M41

Geneseed: Guilliman (Majority), Mix (Minority)

Leader: Meditus Cain

Base of Operations: The Fortress of Divinity, located on Primara, former homeworld of the Primaris Legion Chapter.

Colors: White with dark blue trim.

gallery_60335_5901_102234.jpg

History

Before the fall, the ones that would become known as the Warriors of Cain were part of the once proud Primaris Legion, an Ultramarine Successor. The Primaris Legion was the Warden of the Draco Sector, protecting the Imperial Worlds from massive Ork Waaghs and Chaos Incursions. For many millinia they uphead their task faithfully, dutifully, and humbly.

As the defenders of the Draco Sector, they were humble. They sought neither fame, nor glory. Their belief in humility led them to shun awards and decorations, believing that such things got in the way of devotion and service. They believed that service to the Emperor was purest when one could rid himself of pride and arrogance. This mindset would remain unchallenged for several thousand years, until Meditus Cain would raise his hand in rebellion.

Two centuries before their betrayal, Cain was assigned to the Deathwatch, to serve a term before he could be promoted to captain. It was there that his prideful nature came to the fore, and when presented an award by the Death Watch, he broke his chapter's tradition and accepted. Soon, he became one of the most decorated member of the watch he was assigned to.

Upon returning, the chapter command had delayed his promotion. They were worried about his willingness to break tradition. Reluctantly, Cain agreed to remove any and all decorations he had received, and was finally promoted. From there, Cain would rise to become one of two candidates for Chapter Master. Yet, he was passed over. For while he had cast aside his pride, the Chapter Council remembered his actions. This embittered him, for not only had he sacrificed his own pride for the Emperor, but he was one of the most able brothers in the chapter. He believed that his brother captains did not appreciate his sacrifices. It was for that, that he silently planned the murder the newly raised Chapter Master, Hamil.

The plan kicked off during an Ork Waaagh, where he was able to dispatch the chapter master during the heat of battle. It went flawlessly, and his apparent heroism that saved most of the first company from death saw him promoted to Chapter Master. It was then, upon his ascension to Chapter Master, that he sowed the seeds that would culminate into the fall of the chapter, and the Draco Sector.

His first subtle acts were to award those who had given support to him. He slowly whittled away the traditions of the chapter. This decision made him popular among the younger generation of Battle Brothers, but made the veterans and older space marines uneasy. He began sending dissenters further away on campaigns, and promoted his supporters in their places.

Eventually, however, the opposition built up to breaking point. In what was known as the "Breaking of the Stone," the First Company Captain and Herald of the White Knights, shattered the stone slab that held their core tenants, and declared Cain and his Followers renegades of the chapter, breaking the chapter.

A battle quickly ensued, and eventually Cain and his followers were forced to retreat off Primara. The Primaris Legion attempted to follow, but their weakened numbers meant that on the defensive, Cain would have superiority. Without the advance, Cain managed to escape and hide his forces on the dead world known as Tarca, where he would uncover the Tome of Ascension. Having studied the book, he and his circle of advisers hatched a new plan. They would write the Book of Awakening, and spread it among the citizens of the sector. The book would appeal to faithful Imperial Citizens, and other members of his chapter, both his followers and the ones that had ousted him. It claimed that the Emperor had wanted the liberation of humanity from oppression, something that the Ecclessiarchy had suppressed. It emphasized four core aspects of the Emperor: Passion, the Aspect of Blood, Acceptance, the Aspect of the Heart, Hope, the Aspect of the Mind, and Happiness, the Aspect of the Flesh. It also claimed that Cain, having a vision from the Emperor, would liberate the oppressed people.

As these beliefs began to spread, cults dedicated to Cain, the four aspects, and individual aspects began popping up. The Primaris Legion began worrying again about Cain and once again began a hunt for them. Over the next ten years, small skirmishes would occur across the sector, and cults were purged. This only caused more support for Cain, however. Soon, the cults that had by now spread across both the crews of the Navy, the Regiments of the Guard, and many worlds, had begun open revolts. Lord General Wilhelm, one of the commanders of the Sectors forces, had taken heart and met with Cain.

Once he met Lord General Wilhelm, to whom he promised glories and worlds to rule, he gained a sizable force. He also found allies among a renegade fleet, several rogue traders and profiteers, and confiscated merchant vessels. As the cult rebellions spread, mutinies caused ships and regiments to switch loyalties.

The full war kicked finally kicked off as Cain declared a "Crusade of Liberation." The surprised and shattered sector defenders were quickly overwhelmed and world after world of the Draco Sector fell. Many worlds offered themselves to him, proclaiming him as their savior. As they gained ground and fought more battles, those who had now taken the mantle "Warriors of Cain" began to reorganize, and their fall to chaos was becoming more apparent. Soon, chaos warbands that had heard of the spreading conflict rallied to Cain, who had finally denounced the Imperium once and for all. Within ten years, the Draco Sector had fallen and the remains of the Primaris Legion were scattered, offering what resistance they could. Cain and his warriors would reorganize, and restructure his newly formed "Imperium of Cain."

