[WIP] (H.E.R.C.) - MT/Elysian/Cadian Air Cav Strike Force

Audemus

Sometimes a simple head swap is all that's needed to make a completely different model, he looks good smile.png I'm not sure about his arm, as he has quite distinctive armour so you might have to look at replacing both to make them fit?

So for the birds, I figured why fight city hall as nothing was working and his other arm is part of the finecast. Instead I went with the obvious cybernetic orange/red eyes to make sure it's clear that the bird(s) is not real.

This is the first actual character I've painted since I started again, barring the generic leadership individuals, so I wanted to really work the model. I'm actually amazingly shocked at how well the hourglass ended up looking, I felt like I was struggling with it but the pictures seem to say otherwise. Who am I to argue? biggrin.png

Hope you guys like him because I just pulled an all nighter working solely on this guy; this model has so many great details that even after everything I realized I missed one after taking the pictures (his signet ring on the bird arm) and I'm fixing that in just a moment.

Stepping directly from the pages of communique on to a table soon...

Inquisitor Trelan Orvelus

http://i.imgur.com/sJuwLwD.png

Well this monstrosity took way longer than expected, I've been under the weather and just could not get myself to start painting it right away.  The Stormlord is completed now and the mechanized strategy will be run the next time I'm up at the store to game.

...and of course there are pictures!

Lions of Leander VI - Stormlord

Stormlord - Front

http://i.imgur.com/2s131mt.png

Stormlord - Diagonal

http://i.imgur.com/jv1yiR4.png

Stormlord - Birds Eye View - Front Facing

http://i.imgur.com/uTagvzm.png

Stormlord - Side 1

http://i.imgur.com/7HDcXWl.png

Stormlord - Side 2

http://i.imgur.com/k1a79fX.png

Stormlord - Back

http://i.imgur.com/EnYUqzv.png

Stormlord - Birds Eye View - Back Facing

http://i.imgur.com/m8lnjon.png

...and finally a shot of the mechanized force that will end up on the table, due to all of the troops utilizing the Stormlord as a mobile fighting platform.

http://i.imgur.com/3YB4FK1.png

Another fine addition to our super heavy vehicle pool thumbsup.gif For your next tank I'd like to see a Shadowsword I think... msn-wink.gif

Oh I don't know, I was thinking the next Super Heavy might look something like...

http://i.imgur.com/NlpDuts.png

I've just got quite a bit of infantry to do before I can get at it. My Solar Auxilia book is in the mail and while I'll continue to add the Lions of Leander VI, I think it's time to shake things up a bit with some new colors/patterns/models. biggrin.png

I don't know, perhaps your Solar Auxilia (Gads, I would start them if I had the time and money) could stand to have a Shadowsword on hand when facing the horrors of the galaxy. Its cheaper than other LoW, so it can be fielded in smaller armies, and its D weapon can spell the doom of knights, flare shielded/armored ceramited spartans, and mechanicus monstrosities alive.

I don't know, perhaps your Solar Auxilia (Gads, I would start them if I had the time and money) could stand to have a Shadowsword on hand when facing the horrors of the galaxy. Its cheaper than other LoW, so it can be fielded in smaller armies, and its D weapon can spell the doom of knights, flare shielded/armored ceramited spartans, and mechanicus monstrosities alive.

You're quite right, I still don't have my rule book yet (Yay for Forge World standard shipping) so it's hard to get a real grasp on the HH rule for Lords of War. I've got two Veletaris Storm Sections ordered as it stands (One is express and the other I ordered about 5 days later as standard) and my next order will need to be the Auxilia Command Section followed by 2 Dracosans for the Storm Sections. I'll be getting the Veletaris Power Axe guys when they are release and attaching the Lord Marshal to them which will then require a 3rd Dracosan. Heavy Support will start with 3 CHOOOM Leman Russ Variants followed by a Malcador Annihilator.

