Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - The Crimson Lions

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts
It's Cocidii not Codicii
The Brotherhood of the Lost

Signature

The IIIrd legion, the Crimson Lions formerly known as the Blood Wolves. http://www.bolterand...-crimson-lions/

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
Even so

Humble scrivener - alternate Episode IX attempt now complete!

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
I'm failing to follow these things up quite a lot right now. Is there a decent Celtic or Scandi word for "unbound" or something similar we could use in place of Cocidii? A certain suggestion of roughness wouldn't hurt.

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts

I'm failing to follow these things up quite a lot right now. Is there a decent Celtic or Scandi word for "unbound" or something similar we could use in place of Cocidii? A certain suggestion of roughness wouldn't hurt.

If I remember right, Cocidii is derived from the gaelic for wanderer. I'm still not convinced that the name needs to change

Signature

The IIIrd legion, the Crimson Lions formerly known as the Blood Wolves. http://www.bolterand...-crimson-lions/

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
It's not a need, I think it'd just help a bit.

Chief Captain Redd

Chief Captain Redd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
  • Faction: The Iron Bears of Daer'dd.
Unbound is neamhcheangailte in Gaelic, but unfettered is gan srian in Gaelic.
gallery_68351_7580_48424.png

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
Gansrii?

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
What furcolor has a mycenean lion?? and what color is his mane?

Edited by MikhalLeNoir, 24 April 2017 - 03:05 PM.

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_78117_10471_62812.png

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,150 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

Cocidii and Codicii look nearly identical when reading rapidly, yet indicate two completely different things. I'm in favour of a name change

sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels
How many exemplary battles have you written?

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
AS it is question time. When HEC and Raktra are Duelling on the planets surface, who accompagnies HEC? And what weapons do theyhave and how do they look?

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts

How many exemplary battles have you written?

Currently two or three. They're likely getting changed though. Currently looking through Anglo-Saxon, Norse and even Byzantine(cuz Varangians) for inspiration.

Mikhal, Hec is accompanied by Clan Mycenor and his Brod(command squad) and Curadhi(wolf guard). How do they look? Well just take a normal marine, celticize them and make them more fancy. Some use regular power armour, some use artificer, others use terminator plate. For the weapons, whatever they're best with. So you've got a lot of flexibility.

Oh and I may have found the perfect nickname for the Lions. "The Emperor's Wineskins"(because, you know, they drink a lot)

Edited by Sigismund229, 02 May 2017 - 09:19 PM.

Signature

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts
I like the nickname.

May I persuade you to go with the single battle format?

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts

I like the nickname.

May I persuade you to go with the single battle format?

Do we need another for balance's sake?

Signature

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts
We might. Just testing waters at this point.

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
I just ask because i need some to be hacked apart^^ I mean Raktra has just finished a mighty backhand slash with his ripper.

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts

As I’ve been meaning to redo the Crimson Lions fluff for a while, while I don’t have time to do much writing, I’m going to write down the ideas I’ve had when I have time.

Pre Primarch:

-Seeing as the legions do seem to have been founded in order, it doesn’t make sense any more for the IIIrd’s original recruiting ground to have been Jurfik as, from what we know, the Emperor’s base of operations was the Himalayas and Jurfik is a long way from there, even taking into account that the legions were being created near the end of the Unification Wars. So, as he’s pushing into Europe, the Emperor conquers Kyiv(a state located where Ukraine is in our day). The idea is that, like our world’s Kievan Rus, this serves as a highway that warriors from Jurfik and Norsca use to travel eastwards to fight as mercenaries. So the idea is that the earliest members of the IIIrd would be drawn from here, a mixture of Jurfik and Scandinavian mercenaries and local Rus warriors.

-At first, the IIIrd is a fast growing legion soon placed on the front lines by the Emperor. However, then a disaster strikes. The first is that 70-80% of their “ready” gene-seed is destroyed in some disaster. At the same time, the IIIrd are surrounded at the Battle of (?) by the nomads of the Atlantyk Plains and suffer heavy losses, having refused to withdraw from the field of battle, charging

forward to aggressively and recklessly, only saved by the newly founded XIIIth, earning them the epithet the Eagle Warriors.

-Then comes the conquest of Jurfik by the Vth legion. While it might perhaps have been prudent to execute the warriors and wreck the kingdom that defied him so fiercely, the Emperor saw in them a way to rebuild the IIIrd and so he offers them a choice: die or join the legions. He then gifts the IIIrd Jurfik as a province from which only they can draw recruits. So, while they continue to draw some recruits from Kyiv, these legionaries rapidly become dwarfed by the number of recruits from Jurfik.

-However, this fresh influx of recruits isn’t enough to boost their strength to a level where they can participate in the Subjugation of Luna. So they miss that, which, due to them being the IIIrd, rankles somewhat and when they join the Great Crusade, at the side of the VIth for a while, they demonstrate a reckless abandon in combat as they try to prove themselves the equal of other legions, notably the Ist and Vth.

-In these days, the rivalry between the IIIrd and Vth also develops.

-Then Jurfik rebels and the IIIrd are either sent in or volounteer to go supress the revolt. Possibly its even viewed as their duty by the Imperium at large as Jurfik is their recruitment province and enforcing the Imperium’s will on it is, therefore, a duty that goes with the privilege of having their own “private” recruitment province. As I’ve outlined before, they raise it to the ground, burning their bridges with Terra.

-Over the few years between the sack of Jurfik and Hectarion’s discovery, they become a legion who deploy themselves in the vanguard, burning worlds that don’t surrender, massacring everyone down to the last child, many theorize to try and hide from their actions in Jurfik by putting on a façade of utter, uncompromising loyalty, pretending that that was why they sacked Jurfik and not because they had the burden driving them to feats of bloodthirst.

-During this time, the instances of the burden skyrocket as the IIIrdand privately the IIIrd begin to think they’re a doomed legion, angering many and driving them to ever higher levels of brutality, leading to a deathspiral whereby more succumb to the burden, so they get angrier and more bitter and more brutal, so more succumb to the burden. 

Signature

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts

The only problem I see with this is that the VIth is also pretty small at this time and was going to be seconded to the III. If both Legions are too small to fight on their own, are there enough numbers for them to fight together?

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts
That could work, pairing them together

Signature

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,799 posts

AO is fine with the bit about the XIII.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
Sigi, are there any units and characters that could do wth banner fluff?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
I just realised where the idea of Raktra and Hec duelling on a fire world came from:
8a0bae141d9a74fd0229a2dc1f721496_9958.jp

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
Sigi, do you have any thoughts on what Forge Worlds might exist within Mycenae, if any?

Sigismund229

Sigismund229

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts

Sigi, do you have any thoughts on what Forge Worlds might exist within Mycenae, if any?

Current thought is that the main bulk will be in the Blood Stars and ruled over by their smith tribes. As far as their relationship to the Mechanicum I'm not sure as it seems it would be difficult to balance them having split loyalties so they're either only nominally part of the Dominion or not part of the Mechanicum

Signature

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
Perhaps have one true Forge World and then the smith tribes exist as part of the Dominion, with some oversight by Mechanicum representatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users