Under his rule, hundreds of new regiments were raised against the Imperium from conquered worlds, ships were built from captured space docks, more worlds of the Draco Sector brought under his control, and the worlds he held with little resistance were fortified. To many of his worlds, he was just a beacon of the Emperor, and many did not believe they were unwillingly following Chaos. They believe that he is the devout hero of the Emperor.

Notable Abhorrent Practices

One of the more recent practices the Warriors of Cain have begun involves what is known as the "Flesh Victims." They take dissenters and slaves, rebels and fallen enemy space marines, and skin them alive. After skinning them, they force their slaves to wear the flesh as clothing until there is enough to make a cloak or robes, they fashion the flesh into robes, clothing, or capes for the Traitor Space Marines. It is believed they employ this tactic to deter rebellions.

Organization

The Organization of the Warriors of Cain began deviating as the campaign grew on. As more brothers were lured into their heretical ways, several prominent figures formed their own organizations within the warband. All of these specialized warbands would be led by his lieutenants that founded them. They would be the dedicated elite. All others would retain their former squad designations and their company, although their companies were much smaller.

The First Chosen

The First Chosen of Cain are Cain's personal force. It consists of what Terminator Armor was salvaged from the conquest of Primara and what they had when they left the first time, as well as several of the more elite and trusted warriors from the other warbands. They have been seen wearing the Flesh of the loyal captains and veterans of the Primaris Legion.

The Gore Knights

The Gore Knights are made up of those who have fallen into the complete dedication of the Aspect of Blood. They are the elite assault forces of Cain's Warriors. The Vanguard Veterans of the Primaris Legion that chose to follow Cain were the first of the Gore Knights. Gore Knights retain their white armor, but change the blue trims to a gory red. They are led by Abril Karnick, a fierce champion who has fully devoted himself to Khorne.

The Disciples of Decay

The Disciples of Decay are those who have dedicated their lives to the Aspect of the Heart. Their leader is known as Beltibub, the Lord of Rust. The flesh of their victims drapes around their bodies, rotting like everything around them.

The Heralds of Pleasure

The Heralds of Pleasure are those who have given themselves to the Aspect of Flesh. They tend to have more flesh victims than the other war bands of the Cains Warriors. As such, they skin their slaves more often, and are draped in overly long robes of flesh, most of which has been colored or pierced with rings. Many Heralds of Pleasure carry tanks of drugs that they inject into themselves almost constantly. They are led by Altar the Happy.

The Conclave of Knowledge

The Conclave of Knowledge is made up of the former Librarians that have dedicated themselves to the Aspect of the Mind. They rarely operate together, instead offering advice to and services to Cain's Lieutenants. The Conclave's head is Sazier, Cain's personal adviser.

The Holy Speakers

Cain realized that the various aspects would begin fighting among themselves, and as such created his version of Chaplains, known as the Holy Speakers. They would act as both spiritual preachers and his personal enforces, ensuring the loyalty of his men.

The Realm's Holy Guard

The Realm's Holy Guard is what Cain has called his regular human armies. They have taken on he organization of the Imperial Guard, even having "Loyalty Officers" and "Lesser Speakers."

+End for now+

What do you guys think so far?

its good, will elaborate more soon 

Reasons its good;

Mad Dictator dude creates counter imperium

Actually gets its crap together and has some level of organisation (unlike EVERYWHERE ELSE)

I like the characters 

Chapter of non-glory-hogs 

Reasons its bad;

Not entirely sure there would be a facet representing every god + undivided. Just my personal feeling but I find it hard to think of situations where all the gods are represented in a warband simply because the gods all hate each other and are attracted to different things. Therefore what might bring Khorne and Nurgle would not bring Slanesh and Tzeentch. (just my 2 cents) 

keep up the good work ;) 

There's definitely promise for this article, I think. I do have some critique, though.

When Cain and his followers were exiled after being deposed, there seems to be no further development of the consequences for the civil war. Surely the rest of the Primaris Legion would have sought to eliminate Cain and his men as if they were a cancer - as the victors of that first conflict, surely it would be in their best interest to consolidate their position and attempt to pursue Cain unto destruction? After all, did he not build a cult of personality, abuse his power and break millennia-old traditions? It would seem to me that this Harold would be the kind of leader who would not leave Cain alive, if he had a choice. He'd possibly even see it as a matter of Chapter pride.

Secondly - Are these names biblically sourced? I think 'Joseph the Able' doesn't really sound altogether all that gothic and 'Harold' just seems kinda hum drum for a space marine to me. Would you be open to name changes?

Lastly, with all these disparate elements to the warband, something will have to be shown that keeps them in line. I mean, warriors gravitating towards differing Gods don't exactly like to play nice with devotees of other deities, now, do they? Presumably this is Cain himself. If so, then how does he prevent his 'followers' from going off and doing their own thing? This may have to be explained, whether it is by brute force or by cunning.

Good points.