Basic strategy mount up, Demolisher cannons to soften the lines, dismount....Storm Sections CHOOOOM!...Leman Russ Incinerators CHOOOOOOM!...the Annihilator engages enemy armor...and then assault with much fierce axe-swinging Choppy Choppy!

Somewhere in there I'll need to put some time aside to weep in the corner for my fallen wallet but hopefully the really cool army on the table will make up for it. Needless to say this army won't be as rapidly formed as the Lions of Leander VI; the slow response time by Forge World on orders coupled with the shipping/tax expenses makes this project a slow and arduous one. I cringed when I totaled up just the two Storm Sections and the Horus Heresy Book 4 - Conquest, the damage done was just north of $300, but at least I've been able to spread it out over time.

Now if the book would just show up so I could decide on a paint scheme and also give me an excuse to procrastinate some more on doing my Realm of Battle board! I've been in a rut on it since I found out I might have to be out of town on business the day of the showing, yet the meeting is still in the air as well. I truly cannot stand indecision when planning time critical projects. mellow.png

Lol, indecision is the mark of the family man or the professional who kinda accepts that one must work to fund ones hobbies...

Bro, Rome was not built in a day.

Now if we could just find a way to clone our work selves ....

Or somehow get a couple of real life painting cherubs....

Or win the lottery...

Or get gov funding? Hell, if a woman can get plastic surgary on the NHS cos she feels low why can't we get a grant to load up on forgeworld pretties to cure our gaming inferiority complexes ;-)

Lol, indecision is the mark of the family man or the professional who kinda accepts that one must work to fund ones hobbies...

Bro, Rome was not built in a day.

Now if we could just find a way to clone our work selves ....

Or somehow get a couple of real life painting cherubs....

Or win the lottery...

Or get gov funding? Hell, if a woman can get plastic surgary on the NHS cos she feels low why can't we get a grant to load up on forgeworld pretties to cure our gaming inferiority complexes ;-)

Seriously, you have no idea how close to reality this hits and now that I've jumped off the high dive into the Horus Heresy I feel like a fish out of water. Leman Russ tanks...have no sponsons?! Single squads cost $100+ shipped if I want them in the next millenium?! Life would be so much easier if I didn't love these models so much that I'm damn near chomping at the bit to paint them. I ordered $50 in new paints just for color tests! Gah...

Then I saw it in the corner of my apartment...a singular way to sate the paint monster growing within...my Cadian Defense Force Box with an unassembled Leman Russ tank inside. I'm fairly certain something akin to Hannibal's "Hello Clarice" came out of my mouth at that moment as I pulled the sprues out and began inspecting them. There was a serious failure to communicate in the stocking of the sprues in front of me.

As I now have my wonderful Horus Heresy Book 4 in hand, I found that Leman Russ' fall under 2 categories in it Strike Squadrons and Assault Squadrons. Strike Squadrons can be comprised of up to three Leman Russ tanks of the Annihilator, Basic, Exterminator, and Vanquisher types...and most importantly, they have Outflank applied to the squadron. Being able to have 3 anti-armor monsters popping up behind an enemies tanks and opening up on their weak point is happy times as far as I'm concerned.

The Vanquisher, while hilariously big gunned, is a 1 shot 3 BS chance at hitting them while the Annihilator, upgraded to have a Lascannon in the hull stacked on with the twin-link lascannon, has a significantly higher chance of getting a hard hitting shot in. Now focus the entire squadron on something and there's a good chance they will severely damage the target if not destroy it. So I had already made my decision on Annihilators for my Strikers as I'm going to have Incinerators (Volkite Demi-Culverins) as my Assault Squadron of Lemans.

Which leads us to the critical failure to communicate in the sprue now in front of me. There was not an Annihilator cannon mount available and as I had not built a Leman Russ since the only two variants were Demolisher and Standard, I had no freaking idea this was the case. That's when I made the executive decision to perform a mod I had no right doing - I was going to make that damn twin-linked lascannon mount one way or the other.

Keeping in mind up until now the only mods I've made, shy of forcing the Marauder to play nice and go together, was the head on my Inquisitor. I then saw the heavy weapon squads lascannons in the box and decided they had to be sacrificed for the greater good. In the end, I basically took apart the Exterminator cannon mount and cut it at the first reinforcement then merged the Lascannons into it. I didn't keep the bottom bracket because it would not reach back to the turret and looked bad so they are basically replacements for the auto-cannons.

The results are as follows:

http://i.imgur.com/TxZmEqc.png

Now the next hurdle...come up with a new paint scheme, I've been painting the Lions for so long that it's a bit difficult to break away from them.

I came up with this in photoshop but the blue on the armor is evading me when I paint on my test canvas (aka extra flight base) and I can't quite get that real dark slate blue/grey to come up in any manner that would be reasonably doable on a mass scale, so I'll probably shift it as follows:

Armor: Eshin > Nuln > Eshin lightly > Dawnstone

Padding: Eshin > Nuln > Dawnstone > Administratum Grey.

Uniform: Mournfang Brown > Baneblade Brown > Agrax or Sepia wash > Ushbati Bone (light drybrush) > Pallid Wytch (accent)

I could probably do Zandri Dust in there as well but I'm not sure how it handles as a base and the cost on the models, whenever they arrive, makes me hesitant to experiment to much.

(Like I said, ignore the blue hue to the armor unless anyone has some magic hints on getting slate blue to come out and play!)

http://i.imgur.com/3RHAJgC.png

With that being said, the real quandary I am faced with is painting the vehicles themselves. I've pondered doing a chaos black > eshin grey dry brush > nuln oil and then trying to camo pattern it with the same technique I used on my Lions with Administratum Grey (Dawnstone will blend to much in if it's thinned on top). This leads to issues with panels/hatches, as I like to use them as contrast but I'm not sure how I should go about handling them given the inevitably dark greyish urban camo look. Rusted metal is my best idea so far but I don't think it will look right on the larger panels of raised armor.

So any thoughts would be highly appreciated as the primer is now dry on the Annihilator and I haven't touched anything with a brush since I finished the Stormlord, which is pretty much driving me nuts. laugh.png

Hatches open, interior flat white shaded grey/blue, watered down gulliman glaze wash.

Hatches closed... Over head airial Unit id symbol on turret hatch? Mod a periscope on front hull hatch to give it more razed area for dry brushing?

Flat raised panels... Hmmmm , Zimmerite coating???

Hatches open, interior flat white shaded grey/blue, watered down gulliman glaze wash.

Hatches closed... Over head airial Unit id symbol on turret hatch? Mod a periscope on front hull hatch to give it more razed area for dry brushing?

So, I was trying to play with colors and ended up painting the damn thing.  I'm not entirely happy with it but I really like the Ash Scorpion Cohorts backstory and I'm digging around in it to find a way that they actually survive or at least some of them do.  I'm pretty sure I can write something up and their general soldier uniform is almost identical to my existing one.  They have Dark Grey/Red/White on their banner but the red is only in the eye slits of the helmets when I checked the reference images.  I tried to incorporate the red into the Leman Russ and found myself really wanting to use blue again but it's good that I'm forcing myself outside of my comfort zone on it.

I also tried to cut down on the flash as I'm trying to keep my 30K guys darker/more realistic, so neon blue wires streaming out of the vehicles isn't going to work this time around.  I was happy to see that my camo pattern technique works just fine with other colors and the hardest part is just figuring out which base and layer paint for the pattern play well together.

Anyways, keep in mind this is a hacked together Annihilator (yes, I noticed one barrel sits slightly lower than the other) and that I'm mainly testing a paint scheme so I don't ruin some extra expensive resin model later on.  Oh and one last thing, the armor panels on the front sides of the turret are *killing* me...I cannot stress enough how much those panels are pissing me off.  There must be 8 layers of paint on them because everything I tried to put there to help provide contrast just failed miserably.  It's technically darker than the rest of the tank right now, totally different paints being applied to it, but that's hard to see in the pictures.  I may end up having to make it rusted metal like the hatches on the side of the tank but they were a consolation as it is so I'd like to to find another way around it.

http://i.imgur.com/ILaQUSF.png

Looking good; the red spot colour compliments the slate well.

Thanks very much! Using red with some a gray/white color base was kind of nerve wracking because I knew if I put in to much then it would start to look like an Ork hijacked Russ. Really nice to see everyone likes it!

Good work on the Russ, looks very nice topped off with a complementary colour scheme thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I was really concerned it looked to plain but I'm glad to hear you guys like the pattern.

It is a good looking steel coffin, you can see a lot of ww1 mk5 in the design. Muted tones really suit the era.

Thanks man, I haven't used Leman Russ' in a very long time but I'll try to get someone down at my store to square off with the Solar Auxilia guys as soon as they show up in the mail, outflank may give them a nice surprise benefit and perhaps they'll live for a few minutes!

So I've been hammering away at the fluff factor (since the 905th Ash Scorpions are dead) and I think I'm going to start with them being founded with the number 1905th and as they share the 905 number the unit will be named and colored in memory of the Ash Scorpions.

I used my camera to get a high res shot of the Ash Scorpion banner and then re-worked it to fit the unit that would become its namesake.

Original Ash Scorpion Banner:

http://i.imgur.com/QUx7a0b.png

...and introducing the prototype mock up for the 1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort the 'Rust Scorpions'

http://i.imgur.com/NxlePxt.png

That's some nice 'shopping D: 

I thought maybe it could use some more rust and charring than the above image showed, as it shared to many colors with the original, so I've got two test logos below and also a "flat" color logo that I would probably send out for decals to be made of; let me know what you think.

http://i.imgur.com/rryLabB.png

Stop it, stop it. I'm trying to resist the sexy allure of heresy!

Spot on with the Russ though. It looks great and perfect for so solar aux action.

Haha it's all fun and games until you're sitting idle for 1-2 weeks waiting for a model to paint.  Then you get bored and stuff like the logo happens!

Yeah that looks awesome, though I assume you'd use the untextured one for the transfers? (Also, where would you be getting those from? I looked a while back but couldn't find anywhere cheap enough to be worth it)

I found a place in the B&C Announcement forums that was funded by Kickstarter called Fallout Hobbies they charge $35 for the initial sheet but then it's only $15 a transfer sheet for that pattern after.  So I've put together an infantry/small vehicle decal and the medium/large vehicle decal, as they can split the size of the decal across the sheet, and that should handle things for me.

I am unsure if they can do the extremely detailed decals like Forge World does so I've reduced the complexity of the decals to the following:

Infantry Decal (Obviously to be shrunk for the decal sheet):

http://i.imgur.com/WBVVKQY.png

...and the Vehicle Decal:

http://i.imgur.com/Rw0VCrV.png

If there is an issue with the scorpions mottled color, I'll need to decide how to address it as it's a rusted texture that's been smoothed and colorized by myself.  Also while they may seem bright, keep in mind that when shrunk down the decal will become less defined so I'm just attempting to keep it visible in the process.  Fallout Hobbies states they'll send a vector version of the art for approval before proceeding so it's a no risk venture for me!

Scorpions aren't something you usually see in 40k motifs, looks very nice well done thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I really liked it and the history behind the Solar Auxilia Cohort that I'm basing the founding of mine on is absolutely bad ass. They literally blitz through a giant death star like planet, crushing Horus allied mechanicum and only the sergeant of the final squad makes it to the broadcast array that is blocking the entire loyalist fleet from communicating. The sergeant destroys the array, dying in the process, and that's the end of the Ash Scorpions.

I'm not even doing it justice but it gives you a sense of why I was finding it difficult to come up with an excuse to build a Cohort based on them! I've got the fluff in my head now though and I'll be able to finagle together something that will come off legitimate when I post it. Now if I could just settle on the damn color scheme...because I've been all over the place with it.

