Marv's Deathwatch Army...with pics!

marvmoogy

Hi all,

As this is my first post, I'll start by introducing the project.

About a year ago, I decided to start a small Space Maine army. After looking through the Codex, I decided I wanted to run Crimson Fists. Then, as plans developed (and to cut a long story short), I changed the plans to making a Death Watch army, using Crimson Fists tactics but with a large contingent of Crimson Fists representing a change in history. In my world, after the attack on Rynn's World, the High Lords of Terra disbanded the Crimson Fists and they took their place as permanent members of the Deathwatch due to their expertise in xenos slaying.

Anyway, the army will be built using a lot of elite units seeing as how there were a lot of Crimson Fist elite survivors of the Rynn's World incident. It will consist of:

Pedro Kantor & Honour Guard

Watch Captain

Librarian

Chaplain

10 man tactical squad & rhino

10 man tactical squad & rhino

10 Sternguard & Drop pod

10 Vanguard

Venerable Dreadnought

3 Grav centurions

2 Storm Ravens

Storm Talon

As a teaser, I have a few pics below of the Chaplain. Later this week, I'm hoping I'll be able to post pics of Pedro, the Honour Guard, the Watch Captain, the Librarian and the Centurions.

gallery_71376_11256_456093.jpg

gallery_71376_11256_126969.jpg

gallery_71376_11256_665264.jpg

gallery_71376_11256_91872.jpg

I'll update this thread as and when I get new pics & units both as built / WIP and completed minis.

Hope you enjoy!

Marv

Ha ha.  rawr.  I have a brush helmet and I know how to use it.

Cute fluff about disbanding Crimson Fists... but they seem to be still around, just like the Scythes of the Emperor.   Maybe a few scythe shoulder pads on your Deathwatch units too?

Kantor works great with Sternguards.

The army will be a typical Deathwatch mix...the librarian is a Dark Angel, there are imperial fists, black templars, ultramarines, white scars, blood angels, successors, made ups...the list goes on!  But the backbone will be Crimson Fists...

I'm looking forward to playing Kantor...only done it once before

Does Pedro make Sternguard scoring/troops choices?

If so max out on those!!

Your Chaplain looks good, only thing is teedge hghlights look a little thick, but I am guessin in your hand it is not so noticeable.

A promising start

Cheers, Dantay!

You know what my plans are like.....I'll probably end up with a full company of them! ;-)

I can see what you mean about the edge highlights, but you're right...in the hand they look good.  Very happy!  Can't wait to get my hands on the rest of them now!

Yes, choice of highlights on black is always a dicey call.   I dont know how the HeavyMetal team does it, except years of practice and working with photographers.  What looks good in a photo, can look like a piece of candy in hand.  I actually saw a Salamanders army, featured in WhiteDwarf, up close in hand.. and it look like it was highlighted with a crayon.. awesome in the photos though.

In the end?  PAINT WHAT YOU KNOW AND LIKE.  (that can mean "F-U, Ironheaded" too.  :laugh.:)

I go with muted greys in a light drybrushing/edging which doesnt photograph well, but in hand, i'm happy with them.   VEERRWWWY soft.. usually have to go back and liner-brush in the recesses again.  As you can see.. i went too faintly with highlights.  My bad.  Just helmets seem OK.

http://www.gotnurbs.com/ironheaded/dw2.png

Wanna have some fun.. go to dollar store and get "grey" gothy eyeshadow, and rub that on highlights.  It's a fast method of highlighting and/or weathering.  Seal with some softly sprayed varnish afterwards. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Been a bit of a delay with this one - as you may have been following, I have a few projects on the go at the moment!

Here is Kill Team Alpha. This is the first squad which will be played as a Tactical Squad in 40k games. I've tried to give a few models the unique traits of their chapter to set them apart. Whilst this isn't WYSIWYG, I think it definitely fits in to the flavour of the Deathwatch and makes them more interesting to look at on the tabletop. What do you think?

Deathwatch Kill Team Leader

gallery_71376_11538_471235.jpg

Deathwatch Special Weapon Marine

gallery_71376_11538_266007.jpg

Deathwatch Heavy Weapon Marine

gallery_71376_11538_792895.jpg

Deathwatch Space Wolf

gallery_71376_11538_27834.jpg

Deathwatch Kill Team

gallery_71376_11538_784096.jpg

And now for the Chapter markings

gallery_71376_11538_1015351.jpg

With a bit of luck, this weekend will see me adding their dedicated transport (Rhino / Razorback) as well as a Dreadnought and Pedro Kantor. My paint guy for this project is really up against it at the mo, so fingers crossed!

Looking good so far.

The only critique, is that the painter is not thinning his paints when edge highlighting and the highlights seem a bit thick.

Maybe a nuln oil wash to dial them back a little might help. Its maybe just the camera, but it looks like white lines on black.

• 2 years later...

Archived