I am open to name changes, but this was supposed to be alluding to Cain and Abel, so preferably names that can stick with that. Cain seems alright, right? So Joseph the Able can be changed to something else, I'll just keep the title "The Able" Or something. And you are right, it doesn't really sound Gothic.

To the Civil War, I originally had more in there about that, but I cut it out temporarily while I refined it. But basically Cain had enough of the chapter that an invasion would have been hard. I've dive deeper into that later, but I am open to suggestions on how it would pan out. 

For keeping them in line, I'm not exactly sure yet. I think, as of now, I have it in my mind that they just don't fight together on a continuing basis. Basically, he sends them off to where they are needed, but separates them in a way that they don't come across each other. After all, he has a whole sector for them. And I probably will add in some conflict among themselves. Maybe the Imperials try to lure them in together. I'm open to suggestions. 

Maybe the Holy Speakers keep them in line?

I'll think about it while at work.

Oh hey, by the way, Harold wasn't his name. I meant that as his title. Like he was known as the Harold of the White Knights. Haha, I'll add his name later. I just couldn't think of a good one.

I am open to name changes, but this was supposed to be alluding to Cain and Abel, so preferably names that can stick with that. Cain seems alright, right? So Joseph the Able can be changed to something else, I'll just keep the title "The Able" Or something. And you are right, it doesn't really sound Gothic.

Hmm. If you're alluding to Cain and Abel, I'd would recommend being a little bit more subtle than using their direct names. However, keeping Cain would be fine imo if Abel was referenced to in a more subtle manner, thereby making the story of this warband seem less derivative. For example, the Hebrew names (according to wikipedia) are Qayin and Heḇel/Hevel. For a start there's two names that many people reading the article won't immediately recognise and even if you only use Hebel/Hevel it doesn't automatically bring the source to mind. Maybe adding a slight Hebrew touch could add something to the Primaris Legion that's currently missing?

With the Arabic name leaning more towards Hamil (it's Habil), maybe there's more you can do with the character if you name him Hamil and then inject some character traits from Mark Hamill and the characters he's portrayed in the past. It's a bit of a short cut in regards to character building but I'd be inclined to say it's a legitimate approach, borrowing elements from popular figures.

To the Civil War, I originally had more in there about that, but I cut it out temporarily while I refined it. But basically Cain had enough of the chapter that an invasion would have been hard. I've dive deeper into that later, but I am open to suggestions on how it would pan out.

Okay so are we talking a couple of hundred marines or more like nearly half of the chapter, that Cain managed to turn to his cause? The difference between the two numbers wouldn't affect the civil war itself too much, given that you have an end result already, sort of, but it would dictate how aggressive the Primaris Legion would be feeling after they had won the initial battles and drove Cain and his followers away. If they have fewer marines, perhaps they would not be as head strong as they could be it they had a clear advantage in numbers.

Also, the issue of how or why the Primaris Legion did not attempt to kill or hound the renegades out of Imperial space may need to be addressed - was it the Primaris legion that was lacking or had failed in this duty? Or, instead, was it Cain and his men who outwitted or outfought their former brothers and escaped to places where they could not be pursued?

For keeping them in line, I'm not exactly sure yet. I think, as of now, I have it in my mind that they just don't fight together on a continuing basis. Basically, he sends them off to where they are needed, but separates them in a way that they don't come across each other. After all, he has a whole sector for them. And I probably will add in some conflict among themselves. Maybe the Imperials try to lure them in together. I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe the Holy Speakers keep them in line?

I'll think about it while at work.

Ah yes, the Holy Speakers. They strike me as an odd addition to the group, as if providing a place for the turned Chaplains (if there are any). Personally, I would fragment them and turn them into Cain's enforcers.

Oh hey, by the way, Harold wasn't his name. I meant that as his title. Like he was known as the Harold of the White Knights. Haha, I'll add his name later. I just couldn't think of a good one.

blink.png

That's his title? I think that may beg the question - What's a Harold?

A battle quickly ensued, and eventually Cain and his followers were forced to retreat off Primara. The Primaris Legion attempted to follow, but their weakened numbers meant that on the defensive, Cain would have superiority. Without the advance, Cain managed to escape and hide his forces on the dead world known as Tarca, where he would uncover the Tome of Ascension. Having studied the book, he and his circle of advisers hatched a new plan. They would write the Book of Awakening, and spread it among the citizens of the sector. The book would appeal to faithful Imperial Citizens, and other members of his chapter, both his followers and the ones that had ousted him. It claimed that the Emperor had wanted the liberation of humanity from oppression, something that the Ecclessiarchy had suppressed. It emphasized four core aspects of the Emperor: Passion, the Aspect of Blood, Acceptance, the Aspect of the Heart, Hope, the Aspect of the Mind, and Happiness, the Aspect of the Flesh. It also claimed that Cain, having a vision from the Emperor, would liberate the oppressed people.

What do you think about this?

I also changed the warbands section, where instead of "dedication to x god" it became "dedication to x aspect"

I'll make more edits when I'm actually home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived