MG or HF for Fragiosos?

Riedler

Heavy flamer needs extra armour, other wise you can't shoot when shaken or stunned. Melta at least has a snapshot chance. Heavy flamer sure hurts on overwatch tho.

Anyone know if an immobile dreadnaught could overwatch a squad charging from the rear?, and then, if not, can overwatch against a squad in front, before the charge phase ends?

Heavy flamer needs extra armour, other wise you can't shoot when shaken or stunned. Melta at least has a snapshot chance. Heavy flamer sure hurts on overwatch tho.

Anyone know if an immobile dreadnaught could overwatch a squad charging from the rear?, and then, if not, can overwatch against a squad in front, before the charge phase ends?

Advocating a melta due to that exeptionally rare set of circumstances seems a bad idea.

Dreads can kill tough tanks in combat, but struggle with hordes. 2x template weapons is tasty.

Gonna go out on a limb and recommend the MG. Weapons now fire sequentially which means that the frag cannon will already have fired by the time you fire the heavy flamer. A lot of times there will not be anything left alive within template range.

If you are facing 4+ save infantry then you may get more value out of the heavy flamer.

However if you add in a melta gun, you now pose a much more serious threat to MEQs and TEQs as well as having something that can ID T4 multi-wound models. Also against vehicles you now have a melta shot plus 2 automatic S6 Rending hits. I think the melta gun adds a lot to the Fragioso whereas the heavy flamer is going to be overkill against 5+ or worse armour and underkill against MEQs/TEQs.

That said, mine is magnetised. ;)

Some good points from Karherdronuk.

One thing to note is that the frag cannon is point for point better at killing MEQ and TEQ than GEQ, while the heavy flamer is for GEQ and Gaunts.

I say this as the frag wounds both marines and guard on a 2 plus, and allows saves. This allows you to put many wounds onto a marine squad, where each failed save is a big loss.

Say you hit and wound 3 marines and 3 guardsmen. Allowing for armour, thats one dead marine (14pts?) vs 2 dead guardsmen (8pts).

The heavy flamer is more efficient for killing GEQ, while the Frag is more effecient for killing MEQ and TEQ, with that critical rending rule.

Having both the frag and flamer is essentially multi tasking the unit, to allow it to take on all infantry effectively.

The heavy flamer ignoring both 4 plus saves and cover, is is my eyes, more useful to an army, especially when it's already S10 AP2 in combat.

Archived