(waiting for updates intensifies)

Well, you and I are both waiting then! I'm at a bit of an impasse as the resin bases I ordered shipped on Monday and this is on top of another order of bases I have coming from Dragon Forge. With the cost of these guys being so high, I can't justify putting them on plastic bases when I have over 60 combined resin bases paid for and either shipped or waiting to be shipped.

I can tell you this, I have built the first Veletaris Storm Section at a severe disadvantage but I made it work and you'd never know that Forge World had messed the order. Instead of two sets of guns, one primarily with the hands on the stock and the other with the hands on the charging handle, I got only the primarily hands on the guns sprues. (Two of #7 instead of #6 and #7)

So I had to cut the charging handle hands off and then using my model knife shave them down to line up with the hands on the other guns. It was a pain in my ass but my need for immediate gratification would not allow for the time needed to contact FW and have them ship me the #6 sprue/mold. I'm really happy they turned out okay, as I was worried as hell, but trying to paint these guys by holding their foot just isn't going to work for the way my hands are. The shaking has primarily stopped but if I'm pinching something and doing paint brush work it's going to get ugly really fast, I need the base so I can prop/wedge/grip it for stability.

So if I'm lucky they will be here today (Friday) or Saturday because next week could potentially mark an extreme slow down in my painting. I've been working on an invention for almost two years and I am meeting with a significantly large investor late next week who is interested in funding the prototypes creation. On the bonus side it means I'll be able to afford the FW stuff without feeling like I'm selling my organs but it also means I'll be setting up an office, hiring people, and sprinting for 1 year to meet the provisional patent requirements.

It will be hectic but painting is my anti-stress so hopefully I'll still keep you guys interested with finished paint jobs. laugh.png

So the bases did not come today and I think I've finalized the color scheme. My previous color scheme for the soldiers just didn't match the "Rust Scorpion" process and I spent most of yesterday and tonight umm...painting spare bases in layered colors, washes, and dry brushes hunting for the combination that would give me the final look that I wanted. I'm using almost entirely new paints for the armor itself and the color result is pretty awesome, I actually took the color samples for the paints used when I made this image so that I could make sure it matched up in the end. It might be a little bit lighter but that's mostly the shadow in the artwork causing it to appear that way.

For the Volkite gun itself, I'm pondering doing something a bit out there and need some input on whether I'm being crazy or not. For the red portion below, I'm thinking about basing with Screaming Bell, glazing it with Bloodletter (mute the metallic without killing it like a wash would & make the red pop out), dry brushing Wilder Rider Red (shift tone toward the orange/rust), and then a really light dry brush of Fire Dragon Bright around the center of the bands. I haven't tested this color yet as I need to go dig up a bit that has the jagged ridges, probably a Skitarii Eradicator Beam will work though the size is a bit disproportionate, in order to visualize it.

Let me know what you guys think about the following because once I lock the scheme in on one squad, every squad after it is going to be stuck following it. ohmy.png

Colors will be as follows:

Outer Armor:

Base: Skavenblight Dinge

Wash: Agrax Earthsade

Dry Brush: Stormvermin Fur

Light Dry Brush: Dawnstone

Armor Padding (Debating this a bit):

Base: Dryad Bark

Dry Brush: Baneblade Brown

Wash: Seraphim Sepia

Uniform (Mountain/Rock Khaki)

Base: Steel Legion Drab

Wash: Agrax Earthshade

Dry Brush: Baneblade Brown

Visor (Really kicking myself for not ordering Lugganath Orange):

Base: Jokaero Orange

Second Layer: Thinned Troll Slayer Orange.

Steel/Metallic Components (Ole` Faithful):

Base: Warlock Bronze

Wash: Agrax Earthshade

Dry Brush: Leadbealcher

Hopefully that should end up with the following:

http://i.imgur.com/UZnK5sb.png

Archived