Very nice work The large surface area shows off the effect you have, just needs a bit of transfers or something to break it up a bit. As to your troopers, perhaps you can make a new pledge?
Thanks very much! I always debate transfers if only because they end up with this glossy sheen to them. I may end up doing some artwork in Photoshop for the H.E.R.C. force and send it off to have custom decals done, I'd probably feel more inclined to put them on the units than forcing symbols that don't fit onto the models.
The model looks ace. Very jealous of what you have though I would be frustrated at how poor the model fitted together considering the cost.
On a side note, let us know how it does in games!
Thanks! I was disappointed by how it was fitting together, especially along the fuselage and the joint for the tail to connect into it. One part though is entirely my fault and that's the wing with the green stuff along the entire connecting side. I underestimated the weight of the engines when I put them on the wing and while the Loctite was drying they slid just a little off their place on the bottom of the wing as it is just an entire smooth surface that I scored with a file. I was in the process of painting the fuselage and when I looked down and saw the issue I tried to break the engines away but the critical engine, closest to the missiles, was on there like cement.
I guess I scored both surfaces a bit to well because Loctite Ultra Control Gel usually hardens rather slow but this time it was acting like plastic glue left out for an hour. All I could do is make the best of the matter and keep going though, I think once it's on the flight stand a lot of the issues will become moot as they only show up when you look at it flat against a single color surface.
My biggest frustration with the model though is how fragile it is. If you look at the wing flaps, they only have two poorly fitting joints holding them in place and even glued in with a solid amount they are movable with your finger up and down. The tail assault cannons are also only connected to the plane by a 1 - 2 cm deep tiny socket hole with a sponson bar coming down from it. There's no double catch to hold it in place and I'll probably end up layering the connection with more glue since it's not visible and needs reinforcement badly.
I'm not sure how secure the Hellstrike missiles are but even if they are, sitting this thing on any kind of non-secure surface for transport is going to be a nightmare as there are so many dangling parts with weak mounts on thin portions of the craft, preventing pinning due to it weakening the overall structure of the plane part. Hell, I could see through the doors that are on the side of the craft before I painted them the resin was so thin.
Despite all of that, I feel good about completing what is considered one of the hardest models in the GW/Forge World line. Still waiting on that flight stand to show up, I guess I'll email the guy at Dragon Forge tonight to get a status update!